Yost as head coach?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Sike

Yost as head coach?

Post by Sike » November 29th, 2018, 11:04 am

It sounds like Matt Wells is a done deal to Texas Tech and if true, would Yost be considered for the HC position? I'm sure he has offers as an OC better than what we can pay a HC.

jeepnfonz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Yost as head coach?

Post by jeepnfonz » November 29th, 2018, 11:11 am

I sure hope we are trying to keep Yost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » November 29th, 2018, 11:12 am

I heard Matt was offered 1.1m to stay as HC, and Yost was offered 350k to stay as OC.

jeepnfonz
Been thanked: 0

Post by jeepnfonz » November 29th, 2018, 11:14 am

That’s not enough.

utahcountyaggie

Post by utahcountyaggie » November 29th, 2018, 11:15 am

If Wells was interviewed in SLC on Tuesday.....would that possibly mean Yost was with him?
I posted the picture of Wells at the SLC airport Wednesday morning...saying that a friend had seen him and taken it "yesterday" (Tuesday). We now know that he was flying to California WITH YOST.

It would seem that Wells was in Salt Lake (with Yost) and interviwed before flying to California. Not out of the realm of possibility that Yost was involved in the interview process to some degree.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 29th, 2018, 11:16 am

jeepnfonz wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:14 am
That’s not enough.

But that is enough to hire a great replacement HC and OC if it comes to that.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 29th, 2018, 11:18 am

I thought that Hartwell said that our offer would be considered lucrative by Mountain West standards? Is 1.1. million lucrative when BoBo gets 1.8 million a year?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 29th, 2018, 11:22 am

thansen wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:18 am
I thought that Hartwell said that our offer would be considered lucrative by Mountain West standards? Is 1.1. million lucrative when BoBo gets 1.8 million a year?
Yes it puts Wells in the top four in the Mountain West

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 29th, 2018, 11:27 am

Yost will not be the Aggies new head coach.
1. He might go with Wells...if Wells goes.
2. More likely that he goes as OC to someone who pays more to their OC than Texas Tech does.

Those are the two scenarios. If Wells does stay...Yost doesn’t, IMO.

I actually don’t see Yost as a “head coach type” . Too laid back...and I think that kind of personality creates a good balance with the head coach. Good for the players to have.
I WISH THEY WOULD BOTH STAY!

thansen

Post by thansen » November 29th, 2018, 11:35 am

USUBlue wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:22 am
thansen wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:18 am
Yes it puts Wells in the top four in the Mountain West
It increases his salary 200k and moves him up one spot to #5. Not sure if that's lucrative by MW standards?

1. (66) Mike Bobo, CSU, $1.8 million

2. (72) Bryan Harsin, Boise State, $1.65 million

3. (76) Jeff Tedford, Fresno State, $1.55 million

4. (85) Craig Bohl, Wyoming, $1.41 million

5. x-Troy Calhoun, Air Force, $950,000* (Per the Colorado Springs Gazette)

6. (85) Matt Wells, Utah State, $900,000

7. (87) Rocky Long, San Diego State, $873,576

8. (90) Bob Davie, New Mexico, $823,740

9. (106) Tony Sanchez, UNLV, $600,000

10. (107) Brent Brennan, San Jose State, $590,424

11. (113) Jay Norvell, Nevada, $500,000

12. (114) Nick Rolovich, Hawaii, $486,504

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 29th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:12 am
I heard Matt was offered 1.1m to stay as HC, and Yost was offered 350k to stay as OC.
Disappointing if accurate. :disappointed: A nice bump for Yost but MW basically makes that now.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Gotta say I’m a little surprised at Rocky Long’s salary...

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » November 29th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Aglicious wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:16 pm
Aggieforlife wrote:
Disappointing if accurate. :disappointed: A nice bump for Yost but MW basically makes that now.
I’m guessing this is a base salary before bonus incentives

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » November 29th, 2018, 12:29 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
Yes, 1.1 was base before bonuses and Insensitives.

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 29th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Wells has been offered more than 1.1mil to stay here. Don't know what Yost was offered for retention, but do know that more money have been secured to increase both head coach and assistant pay for retention.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:29 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Aglicious wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
Yes, 1.1 was base before bonuses and Insensitives.
I want to know more about these insensitives 😉

IdAggie

Post by IdAggie » November 29th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Part of Wells accepting is that he can bring his assistants along as desired. If he accepts, we could see a big exodus of assistants. He is very loyal to the staff he has put together.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » November 29th, 2018, 12:39 pm

IdAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:34 pm
Part of Wells accepting is that he can bring his assistants along as desired. If he accepts, we could see a big exodus of assistants. He is very loyal to the staff he has put together.
What would that mean for the bowl game? Who would be left to coach?

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 29th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Aglicious wrote:
Aggieforlife wrote:
The problem is we don't have the money... this is literally probably the maximum that USU can offer, even when pulling out all of the stops and finding money from every source possible, especially considering we are still paying off all of the capital improvements and will be for some time. We need more donors, more people willing to invest in the program. We are outperforming our budget regularly, which speaks highly of the quality of leadership we have had and currently have in the athletics department.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 29th, 2018, 1:07 pm

It’s just football folks. We offer what we can afford and try to be competitive in the MWC. I don’t think football needs to be the #1 priority of donors - hell we can’t even fill a small stadium. Let’s offer Nevada’s HC he would triple his salary and he is winning. I don’t think trying to compete with P5 money is a good strategy for USU. Wells has had a lot of success, good for him. He’s gone now or in a couple more if he stays successful. I am ok with being a program that will lose good coaches too bigger programs. That’s just who we are - I think anything over a million is great for USU. It that doesn’t intrigue Wells, we look for someone hungry to prove them-self

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Sorry but the “it’s just who we are” mentality has not served us well for 50 years. If we’re not improving and staying competitive, we will fall to the bottom once again because our peers will not take that course.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 29th, 2018, 1:51 pm

So what happens to the University if we are not more competitive than we are now grouse? Honestly I don't know one person who attended USU because of the football program outside the football players. We don't have the fan support or the money to try to keep good coaches who get P5 offers. That is who we are. We can "improve and stay competitive" by working within those bounds (which we have done since Gary btw). We have to know our limitations and work within them. Yelling about not paying enough every time a coach has a better offer really doesn't call for improvement of give us a path to being more competitive.

My point is we compete in the sector we can. We offer a competitive salary for our competition and conference. We try to find talented coaches who want to make a name for themselves and are hungry. We watch them go to a bigger program 5 years later; rinse and repeat. Just saying we need more donors will not make it happen. We can't get 20k fans to consistently show up to games. We are a long ways away from being able to compete with bigger programs and honestly I wonder what the point would be. USU is not a football school. Our program should be competitive, it should be fun, but I don't want to see people quit donating to engineering, business, education, etc to funnel everything into our football program - which will not be profitable until we can consistently fill the stadium. I don't want to fund a program that every time we have a coach who when he has a cake schedule and does well you have to increase his salary another 40%.

I'm just saying - its going to be ok to watch Wells go. He has been here long enough and put us in a position where we should be able to hire a better coach than he was when we hired him. I'm fine with coaches moving on to bigger programs. We are a stepping stone, that may hurt to hear - but if you accept it and then find out how you can excel in that environment you can be successful and competitive year after year.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » November 29th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 1:51 pm
So what happens to the University if we are not more competitive than we are now grouse? Honestly I don't know one person who attended USU because of the football program outside the football players. We don't have the fan support or the money to try to keep good coaches who get P5 offers. That is who we are. We can "improve and stay competitive" by working within those bounds (which we have done since Gary btw). We have to know our limitations and work within them. Yelling about not paying enough every time a coach has a better offer really doesn't call for improvement of give us a path to being more competitive.

My point is we compete in the sector we can. We offer a competitive salary for our competition and conference. We try to find talented coaches who want to make a name for themselves and are hungry. We watch them go to a bigger program 5 years later; rinse and repeat. Just saying we need more donors will not make it happen. We can't get 20k fans to consistently show up to games. We are a long ways away from being able to compete with bigger programs and honestly I wonder what the point would be. USU is not a football school. Our program should be competitive, it should be fun, but I don't want to see people quit donating to engineering, business, education, etc to funnel everything into our football program - which will not be profitable until we can consistently fill the stadium. I don't want to fund a program that every time we have a coach who when he has a cake schedule and does well you have to increase his salary another 40%.

I'm just saying - its going to be ok to watch Wells go. He has been here long enough and put us in a position where we should be able to hire a better coach than he was when we hired him. I'm fine with coaches moving on to bigger programs. We are a stepping stone, that may hurt to hear - but if you accept it and then find out how you can excel in that environment you can be successful and competitive year after year.
I agree, and btw, Texas Tech is a stepping stone also at a different level. In 3 years, if Wells is successful (don't believe he will be), he'll move on to a bigger P5 program. If not, he'll get canned and become the travelling coordinator again.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 29th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:39 pm
IdAggie wrote:
John Hartwell or Craig Smith, whoever is available.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 29th, 2018, 2:05 pm

USUBlue wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 1:57 pm
Chupamedia wrote:

I agree, and btw, Texas Tech is a stepping stone also at a different level. In 3 years, if Wells is successful (don't believe he will be), he'll move on to a bigger P5 program. If not, he'll get canned and become the travelling coordinator again.
Or he will come back to USU if/when things don't work out with GA.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » November 29th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Aggieforlife wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 12:39 pm
IdAggie wrote:
If he is feeling up to it, I vote for nightrunner to coach the bowl game.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 29th, 2018, 2:18 pm

utahcountyaggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:15 am
If Wells was interviewed in SLC on Tuesday.....would that possibly mean Yost was with him?
I posted the picture of Wells at the SLC airport Wednesday morning...saying that a friend had seen him and taken it "yesterday" (Tuesday). We now know that he was flying to California WITH YOST.

It would seem that Wells was in Salt Lake (with Yost) and interviwed before flying to California. Not out of the realm of possibility that Yost was involved in the interview process to some degree.
Or it could mean that Yost is planning on taking the HC job, and they both went to visit recruits to make sure the players stay committed. :noidea:

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 29th, 2018, 2:23 pm

USUBlue wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 1:57 pm
Chupamedia wrote:

Maybe GA will be shopping for an OC by that time. 2012 repeat! :rock:

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 29th, 2018, 2:24 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 2:18 pm
utahcountyaggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 11:15 am

Or it could mean that Yost is planning on taking the HC job, and they both went to visit recruits to make sure the players stay committed. :noidea:
I love what Yost has done with the offense, but he doesn't strike me as a HC.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » November 29th, 2018, 3:03 pm

We need to face the fact that we are a spring board for promotion. If a coach can come in here and win, then they know that in 3-4 years they could receive the big offer and go to the next job. We are not a coaches destination hot spot, nor should we think we are. We should continue to pay the coaches $750,000 -$1,000,000. A coach that is building a resume would look at us as the school that has the potential to catapult them to the big leagues and will be willing to take a little less knowing that they will make bank on the next job or two.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 29th, 2018, 3:05 pm

BioAggie wrote:We need to face the fact that we are a spring board for promotion. If a coach can come in here and win, then they know that in 3-4 years they could receive the big offer and go to the next job. We are not a coaches destination hot spot, nor should we think we are. We should continue to pay the coaches $750,000 -$1,000,000. A coach that is building a resume would look at us as the school that has the potential to catapult them to the big leagues and will be willing to take a little less knowing that they will make bank on the next job or two.
I think the admin, players, and fans have all understood this for forever.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 29th, 2018, 3:15 pm

BioAggie wrote:
November 29th, 2018, 3:03 pm
We need to face the fact that we are a spring board for promotion. If a coach can come in here and win, then they know that in 3-4 years they could receive the big offer and go to the next job. We are not a coaches destination hot spot, nor should we think we are. We should continue to pay the coaches $750,000 -$1,000,000. A coach that is building a resume would look at us as the school that has the potential to catapult them to the big leagues and will be willing to take a little less knowing that they will make bank on the next job or two.
Yep, And that is a good thing for us, we will attract higher talent if they know others have moved onto/accepted bigger time jobs versus the 90's and 2000's it's a place you go to ruin your career.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 29th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Are we now eliminating coaches based on hairstyle?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm

TT fans want Night Runner to join MW in Lubbock. Sorry Red Raiders!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Chupamedia wrote:

I guess I misunderstood your post. I agree that we will never compete with the major P5 schools. I meant compete with our peers not them and it sounds like that is what you meant too. My point was that we should not accept that we can’t fill our stadium or compete year in and year out for our conference title. It’s not unrealistic in my view to try to do that. I wasn’t suggesting that somehow we are going to compete with the big boys someway somehow. I get that that is just not in the cards.

Locked Previous topicNext topic