USU Women's Bball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
918AGG

Re: USU Women's Bball

Post by 918AGG » November 10th, 2023, 3:12 pm

Aglicious wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 12:29 pm
I'm sorry, I just can't muster the will to have this much passion about WBB. I don't find it the least bit interesting or entertaining at any level. It's good I'm in no position to make decisions about the program because I would probably be looking for every way possible to drop it and replace it with something else.
Harder things to watch: golf and cross country (I honestly don't even know how to watch either).

I like WBB the least of: WBB, WSOC, WVB, Softball, and Gymnastics, but WBB popularity is growing, and one would think that a school like USU with such a rich MBB heritage could at least be somewhat competitive in WBB. We aren't even trying and haven't been for years. :rant:

I'm like shoresy; I'll watch any sport that represents USU (especially if it represents USU well). I'd honestly rather watch USU [insert team here] than watch a rich celebrity athlete half-(I can't express myself without swearing) it through the regular season (if they even show up).
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
LarryTheAggie

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 10th, 2023, 6:06 pm

918AGG wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 3:12 pm
Aglicious wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 12:29 pm
I'm sorry, I just can't muster the will to have this much passion about WBB. I don't find it the least bit interesting or entertaining at any level. It's good I'm in no position to make decisions about the program because I would probably be looking for every way possible to drop it and replace it with something else.
Harder things to watch: golf and cross country (I honestly don't even know how to watch either).

I like WBB the least of: WBB, WSOC, WVB, Softball, and Gymnastics, but WBB popularity is growing, and one would think that a school like USU with such a rich MBB heritage could at least be somewhat competitive in WBB. We aren't even trying and haven't been for years. :rant:

I'm like shoresy; I'll watch any sport that represents USU (especially if it represents USU well). I'd honestly rather watch USU [insert team here] than watch a rich celebrity athlete half-(I can't express myself without swearing) it through the regular season (if they even show up).
I agree with this. Except I won't watch Golf or cross country... I have to draw the line somewhere.
Last edited by LarryTheAggie on November 10th, 2023, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 10th, 2023, 6:54 pm

75-39 loss to EWU tonight. 7 points in the fourth quarter and 16 in the second half.

Pathetic.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

ToastedFlakes52

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » November 10th, 2023, 7:26 pm

rAggie wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 6:54 pm
75-39 loss to EWU tonight. 7 points in the fourth quarter and 16 in the second half.

Pathetic.
This is beyond embarrassing.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » November 10th, 2023, 7:48 pm

ToastedFlakes52 wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 7:26 pm
rAggie wrote:

Pathetic.
We can be the Mississippi Valley State of women's basketball

Not sent from Tapatalk

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 10th, 2023, 7:54 pm

Dug into the box score. 7 to 24 assist to turnover ratio which would be 3 to 22 for everyone on the team except Stubbs, who seems to be a solid player. 1 point off turnovers while EWU had 30.

Just looking at numbers it appears there is a mix of low skill and low effort. I’m guessing the root cause is low motivation.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 2):
trevordudeViAggie

Showing my True Colors since 2022

ToastedFlakes52

Post by ToastedFlakes52 » November 10th, 2023, 7:59 pm

trevordude wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 7:48 pm
ToastedFlakes52 wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Pathetic.
I think that's a little bit too high of a bar for this team :joking: :(

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » November 10th, 2023, 8:03 pm

Spectrum Tragic
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post (total 4):
Zaggie07LarryTheAggieaggies22918AGG

Not sent from Tapatalk

coolag

Post by coolag » November 10th, 2023, 8:42 pm

Thanks John

Regulator of Class

blueblood

Post by blueblood » November 10th, 2023, 8:44 pm

ToastedFlakes52 wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Pathetic.
With a new administration now in place, I say that Kayla doesn’t make it to February. This is really bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author blueblood for the post:
aggiefanintheeast

aggiefanintheeast

Post by aggiefanintheeast » November 10th, 2023, 9:12 pm

rAggie wrote:

Pathetic.
EWU is a solid team and fave in their conference but scoring 16 second half points and having an abysmal assist to turnover ratio is simply inexcusable.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » November 11th, 2023, 12:07 am

rAggie wrote:Dug into the box score. 7 to 24 assist to turnover ratio which would be 3 to 22 for everyone on the team except Stubbs, who seems to be a solid player. 1 point off turnovers while EWU had 30.

