USU Women's Bball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
treesap32

Re: USU Women's Bball

Post by treesap32 » January 27th, 2023, 1:12 pm

stang wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 12:17 pm
USU got up by 18 points last night midway through the second quarter, 33-15, then proceeded to score just 19 points and shoot 6-of-28 over the next 24 minutes.

Simply pathetic. It's not just coaching, it's coaching, talent, leadership, strategy, and overall lack of give a sh*t. Burn it to the ground and start over.

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » January 27th, 2023, 2:39 pm

stang wrote:
USU got up by 18 points last night midway through the second quarter, 33-15, then proceeded to score just 19 points and shoot 6-of-28 over the next 24 minutes.

Simply pathetic. It's not just coaching, it's coaching, talent, leadership, strategy, and overall lack of give a sh*t. Burn it to the ground and start over.
maybe, and this might sound crazy, but maybe, if Hartwell had used a firm to hire the coach like he did for hiring Ryan Odom, instead of just hiring his friend. We wouldn’t be in this situation.

But don’t worry, the team would like to use the excuse they were “ short handed” (9 or 10 players available…most coaches in division one have a rotation of only 9…). It is all around bad. What a wild collapse in that game; too. I knew Wyoming was more talented and historically has been quite tough to beat. But to build a lead like that and then just…what an utter collapse.

stang

Post by stang » January 28th, 2023, 3:46 pm

The ladies with a cool 38-point loss at home to New Mexico today, who, by the way, averages nearly as many fans at home per game as we’ve had at all of our games COMBINED this season.

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » January 28th, 2023, 3:52 pm

stang wrote:
January 28th, 2023, 3:46 pm
The ladies with a cool 38-point loss at home to New Mexico today, who, by the way, averages nearly as many fans at home per game as we’ve had at all of our games COMBINED this season.
Couldn’t really expect a different result. New Mexico is always an explosive offensive team, and if you can’t play defense, like we can’t, it will get ugly quickly.

And yep. They are the top mid major women’s basketball team with about 5000 fans/game

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 2nd, 2023, 5:46 pm

They lost again today. Not that it was likely at all they would beat Colorado State, but will they win another conference game? Feels unlikely…

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 2nd, 2023, 10:17 pm

aggie276 wrote:
January 27th, 2023, 2:39 pm
stang wrote:

maybe, and this might sound crazy, but maybe, if Hartwell had used a firm to hire the coach like he did for hiring Ryan Odom, instead of just hiring his friend. We wouldn’t be in this situation.
If Jim Laub cares about women's basketball, the coach he demanded we hire couldn't possibly be any worse.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 4th, 2023, 2:53 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 4th, 2023, 4:26 pm

44-17 at half but we managed to only lose by 5 after a bench clearing fist fight (somebody check the extinguishers)

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 4th, 2023, 4:52 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
February 4th, 2023, 4:26 pm
44-17 at half but we managed to only lose by 5 after a bench clearing fist fight (somebody check the extinguishers)

Helped that two of Nevada best players were ejected. I still don’t quite understand what caused it, why it escalated so much??

Also I saw a tweet from The Aggship that Prima Chellis, who has been one of the best players they’ve had this year, wasn’t there and when he asked the coach why/about it, she said “no comment.” That is bizzare to me.

ootek

Post by ootek » February 4th, 2023, 5:12 pm

aggie276 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Helped that two of Nevada best players were ejected. I still don’t quite understand what caused it, why it escalated so much??

Also I saw a tweet from The Aggship that Prima Chellis, who has been one of the best players they’ve had this year, wasn’t there and when he asked the coach why/about it, she said “no comment.” That is bizzare to me.
A Nevada and USU player tangled up boxing out for a rebound, and didn’t untangle long after the rebound, all the way to the ground. Then pushing started down there, and everyone rushed over

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 4th, 2023, 5:16 pm

ootek wrote:
February 4th, 2023, 5:12 pm
aggie276 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

A Nevada and USU player tangled up boxing out for a rebound, and didn’t untangle long after the rebound, all the way to the ground. Then pushing started down there, and everyone rushed over

Seems like more people should have been ejected. No one who isn’t checked into the game or the coaches is supposed to come off the bench…

Also Prima no longer listed on the online roster. Don’t know what happened, but that’s not only a big loss but would be the 3rd consecutive season at least where they’ve lost a player mid season. Would love to hear the explanations as to why that has happened because that is certainly concerning.

stang

Post by stang » February 4th, 2023, 10:32 pm

aggie276 wrote:
February 4th, 2023, 5:16 pm
ootek wrote:
aggie276 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Seems like more people should have been ejected. No one who isn’t checked into the game or the coaches is supposed to come off the bench…

Also Prima no longer listed on the online roster. Don’t know what happened, but that’s not only a big loss but would be the 3rd consecutive season at least where they’ve lost a player mid season. Would love to hear the explanations as to why that has happened because that is certainly concerning.
Prima was kicked off the team mid-game late in the Colorado State game over a spat she had with Coach Ard. If there wasn't enough evidence already that Ard has lost control beyond repair, we now add a few more instances of proof.

Just an absolute banner week for the program.

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 5th, 2023, 4:35 am

stang wrote:
February 4th, 2023, 10:32 pm
aggie276 wrote:
ootek wrote:
aggie276 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Prima was kicked off the team mid-game late in the Colorado State game over a spat she had with Coach Ard. If there wasn't enough evidence already that Ard has lost control beyond repair, we now add a few more instances of proof.

Wait WHAT? The coach kicked her off the team MID-GAME? that’s absolutely unacceptable. Did they try to leave her in Fort Collins too? jeesh... Yes. The coaching needs to be changed. This is no way to manage a program. I am very very sad for Prima, she was a talent and if I’m not mistaken this was her final year of eligibility.

Where did you find this out? The program is being so secretive. as they always are.

stang

Post by stang » February 5th, 2023, 9:08 am

aggie276 wrote:
stang wrote:
aggie276 wrote:
ootek wrote:
aggie276 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Wait WHAT? The coach kicked her off the team MID-GAME? that’s absolutely unacceptable. Did they try to leave her in Fort Collins too? jeesh... Yes. The coaching needs to be changed. This is no way to manage a program. I am very very sad for Prima, she was a talent and if I’m not mistaken this was her final year of eligibility.

Where did you find this out? The program is being so secretive. as they always are.
“No comment” is not an acceptable answer from a coach of a state funded school when asked why a player is no longer on their roster. I’d really like to see the Statesman or Aggship or HJ dig into this a little bit deeper. Something tells me Prima would be willing to talk.

The turnover in that program continues to be staggering. There’s only one common link to it all.

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 5th, 2023, 9:18 am

stang wrote:
February 5th, 2023, 9:08 am
aggie276 wrote:
stang wrote:
aggie276 wrote:
ootek wrote:
aggie276 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

“No comment” is not an acceptable answer from a coach of a state funded school when asked why a player is no longer on their roster. I’d really like to see the Statesman or Aggship or HJ dig into this a little bit deeper. Something tells me Prima would be willing to talk.

The turnover in that program continues to be staggering. There’s only one common link to it all.
Exactly. Someone needs to dig into this. It would be great to hear Primas side too. And there’s definitely one common link.

Also fwiw there’s definitely no excuse for no comment…I’ve seen at least Vanderbilt and Temple kick players off their WBB teams this season and while the program didn’t say a lot, they did say something. so it’s certainly not too much to ask.

coolag

Post by coolag » February 5th, 2023, 9:22 am

It's as if she is trying to get fired so she can collect that payout for sucking at her job. Poor coaches.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
aggie276

Regulator of Class

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 5th, 2023, 4:35 pm

I heard we beat the Granit HS girls JV team in an exhibition game, but then we turned around and lost to the Dugway Girls HS team. Oh well...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 5th, 2023, 9:48 pm

Did anyone (journalist) ever do digging/a story on the volume of transfers out last year? I feel like someone should have looked into that from a journalistic perspective so we could, you know, get the whole story. I see people being defensive about the program and it’s great that they want to support it, but it’s hard to ignore what happpened- including the recent situation with a player apparently getting kicked off the team mid-game. I would love to hear if a journalist has looked into the transfers issue and if not, it feels like someone should…

Fwiw Nevada Sports Net did this piece on Nevada women’s basketball a couple years back. https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/report ... basketball

Haven’t seen a piece like this on Utah State , but if someone knows if one I would love to read it. If not, feels like someone should.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » February 6th, 2023, 7:07 am

I wish we had someone like Chris Murray of Geoff Grammer covering USU. Heck I'd even take Mark Zeigler from San Diego even though I think he is a giant a-hole.
Times are tough at the ole Herald Journal and it shows........

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 6th, 2023, 7:17 am

GordoAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 7:07 am
I wish we had someone like Chris Murray of Geoff Grammer covering USU. Heck I'd even take Mark Zeigler from San Diego even though I think he is a giant a-hole.
Patrick Mayhorn over at The Aggship is actually doing a tremendous job. I've never seen this many quality articles about Women's Basketball at Utah State. Not even close. He's got great stuff on the Men's teams as well.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
BustaMcNutt

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » February 6th, 2023, 7:27 am

treesap32 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 7:17 am
GordoAggie wrote:
Patrick Mayhorn over at The Aggship is actually doing a tremendous job. I've never seen this many quality articles about Women's Basketball at Utah State. Not even close. He's got great stuff on the Men's teams as well.
I will check him out!

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » February 6th, 2023, 9:00 am

treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:
I wish aggship was a little more objective like Chris Murray.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 6th, 2023, 9:01 am

Aggie_Watch wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 9:00 am
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:
Murray is definitely the gold standard, but I'm curious why you think the Aggship isn't objective.

stang

Post by stang » February 6th, 2023, 9:39 am

treesap32 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 9:01 am
Aggie_Watch wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:
Murray is definitely the gold standard, but I'm curious why you think the Aggship isn't objective.
I think that Patrick does an outstanding job, and we're lucky to have someone who is as dedicated and talented as he is on the beat. As a one-man show, he's done far more coverage of the USU women's team than every other news outlet combined this season.

That said, I also feel he could be a bit more objective at times. He posted a rant yesterday about how people outside of the program shouldn't criticize the program's culture and not be so negative. About a 4-19 team that is dead last in the conference and has had mass player and staff exodus, both in and out of season, all three years under this coach. Yes, I'm going to be critical of the team's culture, I don't care how much the players love each other.

Imagine the fan upheaval if our men's team had ONE season as bad as any of the past 10 for the women's team.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Aggie_Watch

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 6th, 2023, 9:42 am

stang wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 9:39 am
treesap32 wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:
I think that Patrick does an outstanding job, and we're lucky to have someone who is as dedicated and talented as he is on the beat. As a one-man show, he's done far more coverage of the USU women's team than every other news outlet combined this season.

That said, I also feel he could be a bit more objective at times. He posted a rant yesterday about how people outside of the program shouldn't criticize the program's culture and not be so negative. About a 4-19 team that is dead last in the conference and has had mass player and staff exodus, both in and out of season, all three years under this coach. Yes, I'm going to be critical of the team's culture, I don't care how much the players love each other.

Imagine the fan upheaval if our men's team had ONE season as bad as any of the past 10 for the women's team.
Was that rant on twitter? I read the article about their last game and didn't see anything like that. I'd be interested in reading it.

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 6th, 2023, 9:51 am

stang wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:

Something to nosh on:

Lindy La Rocque began at UNLV the same year as Kayla Ard began here.

Their records so far?

La Rocque: 63-18
Ard: 19-58

I believe UNLV has had limited issues with transfers and also has an assistant who was an assistant for Kayla in her first year but left after that- not sure the reason. That might have been an assistant worth keeping around, but alas.

bpd

Post by bpd » February 6th, 2023, 10:04 am

aggie276 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 9:51 am
stang wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:

Something to nosh on:

Their records so far?

I believe UNLV has had limited issues with transfers and also has an assistant who was an assistant for Kayla in her first year but left after that- not sure the reason. That might have been an assistant worth keeping around, but alas.
I know Lindy. Lindy is a winner. She would never let that $hit happen on her watch. JH made one of his few bad hires.

QuackAttackAggie

USU Women's Bball

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 6th, 2023, 10:21 am

stang wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:

What he said was that people were being toxic by guessing at what is going on in the locker room without any knowledge. I think he's objective. He isn't even a usu fan.

ootek

Post by ootek » February 6th, 2023, 12:30 pm

I’m with Sap and Quack on this one. I feel like he’s very objective. And I love his coverage. I actually don’t subscribe (although it seems like it’s probably well worth it), but The Aggship is easily one of my favorite Twitter follows ever

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 6th, 2023, 1:02 pm

bpd wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 10:04 am
aggie276 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 9:51 am
stang wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
GordoAggie wrote:

Something to nosh on:

Their records so far?

I know Lindy. Lindy is a winner. She would never let that $hit happen on her watch. JH made one of his few bad hires.
She has an impressive resume- played at Stanford, was an assistant there. The type of resume that should have been what Hartwell looked for instead of hiring his friend.

I agree, she’s a winner. Can’t say I don’t wish she would get hired by a bigger name job so we wouldn’t have to compete with her teams 😅 but clearly it matters who you hire- not just their skill as a coach but as a culture builder- and she’s done both things well. The polar opposite of Ard.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » February 6th, 2023, 1:12 pm

How long is her contract?

Showing my True Colors since 2022

BigBlue97
Has thanked: 0

Post by BigBlue97 » February 6th, 2023, 1:30 pm

5 years and that's 5 years to long.
These users thanked the author BigBlue97 for the post:
Aggie_Watch

rAggie

Post by rAggie » February 6th, 2023, 1:37 pm

BigBlue97 wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 1:30 pm
Yeah, I just used the google and saw that, so after this year she'll have 2 years and $430k remaining, and USU would owe $322,500 to terminate for convenience, and I can't imagine the program being enough of a priority to warrant even that level of investment to buy out unless someone specifically came along and offered to pay the buyout.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

aggie276

Post by aggie276 » February 6th, 2023, 1:51 pm

rAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 1:37 pm
BigBlue97 wrote:
Yeah, I just used the google and saw that, so after this year she'll have 2 years and $430k remaining, and USU would owe $322,500 to terminate for convenience, and I can't imagine the program being enough of a priority to warrant even that level of investment to buy out unless someone specifically came along and offered to pay the buyout.
Maybe Hartwell can hire her at the new school he’s at.
These users thanked the author aggie276 for the post:
Aggie_Watch

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » February 6th, 2023, 1:57 pm

rAggie wrote:
February 6th, 2023, 1:37 pm
BigBlue97 wrote:
They found the money to give JH 750,000,
Pretty sure they can find the money to buy her out

Locked Previous topicNext topic