"Every job is open"

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

"Every job is open"

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2016, 12:16 am

On the radio, Al asked Wells if there will be competition at quarterback next year. He said that when you win three games, EVERY job is open, meaning that Hobbs will get a chance.

MacAggie

Re: "Every job is open"

Post by MacAggie » November 27th, 2016, 12:18 am

He also said "it's always been open" right after he said that...

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 27th, 2016, 12:19 am

Is Wells' job open too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 27th, 2016, 12:23 am

If he refuses to play Hobbs during a 3-9 season, I don't see anyway he actually has an open competition.

I'll be shocked if Myers isn't starting again.

N8boz

Post by N8boz » November 27th, 2016, 12:27 am

Matt needs to be let go. He's not a quality coach.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 27th, 2016, 12:32 am

Coach speak.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 27th, 2016, 12:48 am

"Every job is open." -- Matt Wells

"Every sperm is sacred." -- Monty Python

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » November 27th, 2016, 12:50 am

It's all bull. He said just before this "The QB is coming back next year."

We'll see the same thing next year. Maybe win 4 games because of a weaker schedule.

Bulls On Parade

99577Ag
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by 99577Ag » November 27th, 2016, 1:29 am

Jordan Love should be the starter next year. Start fresh.

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."
Vince Lombardi

AgMac

Re:

Post by AgMac » November 27th, 2016, 1:33 am

2004AG wrote:If he refuses to play Hobbs during a 3-9 season, I don't see anyway he actually has an open competition.

I'll be shocked if Myers isn't starting again.

This. Absolutely this. We won 3 games this year and Wells refused to try something else. I don't know that Hobbs was the answer. But try something different.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » November 27th, 2016, 6:06 am

Hobbs isn't the answer. He's a good running QB, but that's all we've seen. What makes people think he would be better than Myers?

If anything, I would expect Love to challenge for the starting spot but Hobbs has been competing with Myers for multiple years now and has ended up the backup. I don't see anything changing there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 27th, 2016, 7:56 am

Maybe since losing our bruising running back this year seems to be Wells' scapegoat, why didn't it ever occur to the coaches to convert Hobbs or an LB to that position? Wells clearly doesn't see Hobbs as an option at QB, so at least try using his talents at RB. Coaches have to find ways to get talent on the field and Hobbs is one of our best athletes.

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » November 27th, 2016, 8:47 am

I'm all for giving Jordan Love a chance.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 27th, 2016, 8:54 am

What is the love fest for Mayes, the guy showed some potential for sure, but he didn't do jack squat for us.

Hobbs is not better than Myers, although I'd like to have seen him play.

As much as it pains me to say it, our fans act like BYU fans more than we care to admit. They actually cheered when Taysom got hurt. Ours would have given Myers the same treatment.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on November 27th, 2016, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 27th, 2016, 8:56 am

AggieMan5 wrote:I'm all for giving Jordan Love a chance.
I would love to see Love and Colombi battle it out but I would be very surprised if Colombi ends up at USU. No inside info but just a gut feeling. If you were Colombi would you come here? Discuss.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » November 27th, 2016, 9:04 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Maybe since losing our bruising running back this year seems to be Wells' scapegoat, why didn't it ever occur to the coaches to convert Hobbs or an LB to that position? Wells clearly doesn't see Hobbs as an option at QB, so at least try using his talents at RB. Coaches have to find ways to get talent on the field and Hobbs is one of our best athletes.
Don't know that it is wise to use your #2 QB at RB.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 27th, 2016, 9:04 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
I would love to see Love and Colombi battle it out but I would be very surprised if Colombi ends up at USU. No inside info but just a gut feeling. If you were Colombi would you come here? Discuss.
I would. Clearly a wide open position IMO. At worst a senior starter heading out. Great facilities. Great college town and college experience. Safe environment. Up to the staff to sell a great school.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re:

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 27th, 2016, 9:06 am

AggieDude wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Maybe since losing our bruising running back this year seems to be Wells' scapegoat, why didn't it ever occur to the coaches to convert Hobbs or an LB to that position? Wells clearly doesn't see Hobbs as an option at QB, so at least try using his talents at RB. Coaches have to find ways to get talent on the field and Hobbs is one of our best athletes.
Don't know that it is wise to use your #2 QB at RB.

They only use him as a RB when he comes in anyways.

If Myers is the starter next year I won't be coming down to any games. Wells is bad enough, but I can hardly stomach watching a Myers' led offense anymore. At least from home I can turn the channel.
Last edited by hipsterdoofus21 on November 27th, 2016, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » November 27th, 2016, 9:07 am

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
I hope he does but I doubt it. He had offers from Iowa state and Arkansas among others. When we were good it was tough to compete against schools lIke those but now that we suck it is nearly impossible.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 27th, 2016, 9:33 am

AggieDude wrote:Hobbs isn't the answer. He's a good running QB, but that's all we've seen. What makes people think he would be better than Myers?

If anything, I would expect Love to challenge for the starting spot but Hobbs has been competing with Myers for multiple years now and has ended up the backup. I don't see anything changing there.

Here's the deal. We know what Myers is. We don't know what Hobbs is. Give him a shot and see what happens.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 27th, 2016, 10:03 am

USU is a great school. We shouldn't sell it short. Some kids really crave that experience.

GeorgiaAggie

Re:

Post by GeorgiaAggie » November 27th, 2016, 10:07 am

NVAggie wrote:USU is a great school. We shouldn't sell it short. Some kids really crave that experience.
Totally agree. However in today's recruiting world kids are looking for opportunity and the right "fit" more than they are for school environment and experience.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 27th, 2016, 11:14 am

I would like to see Nelson get a shot rather than endure another year like this. I think Hobbs needs to play, just not at QB, it won't happen but Love should start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » November 27th, 2016, 12:00 pm

2004AG wrote:
AggieDude wrote:Hobbs isn't the answer. He's a good running QB, but that's all we've seen. What makes people think he would be better than Myers?

Here's the deal. We know what Myers is. We don't know what Hobbs is. Give him a shot and see what happens.

If he hasn't been able to beat out Myers over the last couple of years what leafs you to believe he would be any better? Other than getting tough yards in a short yardage situation what has he shown to be better at? I just don't buy that there is some conspiracy to keep Hobbs down. My hope is that Love can beat out Myers going into next year.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 27th, 2016, 12:11 pm

AggieDude wrote:
2004AG wrote:

If he hasn't been able to beat out Myers over the last couple of years what leafs you to believe he would be any better? Other than getting tough yards in a short yardage situation what has he shown to be better at? I just don't buy that there is some conspiracy to keep Hobbs down. My hope is that Love can beat out Myers going into next year.

There are a million examples of coaches playing the wrong player. Him not beating out Myers in practice means squat (I can't express myself without swearing).

Tom Brady couldn't beat out Drew Bledsoe......Dark Prescott was drafted in like the 4th round.....Jose Fuentes couldn't beat out Crosbie in practice.....Sam Darnold couldn't beat out Max Browne.....,there are a lot of other examples but you get the point.

As I've said many times and will continue to say, Hobbs might suck. Hobbs might be worse than Myers. Nobody really knows, including Matt Wells. Until Hobbs gets a much larger sample size in real game situations, we just don't know.

I will also continue saying that we were 3-9 this year, what's the harm in trying someone else? We know Myers can't hit broadside of barn. Maybe Hobbs will be better.

GameFAQSAggie

Re:

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 27th, 2016, 12:40 pm

2004AG wrote:
Tom Brady couldn't beat out Drew Bledsoe......Dark Prescott was drafted in like the 4th round.....Jose Fuentes couldn't beat out Crosbie in practice.....Sam Darnold couldn't beat out Max Browne.....,there are a lot of other examples but you get the point.

Colin Kaepernick couldn't beat out Nick Graziano. Alex Smith couldn't beat out Brett Elliott.

FloridaAggie13

Re: Re:

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 27th, 2016, 1:18 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Colin Kaepernick couldn't beat out Nick Graziano. Alex Smith couldn't beat out Brett Elliott.
Anthony Calvillo couldn't beat out Greg Angelovic.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 27th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Columbi will have a legitimate chance to start next year. I know when he committed that is one thing he mentioned.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 27th, 2016, 1:35 pm

slcagg wrote:Columbi will have a legitimate chance to start next year. I know when he committed that is one thing he mentioned.
He'll have to find a way to get between the Wells and Myers romance. Wells seems reluctant to let go.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 27th, 2016, 7:19 pm

I'm hoping Canales can beat out Wells for HC. Or is "every job open (but mine)"?

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 27th, 2016, 7:25 pm

slcagg wrote:Columbi will have a legitimate chance to start next year. I know when he committed that is one thing he mentioned.
I'm quite sure Hobbs and Garretson were told the same thing.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 27th, 2016, 9:06 pm

Because Garretson is so much better than Myers - and he even got plenty of playing time.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re:

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 27th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Chupamedia wrote:I'm hoping Canales can beat out Wells for HC. Or is "every job open (but mine)"?
:lol: if only that were true

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » November 27th, 2016, 9:42 pm

If you want a better product on the field, you show up at games an donate what you can afford to the athletic programs.

The notion that drying up the spigot as protest, is going to make anything better is asinine.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 27th, 2016, 9:53 pm

jackmormon wrote:If you want a better product on the field, you show up at games an donate what you can afford to the athletic programs.

The notion that drying up the spigot as protest, is going to make anything better is asinine.
There is truth to that. Anyone who thinks Hartwell is not concerned with a 3-9 record regardless of how many people donate is not very logical. There is more pressure for sucess on a HC and the AD when there are many donors IMO. I know that most people don't want watch the team lose a late night game and that is understandable. It's been a double whammy this year with the crappy team and late starts. I speculate that attendence might have been better if the games was in the afternoon even with this team.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic