USU Women's Bball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
LarryTheAggie

Re: USU Women's Bball

Post by LarryTheAggie » March 10th, 2024, 10:29 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 10:12 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 10:00 pm
So the game is over. Is she fired yet?
She stated she would not be coaching next year in her post game interview today. Told the reporters that would be the last question and got up and walked off.
Wait, that really happened?

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » March 10th, 2024, 10:41 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 10:29 pm
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
She stated she would not be coaching next year in her post game interview today. Told the reporters that would be the last question and got up and walked off.
YES, you might be able to watch the interview on the mountain west app. They usually archive them the next day

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 10th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Chris Jones is my pick for the new WBB coach.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Aggie1990

Post by Aggie1990 » March 10th, 2024, 11:35 pm

I know we hate that school in Provo, but they have an assistant John Wardenburg who I personally know who i think could be a good fit as a dark horse type candidate. I don’t think he’s been a D1 head coach but was on SUUs mens staff prior to moving to the Provo school. It appears taking one of their softball assistants has helped our softball team so maybe taking another could help inject some life into the program.
These users thanked the author Aggie1990 for the post:
ViAggie

:utah: :state:

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 10th, 2024, 11:48 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
BJ Rains posted the clip. Someone asked how she plans to rebuild for next season. She said she won’t be because she has been informed she won’t be back by Diane. She says she hopes they find a great coach. Obviously trying to fight back emotions. The room is then silent. She then says “I assume that’s probably the last question?” When no one else says anything she then leaves.

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » March 10th, 2024, 11:49 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 10:41 pm
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
YES, you might be able to watch the interview on the mountain west app. They usually archive them the next day
Re-watched the video, just to clarify she said I’m assuming that will be the last question that left. Very awkward for all Involved.
These users thanked the author Aggie_Watch for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » March 10th, 2024, 11:52 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 11:49 pm
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Re-watched the video, just to clarify she said I’m assuming that will be the last question that left. Very awkward for all Involved.
She was very professional, said she respected Sabau's decision, and wished Utah State the best. Honestly, she handled the question as best anyone could. Hopefully she finds a soft landing spot.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 10th, 2024, 11:52 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2024, 12:02 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 11:52 pm
Aggie_Watch wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 11:49 pm
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
Aggie_Watch wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:
She was very professional, said she respected Sabau's decision, and wished Utah State the best. Honestly, she handled the question as best anyone could. Hopefully she finds a soft landing spot.
Yeah don't see anything wrong with how she handled it. How many more questions could there really be for the last place coach who just had another blowout loss and isn't coming back? She is probably as thrilled to be done as we are all thrilled to be done with her. She was clearly in way over her head and didn't know what she was doing. It wears on you to get blown out every game. Hopefully she'll find an assistant job that works for her.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » March 11th, 2024, 8:26 am

That was awkward, but if I was just fired I don't think it could've been handled any better
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAggie1984

Not sent from Tapatalk

Aggie1984

Post by Aggie1984 » March 11th, 2024, 8:49 am

trevordude wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 8:26 am
That was awkward, but if I was just fired I don't think it could've been handled any better
This is making national news. There has to be more to the story. I would think there were prior conversations, but who knows.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2024, 8:54 am

Aggie1984 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 8:49 am
trevordude wrote:
This is making national news. There has to be more to the story. I would think there were prior conversations, but who knows.
If this is a national story it is pretty silly. She was a bad coach who knew all year this would be her last. There was no surprise here.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie1984

Post by Aggie1984 » March 11th, 2024, 8:57 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 8:54 am
Aggie1984 wrote:
trevordude wrote:
If this is a national story it is pretty silly. She was a bad coach who knew all year this would be her last. There was no surprise here.
I guess when I say "National News" I mean in the sports world..

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 11th, 2024, 9:00 am

Aggie1984 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 8:57 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 8:54 am
Aggie1984 wrote:
trevordude wrote:
I guess when I say "National News" I mean in the sports world..
I know what you meant, still silly. A last place coach got fired after the season where she lost her last two games by 96 pts. Maybe it wasn't handled perfectly, but I have a hard time believing she was left in the dark about the consequences of this season before after the loss last night

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 11th, 2024, 9:03 am

Yeah, this was a surprise no nobody, least of all Coach Ard.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

thrashsoundly

Post by thrashsoundly » March 11th, 2024, 9:06 am

USU AD is getting lambasted on social media for firing Ard and sending her out to a presser. No one outside of the USU bubbles knows the back story, and folks are just filling in plot lines now. Social media warriors, do your thing to set the record straight.

Aggie1984

Post by Aggie1984 » March 11th, 2024, 9:10 am

thrashsoundly wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 9:06 am
USU AD is getting lambasted on social media for firing Ard and sending her out to a presser. No one outside of the USU bubbles knows the back story, and folks are just filling in plot lines now. Social media warriors, do your thing to set the record straight.
in going down the rabbit hole of info, I found where someone said she told the Boise coaches before the game, this was her last game with USU.

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » March 11th, 2024, 9:16 am

Obviously we are lacking details and hopefully we get a better understanding of the timeline of events.

Right now, it appears Diana sent out a recently fired coach to do a post game press conference, which is risky at best. Thankfully, Coach Ard handled it with class, but she could have gone scorched earth and threw Diana, the athletic department, and the university under the bus.

Maybe Ard was given the choice to do the presser, but it seems the better option would have been for Diana or Boveee to go out and face the media.
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post:
trevordude

lostaggiefan

Post by lostaggiefan » March 11th, 2024, 9:18 am

Especially since she had asked the administration to fire her earlier this season. Only reason they didn't is because she wouldn't agree to a lowered buyout and demanded the full payout. She gave up on the program months ago and created a toxic environment for all of the players and staff associated with the team. She's thrown anyone and everyone under the bus for a while now and taken incredibly little accountability of this whole situation. Anyone actually aware of what's been going on wouldn't care in the slightest about how she was let go.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if her saying she was "just fired" was little more than a 20-second passing conversation with Diana. A "thank you for your contributions and good luck in your next endeavor" type of deal. Again, she's been soft-fired for much of the season. It's a little naive to think that postgame yesterday was the first time she'd been told that was going to be it.
These users thanked the author lostaggiefan for the post (total 4):
trevordude3rdGenAggieAggiefan33aggies22

Aggie1984

Post by Aggie1984 » March 11th, 2024, 9:30 am

lostaggiefan wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 9:18 am
Especially since she had asked the administration to fire her earlier this season. Only reason they didn't is because she wouldn't agree to a lowered buyout and demanded the full payout. She gave up on the program months ago and created a toxic environment for all of the players and staff associated with the team. She's thrown anyone and everyone under the bus for a while now and taken incredibly little accountability of this whole situation. Anyone actually aware of what's been going on wouldn't care in the slightest about how she was let go.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if her saying she was "just fired" was little more than a 20-second passing conversation with Diana. A "thank you for your contributions and good luck in your next endeavor" type of deal. Again, she's been soft-fired for much of the season. It's a little naive to think that postgame yesterday was the first time she'd been told that was going to be it.
Honestly, her doing the presser and saying she was "just fired" seems a little passive aggressive. I would not be shocked if it was not all intentional on her part.
These users thanked the author Aggie1984 for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 11th, 2024, 10:30 am

Aggie1984 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 9:30 am
lostaggiefan wrote:

Honestly, her doing the presser and saying she was "just fired" seems a little passive aggressive. I would not be shocked if it was not all intentional on her part.
I have to agree with this, no way she is told shes fired before the game, at least not directly. No doubt she knew she was getting fired. Probably given the verbal after the game. If I knew I was getting fired before the game I would have bailed out to the locker room then back to my hotel room before the buzzer went off, I'd raiding the mini-fridge, this would be the last photo you'd have seen of me that night LOL

These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » March 11th, 2024, 11:06 am

5-25.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » March 11th, 2024, 11:21 am

Aggie1984 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 9:30 am
lostaggiefan wrote:

Yeah I just don’t think there’s any way she didn’t already know she was fired before this game? I really don’t buy the idea that Sabau causally dropped that on her between the final buzzer and her arrival at that press conference. But that’s kind of how she made it sound? That’s what the media is running with, unfortunately.these clips are all over Twitter. I agree with whoever said there might have been a bit of passive aggressive undertone from her.

Aggies1888

Post by Aggies1888 » March 11th, 2024, 11:42 am

To be fair, she's been bad enough, long enough, maybe she thought she had tenure and she'd never be fired...
These users thanked the author Aggies1888 for the post:
ViAggie

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » March 11th, 2024, 12:28 pm

She never says she "just got fired" (though BJ used that phrase in his tweet, no surprise there), she says she's "not going to be rebuilding. [She] just coached [her] last game at Utah State. [She] spoke with Dianna and they're going in a different direction and [she] respect(s) her decision and [she] hope(s) they get a really good coach in."

