Question about the Hawaii game.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Crusaders
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question about the Hawaii game.

Post by Crusaders » December 29th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Where are these refs from? I assume they're home grown?

trehogi74

Re: Question about the Hawaii game.

Post by trehogi74 » December 29th, 2010, 9:05 pm

Offensive Rebounds.
HAWAII - 1
USU - 16

GUS

Post by GUS » December 29th, 2010, 9:25 pm

There were only 2 refs instead of 3 and they stunk it up both ways.

Crusaders

Post by Crusaders » December 29th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Listening to our radio guy, it sounded atrocious and one sided. Might not necessarily have been that way, but that's how it sounded. Ouch.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 29th, 2010, 9:33 pm

Let's see, tonight's officials were Stan Albrecht, Scott Barnes, and Gary Morrill, I don't see any problem here.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 29th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Hawaii was lucky there was a huge snow storm tonight cause they got an extremely watered down Spectrum. They can say what they want about the calls, but typically the aggressor gets to the line more.

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » December 29th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Crusaders wrote:Listening to our radio guy, it sounded atrocious and one sided. Might not necessarily have been that way, but that's how it sounded. Ouch.
I listened to our radio guy, and it sounded atrocious and one sided in favor of you guys (but then it usually does). I'm guessing that there was a bunch of crap going both ways.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » December 29th, 2010, 9:55 pm

The refs were extremely bad, not the worst but pretty bad. There were only 2 so they missed a lot and were out of position for the majority of the calls they were making, they did a good job of keeping up though (they looked to be in good shape). Stew got a T early on and threw the basketball back in to the other ref and it looked like he meant to throw it too high (and it was a hard thrown ball), so there may have also been some residual there. We out rebounded Hawaii by a ton, but they were really accurate on their shooting and we shot in the 40s I believe. Every time we pulled away they would hit a ridiculous shot or we would get a horrible call or both.

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » December 29th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Verne Harris is a Final Four ref. I have never thought Darren George was any good but he has been around. They were both bad tonight. Did anyone hear why we only had 2 ?

DCS

Post by DCS » December 29th, 2010, 9:58 pm

wacfan08 wrote:Verne Harris is a Final Four ref. I have never thought Darren George was any good but he has been around. They were both bad tonight. Did anyone hear why we only had 2 ?

His plane couldn't land because of the snow

ryanolsen

Post by ryanolsen » December 29th, 2010, 10:20 pm

There was a stretch in the 2nd half that was absolutely killing us tonight. The hold on Bendall comes to mind. I thought Stew was going to get his 2nd T. His face was completely red. After that I felt like we got the calls for awhile, then it seemed to go back in Hawaii's favor. There was the elbow Pane took there at the end and, the 2 official stoppages there at the end seemed to benefit Hawaii (they were out of time outs on the last one but got a chance to chat - I think the same went for setting the d the previous time)

BTW, anyone have a stream tonight and, if so, how did that elbow looked. I hope it wasn't as bad as it looked from my seat.

USUALUM

Post by USUALUM » December 29th, 2010, 10:36 pm

ryanolsen wrote:There was a stretch in the 2nd half that was absolutely killing us tonight. The hold on Bendall comes to mind. I thought Stew was going to get his 2nd T. His face was completely red. After that I felt like we got the calls for awhile, then it seemed to go back in Hawaii's favor. There was the elbow Pane took there at the end and, the 2 official stoppages there at the end seemed to benefit Hawaii (they were out of time outs on the last one but got a chance to chat - I think the same went for setting the d the previous time)

BTW, anyone have a stream tonight and, if so, how did that elbow looked. I hope it wasn't as bad as it looked from my seat.
The screen on Pane looked just fine to me. It was solid, no elbow.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 29th, 2010, 10:39 pm

DCS wrote:
wacfan08 wrote:Verne Harris is a Final Four ref. I have never thought Darren George was any good but he has been around. They were both bad tonight. Did anyone hear why we only had 2 ?

His plane couldn't land because of the snow
Scott Barnes was probably flying the plane. He can't do anything right!

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 30th, 2010, 1:20 am

GUS wrote:There were only 2 refs instead of 3 and they stunk it up both ways.
This.

There were players getting stabbed out there and no calls. Actual referee quotes from game:

'I didn't see it, coach, sorry.' - A dozen times at least.

'Coach, I'm still trying to figure out which team has the ball'.

'Wait, it's not halftime still?'

