USU Women's Bball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
918AGG

USU Women's Bball

Post by 918AGG » November 10th, 2022, 1:40 pm

I watched the College of Idaho game last night, and for the first time in my life, I'm excited for USU Women's basketball.

Carvalho can score, pass, and rebound. Wahl has some size and is efficient down low.

I love that we were picked last in the MW. I *think* that 10 of the 14 players on our roster are newbies; I hope they have a chip on their shoulder.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 3):
ViAggieAggieFBObsessionakaggie

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

BigBlue97
Has thanked: 0

Re: USU Women's Bball

Post by BigBlue97 » November 10th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Let's pump the brakes on the women's basketball team. I hope they are better than they were last year but my gut tells me it is not going to be. Remember they beat a NAIA team in the college of Idaho. Something is not right up there. Every year she has been here she has had massive players leaving. That's a major to red flag to me.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 10th, 2022, 2:59 pm

BigBlue97 wrote:
November 10th, 2022, 2:36 pm
Let's pump the brakes on the women's basketball team. I hope they are better than they were last year but my gut tells me it is not going to be. Remember they beat a NAIA team in the college of Idaho. Something is not right up there. Every year she has been here she has had massive players leaving. That's a major to red flag to me.
Pump the brakes on optimism that we won't finish dead last?

I don't think we'll be world-beaters, but I'm optimistic that we can make some solid improvements. There's no real excuse for our WBB team to be so bad.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » November 10th, 2022, 3:08 pm

Problem is I believe that at least 50% of the roster is 5th year or seniors so will have another large turnover next year so if the team improves there will be no cohesion going into next year

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm

The problem is we hired a coach that had only ever been an assistant at a not great low major program. It was a terrible hire at the time and it is a terrible hire now.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post:
aggie276

garyismyhomeboy

Post by garyismyhomeboy » November 11th, 2022, 2:49 pm

USU WBB always has “a lot of new faces” The tradition under Jerry and now Kayla continues. We saw how that played out.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 11th, 2022, 4:57 pm

garyismyhomeboy wrote:
November 11th, 2022, 2:49 pm
USU WBB always has “a lot of new faces” The tradition under Jerry and now Kayla continues. We saw how that played out.
We don't have to accept mediocrity. Raegan Pebley started from absolutely nothing, and took the team to the NCAA tournament. Good athletic programs succeed in Football and Men's Basketball. Great athletic programs succeed across the board. Don't settle.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » November 12th, 2022, 12:01 am

LKGates wrote:
November 11th, 2022, 4:57 pm
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
We don't have to accept mediocrity. Raegan Pebley started from absolutely nothing, and took the team to the NCAA tournament. Good athletic programs succeed in Football and Men's Basketball. Great athletic programs succeed across the board. Don't settle.
I feel like volleyball and gymnastics should be the women's sports with the most attention. They offer stuff to fans that men's basketball doesn't. Women's basketball doesn't have as much to offer that men's basketball doesn't as those 2 sports.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 12th, 2022, 7:45 am

Gidbob wrote:
November 12th, 2022, 12:01 am
LKGates wrote:
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
I feel like volleyball and gymnastics should be the women's sports with the most attention. They offer stuff to fans that men's basketball doesn't. Women's basketball doesn't have as much to offer that men's basketball doesn't as those 2 sports.
maybe you don't watch women's basketball? It's a similar game, but IMO also enough different to see what it offers differently than men's. You can pay attention to whatever you want, but don't take other things from those who enjoy what you don't

coolag

Post by coolag » November 12th, 2022, 11:20 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
November 12th, 2022, 7:45 am
Gidbob wrote:
LKGates wrote:
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
maybe you don't watch women's basketball? It's a similar game, but IMO also enough different to see what it offers differently than men's. You can pay attention to whatever you want, but don't take other things from those who enjoy what you don't
It offers many more jump balls.

Regulator of Class

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » November 12th, 2022, 5:11 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
November 12th, 2022, 7:45 am
Gidbob wrote:
LKGates wrote:
garyismyhomeboy wrote:
How is saying that I think it make more sense to put focus on volley and gymnastics taking anything away from anyone? I'm not trying to stop anyone from watching women's basketball, just giving my perspective on what "should" be the main women's sports. Obviously if you can be good at all of them you should, but if you're splitting up limited resources between those 3, women's basketball would fall below volley and gymnastics in my pecking order.

stang

Post by stang » November 14th, 2022, 7:17 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm
The problem is we hired a coach that had only ever been an assistant at a not great low major program. It was a terrible hire at the time and it is a terrible hire now.
You're not wrong. While Hartwell made a whole lot of good hires, Ard was by far his worst. I know that USU with its women's basketball history isn't going to attract the *strongest* candidate pool, but we could have done a whole lot better than the interim coach from a terrible Denver program.

That hire was nothing but John hiring a close friend, and it's been a complete flop.

stang

Post by stang » November 14th, 2022, 7:22 pm

There is absolutely no reason why USU shouldn't be competitive in women's basketball. The MW is a TERRIBLE wbb league, and our program has as good of support and facilities as anyone in the conference. The fact that we've been at or near the bottom for a decade plus is pretty embarrassing.

I'm a huge fan of basketball at all levels, and I think the college women's game is a really great form of the sport. It would be a lot of fun to have a great or even good program, but our AD has long been okay with pushing it to the side and letting it rot.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 14th, 2022, 9:36 pm

If tweeting made you a better coach Ard would be geno auriemma. Unfortunately she's trying to mask her ineptness on game day.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
aggie276

Regulator of Class

stang

Post by stang » November 15th, 2022, 8:44 pm

So the ladies just lost by 40 to...wait for it...Utah Tech.

This program is a stain on the university that we all love. Just truly shameful.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 15th, 2022, 9:13 pm

stang wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 8:44 pm

This program is a stain on the university that we all love. Just truly shameful.
Do y’all remember when I was excited for the WBB season, so I started a WBB thread? Well, consider that excitement dead.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
AGinNEIowaaggies22

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 16th, 2022, 5:17 am

918AGG wrote:
November 15th, 2022, 9:13 pm
stang wrote:

Do y’all remember when I was excited for the WBB season, so I started a WBB thread? Well, consider that excitement dead.
9-20 2nd quarter with almost no attempts at offense within the 3 point circle resulted in me shutting down the game.

BigBlue97

Post by BigBlue97 » November 16th, 2022, 8:55 am

Remember when i said to pump the brakes after they beat the college of Idaho? Utah Techs second year in D1 basketball and they beat us by 38. I was the official scorekeeper for the women's team for 15 years from 2003-2018. I have seen some crappy basketball during this time. Pebley was ok she did lead us to one or two post season games, Finkbeiner was a disaster but Ard has taken it to a whole new level. She needs to be gone after this year. If the athletic department doesn't want to have a good and competitive program the keep her. I know of some high school coaches in Utah that would be better than her. There is a girl from Green Canyon that has committed to Wyoming. Why in the hell didn't we offer her. She is right in our own back yard. Its just a dumpster fire and its not going to get better.
These users thanked the author BigBlue97 for the post:
918AGG

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 16th, 2022, 9:12 am

BigBlue97 wrote:
November 16th, 2022, 8:55 am
Remember when i said to pump the brakes after they beat the college of Idaho? Utah Techs second year in D1 basketball and they beat us by 38. I was the official scorekeeper for the women's team for 15 years from 2003-2018. I have seen some crappy basketball during this time. Pebley was ok she did lead us to one or two post season games, Finkbeiner was a disaster but Ard has taken it to a whole new level. She needs to be gone after this year. If the athletic department doesn't want to have a good and competitive program the keep her. I know of some high school coaches in Utah that would be better than her. There is a girl from Green Canyon that has committed to Wyoming. Why in the hell didn't we offer her. She is right in our own back yard. Its just a dumpster fire and its not going to get better.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
HootOKAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm

BigBlue97 wrote:
I'm pretty sure the girl from Green Canyon was offered by Utah State.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » November 17th, 2022, 2:06 pm

stang wrote:

Isn't Ard a Hartwell toady? Is this deliberate payback?

Donman

Post by Donman » November 17th, 2022, 2:31 pm

She would be stupid to do that.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 17th, 2022, 2:41 pm

That sport is cursed in Logan.

Dang, we need another putz.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

stang

Post by stang » November 17th, 2022, 9:06 pm

USU78 wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 2:41 pm

I don't think it's cursed, I think we've had some absolutely horrendous coaches as of late. I honestly see no reason why we shouldn't be at least competitive in a really terrible MWC with a halfway decent hire.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 17th, 2022, 10:20 pm

stang wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 9:06 pm
USU78 wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 2:41 pm

I don't think it's cursed, I think we've had some absolutely horrendous coaches as of late. I honestly see no reason why we shouldn't be at least competitive in a really terrible MWC with a halfway decent hire.
Haven't had championship WBB in Logan since before the NCAA acquired the pre-existing women's sports and Mary Jo Peppler left town.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » November 18th, 2022, 9:05 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm
BigBlue97 wrote:
I'm sure the girl and her family had a first row seat to the dumpster fire. Probably wanted nothing to do with it.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 18th, 2022, 9:32 am

AggiePT wrote:
November 18th, 2022, 9:05 am
aggies22 wrote:
November 17th, 2022, 2:02 pm
BigBlue97 wrote:
I'm sure the girl and her family had a first row seat to the dumpster fire. Probably wanted nothing to do with it.
Maybe?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggiePT

stang

Post by stang » November 23rd, 2022, 5:06 pm

Watched some of today’s game, a 25-point loss to Ball State.

However bad you think this team is, it’s worse. Forget worst team in the MW, we very well may have the worst women’s basketball team in the country (RPI had us as 360 of 362 with the 357th ranked strength of schedule BEFORE today’s blowout loss).

stang

Post by stang » December 20th, 2022, 5:14 pm

Sweet mother of god
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
ViAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 20th, 2022, 5:26 pm

stang wrote:

Sweet mother of god
They had 4 after one quarter, so they actually played relatively* well after.

*relative to if we just didn't have women's basketball whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 20th, 2022, 5:28 pm

can't wait until we get rolled by Juilliard and the Curtis Institute of Music! Geeze!

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

stang

Post by stang » December 20th, 2022, 6:19 pm

So far this team has:

10 point loss to a Southland team
38 point loss to a WAC team
6 point loss to a Sun Belt team
25 point loss to a MAC team
31 point loss to a Pac-12 team
10 point loss to a WCC team
8 point loss to a WCC team
30 point loss to a Big Sky team

And narrow wins over Big Sky, WAC and NAIA teams.

What are we even doing here.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
ViAggie

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 20th, 2022, 6:24 pm

stang wrote:
December 20th, 2022, 6:19 pm
So far this team has:

I mean they did beat UVU, whose only win was against Northwest Nazarene University. They also beat Weber State which given the circumstances should be commended.
These users thanked the author LarryTheAggie for the post (total 2):
ViAggieAggieFBObsession

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 21st, 2022, 10:08 am

LarryTheAggie wrote:
December 20th, 2022, 6:24 pm
stang wrote:
December 20th, 2022, 6:19 pm
So far this team has:

I mean they did beat UVU, whose only win was against Northwest Nazarene University. They also beat Weber State which given the circumstances should be commended.
:golfclap:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » December 21st, 2022, 10:09 am

918AGG wrote:
November 10th, 2022, 1:40 pm
I watched the College of Idaho game last night, and for the first time in my life, I'm excited for USU Women's basketball.

Carvalho can score, pass, and rebound. Wahl has some size and is efficient down low.

I love that we were picked last in the MW. I *think* that 10 of the 14 players on our roster are newbies; I hope they have a chip on their shoulder.
When I covered the Aggies in antiquity, this was my favorite part of it besides football. Love my Aggies!
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
aggie276

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic