Wyoming Swim Team

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
bwcrc

Wyoming Swim Team

Post by bwcrc » February 23rd, 2024, 12:38 pm

Three team members killed with two others injured in a single-car accident near the Wyoming-Colorado border. This just sucks and I feel for the Wyoming swim and diving team.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/ ... car-crash/

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Re: Wyoming Swim Team

Post by BigBlueDart » February 23rd, 2024, 12:59 pm

Didn't we have an accident a decade or so ago that involved track and field, or maybe cross country team members, and one of the athletes died?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 23rd, 2024, 1:24 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 12:59 pm
Didn't we have an accident a decade or so ago that involved track and field, or maybe cross country team members, and one of the athletes died?
I remember when Travis Seefeldt got in a wreck. It was mostly football players and I don’t recall anyone dying.

Truly tragic for Wyo. hearts out to the pokes.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
bwcrc

AggieInTucson

Post by AggieInTucson » February 23rd, 2024, 1:25 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
I know Wyoming also had eight Cowboy cross country runners die on that same road less than a week after 9/11
Last edited by AggieInTucson on February 23rd, 2024, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » February 23rd, 2024, 1:41 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
I recall a couple USU vehicle accidents -

2005 an Ag College field trip had a van rollover on I84 by Tremonton with 8-9 deaths.

A few years before that a men's volleyball club team had a crash, but no deaths that I recall
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post:
BustaMcNutt

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » February 23rd, 2024, 3:02 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 1:41 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
I recall a couple USU vehicle accidents -

2005 an Ag College field trip had a van rollover on I84 by Tremonton with 8-9 deaths.

A few years before that a men's volleyball club team had a crash, but no deaths that I recall
The men's volleyball accident was on I-80 about 20 miles west of Laramie in April 2001. We all fortunately recovered. The most seriously injured woke up two weeks after the accident, was walking about two weeks after that, and was playing again with us once we got back in school in the fall. It was miraculous for us on how it turned out and that we all recovered.

With how Wyoming stepped us and helped us out, I have a soft spot in my heart to this day for the school. But I still want to see USU crush them whenever they play.

There was also an accident involving the USU hockey team a few years before the volleyball team accident as they were travelling to or from Ogden for practice.

USU still requires some training before being able to drive the 15 passenger vans that was implemented after the volleyball team accident. My son got a bit of a kick telling his boss last year that his dad was in the volleyball accident that led to the training requirement.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaaggies22

cval

Post by cval » February 23rd, 2024, 5:52 pm

Actually, after the Ag accident, USU stopped using 15 passenger vans entirely. Sold our fleet of them and said we would not use them again.
These users thanked the author cval for the post (total 2):
bwcrcaggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 23rd, 2024, 6:40 pm

My heart aches for the families and everyone involved. One of them was from South Africa. All of the deaths are tragic but can't imagine the family being a half world then hearing this news. Tragic on all accounts. Each day is a gift.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
bwcrc

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 23rd, 2024, 6:49 pm

Now that I'm hearing these stories I'm pretty sure I was thinking of the Ag School accident.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 23rd, 2024, 7:48 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 1:24 pm
BigBlueDart wrote:
I remember when Travis Seefeldt got in a wreck. It was mostly football players and I don’t recall anyone dying.
The accident involving Travis Seefeldt had a softball girl and three other defensive linemen. They were not wearing seat belts. All of them had to be life flighted and spend time in critical condition. They were lucky they survived and walked and even played division one football again. There were nine variables that worked in their favor like the angle the semi hit them, the hole that blood squirted out of the girl's head, that they were in a GMC Yukon instead of something like a Ford Focus.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » February 23rd, 2024, 8:22 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 7:48 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
The accident involving Travis Seefeldt had a softball girl and three other defensive linemen. They were not wearing seat belts. All of them had to be life flighted and spend time in critical condition. They were lucky they survived and walked and even played division one football again. There were nine variables that worked in their favor like the angle the semi hit them, the hole that blood squirted out of the girl's head, that they were in a GMC Yukon instead of something like a Ford Focus.
I remember seeing the image of that Yukon and thinking it was amazing anyone survived that.

Hoot

Post by Hoot » February 23rd, 2024, 9:29 pm

Didn’t Junior Keiaho lose an arm in an accident after his playing career here ended?

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

blueblood

Post by blueblood » February 23rd, 2024, 10:10 pm

Hoot wrote:Didn’t Junior Keiaho lose an arm in an accident after his playing career here ended?
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 25th, 2024, 3:41 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 6:49 pm
Now that I'm hearing these stories I'm pretty sure I was thinking of the Ag School accident.
There is one thing I remember about that Ag School accident. One of the kids who died was someone who had previously took the meat cutting class at Bridgerland. He took the class before my time, but I met him when he came back to visit the instructors who he was friends with it. And it felt like the meat lab was haunted cause there were four kids who were in that program that died from four different unrelated incidents in a short period of time. The Ag school van wreck that the one guy died from, someone else who was making a delivery and died from a wreck in Ogden, someone else who died from a four wheeler accident, and someone who got shot in a gang fight.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2024, 6:48 am

Hoot wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 9:29 pm
Didn’t Junior Keiaho lose an arm in an accident after his playing career here ended?
He got hit by a car on I-15 if I remember correctly.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 26th, 2024, 6:56 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 7:48 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
BigBlueDart wrote:
Travis, John Taylor (the softball player was his fiancee), Wally Adeoye, and Edmund Faimalo are all lucky to be alive.

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » February 26th, 2024, 7:43 am

Not to get off topic but why doesn't USU have a swimming and diving team? I feel like it would be an easy sport to add. Is it because it's such a money pit and we just don't have the budget for it?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 26th, 2024, 7:43 am

I was a passenger in the 1996 hockey team van crash. No fatalities luckily, but 3 players suffered significant injuries.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 26th, 2024, 7:51 am

FromLItoLogan wrote:
February 26th, 2024, 7:43 am
Not to get off topic but why doesn't USU have a swimming and diving team? I feel like it would be an easy sport to add. Is it because it's such a money pit and we just don't have the budget for it?
It wasn't a Title IX decision. I'm not sure why we dropped the sport, but we definitely had one after the war years. When the HPER was built, they made sure it could accommodate competitive swimming in case the WAC came calling.

We've got a decent club swim team. Doesn't ever get mentioned around here.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » February 28th, 2024, 4:03 pm

USU78 wrote:
FromLItoLogan wrote:
It wasn't a Title IX decision. I'm not sure why we dropped the sport, but we definitely had one after the war years. When the HPER was built, they made sure it could accommodate competitive swimming in case the WAC came calling.

My niece just swam in high school State finals down at byu. Made me go look for our team. As a club sport I'm not surprised it doesn't get mentioned.

That's one that would be fun to add.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 28th, 2024, 8:44 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
February 28th, 2024, 4:03 pm
USU78 wrote:
FromLItoLogan wrote:

My niece just swam in high school State finals down at byu. Made me go look for our team. As a club sport I'm not surprised it doesn't get mentioned.

That's one that would be fun to add.
I was told years ago that student, noncompetitive usage makes holding meets and having team workouts impracticable.

Back when I was a freshman, I beat my older brother in the 50 fly to win the spring intramural meet. Don't know if they still do that.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic