alternate mobile design

We want this to be the best online community of Aggie fans in the world. If you know of something that will make it better, let us know.
brownjeans
Flatulent

alternate mobile design

Post by brownjeans » February 7th, 2013, 8:58 am

I know a lot of people use tapatalk on mobile devices. I tried it and try to avoid it. I do not like it as much as the board in a browser. But the floating header is hell to deal with when you are on a portable device and using a browser. When you try to type a post, you tap on the text field the keyboard comes up and the header comes down and you can't see what you're typing. I hate it.

I suggest doing an alternate design (responsive design) for mobile devices with a static header or that's generally more mobile friendly. I mean, you've got nothing better to do right?

If it's time consuming I can lend a hand with the effort. I can sling HTML and CSS well.

treesap32

Re: alternate mobile design

Post by treesap32 » February 7th, 2013, 9:08 am

I think you can change the way the header appears in your user settings somewhere. I prefer not to use the "floating" or "fixed" header that stays at the top at all times (much to the chagrin of ProvoAggie and Aglicious). That's just how I roll. I value my screen space too much. This becomes more important on smaller devices like netbooks, tablets, or phones.

Here's a link to change this preference:

http://www.usufans.com/Preferences

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 7th, 2013, 9:50 am

HOORAY!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 7th, 2013, 9:53 am

I really only added the Fixed header option because I like it. I know that most people don't so by default it should be off for users and you have the ability to turn it off. I've been looking at some other options but ultimately phpBB is not a very mobile friendly message board software.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » February 7th, 2013, 10:04 am

My issue when using mobile is the footer that says "copyright USUFans." It moves all over the place and gets in the way of what I am doing. I like Tapatalk fine, buy it gets slow and crashes on me a lot. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out in some things bu using Tapatalk as much as I do.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » February 7th, 2013, 10:04 am

My issue when using mobile is the footer that says "copyright USUFans." It moves all over the place and gets in the way of what I am doing. I like Tapatalk fine, buy it gets slow and crashes on me a lot. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out in some things bu using Tapatalk as much as I do.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 7th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Zaggie07 wrote:My issue when using mobile is the footer that says "copyright USUFans." It moves all over the place and gets in the way of what I am doing. I like Tapatalk fine, buy it gets slow and crashes on me a lot. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out in some things bu using Tapatalk as much as I do.
Would it be better if the Footer didn't float with the header? I have it set to float because of some administrative tools on it but if it's causing problems for everyone else then it probably isn't worth having it fixed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic