Losing Keeton?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

Losing Keeton?

Post by Aglicious » December 16th, 2010, 2:42 am

As has been pointed out in the pinned verbals thread, it appears Chuck Keeton now has a visit set up for 1-14-11 at Rice. Why would a player take a visit if they have already verbally committed elsewhere? Why would a school use one of their visits in this situation unless they truly felt like there was a chance to talk the player out of their commitment? :wtf:

No matter how common this may be, there's just something slimy about inviting a student-athlete to your campus with the intent of trying to get him/her to back out of an agreement and commitment they have already given to another institution...even if it's only verbally.

I would love to believe Keeton is a man of his word and that all will be well, but if that were the case why even take the trip? If he was "all in" he would cancel any remaining visits. Could this be Scout with poor or outdated info? :headscratch: I tend to think it's not because there was an article from 6 days ago with the headline: 'New Suitors for Keeton' :(

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: Losing Keeton?

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 16th, 2010, 3:50 am

he already backed out of one school to come here. i hope he doesn't go.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » December 16th, 2010, 9:19 am

Perhaps he didn't like the signing of Kennedy? :noidea:

Unfortunately, it's not 'outdated' info. Here's a link to Rice's message board which basically confirms that they are going after Keeton and are going to try and sway him to stay home- http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=421547&page=3#

Until a commit signs on the dotted line, they are fair game to anyone else. It's really up to the recruit to uphold their end of the deal and remain loyal to the commitment they gave, albeit verbally.
Last edited by AGGZILLA on December 16th, 2010, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

MrsH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MrsH » December 16th, 2010, 9:29 am

When Evan committed to SMU he had other visits still planned which he canceled however many people, including coaches, suggested that he take the other visits just to "make sure". Evan felt that he had made his decision and that the other visits should be utilized to bring in other prospects that still had not decided. IMHO I would guess that this kid may not be sure yet....or maybe he feels like a vacation? :noidea:

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » December 16th, 2010, 10:28 am

Did the Kennedy signing affected his decision?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 16th, 2010, 10:36 am

Keeton would be an awesome get but I have never been huge on QBs that don't like competition. Sure everyone wants to play and be the starter but I have yet to see a great QB that ran away from competition. Max Hall might be the best, but look at all of the Mitch Mustaine's out there. I hope that Keeton is still committed to Utah State and that he comes in and works his butt off to become the starter. Think of how much better he will be if he is able to beat out Kennedy after a fierce competition. Look at DB this year versus last. This year he was never pushed or challenged and we see how that went.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 16th, 2010, 10:36 am

If Kennedy's signing did affect his decision and he does go somewhere else that's too bad, but at the same time, if he's not willing to fight for his spot, or if he's not confident in his abilities to be the starter then he may not pan out in Gary's program anyway.

That said, I think he will be great and really hope he sticks it out with us.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

cowcollege

Post by cowcollege » December 16th, 2010, 10:55 am

dyedblue wrote:Keeton would be an awesome get but I have never been huge on QBs that don't like competition. Sure everyone wants to play and be the starter but I have yet to see a great QB that ran away from competition. Max Hall might be the best, but look at all of the Mitch Mustaine's out there. I hope that Keeton is still committed to Utah State and that he comes in and works his butt off to become the starter. Think of how much better he will be if he is able to beat out Kennedy after a fierce competition. Look at DB this year versus last. This year he was never pushed or challenged and we see how that went.

Reminds me a little bit of the Alex Cate story. For those who don't remember, Cate played with Stanley Havili (USC) at Cottonwood HS a few years ago. He was a top QB prospect being courted by basically every school in the country. Cate initially committed to LSU, but got a little incensed when he found out they were chasing after another quarterback. Cate then de-committed and ended up at Oklahoma State, where he became a backup for many years and left the program after having a terrible showing for the team in backup duty last year and losing his spot to Brandon Weeden.

There's something about a position battle. If a kid cannot handle the idea of having to prove himself against other scholarship athletes going into a program, I don't think it ever goes well.

BTW, Cate just finished up his senior season at D-II Central Washington, while that other quarterback LSU wanted ended up winning a couple of national championships for Urban Meyer and is now the backup QB for the Denver Broncos.

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » December 16th, 2010, 10:59 am

That is what I love about this site.. The competition.. It brings out the best in me..
Let's bring Chuckie in here maybe we can toughen him up a little.

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 16th, 2010, 11:09 am

How long is Kennedy eligible? Seeing Keeton would be a freshmen, it's fair to say he'd at least get a couple years of start...at LEAST. We've got a decent QB situation though with Higgins, Alex Hart (?), and Kennedy coming in.

Keeton explained he really liked USU's computer engineering program. I wonder how Rice's holds up?

Twitter: UtahStizzle

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » December 16th, 2010, 11:20 am

Disclaimer- No one on here at the current time knows why Keeton is doing what he's doing.

With that said, even if our JC guy started the next 2 years Keeton would still have a chance to start for 2 years. It's kind of the same situation with Brokeith Pane and James Walker. I am excited for the JC QB and I love his size but we haven't had the best luck with JC QB recruits over the years. This doesn't mean that things can't change with a new guy. With all of the weapons and playmakers we have coming back you don't have to be Tom Brady out on the field. I don't care who our starting QB is, I just want to head to a bowl game in the next 2 years.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 16th, 2010, 11:35 am

Speaking of Brady he was a backup at Michigan for 3 full years before he got the starting job. Matt Cassel never even started for USC.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Some quarterbacks just have happy feet.

It's something some never fully shake.

USU "LJIII . . . anybody else come to mind?" 78

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 16th, 2010, 12:47 pm

JasonJensen wrote:I am excited for the JC QB and I love his size but we haven't had the best luck with JC QB recruits over the years.
Two words:

Anthony frickin Calvillo

USU "Your metapoint is a good one, though: not too many JCs have worked out at QB" 78

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GUS

Post by GUS » December 16th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Cavillo was a steal from the jc ranks. Ron Lopez wasn't a bad jc quarterback either.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » December 16th, 2010, 1:29 pm

GUS wrote:Cavillo was a steal from the jc ranks. Ron Lopez wasn't a bad jc quarterback either.

Matt Sauk was another good QB from the JC ranks. Patrick Mullins, as well.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » December 16th, 2010, 2:15 pm

I guess I should've said recent years.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 16th, 2010, 3:00 pm

The fact he already decommitted from Air Force made me feel uneasy about him to start. Plus he committed around the BYU game, so he's probably noticed the Aggies losing record since then, more WAC turmoil, and is starting to get nervous.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 16th, 2010, 3:33 pm

He probably is thinking about staying close to home, being in a secure conference, and playing. If he goes he goes. I hope he comes. We could really use his talents in Lake Bonneville Beach.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » December 17th, 2010, 12:38 pm

A little bird told me that Keeton cancelled the visit to Rice. I don't think that there are any worries with him.

blazing7s

Post by blazing7s » December 17th, 2010, 1:58 pm

In Gary we trust.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » December 17th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Not to totally change the subject...but where does Manning fit into all this? Who of these quaterbacks would he be battling for playing time?

BigPermAg

Post by BigPermAg » December 17th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Manning gets back next winter too late to be with the team. I believe he will gray shirt and not practice with the team at all. He will start practicing spring of 2012 and be a true frosh that fall battling with Kennedy (senior), Keeton (frosh / soph), Higgins (junior), and Hart(soph). Great spacing for the future.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 17th, 2010, 4:19 pm

MrsH wrote:When Evan committed to SMU he had other visits still planned which he canceled however many people, including coaches, suggested that he take the other visits just to "make sure". Evan felt that he had made his decision and that the other visits should be utilized to bring in other prospects that still had not decided. IMHO I would guess that this kid may not be sure yet....or maybe he feels like a vacation? :noidea:
That would be a pretty crappy vacation, MrsH, since Rice is only about 20 miles of Houston traffic from Chuckie. Driven it many times, and it's no vacation!

Chuckie's high school -- Cypress Creek -- is in the same school district and shares a boundary with Jersey Village HS, which produced the talented but troublesome Jerod Walker for the Aggies a few years ago. I'm optimistic that this one will turn out better.

Nobody here knows anything.

aggie16

Post by aggie16 » December 17th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Don't know anything about Jerod Walker; but Jersey Village and Cypress Creek are very diffeerent communities in Northwest Houston. Looking at the schools that Keeton considered; Rice, Air Force Academy, don't make me think that the young man is troublesome. These schools go through a rigorous vetting process before they offer a kid. I also read that the enngineering dept. played a key role in him choosing USU.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » December 17th, 2010, 6:33 pm

BigPermAg wrote:Manning gets back next winter too late to be with the team. I believe he will gray shirt and not practice with the team at all. He will start practicing spring of 2012 and be a true frosh that fall battling with Kennedy (senior), Keeton (frosh / soph), Higgins (junior), and Hart(soph). Great spacing for the future.
Manning gray shirted before leaving on his mission. He should still have a redshirt available for the 2012 season if need be. The kid could be our QB through 2016! We'll all be flyin' around in hover cars by then!

MrsH

Post by MrsH » December 17th, 2010, 7:59 pm

OKAggie wrote:
MrsH wrote:When Evan committed to SMU he had other visits still planned which he canceled however many people, including coaches, suggested that he take the other visits just to "make sure". Evan felt that he had made his decision and that the other visits should be utilized to bring in other prospects that still had not decided. IMHO I would guess that this kid may not be sure yet....or maybe he feels like a vacation? :noidea:
That would be a pretty crappy vacation, MrsH, since Rice is only about 20 miles of Houston traffic from Chuckie. Driven it many times, and it's no vacation!

Chuckie's high school -- Cypress Creek -- is in the same school district and shares a boundary with Jersey Village HS, which produced the talented but troublesome Jerod Walker for the Aggies a few years ago. I'm optimistic that this one will turn out better.
Being sarcastic and yeah, I agree, Houston is no party.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 18th, 2010, 3:09 am

aggie16 wrote:Don't know anything about Jerod Walker; but Jersey Village and Cypress Creek are very diffeerent communities in Northwest Houston. Looking at the schools that Keeton considered; Rice, Air Force Academy, don't make me think that the young man is troublesome. These schools go through a rigorous vetting process before they offer a kid. I also read that the enngineering dept. played a key role in him choosing USU.
Yeah this kid is a scholar and a gentlemen.

These are the type of players you want. Good at their sport, better at life.

justinmorrey

Post by justinmorrey » December 18th, 2010, 7:42 pm

If he goes I feel good about the JC kid coming in and then Manning taking over after that. Being as deep as possible at QB is never a bad thing though. Sounds like Keeton would push for the starting job so I'd love to keep him but I wouldn't be too worried if he left. Next year would be my biggest worry because we could be hurting if our starter got injured.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » December 21st, 2010, 12:26 am

You guys won't remember Brent Snyder but he was probably the best JC QB we've ever had here. A big guy, about 6-3 and 220, he had a very big gun for an arm and would stand there in the pocket, with it collapsing all around him, and then, just as he was about to get sacked, hit the open receiver for 10 or 15. Had he been here a full four years, there is no doubt in my mind he would be USU's all-time yardage leader. He is third on the all-time list behind Fuentes (9168 - 4 years), Tony Adams (6,226 - 3yrs) with 6105 over two years. Let's say he averages what he did his first two years and add one more year of production. That would be 9157.5 yards in three years, or 11 behind Fuentes, who played some as a Freshman. Personally, having watched them both, and they were both good, Snyder was simply the more gifted and polished quarterback. He ended up playing back-up in the NFL for Chicago for a couple of years. But he was really good.

If QB Keeton is any good, let him come and compete. That's what it is all about. No more at USU do we simply annoint somebody the starting QB. Gary is setting up a system where competition yields the best player. We're going to have a helluva competition this spring, and may the best player win!

Big Blue

Then the one that wasn't so good...

Post by Big Blue » December 24th, 2010, 12:46 am

Anybody remember the immortal Tom "Lead feet" Ponich. Now there was a chump. Couldn't throw and couldn't run. Oh yeah, there was one thing he did real well...Get sacked!

Tony Adams was a GREAT Transfer....from Texas, not from a JC but still a transfer. :lol:

NavyBlueAggie

Re: Then the one that wasn't so good...

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 24th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Big Blue wrote:Anybody remember the immortal Tom "Lead feet" Ponich. Now there was a chump. Couldn't throw and couldn't run. Oh yeah, there was one thing he did real well...Get sacked!

Tony Adams was a GREAT Transfer....from Texas, not from a JC but still a transfer. :lol:

A number of our past Aggies weren't too good for any number of reasons, but they still practiced, played and bled. The support from our USU Presidents office was tepid, or less.

Tony Adams transferred to Utah State when we were independent and we enjoyed the transfer "instant elegible' clause. Tony was a treat to watch after he got his Sophomore year behind him.

AGGIEFIGHT

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » January 4th, 2011, 11:37 am

I noticed we may bringing in a teammate of Keetons for a visit , a player named
Hollis from the same High School

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm

AggiesForever wrote:You guys won't remember Brent Snyder but he was probably the best JC QB we've ever had here.
I'm guessing at least a full third of the posters on this site remember Brent Snyder. He was definitely a good one. But the best JC QB? That honor arguably goes to Bob Gagliano. Though he was only here for a year, the guy was a stud. He was an All American at Glendale Community College, and is still the No. 3 all-time passer there even though he did not play two full seasons. In his one season in Aggie blue (he arrived when Eric Hipple departed), Gagliano threw for 20 TD's (tied with Snyder and Fuentes for 3rd all-time in an Aggie season), including 5 against BYU (tied for the Romney Stadium record). He went on to play for 12 seasons in the NFL.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

NoCalAggie

Post by NoCalAggie » January 6th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Home visit with Keeton on Tuesday went well, he's most likely locked up from what I hear from my sources.

Locked Previous topicNext topic