An open letter to Duryea fans

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1

An open letter to Duryea fans

Post by mcaggie1 » March 30th, 2015, 4:13 pm

Dear Duryea fans,

I know that there are but a few of you compared to the masses. You think we made a great hire, and that Tim is the right guy to take over for Stew. Fine. I respect your feelings and opinion. I happen to feel we could have done much better. Got news for you. Most feel that way. You are in a small minority. The majority hopes that you are right, but is still not happy, and fears for the future of Aggie hoops. That doesn't mean we don't support our basketball program. That doesn't mean you are better fans than us. That doesn't mean that we, like you can't have a differing opinion. You are beating your chest, reveling in the fact that you are so supportive. I'm happy for you.

So, we, the majority, respectfully ask you to please stop telling us to get on board, and get over it. News to you. We never jumped off. We are just worried for the time being about the new driver. He has never soloed before. You give us the impression that we want him to fail. You have assumed very incorrectly. We hope he is the MWC coach of the year after winning the conference and going to the Sweet sixteen. We desperately hope that, but right now don't see it.

We will be at the games. We will yell as loud or louder than you. We will hurt when we lose and exult when we win. We hope there is more of the latter. Speaking only for myself, I get tired of being told to think a certain way. I have watched Aggie sports since Cornell Green and Merlin Olsen. I have spent thousands and thousands for tickets and Big Blue donations. I have seen a lot worse than this many times. But I am here. I am an Aggie. I will never be anything else. I just happen to not be happy with the choice we made. Let it be.

JonnyCienPesos

Re: An open letter to Duryea fans

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 30th, 2015, 4:15 pm

How did you come to the conclusion that the "masses" or the "majority" are not fans of the hire? I'm curious. Was there a straw poll taken?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 30th, 2015, 4:17 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:Dear Duryea fans,

I know that there are but a few of you compared to the masses. You think we made a great hire, and that Tim is the right guy to take over for Stew. Fine. I respect your feelings and opinion. I happen to feel we could have done much better. Got news for you. Most feel that way. You are in a small minority. The majority hopes that you are right, but is still not happy, and fears for the future of Aggie hoops. That doesn't mean we don't support our basketball program. That doesn't mean you are better fans than us. That doesn't mean that we, like you can't have a differing opinion. You are beating your chest, reveling in the fact that you are so supportive. I'm happy for you.

So, we, the majority, respectfully ask you to please stop telling us to get on board, and get over it. News to you. We never jumped off. We are just worried for the time being about the new driver. He has never soloed before. You give us the impression that we want him to fail. You have assumed very incorrectly. We hope he is the MWC coach of the year after winning the conference and going to the Sweet sixteen. We desperately hope that, but right now don't see it.

We will be at the games. We will yell as loud or louder than you. We will hurt when we lose and exult when we win. We hope there is more of the latter. Speaking only for myself, I get tired of being told to think a certain way. I have watched Aggie sports since Cornell Green and Merlin Olsen. I have spent thousands and thousands for tickets and Big Blue donations. I have seen a lot worse than this many times. But I am here. I am an Aggie. I will never be anything else. I just happen to not be happy with the choice we made. Let it be.
:golfclap:

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 30th, 2015, 4:20 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:How did you come to the conclusion that the "masses" or the "majority" are not fans of the hire? I'm curious. Was there a straw poll taken?
Seems the feelings of people who post. No straw poll. When the news hit there were very few who were wild and excited about the hire. More who are worried. Some mad. One or two who say they won't go to games.

G-Swenz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by G-Swenz » March 30th, 2015, 4:20 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:How did you come to the conclusion that the "masses" or the "majority" are not fans of the hire? I'm curious. Was there a straw poll taken?
I would read the rest of the board... There is definitely evidence to support it. Including a poll! Haha

There is no spoon

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 30th, 2015, 4:23 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
Seems the feelings of people who post. No straw poll. When the news hit there were very few who were wild and excited about the hire. More who are worried. Some mad. One or two who say they won't go to games.
So by the "masses," you are just referring to the majority of people who post on usufans.com?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 30th, 2015, 4:25 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:So, we, the majority, respectfully ask you to please stop telling us to get on board, and get over it. News to you. We never jumped off.
You need to read a bit more of what people are saying if you don't think that people are jumping off. There have already been a few posts from people that will no longer be donating to the BBSF or buying season tickets or watching basketball games...that is the definition of jumping off.
I'm wondering the same thing. There are a few outspoken people on this board that absolutely hate the hire, there are a few more that are confused by it but overall there seems to be decent support for Duryea. Reading Twitter there are a lot of former players, recruits and fans voicing their support for Duryea. He may not have the flashiest name out there but he is someone that knows and loves USU. With any coaching hire there is a risk that it won't work out. Lot's of home run hires end up being duds and a lot of the guys that people aren't initially excited about end up making great coaches. It will be a few years before we see how Tim works out but I can't say that I am disappointed with the hire...I'm disappointed that the hire took so long. I would have liked to see Duryea take this team to the CBI or CIT.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » March 30th, 2015, 4:27 pm

This thread is comical to me. I wasn't a fan before we hired him. Now after the presser and his interview on 1280, I'm happy with it. I'm excited for next season and look forward to see what Duyea will do/change.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » March 30th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Duryea, and any of the other coaches that have been mentioned, could be a complete bust or a home run. There is no way to know until we do.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 30th, 2015, 4:33 pm

jackmormon wrote:Duryea, and any of the other coaches that have been mentioned, could be a complete bust or a home run. There is no way to know until we do.
I love a good bust.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » March 30th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Great post. I hope those who have already said they are pulling their support will reconsider along these lines.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ToedrAg

Post by ToedrAg » March 30th, 2015, 4:37 pm

"We desperately hope that, but right now don't see it."

Is there someone that we could have hired that would have you seeing conference championships and sweet sixteen on Day 1?

IMHO, everyone is in a 'wait and see'-mode with this hire (as they would be with pretty much any hire). The difference is that some people choose to 'wait and see' with optimism and 100% support, while some people choose to be skeptical and withhold support until TD proves he is worthy of such support.

I can fully understand being skeptical and even disappointed with the hiring of TD, but shouldn't we rally as a fanbase ("get on board") until TD gives us plenty of reasons not to? I get that he doesn't have you (or me) fully convinced yet, but I'm willing to give him a few more weeks before (maybe even a full season) before I fear for the future of Aggie hoops.

TheOpportunity

Post by TheOpportunity » March 30th, 2015, 4:45 pm

And an open letter to the Duryea haters who are acting like this is the worst hire in the history of sports:

Stop being dramatic.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » March 30th, 2015, 4:51 pm

ToedrAg wrote: The difference is that some people choose to 'wait and see' with optimism and 100% support, while some people choose to be skeptical and withhold support until TD proves he is worthy of such support.

There's a third class of people who have already written TD off, proclaiming this as a monumental failure with no shred of thought that he could actually indeed find success in this position.

Donman

Post by Donman » March 30th, 2015, 4:53 pm

The funny thing, everything every complains about he has addressed.

I'm going over to CougarBoard for some rational conversation.

Tim is our coach. Maybe he wasn't your first choice, but he is our coach. You can hope he fails so you can be proven right. Then you aren't really an Aggie.

tinyelvis

Post by tinyelvis » March 30th, 2015, 5:01 pm

AN OPEN RESPONSE TO DUREYA HATERS.

Can you at least give him a chance?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 30th, 2015, 5:14 pm

tinyelvis wrote:

AN OPEN RESPONSE TO DUREYA HATERS.

Can you at least give him a chance?
I addressed that, and you are right.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 30th, 2015, 5:17 pm

I think there is room on this board for all opinions.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 30th, 2015, 5:21 pm

I thought we weren't allowed to comment on decisions made by the AD anymore unless or until we are millionaire donors like coolag.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » March 30th, 2015, 5:31 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
ToedrAg wrote: The difference is that some people choose to 'wait and see' with optimism and 100% support, while some people choose to be skeptical and withhold support until TD proves he is worthy of such support.

There's one or two people, proclaiming this as a monumental failure with no shred of thought that he could actually indeed find success in this position.
FIFY. Basely solely on the response from the board, I think the majority is a bit disappointed, but certainly not throwing in the towel on Aggie bb. And I certainly agree with message of the OP - just because someone is disappointed doesn't mean they are not a loyal Aggie fan.

lionhead

Post by lionhead » March 30th, 2015, 5:34 pm

mcaggie, we know you are not happy with the choice. I'm from your era too. I remember the Ladell teams and there were some very good teams. There were some very good Larry E. teams and there were some very good Stew teams. I'm of the opinion that Stew is the best Aggie BB coach ever. I believe you think LaDell is the best ever. Quite frankly it's all an opinion.

Maybe TD has earned the job out of respect. I like that kind of loyalty. Remember when we all went crazy when Dale Brown did not get the job? My guess is that you thought he had earned the job as a loyal asst. coach and was the right man for the job. Most likely he was and maybe TD will be great. I'm not sure what your ideal person would have been, but maybe, just maybe that Coach did not want to come to USU. Most likely, that is the case. Just my opinion.

Loyalty is very important in my mind and should be rewarded. It happens all the time in coaching circles. Was Ladell disloyal leaving the USU AD position to coach BYU. I think it was. Can you imagine this board in today's world if that happened?

I understand your feelings but I think he deserves a season or two to prove himself. I think you would want that same chance for yourself.

Go Aggies and good luck TD!

coolag

Post by coolag » March 30th, 2015, 5:35 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:I thought we weren't allowed to comment on decisions made by the AD anymore unless or until we are millionaire donors like coolag.
Don't forget it.

Regulator of Class

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 30th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Where were all the Hire Duryea threads before the decision was made? I only remember him being the top choice by a handful on this board.

Also, where are donors like Archie? He has the funds to purchase dozens of head coaches for Utah State. I'm starting to wonder if Archie is as successful as we all think he is.

frankiedoeshollywood

Post by frankiedoeshollywood » March 30th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Wait a second..... I thought we hired Connor?

usufan5477

Post by usufan5477 » March 30th, 2015, 7:40 pm

This letter is a joke. Duryea will do a great job, just support him.

AgTime

Post by AgTime » March 30th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Agreed.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » March 30th, 2015, 8:04 pm

usufan5477 wrote:This letter is a joke. Duryea will do a great job, just support him.
You realize that this is mostly directed at you, right? Who the hell are you to tell other people when and how to support their team. I'm going to support Duryea, not because some overly sensitive person hiding behind their computer told me to, but because I'm an aggie.

I'm not particularly happy about this hire, but I'm going to support it because that's my choice. And if other aggies choose to not support this hire, then that's their prerogative. So stop telling them what to do. We respect your choice to love the hire, respect our choice to be apprehensive.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » March 30th, 2015, 8:51 pm

I'm going to reserve my judgements of Coach Duryea until he actually coaches a game or three.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 30th, 2015, 8:52 pm

usufan5477 wrote:This letter is a joke. Duryea will do a great job, just support him.
And therein lies the problem, my friend. You think this is a joke. I truly feel sorry for you because you will not allow for a differing opinion. The sole purpose for this thread is for a narrow mind like yours to try to understand that there are all kinds of Aggie fans out there who have differing opinions. Yet we all come together, hopefully, in a common cause. When someone calls others opinions as jokes, or scorns them because everyone is not totally happy with the hire, it shows a lack of understanding and a very narrow perspective. We are all on the same team, son.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 30th, 2015, 10:41 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
And therein lies the problem, my friend. You think this is a joke. I truly feel sorry for you because you will not allow for a differing opinion. The sole purpose for this thread is for a narrow mind like yours to try to understand that there are all kinds of Aggie fans out there who have differing opinions. Yet we all come together, hopefully, in a common cause. When someone calls others opinions as jokes, or scorns them because everyone is not totally happy with the hire, it shows a lack of understanding and a very narrow perspective. We are all on the same team, son.
To be fair, it has gone both ways. There has been plenty of laughing at others for their optimism in thinking TD will do well.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 30th, 2015, 10:44 pm

This is your opinion. Mcaggie has his opinion. Simply because you repeat your opinion incessantly does not make yours any more valid.

diehardaggiefan

Post by diehardaggiefan » April 2nd, 2015, 6:59 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
So by the "masses," you are just referring to the majority of people who post on usufans.com?
Yeah usufans.com certainly doesn't represent Aggie fans. I have never met an Aggie fan in the real world that supports Chris Jones, but on here he has a bunch of little lemmings that treat him like the second coming of John Wooden. The stupidity would be funny if Jones wasn't so damaging to Aggie sports.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » April 2nd, 2015, 7:36 pm

diehardaggiefan wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Yeah usufans.com certainly doesn't represent Aggie fans. I have never met an Aggie fan in the real world that supports Chris Jones, but on here he has a bunch of little lemmings that treat him like the second coming of John Wooden. The stupidity would be funny if Jones wasn't so damaging to Aggie sports.
The players love him...?

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 2nd, 2015, 7:54 pm

diehardaggiefan wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
John Wooden he is not. I will give you that. The rest of your (I can't express myself without swearing) is approaching fatal attraction level admiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 2nd, 2015, 7:58 pm

Sorry he didn't recruit your kid.

Locked Previous topicNext topic