Future Bowl Options

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thetrueaggie

Future Bowl Options

Post by thetrueaggie » December 2nd, 2018, 6:01 pm

Almost all of us can agree that Thompson has got to do a better job at scheduling quality bowl games. There are two things I'd like to see together:

-Warm Weather
-As many P5/AAC opponents as possible

For those who understand better than me how bowl tie-ins work, what could be done to put the conference as a whole in a better position? Genuinely curious.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Future Bowl Options

Post by ProvoAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 6:08 pm

It's hard for western conferences. The Pac-12 has the worst tie-ins of the power conferences. Bowl games are made for TV and as long as eastern teams get better coverage during the regular season, they'll get better bowl games because they get better ratings. It's just getting worse for the Mountain West with us losing the Vegas bowl.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 2nd, 2018, 6:17 pm

I'd rather go to a Florida bowl and play a P5 team than what we have had to deal with the last 7 years. That probably won't be an option, but I wish they would branch out east of the mississippi to give us better matchup opportunities.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 2nd, 2018, 6:33 pm

Wait... We're losing Las Vegas?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:Wait... We're losing Las Vegas?
Yes. When it moves to the new stadium it will most likely be a Pac-12/SEC matchup. They've said that they aren't renewing with the Mountain West.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » December 2nd, 2018, 8:26 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm
Yes. When it moves to the new stadium it will most likely be a Pac-12/SEC matchup. They've said that they aren't renewing with the Mountain West.

I think Las Vegas should and probably will eventually have two bowl games - one around the time of the current game, and one closer to NYE with more of a marquee matchup. Also, don't be surprised to see Las Vegas putting its hat in the ring for future National Championship games in the new stadium... they already expect to be awarded the Super Bowl within a few years after it opens.

Construction on the stadium is moving along quickly, and it is looking pretty spectacular.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 2nd, 2018, 8:41 pm

The problem is that there is a huge dropoff after Vegas. Losing the Poinsettia hurt us bad. Two things that would make a big difference.

We need to retire the Spud Bowl and replace it with a new bowl in Southern California/Texas/Arizona against a P5 or AAC school (to really replace the Poinsettia — the AZ Bowl is fine, but not the same quality as the Poinsettia)

We need to find a replacement for Vegas in a warm climate that pits our champ against a P5 school.

The New Mexico, Hawaii, and Arizona Bowls are all fine rewards for middling MW teams with 7-9 wins. The problem is if we are top heavy like we are this year, someone with 10 wins get stuck playing in New Mexico because it is currently our second best bowl.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 9:04 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 8:26 pm
ProvoAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 6:52 pm

I think Las Vegas should and probably will eventually have two bowl games - one around the time of the current game, and one closer to NYE with more of a marquee matchup. Also, don't be surprised to see Las Vegas putting its hat in the ring for future National Championship games in the new stadium... they already expect to be awarded the Super Bowl within a few years after it opens.

Construction on the stadium is moving along quickly, and it is looking pretty spectacular.
I agree that Vegas should and probably will have 2 bowl games. Hopefully we can be part of the 2nd one. I also think that San Diego needs to have 2 bowl games. It's a great city to visit. There is no reason that the Poinsettia Bowl had to die in a world that still has the Potato Bowl.

dogie

Post by dogie » December 2nd, 2018, 9:14 pm

I also think a new Las Vegas bowl game would be ideal. Vegas hosts numerous college basketball tournaments in November and March and all kinds of other sporting events throughout the year. It seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to set up a MWC/AAC matchup there.

I also agree that there needs to be another Southern California bowl, either in San Diego or Los Angeles. I can’t think of an Orange County venue that could host a bowl, but that would also be a great location.

The FBS seems that they could support two more bowl games. Every team in the country loves bowls. Getting six tie-ins (preferably in the southern tier of states) needs to be job #1 for the MWC during the off-season.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 2nd, 2018, 9:20 pm

Reconstitute Raisin Bowl

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » December 2nd, 2018, 9:28 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 9:20 pm
Reconstitute Raisin Bowl
Ah, yes, The AARP Reconstituted Raisin Bowl, secondarily sponsored by Prune Juice

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » December 2nd, 2018, 9:29 pm

USU78 wrote:
Reconstitute Raisin Bowl
Wouldn't that be a Grape Bowl?

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » December 2nd, 2018, 9:38 pm

dogie wrote:I also think a new Las Vegas bowl game would be ideal. Vegas hosts numerous college basketball tournaments in November and March and all kinds of other sporting events throughout the year. It seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to set up a MWC/AAC matchup there.

I also agree that there needs to be another Southern California bowl, either in San Diego or Los Angeles. I can’t think of an Orange County venue that could host a bowl, but that would also be a great location.

The FBS seems that they could support two more bowl games. Every team in the country loves bowls. Getting six tie-ins (preferably in the southern tier of states) needs to be job #1 for the MWC during the off-season.
Big A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 2nd, 2018, 9:38 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 9:29 pm
USU78 wrote:
Reconstitute Raisin Bowl
Wouldn't that be a Grape Bowl?
there actually was a grape bowl, in Lodi, decades ago

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 2nd, 2018, 9:51 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 9:38 pm
dogie wrote:I also think a new Las Vegas bowl game would be ideal. Vegas hosts numerous college basketball tournaments in November and March and all kinds of other sporting events throughout the year. It seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to set up a MWC/AAC matchup there.

Big A

This Big A would be a terrible place for a bowl game (and that's coming from someone that loves the stadium). When the Rams moved they modified the stadium to make sure that football wouldn't ever return. Most of the football games in baseball stadiums are bad as is and this one isn't designed for it anymore.

dogie

Post by dogie » December 2nd, 2018, 10:14 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 9:38 pm

Big A

I guess that would be the revival of the Freedom Bowl that went under about a quarter century ago.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 2nd, 2018, 10:17 pm

The new rams stadium might be a good location for a freedon bowl reboot.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

dogie

Post by dogie » December 2nd, 2018, 10:24 pm

My mother-in-law’s brother is the President of Camping World. Maybe I’ll talk with him about sponsoring a Camping World West Bowl in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Orange County, or San Diego. He is a huge sports fan and Camping World has a massive marketing budget directed to sporting events and venues.

I will seriously talk with him in the next few months about this idea.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 2nd, 2018, 10:26 pm

Didn’t Hartwell, or the commissioner, say there is already something in the works?

Where only sage brush grows

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 2nd, 2018, 10:30 pm

The Vegas bowl actually kind of sucks. Aren't we admitting that our champ is no better than 6th place in PAC-12?

I'd like to think that's a bad assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 2nd, 2018, 11:48 pm

What I think is sad is that out of 40 bowl games, only five of them will pitch a G5 team against a P5 team. Four of them are between the AAC and a P5 team counting the NY6 bowl, and only one of them is between a MWC team and a P5 team and that’s the game with Boise State which isn’t even one of our guarantee bowls. Thompson must do better

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 2nd, 2018, 11:55 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 10:30 pm
The Vegas bowl actually kind of sucks. Aren't we admitting that our champ is no better than 6th place in PAC-12?

I'd like to think that's a bad assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't looked, but I'm betting that PAC-12 #1-5 are probably playing against other P5 programs. And #6 WANTS to play another P5, but has to take what they get.

Ideally, I'd like to see us have a bowl against the PAC-12 #4 or 5 (but we'll probably have to continue to settle for #6), Big-12 #5 or 6, and AAC #2. If we have bowls with any other G5 conferences, we shouldn't be getting lower than a #2 team. Their conference champions also want to play P5 teams, after all.

Another reason to consider going after a team (or teams) in Texas in a potential conference expansion (or replacement, if something were to happen to the Hawaii football only affiliation) is the potential to have a long term bowl in Texas against a Big-12, Big-10, or SEC team.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 2nd, 2018, 11:55 pm

USUBlue wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 11:48 pm
What I think is sad is that out of 40 bowl games, only five of them will pitch a G5 team against a P5 team. Four of them are between the AAC and a P5 team counting the NY6 bowl, and only one of them is between a MWC team and a P5 team and that’s the game with Boise State which isn’t even one of our guarantee bowls. Thompson must do better
Thompson must be fired.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 3rd, 2018, 12:21 am

1- Add a Vegas bowl for our champ to face the top rated G5 not involved in a NY6 bowl.
2- Add a San Diego Bowl back in to replace Poinsettia for our #2 team to face PAC #6
3- try and set up a sponsor to do a bowl game in one of the soccer stadiums in The LA market or in the Angels stadium, the Disney bowl or something.
4- get tie in with a bowl in the Phoenix area
5- boost up the Arizona bowl
6- Grow the Frisco Bowl or get a tie in with Armed Forces bowl
7- Hawaii Bowl

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 3rd, 2018, 12:30 am

All good ideas hipster
Last edited by USUBlue on December 3rd, 2018, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 3rd, 2018, 12:40 am

Mainly just get away from Boise and if possible Alberqurque, neither are destination cities and really don’t feel like a reward for the hard effort of the players. Would be nice to have 6 for sure warm weather, destination bowl games. 2 in Cali without question. The Hawaii Bowl is a given. The other 3 should each come from Vegas, Arizona, and Texas.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » December 3rd, 2018, 8:03 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 8:41 pm
The problem is that there is a huge dropoff after Vegas. Losing the Poinsettia hurt us bad. Two things that would make a big difference.

We need to retire the Spud Bowl and replace it with a new bowl in Southern California/Texas/Arizona against a P5 or AAC school (to really replace the Poinsettia — the AZ Bowl is fine, but not the same quality as the Poinsettia)

We need to find a replacement for Vegas in a warm climate that pits our champ against a P5 school.

The New Mexico, Hawaii, and Arizona Bowls are all fine rewards for middling MW teams with 7-9 wins. The problem is if we are top heavy like we are this year, someone with 10 wins get stuck playing in New Mexico because it is currently our second best bowl.
At the end of the day, even after an historically good season, we are a middling MW team (Fresno State and Boise both finished a head of us)

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » December 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

dogie wrote:
December 2nd, 2018, 9:14 pm
I also think a new Las Vegas bowl game would be ideal. Vegas hosts numerous college basketball tournaments in November and March and all kinds of other sporting events throughout the year. It seems like it wouldn’t be that hard to set up a MWC/AAC matchup there.

I don't think Carson City is quite in Orange County, but it's right next door to the O.C. The MLS stadium in Carson (where the Chargers have been playing the past two seasons) would be a perfect venue for a bowl game.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieVoice » December 3rd, 2018, 4:27 pm

I think it would be great to have a bowl tie in for each of the other 4 G5 conferences. Right now we have 2 with Conference USA, both at our venues. Can't we drop one of them and add the American instead? We could even go to their place (Orlando, Tampa, Memphis, New Orleans)

I like the idea of a bowl with the #2 & #3 ranked conference champions from the G5 (since #1 takes NY6) this year Fresno vs App State. Do it in San Antonio, great winter city that only has one bowl and its kind of in the middle of the country.

Vegas Bowl with another P5 conference tie in (could we get the Big 12?)

Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego State's new stadium with Pac 12.

New Mexico against Conference USA

Hawaii against MAC

Arizona against Sun belt

This year:
1) Fresno - G5 game in San Antonio against App State (maybe this would be lame as the conference champ?)
2) Boise - Vegas Bowl against Big 12 (TCU or Baylor)
3) USU - Poinsettia in San Diego against Pac 12 (Arizona State)
4) Nevada - East Coast game against the American (South Florida or Tulane)
5) Hawaii - Hawaii Bowl against Western Michigan
6) San Diego State - New Mexico Bowl against North Texas
7) Wyoming - Arizona Bowl against Arkansas State

Locked Previous topicNext topic