USU Herd. . .

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
AggieIceCream05
Posts: 475
Joined: May 1st, 2023, 10:29 pm
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 246 times

USU Herd. . .

Post by AggieIceCream05 » November 3rd, 2023, 3:05 pm

has been “slacking” on social media. We have a completely new team and coaching staff, and I think it would be awesome to welcome them by packing the Spectrum, but no one on social media is telling students about this game tonight other than @ USU Men’s Basketball. It’s disappointing that we can consistently get 19,000 at the Mav, but we can’t fill the 10,000 + seat Spectrum. . .



Aggie_Watch
Posts: 206
Joined: January 16th, 2023, 1:57 pm
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by Aggie_Watch » November 3rd, 2023, 3:48 pm

AggieIceCream05 wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 3:05 pm
has been “slacking” on social media. We have a completely new team and coaching staff, and I think it would be awesome to welcome them by packing the Spectrum, but no one on social media is telling students about this game tonight other than @ USU Men’s Basketball. It’s disappointing that we can consistently get 19,000 at the Mav, but we can’t fill the 10,000 + seat Spectrum. . .
Excited for tonight’s game!!



User avatar
shoresy
Posts: 1114
Joined: May 2nd, 2023, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 1101 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by shoresy » November 3rd, 2023, 6:07 pm

I will say, the Hurd seems to be doing a decent job of getting out to women's sports this year (still not as good as it should be, but better than previous years), but their social media presence has gone from bad to abysmal. I despise the Show and would be embarrassed by them as a SDSU fan, but at least they post about their teams.

The last time the Hurd actually posted something (aside from retweets) on Twitter was March 11. Surely with all the paid positions they have on their "committee" they could find a marketing student who would run their social media.



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 3178
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 1911 times
Been thanked: 2602 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 3rd, 2023, 6:30 pm

shoresy wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 6:07 pm
I will say, the Hurd seems to be doing a decent job of getting out to women's sports this year (still not as good as it should be, but better than previous years), but their social media presence has gone from bad to abysmal. I despise the Show and would be embarrassed by them as a SDSU fan, but at least they post about their teams.

The last time the Hurd actually posted something (aside from retweets) on Twitter was March 11. Surely with all the paid positions they have on their "committee" they could find a marketing student who would run their social media.
They need to take some lessons from the Jungle at Idaho State. I have almost started following Idaho State athletics because the student section has a somewhat entertaining twitter account.



ToastedFlakes52
Posts: 272
Joined: January 16th, 2023, 12:24 am
Has thanked: 393 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » November 4th, 2023, 3:29 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 6:30 pm
shoresy wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 6:07 pm
I will say, the Hurd seems to be doing a decent job of getting out to women's sports this year (still not as good as it should be, but better than previous years), but their social media presence has gone from bad to abysmal. I despise the Show and would be embarrassed by them as a SDSU fan, but at least they post about their teams.

The last time the Hurd actually posted something (aside from retweets) on Twitter was March 11. Surely with all the paid positions they have on their "committee" they could find a marketing student who would run their social media.
They need to take some lessons from the Jungle at Idaho State. I have almost started following Idaho State athletics because the student section has a somewhat entertaining twitter account.
Same, whoever is running the Jungle account is hilarious, and they know their stuff too.
These users thanked the author ToastedFlakes52 for the post:
LarryTheAggie



User avatar
sstrasser
Posts: 367
Joined: January 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm
Location: West Jordan, UT
Has thanked: 1576 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by sstrasser » November 7th, 2023, 11:14 am

AggieIceCream05 wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 3:05 pm
It’s disappointing that we can consistently get 19,000 at the Mav, but we can’t fill the 10,000 + seat Spectrum. . .
I used to think like this, but then realized that there are several thousand fans that come to the Mav from outside of the Cache Valley, mostly Weber, Davis and Salt Lake Counties. And they don't come to basketball games because of the week day games, late starts and unreliable weather.
These users thanked the author sstrasser for the post:
Aggiefan33



User avatar
DreadPirateRoberts
Posts: 215
Joined: August 4th, 2019, 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by DreadPirateRoberts » November 7th, 2023, 12:56 pm

sstrasser wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 11:14 am
AggieIceCream05 wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 3:05 pm
It’s disappointing that we can consistently get 19,000 at the Mav, but we can’t fill the 10,000 + seat Spectrum. . .
I used to think like this, but then realized that there are several thousand fans that come to the Mav from outside of the Cache Valley, mostly Weber, Davis and Salt Lake Counties. And they don't come to basketball games because of the week day games, late starts and unreliable weather.
This is exactly why I have a hard time getting to some of the games at the Spectrum during the basketball season.
Last edited by DreadPirateRoberts on November 9th, 2023, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author DreadPirateRoberts for the post (total 2):
sstrasserAggiefan33


The Dread Pirate Roberts leaves no survivors.

User avatar
GUS
Posts: 3635
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 361 times
Been thanked: 722 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by GUS » November 7th, 2023, 1:06 pm

I think the students represented pretty well last night.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
aggies22



tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG
Posts: 1117
Joined: December 17th, 2013, 8:17 am
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by tipitup » November 7th, 2023, 1:24 pm

GUS wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 1:06 pm
I think the students represented pretty well last night.
the student filled almost 4 sections full!!! it was great!
These users thanked the author tipitup for the post:
aggies22



ToastedFlakes52
Posts: 272
Joined: January 16th, 2023, 12:24 am
Has thanked: 393 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » November 7th, 2023, 2:19 pm

Students represented very well. I was surprised when I saw the announced attendance was only about 5700, it felt like there were more fans there than games in previous years when the announced attendance was 7000-8000.



User avatar
shoresy
Posts: 1114
Joined: May 2nd, 2023, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 1101 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by shoresy » November 7th, 2023, 5:55 pm

I don't think there's much room for criticism when it comes to Hurd attendance, they've been pretty solid. I'd just like to see a bit more of a social media presence, especially considering how many people they give special benefits to that are more than capable of running it.



User avatar
Aggiefan33
Posts: 2232
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 627 times
Been thanked: 150 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by Aggiefan33 » November 8th, 2023, 12:03 pm

DreadPirateRoberts wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 12:56 pm
sstrasser wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 11:14 am
AggieIceCream05 wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 3:05 pm
It’s disappointing that we can consistently get 19,000 at the Mav, but we can’t fill the 10,000 + seat Spectrum. . .
I used to think like this, but then realized that there are several thousand fans that come to the Mav from outside of the Cache Valley, mostly Weber, Davis and Salt Lake Counties. And they don't come to basketball games because of the week day games, late starts and unreliable weather.
This is exactly why I have a hard time getting to some of the Spectrum during the basketball season.
20 year + season ticket holder. But with kids sports and things, it is difficult to make weekday games for basketball.


The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

AggiePT
Posts: 766
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Has thanked: 1950 times
Been thanked: 617 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by AggiePT » November 8th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
November 8th, 2023, 12:03 pm
DreadPirateRoberts wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 12:56 pm
sstrasser wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 11:14 am
AggieIceCream05 wrote:
November 3rd, 2023, 3:05 pm
It’s disappointing that we can consistently get 19,000 at the Mav, but we can’t fill the 10,000 + seat Spectrum. . .
I used to think like this, but then realized that there are several thousand fans that come to the Mav from outside of the Cache Valley, mostly Weber, Davis and Salt Lake Counties. And they don't come to basketball games because of the week day games, late starts and unreliable weather.
This is exactly why I have a hard time getting to some of the Spectrum during the basketball season.
20 year + season ticket holder. But with kids sports and things, it is difficult to make weekday games for basketball.
I swear it seems like every time my brothers and I drive down for a basketball game from Idaho it is a full on blizzard. Maybe we just have bad luck. :noidea: Still worth it every time.



gwaggie
Posts: 162
Joined: November 11th, 2022, 1:22 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by gwaggie » November 9th, 2023, 6:12 am

shoresy wrote:I don't think there's much room for criticism when it comes to Hurd attendance, they've been pretty solid. I'd just like to see a bit more of a social media presence, especially considering how many people they give special benefits to that are more than capable of running it.
Just wanted to add in as a committee member. Not directed at you Shoresy but at everyone from some comments I’ve read on this thread. The executive director receives a solid scholarship, which is fitting for the boards he also sits on and all the work he does outside of just the student section. There are two directors who receive a small stipend once per semester (it’s not very much, I was a director last year and the stipends combined were not even enough for a month of rent).

The other 25 of us are not paid and work on a completely volunteer basis. If you see us sitting down low it is because many of us are the first to get in line in the morning (myself included), and all of us are required to be there at least an hour before the student doors open (which is an hour fifteen before tip). We do not enter the spectrum before doors open anymore.

We have recognized the social media has been lacking a bit. It’s hard because we cannot give access to our social media to everyone because it’s hard to monitor that many people with login information and things have happened in years past. We discussed it in length in our meetings this week and have come up with some new goals and ideas to post earlier and more consistently about all events, 5-6 will now have access instead of just 2 which should make this much easier.

(While I’m here I do appreciate feedback that is given to us through the forum, please keep it coming. Ideas are always welcome, especially from some of you who have been around the Hurd for a long time. If you have a serious complaint about the Hurd, Tate Bennett (executive director) does have office hours in the tsc and would love to sit down with you)
These users thanked the author gwaggie for the post (total 5):
tovliAggiePTflying_scotsman2.0Aggies1888vegasaggie



User avatar
shoresy
Posts: 1114
Joined: May 2nd, 2023, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 1101 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by shoresy » November 9th, 2023, 7:56 am

gwaggie wrote:
shoresy wrote:I don't think there's much room for criticism when it comes to Hurd attendance, they've been pretty solid. I'd just like to see a bit more of a social media presence, especially considering how many people they give special benefits to that are more than capable of running it.
Just wanted to add in as a committee member. Not directed at you Shoresy but at everyone from some comments I’ve read on this thread. The executive director receives a solid scholarship, which is fitting for the boards he also sits on and all the work he does outside of just the student section. There are two directors who receive a small stipend once per semester (it’s not very much, I was a director last year and the stipends combined were not even enough for a month of rent).

The other 25 of us are not paid and work on a completely volunteer basis. If you see us sitting down low it is because many of us are the first to get in line in the morning (myself included), and all of us are required to be there at least an hour before the student doors open (which is an hour fifteen before tip). We do not enter the spectrum before doors open anymore.

We have recognized the social media has been lacking a bit. It’s hard because we cannot give access to our social media to everyone because it’s hard to monitor that many people with login information and things have happened in years past. We discussed it in length in our meetings this week and have come up with some new goals and ideas to post earlier and more consistently about all events, 5-6 will now have access instead of just 2 which should make this much easier.

(While I’m here I do appreciate feedback that is given to us through the forum, please keep it coming. Ideas are always welcome, especially from some of you who have been around the Hurd for a long time. If you have a serious complaint about the Hurd, Tate Bennett (executive director) does have office hours in the tsc and would love to sit down with you)
I appreciate the response and the information. And again, I really do think you guys are doing a good job, especially when it comes to giving focus to “non-major” sports.

It sounds like the structure must have changed a bit since I was in school 12 years ago, both in pay/scholarship and in benefits. I frankly always held a disdain for Hurd “leadership” because back then they were never the ones camping out and standing in line for tickets, and always the ones in the front row. So I’m extremely glad to hear that’s been fixed.
Last edited by shoresy on November 9th, 2023, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
Aggies1888



bpd
Posts: 2092
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 921 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by bpd » November 9th, 2023, 7:59 am

gwaggie wrote:
November 9th, 2023, 6:12 am
shoresy wrote:I don't think there's much room for criticism when it comes to Hurd attendance, they've been pretty solid. I'd just like to see a bit more of a social media presence, especially considering how many people they give special benefits to that are more than capable of running it.
Just wanted to add in as a committee member. Not directed at you Shoresy but at everyone from some comments I’ve read on this thread. The executive director receives a solid scholarship, which is fitting for the boards he also sits on and all the work he does outside of just the student section. There are two directors who receive a small stipend once per semester (it’s not very much, I was a director last year and the stipends combined were not even enough for a month of rent).

