John Hartwell new AD

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Roy McAvoy

John Hartwell new AD

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 1st, 2015, 11:50 am

Just stepped down as the AD at Troy. I've heard this is our guy.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on June 1st, 2015, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BLUERUFiO

Re: John Hartwell new AD?

Post by BLUERUFiO » June 1st, 2015, 11:51 am

Beat me to the punch. Here are a few Twitter sources:

(Reporter from AL)
(Graphic designer from AL - must be legit)

Now, I need to go research how Troy has done recently.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » June 1st, 2015, 11:54 am

Here's a link to his bio on Troy's website. Just based on this, I like the hire if this is indeed our guy. He did quite a bit of fundraising and facilities upgrades while he was there, and has P5 experience as Ole Miss's senior executive associate athletics director before leaving for the Troy AD job.

http://www.troytrojans.com/staff.aspx?staff=205

dogie

Post by dogie » June 1st, 2015, 12:07 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:Here's a link to his bio on Troy's website. Just based on this, I like the hire if this is indeed our guy. He did quite a bit of fundraising and facilities upgrades while he was there, and has P5 experience as Ole Miss's senior executive associate athletics director before leaving for the Troy AD job.

http://www.troytrojans.com/staff.aspx?staff=205
I like the fact that his first recorded words at Troy were, “At the end of the day ..." He'll fit in fine at USU. I also like hearing that he was able to bring Boise State and two ACC teams to Troy on a home-and-home basis.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » June 1st, 2015, 12:09 pm

I really like what I'm reading about him. Check out this article: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012 ... cited.html

"Q: What is your first priority as you start your new job?

A: What I'm going to do in the first couple of weeks is assess the needs. I'm going to spend some time with each head coach individually and with staff members. I've got a questionaire if you will to provide each of them to do a little homework and when they meet with me to bring me up to speed I have a general knowledge, but I want to meet with each individual coach. Really the priorities of that process is going to be 'What are the strengths? What are the weaknesses? What are the things we need to work on?' At the end, at least as far as the head coaches go, I'm going to say, 'List for me three to five things that your program needs to consistently compete for championships."

"But as far as taking care of our own business, all of our programs competing at that upper echelon of the league, with at the end of the day knowing football is the bell cow. We've got to have football successful because it helps drive everything else. The vast majority of the revenues are generating from football, whether it's ticket sales or television appearances or anything else. So football and men's and women's basketball and baseball obviously have to be excelling at a high level, as well as our Olympic sports."

tkmad
Has thanked: 0

Post by tkmad » June 1st, 2015, 12:16 pm

To me, this was the most impressive part of his bio:

"Marquee games are littered across Troy’s football schedule for the near future as Hartwell has secured home-and-home contracts with Duke, North Carolina State and Boise State."

If those are true "home-and-home" deals, pretty impressive to get two P5 teams and the top dog in the G5 to play home and home.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 1st, 2015, 12:22 pm

I'm also glad to see that Troy fans are bummed about him leaving. Makes me feel better than if they were excited for a change.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » June 1st, 2015, 12:36 pm

Happy about this hire. It demonstrates a few things: we are a decently desirable program. I know Troy is no power house, but they are G5, just like us. We have a better than average AD job I think. I'm also quite happy Troy fans are sad to see him go. Looking forward to the changes Hartwell brings.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » June 1st, 2015, 12:40 pm

seems like curious timing, with the "Interim AD" announcement we just had a couple days ago. Why name an interim, if the new guy is to be announced a few days later?

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » June 1st, 2015, 12:42 pm

Maybe they had no idea if Hartwell would say yes.

Trojan1
Been thanked: 0

Post by Trojan1 » June 1st, 2015, 12:45 pm

You guys got a good one. Very sad to see him go... Increased our Athletic budget from around 18million to around 24.6 million. Among many other things.

Good luck to him and your program!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 1st, 2015, 12:49 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:seems like curious timing, with the "Interim AD" announcement we just had a couple days ago. Why name an interim, if the new guy is to be announced a few days later?
Because even after we "hire" him, he still isn't ready to start and likely has duties at Troy to finish before he can start here. Like even after Barnes was introduced, he still had some things he had to finish at Washington before he can start.

TheOpportunity

Post by TheOpportunity » June 1st, 2015, 12:52 pm

Trojan1 wrote:You guys got a good one. Very sad to see him go... Increased our Athletic budget from around 18million to around 24.6 million. Among many other things.

Good luck to him and your program!
Good to hear. What else can you tell us about him? From what I've seen thus far he seems like a great hire.

Appreciate you stopping by and best of luck to you guys in your hire as well!

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » June 1st, 2015, 12:52 pm

Thanks! Hope he can continue his success here and that Troy is able to replace him and continue their success.

Trojan1

Post by Trojan1 » June 1st, 2015, 1:02 pm

He was only at Troy 3 years. But with all his success and things he has done one would think he's been at Troy 10 years...

Build a brand new 5million dollar softball facility upgrade, spent 3million on a new video board and ribbons in our football stadium... He raised most the money needed for our 30million dollar football stadium expansion set to break ground this year. Build a brand new golf facility and our golf team made the NCAA for the first time this year. Hired countless new successful coaches such as our softball coach Beth Mullins who beat 2 top 10 programs and nearly made a NCAA regional in her first year after the program was in the gutter the year before.

We have all new football coaches this year and are paid top dollar. We have some of the highest paid assistant salaries in all of the G5 conferences.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » June 1st, 2015, 1:03 pm

Very reassuring info. Thanks for taking the time to share, Trojan1.

ustate98
Pick'em Champ - '13 WTHCG

Post by ustate98 » June 1st, 2015, 1:17 pm

I'm very relieved with this hire. I was worried but not anymore.

Trojan1

Post by Trojan1 » June 1st, 2015, 1:17 pm

We were impressed with the P5 schools he got to come to Troy....NCSU and Duke were Home and Home deals. Boise state while not a P5 school still a great home series. Southern Miss is the most recent home and home he worked up, I know Southern miss isnt a big deal to you guys. but That program has been avoiding Troy for years ever since our Bowl game with them.

In basketball he worked a deal to have Ole Miss come to us last year.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » June 1st, 2015, 1:20 pm

ustate98 wrote:I'm very relieved with this hire. I was worried but not anymore.
Exactly how I feel. I'm excited about this hire. Man, seems like hiring has gone really well lately for us.

tbadge

Post by tbadge » June 1st, 2015, 1:20 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
AGinNEIowa wrote:seems like curious timing, with the "Interim AD" announcement we just had a couple days ago. Why name an interim, if the new guy is to be announced a few days later?
Because even after we "hire" him, he still isn't ready to start and likely has duties at Troy to finish before he can start here. Like even after Barnes was introduced, he still had some things he had to finish at Washington before he can start.
You also perhaps need someone with signature authority for the day to day mundane tasks that need to be signed off on.

tbadge

Post by tbadge » June 1st, 2015, 1:29 pm

He looks like someone who understands what it's like to try and compete both financially and athletically with a couple of the bigger kids in the state and even college athletics (Auburn and Alabama). This situation is very similar to what USU has trying to compete with Utah and BYU (sure, Auburn and Alabama have a lot more $$$ at their disposal than Utah and BYU probably do).

Now, if he can figure out how to do a H & H with NCSU, Duke, and even Southern Miss with USU than I'm a huge fan.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 1st, 2015, 2:00 pm

Trojan1, appreciate the feedback. Just curious if he ever did any shaking up of the staff in the AD while at Troy? That's a topic some on here might be interested to know more about.

Trojan1

Post by Trojan1 » June 1st, 2015, 2:41 pm

Yup, He was there when Coach Ron Maestri (Troy basketball coach from 1982-2013) was retired. Was very needed, still a rebuilding process. He Retired head Football Coach Larry Blakeney this past year ( HC at Troy from 1991-2014) who was the 2nd longest tinured FBS coach behind Frank Beamer at VT. He also forced the resignation of long time Softball coach Melanie Davis (1993-2013)

So those three where HUGE troy coaching figures let go under his tenure. and they were greatly needed as they have caught the Bobby Bowden syndrome so to speak if you catch what im saying

pharquar

Post by pharquar » June 1st, 2015, 3:18 pm

Trojan1 wrote:Yup, He was there when Coach Ron Maestri (Troy basketball coach from 1982-2013) was retired. Was very needed, still a rebuilding process. He Retired head Football Coach Larry Blakeney this past year ( HC at Troy from 1991-2014) who was the 2nd longest tinured FBS coach behind Frank Beamer at VT. He also forced the resignation of long time Softball coach Melanie Davis (1993-2013)

So those three where HUGE troy coaching figures let go under his tenure. and they were greatly needed as they have caught the Bobby Bowden syndrome so to speak if you catch what im saying
I think the question was more geared to Athletics Department Support Staff. Assistant athletics directors, ticket office personnel, etc. Most feel there is a lot of dead wood that should be cleared out in that area. Coaching, I don't know of many major concerns at this point...

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 1st, 2015, 3:37 pm

What's this? Lya actually breaking news? :headscratch: Well, breaking it among the mainstream media at least....

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2575824-15 ... n-hartwell

EDIT: Wait, the very end says "Reporter Kyle Goon contributed to this story" I read this to mean that Goon wrote the entire thing under Lya's login.

Trojan1

Post by Trojan1 » June 1st, 2015, 3:39 pm

I dont think much changed in that departement. But Im also not THAT close to the people in that area either....We did however bring in a new Event Staff for the games, for tickets and secrutity etc.

Also of note....John Hartwell implimented Beer sales inside athletic events. It was estimated we generated an extra 200,000 dollars a season on football beer sales. Not even Alabama and Auburn do this.

parkrob78

Post by parkrob78 » June 1st, 2015, 3:47 pm

Aglicious wrote:What's this? Lya actually breaking news? :headscratch: Well, breaking it among the mainstream media at least....

EDIT: Wait, the very end says "Reporter Kyle Goon contributed to this story" I read this to mean that Goon wrote the entire thing under Lya's login.
A small paper in Alabama had it first (in terms of news outlets) followed by MWCconnection.com, THEN Kyle posing as Lya.
MWCconnection Link:
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015/6/1/8 ... c-director

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 1st, 2015, 3:55 pm

parkrob78 wrote:
Aglicious wrote:What's this? Lya actually breaking news? :headscratch: Well, breaking it among the mainstream media at least....

A small paper in Alabama had it first (in terms of news outlets) followed by MWCconnection.com, THEN Kyle posing as Lya.
MWCconnection Link:

ahhh....it all makes sense now. Way to scoop Goon BTW! well done Parker.

parkrob78

Post by parkrob78 » June 1st, 2015, 3:58 pm

Aglicious wrote:
parkrob78 wrote:

MWCconnection Link:

ahhh....it all makes sense now. Way to scoop Goon BTW! well done Parker.
Thanks! Things just fell into place very fast this morning on the AD hire and I was able to push the site manager to get my article through quickly.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 1st, 2015, 4:01 pm

I no longer believe that John Hartwell is going to be our new AD. There have been no private jets fly between Troy, AB and Logan, UT. Isn't that how most of this news gets broken? :pirate:

http://flightaware.com/live/findflight? ... ation=KLGU

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » June 1st, 2015, 4:06 pm

Trojan1 wrote:I dont think much changed in that departement. But Im also not THAT close to the people in that area either....We did however bring in a new Event Staff for the games, for tickets and secrutity etc.

Also of note....John Hartwell implimented Beer sales inside athletic events. It was estimated we generated an extra 200,000 dollars a season on football beer sales. Not even Alabama and Auburn do this.
Beer? Woot, woot!!

That sure would make the decision to stay at home on your (I can't express myself without swearing) drinking beer watching on TV vs sitting in the stadium on your (I can't express myself without swearing) drinking beer a little easier.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » June 1st, 2015, 5:02 pm

jackmormon wrote:
Trojan1 wrote:I dont think much changed in that departement. But Im also not THAT close to the people in that area either....We did however bring in a new Event Staff for the games, for tickets and secrutity etc.

Beer? Woot, woot!!

That sure would make the decision to stay at home on your a** drinking beer watching on TV vs sitting in the stadium on your a** drinking beer a little easier.
I would love it if Mr. Hartwell would make the beer sales a top priority in his introductory press conference just to see the Cache Valley reaction. On second thought that might result in an AD's setting a record for the shortest tenure at the University. Not sure we'd generate 200K in sales either. You know the old joke about taking two mormons fishing with you if you want to keep your beer. :cheers:

hickaggie

Re: John Hartwell new AD

Post by hickaggie » June 1st, 2015, 5:05 pm

Just for the record I remain a teetotaler Mormon but think Beer sales would be great. Not happening though unfortunately and I'm sure Mr. Hartwell will be so advised.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 1st, 2015, 6:17 pm

hickaggie wrote:Just for the record I remain a teetotaler Mormon but think Beer sales would be great. Not happening though unfortunately and I'm sure Mr. Hartwell will be so advised.
Most of you have heard my suggestion that we sell beer at and ONLY AT the game against Boise State, to make money off their fans.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » June 1st, 2015, 6:21 pm

I don't understand the opposition to beer sales by the legislature and local community. People are going to drink before the game and many of them are still going to sneak it in and drink during the game--why not make extra revenue off of it and also have a point of contact where you can cut people off during the game?

Locked Previous topicNext topic