Anybody (social media) who thinks this was a surprise or that Sabau sprung this on her between the final buzzer and the press conference is mistaken. She shouldn't have been sent out for the press conference, but I think she handled it better than expected. Especially considering how bad she has handled the media previously.
These users thanked the author Zaggie07 for the post (total 3):
ViAggieAgliciousaggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 11th, 2024, 12:48 pm

Sounds like it is a nothing burger. I wouldn't care if it was a mean firing, Ard needed to go.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » March 11th, 2024, 3:28 pm

Aggie1990 wrote:
March 10th, 2024, 11:35 pm
I know we hate that school in Provo, but they have an assistant John Wardenburg who I personally know who i think could be a good fit as a dark horse type candidate. I don’t think he’s been a D1 head coach but was on SUUs mens staff prior to moving to the Provo school. It appears taking one of their softball assistants has helped our softball team so maybe taking another could help inject some life into the program.
I think if it is a Male coach, it helps to add an older guy, who has more of that Fatherly / Grandfather figure.

But I just looked this guy up, and it looks like he is 65 years old? Might be a little too old.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » March 11th, 2024, 3:33 pm

The more I look at John Wardenberg, at BYU, the more he could be a great hire. Maybe for a few years until he retires and passes it off to someone else.

Good resume.

Plus he is a USU alum (Master's Degree)

https://byucougars.com/sports/womens-ba ... rdenburg-1

Coaching Experience:

Southern Virginia University, Associate Head Coach, 2021-23
Southern Utah University, Associate Head Coach, 2016-21
Westlake High School, Assistant Coach, 2015-16
Indian Hills Community College, Head Coach, 2014-15
Indian Hills Community College, Assistant Coach 2011-14
BYU, Assistant Coach, 2001-10
Pine View (Utah) High School, Head Coach, 1999-2001
Dixie State College, Director of Athletics, 1997-1999
Dixie State College, Assistant Coach, 1993-97
Payson (Utah) High School, Head Coach, 1988-93
Pleasant Grove (Utah) High School, Assistant Coach, 1986-88

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » March 12th, 2024, 6:44 am

Man the way the twitter warriors are defending Kayla from that video clip because she was vague enough to paint herself as a victim in this situation is insane. When you’re objectively terrible at your job, you get fired. Do people not understand that? Is it true the athletic department is set to release an additional statement on the situation today? I think I read that somewhere.

Aggie1990

Post by Aggie1990 » March 12th, 2024, 7:51 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 3:33 pm
The more I look at John Wardenberg, at BYU, the more he could be a great hire. Maybe for a few years until he retires and passes it off to someone else.

Good resume.

Plus he is a USU alum (Master's Degree)

https://byucougars.com/sports/womens-ba ... rdenburg-1

Coaching Experience:

Southern Virginia University, Associate Head Coach, 2021-23
Southern Utah University, Associate Head Coach, 2016-21
Westlake High School, Assistant Coach, 2015-16
Indian Hills Community College, Head Coach, 2014-15
Indian Hills Community College, Assistant Coach 2011-14
BYU, Assistant Coach, 2001-10
Pine View (Utah) High School, Head Coach, 1999-2001
Dixie State College, Director of Athletics, 1997-1999
Dixie State College, Assistant Coach, 1993-97
Payson (Utah) High School, Head Coach, 1988-93
Pleasant Grove (Utah) High School, Assistant Coach, 1986-88
He has a solid resume, and is also a pretty good guy. He has coaching experience with men’s and women’s teams. My only question would be at his age would he want to take on the dumpster fire that our women’s program has become.

I thought when we had Funda we could be trending a good direction but Finkbeiner managed to struggle to keep talent, develop and finally just seemed to give up. Ard was arguably in over her head from day 1.

Aggie1984

Post by Aggie1984 » March 12th, 2024, 8:38 am

nelsentheaggie wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 6:44 am
Man the way the twitter warriors are defending Kayla from that video clip because she was vague enough to paint herself as a victim in this situation is insane. When you’re objectively terrible at your job, you get fired. Do people not understand that? Is it true the athletic department is set to release an additional statement on the situation today? I think I read that somewhere.
I hope they do release a statement. it's pretty sad when you have a current USU coach talking (I can't express myself without swearing) about the athletic department and the AD in regards to Sunday's events.

Aggie1990

Post by Aggie1990 » March 12th, 2024, 9:57 am

Aggie1984 wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 8:38 am
nelsentheaggie wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 6:44 am
I hope they do release a statement. it's pretty sad when you have a current USU coach talking (I can't express myself without swearing) about the athletic department and the AD in regards to Sunday's events.
Who’s saying that?

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » March 12th, 2024, 10:56 am

Don't indulge the pearl clutchers. It was a PR mishap to let her do a presser after getting canned, but nothing unethical or nefarious happened here. No one will remember this within a week.

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » March 12th, 2024, 12:02 pm

Hoot

Post by Hoot » March 12th, 2024, 2:55 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 12:02 pm
Random guy on Twitter saying it? I agree because it fits by narrative.

“My hypocrisy goes only so far.”

Locked Previous topicNext topic