The other 25 of us are not paid and work on a completely volunteer basis. If you see us sitting down low it is because many of us are the first to get in line in the morning (myself included), and all of us are required to be there at least an hour before the student doors open (which is an hour fifteen before tip). We do not enter the spectrum before doors open anymore.

We have recognized the social media has been lacking a bit. It’s hard because we cannot give access to our social media to everyone because it’s hard to monitor that many people with login information and things have happened in years past. We discussed it in length in our meetings this week and have come up with some new goals and ideas to post earlier and more consistently about all events, 5-6 will now have access instead of just 2 which should make this much easier.

(While I’m here I do appreciate feedback that is given to us through the forum, please keep it coming. Ideas are always welcome, especially from some of you who have been around the Hurd for a long time. If you have a serious complaint about the Hurd, Tate Bennett (executive director) does have office hours in the tsc and would love to sit down with you)

Here is my suggestion. Drop the name tags. They are lame.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
Gidbobtrevordude



User avatar
tovli
Posts: 57
Joined: February 8th, 2023, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by tovli » November 9th, 2023, 8:12 am

gwaggie wrote:
November 9th, 2023, 6:12 am
shoresy wrote:I don't think there's much room for criticism when it comes to Hurd attendance, they've been pretty solid. I'd just like to see a bit more of a social media presence, especially considering how many people they give special benefits to that are more than capable of running it.
Just wanted to add in as a committee member. Not directed at you Shoresy but at everyone from some comments I’ve read on this thread. The executive director receives a solid scholarship, which is fitting for the boards he also sits on and all the work he does outside of just the student section. There are two directors who receive a small stipend once per semester (it’s not very much, I was a director last year and the stipends combined were not even enough for a month of rent).

The other 25 of us are not paid and work on a completely volunteer basis. If you see us sitting down low it is because many of us are the first to get in line in the morning (myself included), and all of us are required to be there at least an hour before the student doors open (which is an hour fifteen before tip). We do not enter the spectrum before doors open anymore.

We have recognized the social media has been lacking a bit. It’s hard because we cannot give access to our social media to everyone because it’s hard to monitor that many people with login information and things have happened in years past. We discussed it in length in our meetings this week and have come up with some new goals and ideas to post earlier and more consistently about all events, 5-6 will now have access instead of just 2 which should make this much easier.

(While I’m here I do appreciate feedback that is given to us through the forum, please keep it coming. Ideas are always welcome, especially from some of you who have been around the Hurd for a long time. If you have a serious complaint about the Hurd, Tate Bennett (executive director) does have office hours in the tsc and would love to sit down with you)
^^^ Good stuff! I would add that as a very recent graduated member of this committee they are very mindful of these criticisms and do sincerely care. I’ll be the first to tell you that no committee at USU is perfect but I found that the Hurd had the highest percentage of diehards per capita per club and the 99% of them do it just because they love the aggies. More of them actually do get there earliest to games and whatnot

In the same vein though, some of you come across as jaded about the actions of a student section that you once belonged to. Granted this is not your daddy’s Hurd that could do whatever it wanted. School affiliation has its benefits and drawbacks. But it’s also not yours or my Hurd anymore and the students are free to take it wherever they want. You might agree with some decisions you might not. Who cares who gets a stipend for the work they do? Nametags are a USUSA things across the board but who cares who wears a nametag to games? If you’re a current student with concerns go talk to Tate about it. But some of you need to relax and support one of the biggest assets we have at this school.
These users thanked the author tovli for the post (total 2):
Aggies1888sstrasser



theaggiegirl
Posts: 1
Joined: September 14th, 2023, 10:55 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: USU Herd. . .songs

Post by theaggiegirl » November 14th, 2023, 8:20 am

What song plays at the football games that sounds almost exactly like the Goose Steps High from Aristocats?




NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 23726
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 1434 times
Been thanked: 3338 times

Re: USU Herd. . .

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2023, 8:44 am

I don't know, but we should have our tuba players go around the stadium playing their songs again. That was a great time.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
theaggiegirlDreadPirateRoberts



Locked Previous topicNext topic