'There was no elbow there! But yes, that is a lot of blood for one person to lose'

'Scott Barnes gave me $50 bucks to favor the Warriors'

Twitter: UtahStizzle

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 30th, 2010, 1:43 am

USUALUM wrote:
ryanolsen wrote:There was a stretch in the 2nd half that was absolutely killing us tonight. The hold on Bendall comes to mind. I thought Stew was going to get his 2nd T. His face was completely red. After that I felt like we got the calls for awhile, then it seemed to go back in Hawaii's favor. There was the elbow Pane took there at the end and, the 2 official stoppages there at the end seemed to benefit Hawaii (they were out of time outs on the last one but got a chance to chat - I think the same went for setting the d the previous time)

On the post game show, Stew mentioned that the refs told him that play was a missed offensive foul after they checked the video to see if it was flagrant. I agree with them. I didn't think it looked too bad.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

GUS

Post by GUS » December 30th, 2010, 8:24 am

It seemed to me that Hawaiis offense involved a ton of moving screens that were not called. Without them Hawaiis shooting woulld have been worse

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » December 30th, 2010, 8:50 am

Crusaders wrote:Listening to our radio guy, it sounded atrocious and one sided. Might not necessarily have been that way, but that's how it sounded. Ouch.
That might be part of the problem.

Believe me, if we listened to Al Lewis (USU radio guy) and took his every word as truth, we'd believe that no team ever scored USU without committing an offensive foul or traveling and that no team ever stopped USU without fouling them. The point: radio guys are biased.

It's one thing to blame the refs on egregious calls, but last night that was not the case. USU probably did get a sight edge from the refs--as the home team ALWAYS does--but as has been pointed out, the difference in the game was rebounding (and the Warriors' inability to stop Tai Wesley).

Hawai'i played very well and I give them all the credit in the world. I am very worried about the game on the islands this year. I can't imagine Hawai'i will shoot 57% from three again, but if they do, the Aggies are in trouble.
Last edited by MarioWest on December 30th, 2010, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » December 30th, 2010, 8:50 am

The difference between a veteran team and a young team is how they can
hold and bump without getting a foul called. Towards the end of the game a
hawaii player was called for holding Wesley on a rebound. My guess is that
Ty probably felt the Hold and then locked up with the Hawaii players arm so the
refs had no choice bu to make the call. Give Hawaii another year and some
of these calls will fall their way. I would not like to meet them on the first day
of the tourney.

AggieHoops

Post by AggieHoops » December 30th, 2010, 8:58 am

Interesting that the ref that called the flagrant foul against Hawaii last night was the same guy who called it against Tai at BYU. Both times he stopped the game and went to the monitor and then made the call. I didn't think that the Hawaii player had done anything wrong last night, just like Tai hadn't at BYU. I wonder how many of these calls this guy will make this year.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » December 30th, 2010, 11:33 am

GeoAg wrote:
USUALUM wrote:

On the post game show, Stew mentioned that the refs told him that play was a missed offensive foul after they checked the video to see if it was flagrant. I agree with them. I didn't think it looked too bad.
First post here for me

But I was sitting in Section F (front row) and it was definitely an illegal screen and the shoulder was positioned to make contact with BK's head. it was definitely a foul. But with only two refs, some of that stuff is gonna get missed, and it's too bad it was a really bad foul like that that got missed. But oh well.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 30th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I hope we don't face anyone in the first round! That would mean we didn't win the WAC.

troutputz
RIP

People oh people......

Post by troutputz » December 30th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Let me "make this Perfectly clear", or "I would like to say this about that", It was Karl the Fudd Benson who assigned the refs from the WAC officiating office. Face it the better refs in the West go to the PAC 10 first, then the MT. West. There is trading amongst conferences all the time. When we were in the BIg Worst a lot of the refs of course came from California and we students at the time talked to several of them before games. We actually had one ref who hated Utah State because of the throwing of the toilet paper and he was going to hold that against us from then on. Many of you remember him, the P........., Norm Baruckie. The ref that Stew hates to see in a game is Lonnie Dixon, him and Stew don't get along at all for whatever reason. Lonnie refed the BYU game in Provo and called the Phantom Tail swinging of the elbows flagrant foul.

Nonetheless Hawaii, if you think the WAC officials are bad, what until you get in the Big West...your in for a real treat when you play in Fullerton's High School Gym! You will wish you had never left the WAC. And while I am crtiqueing refs, the Big Sky is some of the worst you will ever see, they are even worse than the Big West, if that is possible.

PVAggie

Post by PVAggie » December 30th, 2010, 5:00 pm

One of the refs last night has done final 4 games. Stew said he is one of the best refs in the business.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » December 30th, 2010, 5:47 pm

That being said, then that right there is a sad comment. IMO, the refs have taken over the game too much.....Not just basketball but football also. I would like the refs to officiate the regular season games like they do the NCAA tournament games. Then I would have no complaints against them. I like how the NCAA games our refed with the idea that they let them play more.
I understand that they let them do that last night, but it sounded like the problem was that sometimes they let them play and other times they did not. You can't have it both ways if you are to have a good consistent flow of the game. IMO the flow of today's games are being interupted too much by the refs!

Locked Previous topicNext topic