Lighting up the A

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
toroazzurro

Lighting up the A

Post by toroazzurro » October 2nd, 2015, 10:09 am

Suppose I'd like to help build up the tradition beyond the Cache Valley. Maybe I could have some kind of replica block A in my front yard that could be lit up somehow (blue LEDs?). Nothing big enough to be seen across the Salt Lake valley or shine into my neighbors' houses, but big enough to be noticed amongst the U and Y flags in the neighborhood, especially after a win. Or something similar for the office... perhaps one of those etched crystals that rotates on a blue-lit base.

As far as I know, no one has produced any knickknacks like these to propagate the #LightTheABlue. I don't know what kind of trademarks are involved or what obstacles there might be. Any other ideas or thoughts on how to make something like this happen?
Last edited by toroazzurro on October 2nd, 2015, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneed

Re: Lighting up the A

Post by sneed » October 2nd, 2015, 10:19 am

I want to do a replica when I build a house. Leds are cheap (I did a blue pole for my aggie flag on my truck)

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » October 2nd, 2015, 1:39 pm

Oh I so want one for my house now

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 2nd, 2015, 7:47 pm

the all seeing A

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 3rd, 2015, 11:17 am

It would make a pretty sweet mailbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Away
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Blue Away » October 4th, 2015, 6:49 pm

A Christmas village Old Main would be cool, and I bet they could sell a hundred or more a year forever.

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » October 4th, 2015, 10:45 pm

I have a really tall chimney I want to put one on now. Lit up white that switches to blue after a win. Now I have to have it

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 5th, 2015, 8:49 am

I've been wanting to do it for years. Time to create it has been limited.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 6th, 2015, 8:32 pm

ProvoAggie has already done this. Amateurs... ;)

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » October 6th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Mine was technically a U State logo and it was only white because the blue wasn't visible from very far and also it was destroyed in a wind storm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » October 6th, 2015, 10:11 pm

I had a 4 foot ustate light up logo complete with Santa hat that we used to put up. I'm looking for something more permanently affixed and directly wired to a switch in the house.

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » October 6th, 2015, 11:28 pm

If/when I have the means, I would build a replica of the "True Aggie" block A as a bench in my front yard with Blue LEDs to light it up. It would be a fairly easy project and would look awesome.

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

toroazzurro

Post by toroazzurro » October 7th, 2015, 10:48 am

Dwigt wrote:If/when I have the means, I would build a replica of the "True Aggie" block A as a bench in my front yard with Blue LEDs to light it up. It would be a fairly easy project and would look awesome.
This is pretty much what I was proposing, but I'm struggling with the fairly easy project part. I don't really know where to start. How would you do it?

toroazzurro

Post by toroazzurro » October 12th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Does anyone know, or know someone who might know, how the lighting of the A is controlled? Didn't they start letting the teams switch it remotely somehow? Or is that just for show? I had this crazy idea that would be seriously awesome, but I don't know how to do it. I know that there are Aggies out there who would.

Everyone has their own A. Self-built, mass-produced, whatever. It lights up using those LED strips. The LED strips are connected to a wi-fi controller. These exist, and some aren't terribly expensive. Now, rather than having to use an app or whatever to manually turn on/off/change colors of your LEDs, the controller uses a web service of some kind to know which status is appropriate at the time. Somehow this web service is linked to whatever is controlling Old Main. Or, the athletics department creates something else to the side to make this possible. I'm not sure if there are controllers out there that can be programmed to query the web every X minutes, or what. I realize I'm in over my head here. Need expert guidance.

Long story short, we all have our own As all over the place, and they are all synchronized with Old Main via the interweb. Whenever the Aggies win, everyone's lights turn blue even if you were clueless about the big tennis win over Air Force. Utah State becomes famous for being the first/only school to do this. The world is more awesome.

Who out there has the technical knowledge to be able to weigh in on this idea?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 12th, 2015, 2:52 pm

toroazzurro wrote:
Dwigt wrote:If/when I have the means, I would build a replica of the "True Aggie" block A as a bench in my front yard with Blue LEDs to light it up. It would be a fairly easy project and would look awesome.
This is pretty much what I was proposing, but I'm struggling with the fairly easy project part. I don't really know where to start. How would you do it?
If I were going to do it, I would make a mold so that I could use the same mold to cast all of them and for friends (or fellow USUFans) to borrow and make their own. This involves either making one of them from wood or otherwise to begin with, however.

See http://www.smooth-on.com/Concrete-Casti ... index.html for lots of How To videos, which includes the following.
[youtube][/youtube]

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 12th, 2015, 9:27 pm

toroazzurro wrote:Does anyone know, or know someone who might know, how the lighting of the A is controlled? Didn't they start letting the teams switch it remotely somehow? Or is that just for show? I had this crazy idea that would be seriously awesome, but I don't know how to do it. I know that there are Aggies out there who would.

Everyone has their own A. Self-built, mass-produced, whatever. It lights up using those LED strips. The LED strips are connected to a wi-fi controller. These exist, and some aren't terribly expensive. Now, rather than having to use an app or whatever to manually turn on/off/change colors of your LEDs, the controller uses a web service of some kind to know which status is appropriate at the time. Somehow this web service is linked to whatever is controlling Old Main. Or, the athletics department creates something else to the side to make this possible. I'm not sure if there are controllers out there that can be programmed to query the web every X minutes, or what. I realize I'm in over my head here. Need expert guidance.

Long story short, we all have our own As all over the place, and they are all synchronized with Old Main via the interweb. Whenever the Aggies win, everyone's lights turn blue even if you were clueless about the big tennis win over Air Force. Utah State becomes famous for being the first/only school to do this. The world is more awesome.

People in the Athletics department turn the A blue with a laptop. I'm not sure if the old main tower is connected or just show.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 12th, 2015, 9:36 pm

toroazzurro wrote:Does anyone know, or know someone who might know, how the lighting of the A is controlled? Didn't they start letting the teams switch it remotely somehow? Or is that just for show? I had this crazy idea that would be seriously awesome, but I don't know how to do it. I know that there are Aggies out there who would.

That would be a very cool thing. Is there an Aggie shark tank?

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 12th, 2015, 11:45 pm

Great idea! I feel like there should at least be a simple app that was a picture of old main and the A turned blue whenever a team won. That way even the people who aren't hard core enough to build a concrete A in their yard could be included.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 13th, 2015, 12:29 pm

I wonder if there would be a market (both for Aggies and for other schools) to make a simple little desktop version of their logo or letters with a 3D printer and then connecting an LED or 4 up to it to light it and have it connected over WIFI (see This $8 board (down to $2.50 if you are willing to wait for it to be shipped from China) can run a simple webserver and other networking code, so it could easily poll some server to determine when the lights should be on/off (https://github.com/iot-playground/Ardui ... Server.ino). You could get a 10 pack of multicolor LEDs with the driver chip included (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1655?g ... fgodb6UGiw) for $4.50. The 3D printed materials would be less than $5 (excluding printer costs).

So, for somewhere around $15 materials plus whatever markup would be, I could make a small 3 inch x 3 inch x 3 inch model of the cement A platform. Not as cool as a huge one in your yard, but definitely pretty cool to put on your desk at work.

My side projects:

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 13th, 2015, 12:58 pm

jpswensen wrote:I wonder if there would be a market (both for Aggies and for other schools) to make a simple little desktop version of their logo or letters with a 3D printer and then connecting an LED or 4 up to it to light it and have it connected over WIFI (see This $8 board (down to $2.50 if you are willing to wait for it to be shipped from China) can run a simple webserver and other networking code, so it could easily poll some server to determine when the lights should be on/off (https://github.com/iot-playground/Ardui ... Server.ino). You could get a 10 pack of multicolor LEDs with the driver chip included (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1655?g ... fgodb6UGiw) for $4.50. The 3D printed materials would be less than $5 (excluding printer costs).

So, for somewhere around $15 materials plus whatever markup would be, I could make a small 3 inch x 3 inch x 3 inch model of the cement A platform. Not as cool as a huge one in your yard, but definitely pretty cool to put on your desk at work.
Feel free to send me a couple of the betas to test for you. 1 for work office and 1 for home office. :-)

toroazzurro

Post by toroazzurro » October 13th, 2015, 1:47 pm

jpswensen wrote:I wonder if there would be a market (both for Aggies and for other schools) to make a simple little desktop version of their logo or letters with a 3D printer and then connecting an LED or 4 up to it to light it and have it connected over WIFI (see This $8 board (down to $2.50 if you are willing to wait for it to be shipped from China) can run a simple webserver and other networking code, so it could easily poll some server to determine when the lights should be on/off (https://github.com/iot-playground/Ardui ... Server.ino). You could get a 10 pack of multicolor LEDs with the driver chip included (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1655?g ... fgodb6UGiw) for $4.50. The 3D printed materials would be less than $5 (excluding printer costs).

Yeah!! I want it!! I think once a smooth technical setup was in place it could work for larger displays as well, if desired. :thumbsup:

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » October 13th, 2015, 2:38 pm

toroazzurro wrote:
The is a house in Southwest Logan that has a mailbox stand like this, except it looks like it is made of metal.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 13th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Sold. I will need at least 3 myself.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

aggietime

Post by aggietime » October 13th, 2015, 10:37 pm

This sounds sweet! I would be in for one if it happens.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 13th, 2015, 10:48 pm

aggietime wrote:

This sounds sweet! I would be in for one if it happens.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Crap. Now I have to build at least one to see how it turns out. Ordering parts from Adafruit now.

My side projects:

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 14th, 2015, 5:36 pm

15% of the way there. The basic 3D model is done and will kick off the 3D print tomorrow.
Attachments
preview.JPG

My side projects:

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 14th, 2015, 9:50 pm

I still need some. Just to clarify.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 15th, 2015, 8:56 am

jpswensen wrote:15% of the way there. The basic 3D model is done and will kick off the 3D print tomorrow.
Can you share the 3D model file? I've got a friend with a 3D printer...

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 15th, 2015, 10:07 am

treesap32 wrote:
jpswensen wrote:15% of the way there. The basic 3D model is done and will kick off the 3D print tomorrow.
I will definitely share both the Solidworks (modeling software) and STL files (the file format most 3D printers expect). I have attached the initial version, but I am sure I am going to have to iterate a couple of times on the base plate to mount the LEDs and wireless board. I will upload an updated file with a complete bill of materials once I have finished. This version is about 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm (or 3" x 3" x 3" for the crazies).

Also, the 3D printer I can buy time on here at school only ever has the "ivory" colored ABS plastic. If your friend has their own machine, they can probably buy ABS or PLA in a color close to Aggie Blue. I am just going to paint mine for testing. If I ended up getting a good setup and was able to start selling these for USU and other schools I would probably get and Ultimaker 2 printer (about $2500). Although I'm not sure that going through all the licensing hassles would be worth it.
Attachments
AggieA_V1.zip
(337.91 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

My side projects:

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 15th, 2015, 10:34 am

jpswensen wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
I will definitely share both the Solidworks (modeling software) and STL files (the file format most 3D printers expect). I have attached the initial version, but I am sure I am going to have to iterate a couple of times on the base plate to mount the LEDs and wireless board. I will upload an updated file with a complete bill of materials once I have finished. This version is about 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm x 7.5 cm (or 3" x 3" x 3" for the crazies).

Also, the 3D printer I can buy time on here at school only ever has the "ivory" colored ABS plastic. If your friend has their own machine, they can probably buy ABS or PLA in a color close to Aggie Blue. I am just going to paint mine for testing. If I ended up getting a good setup and was able to start selling these for USU and other schools I would probably get and Ultimaker 2 printer (about $2500). Although I'm not sure that going through all the licensing hassles would be worth it.
Awesome. He was saying he may try transparent plastic for the A's and we could see how that looks. We could always paint it after the fact as well.

Would you need licensing permission to build the True Aggie A?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 15th, 2015, 10:49 am

treesap32 wrote: Would you need licensing permission to build the True Aggie A?
I figured you would because the A is loosely based off of Aggie A, which most pictures like the one found on http://www.warblogle.com/2011/08/30/mis ... te-aggies/
have the little TM symbol next to it. I free-handed mine in Solidworks, but assume they could still come after you if it holds a close enough likeness.

My side projects:

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » October 15th, 2015, 11:16 am

WOW. This is awesome. I am too backwards to even "paint" my old main A picture blue with a computer program for a screen saver or an iphone wallpaper. Lots of schools light up something after a win. You may have a future side job.

toroazzurro

Post by toroazzurro » October 15th, 2015, 11:35 am

It looks awesome! If this ends up going big, I'll point back to this thread when I ask you for a small cut for lighting the spark :)

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 17th, 2015, 4:20 pm

The specific "True Aggie" would have to be copyrighted, it might be if it's considered art. A $150 with an intellectual property attorney may be necessary. The CLC (athletics) licensing seems pretty simple for the local license, but this would probably be through the University (=slow moving bureaucracy).

Hail Aggies!

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » October 17th, 2015, 11:15 pm

Very rough prototype done. I can't quite space the LEDs right on my protoboard and I think I may need to tone down the brightness. I also think it looks better live than in the picture. For some reason the picture from my iPhone is too saturated and it messes with the other colors.
Attachments
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

My side projects:

Locked Previous topicNext topic