Sam Houston schedule - 4 non-D1 games

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
rAggie

Sam Houston schedule - 4 non-D1 games

Post by rAggie » December 7th, 2022, 11:17 am

Sam Houston had that big win over Utah and Oklahoma, and lost to Nevada and just picked up another loss...I saw they were one below us in the NET and look over at their quadrant wins and am like..."they're 3-0 against Non D1?" then I click in their schedule and see they have a fourth game coming up against a Non D1.

Seems pretty wild. I suppose it is the only way they can get home games, but their NET SOS is 6 and their RPI SOS is 15, whereas our NET SOS is 307 (and our RPI SOS is 26 which is some kind of anomaly).

Would you trade a higher SOS against hats in the mall teams on the road for having a bunch of Non D1 games at home?

Edit: I see Oral Roberts also has 4 non-D1 games, again the only way they can get games at home it seems. Their NET SOS is 1.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post:
aggies22

Showing my True Colors since 2022

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Sam Houston schedule - 4 non-D1 games

Post by ProvoAggie » December 7th, 2022, 11:20 am

The advantage to Non-D1 games is that the NCAA completely ignores them. They don't factor into SOS and they don't hurt your NET ranking. The downside is that your fans also don't care. I wouldn't mind if we could replace our Q4 games with Non-D1 games but you don't always know who those teams are gonna be. At the start of the year I wouldn't have guessed that Weber State would have been by far our worst opponent this year.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
aggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Sam Houston schedule - 4 non-D1 games

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 7th, 2022, 11:47 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 7th, 2022, 11:20 am
The advantage to Non-D1 games is that the NCAA completely ignores them. They don't factor into SOS and they don't hurt your NET ranking. The downside is that your fans also don't care. I wouldn't mind if we could replace our Q4 games with Non-D1 games but you don't always know who those teams are gonna be. At the start of the year I wouldn't have guessed that Weber State would have been by far our worst opponent this year.
Makes you wonder how good of a coach Rahe really was, or if the new coach just sucks. Honestly it just seems like a Stew/Duryea situation.

Locked Previous topicNext topic