Fair Settlement

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Brushowl

Fair Settlement

Post by Brushowl » October 29th, 2016, 11:17 am

Does Matt Wells have enough personal integrity and loyalty to Aggie football, whereby we would accept a negotiated settlement of around $1 mil? In exchange we would resign and an interim coach would finish out the season. Seems like this approach should at least be considered by the AD.

I support our troops, especially the snipers.

JonnyCienPesos

Re: Fair Settlement

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 29th, 2016, 11:30 am

That's dumb. It's a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » October 29th, 2016, 11:35 am

Abandon thread.

mchild82
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mchild82 » October 29th, 2016, 11:36 am

Not dumb at all. A contract works both ways. If he got a better offer he'd be gone in a second.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » October 29th, 2016, 11:43 am

Dumb? You must work for the government. Parties can agree to alter the terms of a contract at any time. It is a question of whether Well has any loyalty to a program he inherited and is slowly disappearing before our eyes.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 29th, 2016, 11:44 am

If I had a contract, which I don't, and was terrible at my job, which I am, I would definitely rake in every dollar owed to me.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » October 29th, 2016, 11:47 am

Matt Wells is all about getting paid. The above poster is correct, he would already be gone if offered another job.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 29th, 2016, 11:50 am

Brushowl wrote:Dumb? You must work for the government. Parties can agree to alter the terms of a contract at any time. It is a question of whether Well has any loyalty to a program he inherited and is slowly disappearing before our eyes.
What would Wells be getting as an incentive to take less money???

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » October 29th, 2016, 11:56 am

Perhaps the opportunity to be a head coach somewhere in the future by resigning rather than being fired in a year or two. I have always thought Wells was a stand up guy with pride in the Aggies, rather than hang on just for the money in the contract.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 29th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Brushowl wrote:Perhaps the opportunity to be a head coach somewhere in the future by resigning rather than being fired in a year or two. I have always thought Wells was a stand up guy with pride in the Aggies, rather than hang on just for the money in the contract.
Oh boy....

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 29th, 2016, 12:00 pm

Sucks contracts only work one way. He can leave anytime he wants, but if we fire him, he gets 2 million.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 29th, 2016, 12:03 pm

2004AG wrote:Sucks contracts only work one way. He can leave anytime he wants, but if we fire him, he gets 2 million.
Well...the way things turned out it's now one sided. However, at the time it was made it wasn't. Had Wells ever gotten a P5 job it would've been pretty one-sided the other way.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 29th, 2016, 12:06 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
2004AG wrote:Sucks contracts only work one way. He can leave anytime he wants, but if we fire him, he gets 2 million.
Well...the way things turned out it's now one sided. However, at the time it was made it wasn't. Had Wells ever gotten a P5 job it would've been pretty one-sided the other way.

Do you think Matt Wells would have forked out 2 million to get out of his contract? I don't.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 29th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Wells is in a tough position for himself IMO. He brought it upon himself. There may be a few G5 teams he would like to be at, but I think USU is at the top (or near the top) of the list out of G5 teams. (He played here, went to school here) If he won't turn this ship around he'll go down like 2 spots and be a position coach.... he is screwed basically. Nobody is going to want him as a HC...?

Oh, but besides the 2 million... that's a lot of freaking coin.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 29th, 2016, 12:07 pm

2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Do you think Matt Wells would have forked out 2 million to get out of his contract? I don't.
No. but whoever was going to hire him would have.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 29th, 2016, 12:24 pm

In some sports if a player is released, he gets the money guaranteed- but it is netted against what other teams pay him (Or so I believe) For example, If the salary for the player is 2 million- the new team pays 400,000- then the original team would pay the remaining 1.6 M.... I wonder if anything like that exists in college football. I think Wells would be able to make a few hundred thousand going somewhere. So if it does net, then the payment may not be that bad.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » October 29th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:In some sports if a player is released, he gets the money guaranteed- but it is netted against what other teams pay him (Or so I believe) For example, If the salary for the player is 2 million- the new team pays 400,000- then the original team would pay the remaining 1.6 M.... I wonder if anything like that exists in college football. I think Wells would be able to make a few hundred thousand going somewhere. So if it does net, then the payment may not be that bad.
IIRC that's precisely how we got Josh Heupel for a year

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 29th, 2016, 12:31 pm

Matt Well buyout right now is just short of 2.5 million. We can't afford that. He isn't going anywhere.

N8boz

Post by N8boz » October 29th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Matt Wells isn't getting another head coaching offer for several years. He's also not going to take a discount.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 29th, 2016, 1:44 pm

N8boz wrote:Matt Wells isn't getting another head coaching offer for several years. He's also not going to take a discount.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You mean he isn't going to say to USU; "oh, hey you want to fire me? That's cool, let me help you out by giving you a discount on my buyout"?

Brushowl

Post by Brushowl » October 29th, 2016, 2:28 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
Brushowl wrote:Perhaps the opportunity to be a head coach somewhere in the future by resigning rather than being fired in a year or two. I have always thought Wells was a stand up guy with pride in the Aggies, rather than hang on just for the money in the contract.
Oh boy....

Oh, I get it. You have to have over 1700 posts to have any credibility on this forum. Thanks for straightening me out. I will ask your permission to post next time.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » October 29th, 2016, 2:51 pm

Wow, just wow. Are these comments serious, or just a poor attempt at humor?

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 29th, 2016, 3:24 pm

I wonder if the Utah fans wish they would have bought out Wittinghams contract when he was under fire? Wells just needs to hire an offensive coordinator. I really don't want to start all over with a whole new staff. :utah: :state:

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 29th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Honestly, this is the dumbest thread I've seen on here in awhile and that is really saying something...

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 29th, 2016, 4:19 pm

2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

No, but he could get his new school to pay $100k buyout and "donate" it back to the BBSF and he would be treated like a god around here for years to come.

Well's should not be fired, but he does need to make some serious changes starting with the friggin offense.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 29th, 2016, 5:24 pm

blueaggie wrote:I wonder if the Utah fans wish they would have bought out Wittinghams contract when he was under fire? Wells just needs to hire an offensive coordinator. I really don't want to start all over with a whole new staff. :utah: :state:
From what I remember, that had more to do with the dumpster fire that the AD at Utah was- not Whittingham himself. They chased out several coaches under Whittingham. But the major difference is that we are terrible and Utah wasn't.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 29th, 2016, 5:40 pm

dyedblue wrote:
2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

No, but he could get his new school to pay $100k buyout and "donate" it back to the BBSF and he would be treated like a god around here for years to come.

Well's should not be fired, but he does need to make some serious changes starting with the friggin offense.
100k vs 2 million. That just proves my point.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 29th, 2016, 5:54 pm

dyedblue wrote:
2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

If only pigs could fly... If you paid me $2 mil. to be the USU football pariah for 3+ years, I'd take it, and so would virtually everyone. Wells will act accordingly.

Unfortunately, Wells' poor offensive play calling isn't the only issue. We are going to be crappy for awhile.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » October 29th, 2016, 7:06 pm

What I don't get about this thread is why some people think it is somehow unethical, unfair or shady to accept the terms of an employment contract??? A "fair settlement" would be for Utah State to honor the terms of their agreement with Wells if it comes to that. Why do you think that there are buyout clauses to begin with? For precisely these types of situations. Utah State determined that Wells was worth that investment and its essentially a part of the compensation agreement we made with him. You may not like it. You may think Utah State was wrong to offer it. You may wish we hadn't. But we did and so does any other program that is hiring a coach of any caliber. It wasn't contingent upon wins and losses, etc. It was a mutually agreed upon agreement. Those were the terms. It is in no way a lack of character or unethical for Wells or anyone else to receive the money from an agreed-upon contract. You may not like him as a coach but to also try impugn his character is really pretty pathetic. What would be shady, unfair or unseemly would be to try to renegotiate the terms of a contract after the fact.

And before any accuses me of being his brother, father or nephew, I have no relationship of any kind with Matt Wells nor any other staff member in the athletic department. And whether I think Wells should be fired, on the hot seat, or not is irrelevant to the point. I would have said the same thing about Brent Guy's contract.

Locked Previous topicNext topic