Queta's Attitude

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieSquared
Has thanked: 0

Queta's Attitude

Post by AggieSquared » February 26th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Kudos for Coach Smith sitting Queta for the remainder of the game. I'm also glad they won handily, if I was the coach I would say "Hey buddy, you are not an all-star. Get your crap together or I'll let you ride the pine the remainder of the season."

He definitely needs to contemplate his actions before talking or walking smack.

Thoughts?

BLUERUFiO

Re: Queta's Attitude

Post by BLUERUFiO » February 26th, 2019, 9:39 pm

We’ve been worried about Queta getting a T for this kind of stuff all year and it finally happened. I don’t blame coach for sitting Queta and it gave opportunity for Bean to really shine.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » February 26th, 2019, 9:41 pm

Only thing I can say is that it should have happened earlier, coach should have talked to him during practice.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2019, 9:42 pm

He needed to pick his spot a little better. Brito and McDaniels had been going at it and the refs needed to regain control of the game. It probably shouldn't have been Queta but he's the one who popped off next and drew the whistle.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 26th, 2019, 9:45 pm

Yeah he got a technical but I personally love having a guy with his personality on the team let alone his talent.
And guess what we won. So it was a good learning experience for him.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 5):
usufan1TrueBluesneedJSHarveyStaggerwing3

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » February 26th, 2019, 9:47 pm

BioAggie wrote:Only thing I can say is that it should have happened earlier, coach should have talked to him during practice.
Do we know that Coach Smith or his staff haven't addressed it with him?

He's made some mistakes as a freshman but that is expected.

Let's see how he moves on from this and quit assuming to know what has happened behind closed doors.

Tai Wesley was a player that played with a ton of emotion and walked the line of sportsmanship to annoying for opposing teams.

Wesley struggled fouling out of games early in his career (similar to Queta) but learned to adjust and play within the limits.

I'm glad to have someone like Queta that plays with so much passion. It's a great day to be an Aggie!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 3):
JSHarveyFullStaggerwing3

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » February 26th, 2019, 9:49 pm

His fire and emotion are a big reason for the team being where they are. He just needs to learn to pick his spots and when to pull back the reigns
These users thanked the author brian5562 for the post (total 7):
usufan1Blue42IntermeddlerThunderAggieCodingAggieBluesneedStaggerwing3

mwburn

Queta's Attitude

Post by mwburn » February 26th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Trust coach Smith. He is in control of all aspects of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: mwburn

alaskanaggie

Post by alaskanaggie » February 26th, 2019, 9:55 pm

It was a good teaching moment. It was a luxury we could afford tonight. That kind of emotion is needed but just needs to be controled. Queta will get there and it's not coach Smith coaches without emotion.
These users thanked the author alaskanaggie for the post (total 2):
usufan1ThunderAggie

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 26th, 2019, 10:07 pm

I say keep it up. The benefits outweigh the cost. 30 games into the season and he gets his first technical... The sky is not falling.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 7):
usufan1Blue42IntermeddlerTrueBluenewtonianblueJSHarveyStaggerwing3

rAggie

Post by rAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:15 pm

No offense but I tend to think Coach would say keep it up to Queta. He was passionately arguing with the refs that the T wasn’t justified. I don’t think Queta sitting out the rest of the half had anything to do with being a lesson. He had four fouls, we were up 15-20, and Bean/Taylor were hot. Why mess with that and lose the opportunity to give Nemi some rest. Coach and Nemi sure shares a healthy chest bump at the end of the game for a coach who was teaching a lesson in sportsmanship.

The only thing I love more than Queta’s attitude is that we have a coach who is new school enough to embrace it.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 14):
Blue42Usu0505IntermeddlerTrueBluenewtonianblueooteksneedJSHarveyaggies22ChicAggie and 4 more users

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » February 26th, 2019, 10:20 pm

I would be shocked if coach Smith (or any good coach) would threaten Queta with riding the pine. Maybe you tell him something along the lines of his enthusiasm and energy are awesome, but he needs to avoid crossing the line between celebration and taunting. In a close contest it could cost us the game and that would be tragic.

sl7hk

Post by sl7hk » February 26th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Pacobag wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:20 pm
I would be shocked if coach Smith (or any good coach) would threaten Queta with riding the pine. Maybe you tell him something along the lines of his enthusiasm and energy are awesome, but he needs to avoid crossing the line between celebration and taunting. In a close contest it could cost us the game and that would be tragic.
This! Just teach him the right way to use the enthusiasm to help spur on your team and fans. He will learn and be better from this. What a great asset to have on this team.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm

His jaw flapping, hand gesture was a poor choice, but you can be sure it was in retaliation to the actual jaw flapping of the sdsu guy playing against him. Tone it down a little towards the other team and continue to spur on the fans. If he gets a t for that, the students would surely let the ref have it.

These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post (total 2):
TrueBlueChicAggie

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » February 26th, 2019, 11:01 pm

rAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:15 pm
No offense but I tend to think Coach would say keep it up to Queta. He was passionately arguing with the refs that the T wasn’t justified. I don’t think Queta sitting out the rest of the half had anything to do with being a lesson. He had four fouls, we were up 15-20, and Bean/Taylor were hot. Why mess with that and lose the opportunity to give Nemi some rest. Coach and Nemi sure shares a healthy chest bump at the end of the game for a coach who was teaching a lesson in sportsmanship.

The only thing I love more than Queta’s attitude is that we have a coach who is new school enough to embrace it.
Totally agree. He sat because he had four fouls and the other bigs were in the groove, so no reason to put him back out there. I don’t believe for one second he sat to learn a lesson. Love me some Queta attitude.
These users thanked the author newtonianblue for the post:
Zaggie07

WAaggieFan

Queta's Attitude

Post by WAaggieFan » February 26th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Quetatude!!!

These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post (total 2):
Staggerwing3donlarson8

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 26th, 2019, 11:20 pm

I'm going to withhold judgement until I see the T. What did he do? I was watching live and didn't see anything that warranted the tech.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 26th, 2019, 11:30 pm

I'm with rAggie. After the T he had 4 fouls, and we were up by 20 by the time Queta would have been back in the game. Those things had more to do with him sitting the rest of the game than his attitude.

I like Queta's attitude. Only negative thing about tonight's game is that Queta let the SDSU post players take his focus of the game on on to them. His attitude is fine, but stay focused and play well.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Zaggie07

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 26th, 2019, 11:31 pm

dyedblue wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement until I see the T. What did he do? I was watching live and didn't see anything that warranted the tech.

He made a talking to much gesture with his hand to McDaniels. I think he could have said what he said without the gesture and never would have got the T. I knew the T was coming has hard as the SDSU players and staff was whining about it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

ususports

Post by ususports » February 27th, 2019, 12:02 am

WAAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm
His jaw flapping, hand gesture was a poor choice, but you can be sure it was in retaliation to the actual jaw flapping of the sdsu guy playing against him. Tone it down a little towards the other team and continue to spur on the fans. If he gets a t for that, the students would surely let the ref have it.
San Diego State's big guy did the same hand gesture to Queta when we played them in California a couple of weeks ago when Queta fouled him creating an and-one.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 27th, 2019, 12:46 am

ususports wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:02 am
WAAggie wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 10:37 pm
San Diego State's big guy did the same hand gesture to Queta when we played them in California a couple of weeks ago when Queta fouled him creating an and-one.
That was the vibe that I got from that gesture

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » February 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

I saw this completely different then many I guess. I truly believe he wasn't sat as a discipline thing. In fact when he was pulled from the game Coach was pissed and Queta actually pulled him away from the official. I believe the SDSU bigs where talking at Queta the whole game. I think the reason he sat and stayed there was because we didn't need him. And coach figured, let the big man rest. I truly don't think he was remotely upset with Q at all. It was pretty obvious on TV that he was upset they called the T and Queta but not on the others for jabbering the whole game. The announcers brought it up a couple times that SDSU should have been T'ed up. But I could be wrong :-)
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 4):
brownjeansTrueBlueZaggie07ProvoAggie

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 27th, 2019, 11:22 am

ususports wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:02 am
Interesting. I hadn't seen that. So there was a reason beyond just showing up the SDSU player.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » February 27th, 2019, 11:23 am

What annoyed me was the inconsistency. I know it was from a previous game, and likely a different crew, but the SDSU big did the exact same gesture to Queta the last time we played them...and nothing happened. Why would he think that they would call that a technical foul in the game last night. It was a weak call. Luckily it didn't hurt us and I hope he will avoid that kind of stuff in the future but not lose the swagger and fire that makes him the player he is.
These users thanked the author breadysmith for the post:
Staggerwing3

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 27th, 2019, 11:25 am

a lot of T's depend on what the ref actually sees. Queta's T last night the ref was looking right at him and called it immediately. Just two or three plays before a SD player ran up Diogo's chest and scored then stared him down. No ref was watching that one, they had already turned around and started down the court.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 27th, 2019, 11:48 am

NCAA needs to stop counting Ts against a player's 5 fouls.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
ChicAggieZaggie07Bill_George

andytheaggie

Post by andytheaggie » February 27th, 2019, 1:28 pm

I was at the game last night, and didn't see the gesture, but I saw it later on the KSL evening news. Go to 28:08 in the video.

https://live.ksl.com/event/?v=38122

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl

Post by Floppy Hat » February 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm

The "talking hand" gesture is at the 1:25 mark in the video below:

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 27th, 2019, 3:39 pm

The problem now is the referees are watching Queta, kind of like umpires in major league baseball started watching Yasiel Puig, or NFL refs watch an offensive lineman who has a reputation for being dirty or holding. In Puig's case, they don't give him any quarter because he runs his mouth or does other things that irritate people. If the call was close it was going against him. Well the same is going to happen to Queta-- refs are expecting-- and watching for any little thing. He's going to get called for anything that is close. So he just needs to knock it off. There is a time to do it and you can get away with it. But why do it, if it hurts your team. Let your play do the talking.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 27th, 2019, 4:00 pm

aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
I saw this completely different then many I guess. I truly believe he wasn't sat as a discipline thing. In fact when he was pulled from the game Coach was pissed and Queta actually pulled him away from the official. I believe the SDSU bigs where talking at Queta the whole game. I think the reason he sat and stayed there was because we didn't need him. And coach figured, let the big man rest. I truly don't think he was remotely upset with Q at all. It was pretty obvious on TV that he was upset they called the T and Queta but not on the others for jabbering the whole game. The announcers brought it up a couple times that SDSU should have been T'ed up. But I could be wrong :-)
This is how I saw it as well. He sat down when we were up 7 and we quickly stretched the lead out to double figures. Had the game been closer I think he would have been put back in.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 27th, 2019, 4:25 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 4:00 pm
aggiesdidwhat??? wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:05 am
This is how I saw it as well. He sat down when we were up 7 and we quickly stretched the lead out to double figures. Had the game been closer I think he would have been put back in.
Both sides of this debate are right.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 27th, 2019, 5:37 pm

brownjeans wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:48 am
NCAA needs to stop counting Ts against a player's 5 fouls.
I like it. Give 'em 1st "T" with 2 FTs, and then 2FTs + ejection upon 2nd "T." Similar to Yellow/Red cards.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 27th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Floppy Hat wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm
The "talking hand" gesture is at the 1:25 mark in the video below:

But the tech doesn’t appear to get called until a minute or so later. Are we sure something else didn’t occur?

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » February 27th, 2019, 6:02 pm

The T was called. They blew the whistle, it was slow going to the table, but he was quick on the whistle

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 27th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic