Commit Grid Update

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Commit Grid Update

Post by GeoAg » January 27th, 2011, 12:51 am

I finally got around to updating the commit grid again. Even given the questions we face with conference stability, this looks like a great class.

For those who care about stars, we have 8 players currently committed or signed with 3-star rankings (Vea, Bojay, Keeton, Lapuaho, Palepoi, Thomas, Harold, Jackson), with two more I've heard of coming in for visits this weekend. For reference, that is more in one year than I can find in the past decade. The previous coaching staff (bless their hearts) only inked 4 guys of that were 3-star or better...in four years.

For those who don't care about stars, take a look at the higlight videos of Travis Seefeldt and Paul Piukala (great speed for his size) in particular and then remember that Turbo and Morrison were 2-star guys while James Brindley was unranked. Also note that we have serious size in the trenches in this class.

I hope it all translates onto the field. I can't wait for spring ball! With the number of JCs this class should have an immediate impact on the field. Couple that with some of the guys we have returning (Gallagher, Wagner, McClenton, Turbo, Morrison, Smith, Austin, Bartlett) and we might have something. Turbo by himself is worth the price of admission. I heard he is carving his own statue to go next to Merlin with his bare hands.

I just watched my first highlight video for a punter. I need serious help.

As always, if anybody is aware of a video for a player who doesn't have one linked, let me know.
Last edited by GeoAg on January 27th, 2011, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Re: Commit Grid Update

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » January 27th, 2011, 12:56 am

Geo, when we sign our long snapper and you are watching constant video I will worry about you but until then you are just an avid aggie fan.

BigPermAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BigPermAg » January 27th, 2011, 12:57 am

You're a sick puppy Geo. Thanks for the recruit updates ... you too Hordemann!

BigPermAg

Post by BigPermAg » January 27th, 2011, 2:08 am

Alright you got me looking. Seefeldt is an animal and look at this video:

The first part is his Junior year and starting at about 5:10 is where it gets good. It starts showing him at the BIG MAN camp for ASU. A great look at his abilities starting at about 6:19 where he looks good as an OL, but destroys as a DL in the 1v1 drills!!!

sammyhagar

Post by sammyhagar » January 27th, 2011, 12:20 pm

you have Lasike as a LB....that should be DL or else that is one big boy behind the line..

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 27th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Fixed. Thanks Sammy.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Geo- Who are your top 5. Looking at film I like Thomas, Seefeldt, Bojay, Tenney and Lapuaho. Many others
could be good like the Wimpys

Our average line size must be increasing by 15lbs with these recruits and Evan coming in.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 27th, 2011, 8:02 pm

AGGIEFIGHT wrote:Geo- Who are your top 5. Looking at film I like Thomas, Seefeldt, Bojay, Tenney and Lapuaho. Many others
could be good like the Wimpys

Our average line size must be increasing by 15lbs with these recruits and Evan coming in.
I looking forward to Bojay and Laphuaho. Can't wait to see the D being anchored by some fellow Lancers. I loved Bojay's quote in Aggieville about not settling for less, but settling for the best.

I'll call out a few that I am excited about that I think are a little under the radar.

Maurice Alexander...6'2" 225 with a 4.5 40 is awesome for a linebacker. He was one of our top targets
Paul Piukala...This guy has great closing speed and may surprise
Thomas isn't under the radar at all, but I love what he can bring. He has an extra gear
I really like what I've seen of Kennedy and I think his running ability will be better than expected
Seefeldt...I love watching that highlight. That kid is one nasty sucker. Glad he's on our team.

Spring ball can't come soon enough.

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » January 27th, 2011, 8:08 pm

It'll be interesting to see who turns out and who doesn't.

Kind of like that article I found from 2004 about the recruits we were all so excited about.
I don't remember every hearing about Turbin or Morrison before they signed.

Last year we had our JC receivers and offensive lineman that never really turned out. Let's hope
things are different.

You're right Geo, Spring ball can't get here soon enough.

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » January 28th, 2011, 6:49 pm

This means nothing, really, but Scout.com has taken Boise off the WAC school list for football recruiting finally and right now, based on what they are posting, the WAC recruiting class is the lowest ranked conference (below the Sun Belt and the MAC), and USU has the 116th best class in the FBS, lowest in the WAC. Somehow, we need to get them better information because such incomplete information makes us look really bad to late recruits others surfing the site.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 28th, 2011, 6:55 pm

These recruiting sites want money. They need kids to go to their camps and be evaluated so they look good. Anyone who takes information from Scout, Rival, etc. needs to realize how messed up their system is.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » January 29th, 2011, 12:29 am

Blue Away wrote:This means nothing, really, but Scout.com has taken Boise off the WAC school list for football recruiting finally and right now, based on what they are posting, the WAC recruiting class is the lowest ranked conference (below the Sun Belt and the MAC), and USU has the 116th best class in the FBS, lowest in the WAC. Somehow, we need to get them better information because such incomplete information makes us look really bad to late recruits others surfing the site.
And on rivals.com we're #1 in the WAC. Interesting. Based off of what I've seen, we're definitely not last. Fresno has like under 10 commits still.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » January 29th, 2011, 1:06 am

UtahStizzle wrote:
Blue Away wrote:This means nothing, really, but Scout.com has taken Boise off the WAC school list for football recruiting finally and right now, based on what they are posting, the WAC recruiting class is the lowest ranked conference (below the Sun Belt and the MAC), and USU has the 116th best class in the FBS, lowest in the WAC. Somehow, we need to get them better information because such incomplete information makes us look really bad to late recruits others surfing the site.
And on rivals.com we're #1 in the WAC. Interesting. Based off of what I've seen, we're definitely not last. Fresno has like under 10 commits still.
This is great but if you look close you can see that we only average 1.7 stars. However, a lot of our guys haven't been rated so I am not going to take it too serious. That ties us with Idaho in average stars and we only beat out SJSU. I think someone from byu compiled a list of the top players in the mwc last year and they were on average only a 2-star recruit out of high school. I thought that was pretty cool and interesting. I also have to remind myself that no one ever mentioned Turbin and look how he turned out.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » January 29th, 2011, 5:44 am

Yeah I think the stars has to do with the fact we have a lot of commits and many aren't rated. All the rated ones are 2 and 3 stars.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

AggieIceCream81

Post by AggieIceCream81 » January 29th, 2011, 6:55 am

Boise State has done pretty good over the years with their 2 and 3 star athletes. I'm glad that the talents/abilities of the athletes are determined by the coaches and not us fans.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 2nd, 2011, 12:24 am

Grid updated again.

Added Gabe Anderson, Jumanne Robertson, and Terrell Thompson

Locked Previous topicNext topic