Just looking at numbers it appears there is a mix of low skill and low effort. I’m guessing the root cause is low motivation.
I watched, and truthfully, I don’t think low effort or low motivation were the problem. Just low skill and incredibly, incredibly poor coaching. Zero adjustments made at any point, and an offense so abysmal there should be arrests made. We have very few players who should even be sniffing D1 basketball.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
aggiefanintheeast

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » November 11th, 2023, 3:24 am

shoresy wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 12:07 am
rAggie wrote:Dug into the box score. 7 to 24 assist to turnover ratio which would be 3 to 22 for everyone on the team except Stubbs, who seems to be a solid player. 1 point off turnovers while EWU had 30.

I watched, and truthfully, I don’t think low effort or low motivation were the problem. Just low skill and incredibly, incredibly poor coaching. Zero adjustments made at any point, and an offense so abysmal there should be arrests made. We have very few players who should even be sniffing D1 basketball.
If they are playing for USU, given their record last year, they can’t be that great of players..

aggiefanintheeast

Post by aggiefanintheeast » November 11th, 2023, 7:33 am

shoresy wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 12:07 am

Should be fun going against the buzz saw that is the UNLV, CSU, and New Mexico offenses. and two of those teams are good defensively, also. How many did we score in the first half against UNLV last year? 8?
These users thanked the author aggiefanintheeast for the post:
Aggie_Watch

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » November 12th, 2023, 7:19 pm

trevordude wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 7:48 pm
ToastedFlakes52 wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Pathetic.
somehow, MS Valley St is actually worse than us in women’s basketball. However they have been unafraid so far: they’ve lost big to Utah and LSU. So, respectable to be willing to take on opponents of that caliber knowing you will lose by a gigantic margin.
These users thanked the author nelsentheaggie for the post:
trevordude

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » November 13th, 2023, 8:36 am

shoresy wrote:
November 10th, 2023, 1:48 pm
Aglicious wrote:I'm sorry, I just can't muster the will to have this much passion about WBB. I don't find it the least bit interesting or entertaining at any level. It's good I'm in no position to make decisions about the program because I would probably be looking for every way possible to drop it and replace it with something else.
And you would be incredibly foolish for doing so. Whether you personally care for it or not, it’s gaining huge momentum nationally and the schools that invest in it are going the schools that profit from it.
Genuinely curious, do you have any sources with statistics that back the claim that it's gaining momentum? I've seen more activity here on the board, and a couple of social media posts here and there, but haven't seen anything else to suggest an increase in momentum.

Aggies All the Way!

shoresy

Post by shoresy » November 13th, 2023, 9:36 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 8:36 am
shoresy wrote:
Aglicious wrote:I'm sorry, I just can't muster the will to have this much passion about WBB. I don't find it the least bit interesting or entertaining at any level. It's good I'm in no position to make decisions about the program because I would probably be looking for every way possible to drop it and replace it with something else.
And you would be incredibly foolish for doing so. Whether you personally care for it or not, it’s gaining huge momentum nationally and the schools that invest in it are going the schools that profit from it.
Genuinely curious, do you have any sources with statistics that back the claim that it's gaining momentum? I've seen more activity here on the board, and a couple of social media posts here and there, but haven't seen anything else to suggest an increase in momentum.
I know that TV ratings are not a perfect science, but by basically every estimation, college women's basketball on TV is shooing through the roof (or as Nielsen described it, growing at a meteoric pace). 9.9 million viewers for the championship game last season, and higher ratings across the board in both regular season and post-season. All while nearly every other sport is seeing TV ratings drop.

https://www.nielsen.com/insights/2023/w ... 0viewers1.
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/bask ... tournament
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/03/spor ... dness.html

Then you consider things like Iowa playing a scrimmage in front of 55,000 people and selling out of season tickets in a 15,000 seat arena. Or Angel Reese having a higher NIL valuation than Bo Nix, Michael Penix or Drake Maye. Or South Carolina averaging 13,000 fans per game. It would be silly not to get on the wave.

USU's program will never be at that point, but it could absolutely get to the point where it is a valuable, winning, money-making asset for our athletics department.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 4):
AGinNEIowadirtnsnowStanfordAggie918AGG

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » November 13th, 2023, 5:55 pm

shoresy wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 9:36 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
shoresy wrote:
I know that TV ratings are not a perfect science, but by basically every estimation, college women's basketball on TV is shooing through the roof (or as Nielsen described it, growing at a meteoric pace). 9.9 million viewers for the championship game last season, and higher ratings across the board in both regular season and post-season. All while nearly every other sport is seeing TV ratings drop.

Then you consider things like Iowa playing a scrimmage in front of 55,000 people and selling out of season tickets in a 15,000 seat arena. Or Angel Reese having a higher NIL valuation than Bo Nix, Michael Penix or Drake Maye. Or South Carolina averaging 13,000 fans per game. It would be silly not to get on the wave.

USU's program will never be at that point, but it could absolutely get to the point where it is a valuable, winning, money-making asset for our athletics department.
I can't argue with that, but I'm very perplexed as to why basketball of all women's sports is the one catching on. There are a ton of women's sports more enjoyable to me.

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » November 13th, 2023, 6:23 pm

Gidbob wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 5:55 pm
shoresy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
shoresy wrote:

I can't argue with that, but I'm very perplexed as to why basketball of all women's sports is the one catching on. There are a ton of women's sports more enjoyable to me.
I mean I think generally, if people like basketball, they have been drawn to some of the electric players on the women’s college basketball scene, most notably Caitlin Clark. It’s also just more common and prominent as a women’s sport than a lot of others- it’s easier to find a women’s basketball game on one of the ESPN channels than anything else. The only volleyball game I remember seeing on ESPN last season was the national championship.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » November 13th, 2023, 7:09 pm

nelsentheaggie wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 6:23 pm
Gidbob wrote:
shoresy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
shoresy wrote:

I mean I think generally, if people like basketball, they have been drawn to some of the electric players on the women’s college basketball scene, most notably Caitlin Clark. It’s also just more common and prominent as a women’s sport than a lot of others- it’s easier to find a women’s basketball game on one of the ESPN channels than anything else. The only volleyball game I remember seeing on ESPN last season was the national championship.
In my opinion, the growth is mostly because of two things:

1. Exposure - Games are actually being put on tv beyond just March Madness and top-5 matchups, and being talked about as well. Sports are just a ball moving up and down a field/court until you understand the storylines, stakes, intricacies of the sport, etc. National media outlets talking about the sport turns great players like Caitlin Clark, Aliyah Boston and Angel Reese into stars.

2. The game has improved - I'd bet a good chunk of people who "just can't get into women's basketball" probably haven't watched it in a while. The game is much, much more interesting now than even five or 10 years ago. The men's game is much further along in its evolution because there have been viable college and pro options for young men for much longer. The women's game is catching up, and the more little girls that grow up dreaming of playing college/pro basketball, the better women's basketball will continue to get. It's still not for everyone, that's cool if you're not into it. But you can't argue that the game hasn't gotten much, much better.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
nelsentheaggie

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » November 13th, 2023, 7:39 pm

I’m watching the boise state Weber game and I think there is a good chance we can win on Friday.
These users thanked the author Aggie_Watch for the post:
nelsentheaggie

providencealum

Post by providencealum » November 14th, 2023, 8:49 am

Gidbob wrote:
shoresy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
shoresy wrote:

A lot of it has to do with the team and players. I can enjoy watching Iowa play. Clark is doing things that the typical women player hasn't been able to do. If you are in the valley, I recommend going to watch a Ridgeline girls game. They are very entertaining to watch. With a new move in from SLC they will most likely now have 4 girls that will go on and play D1 basketball on the court at one time.

Gidbob

Post by Gidbob » November 14th, 2023, 8:53 am

providencealum wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 8:49 am
Gidbob wrote:
shoresy wrote:
dirtnsnow wrote:
shoresy wrote:

A lot of it has to do with the team and players. I can enjoy watching Iowa play. Clark is doing things that the typical women player hasn't been able to do. If you are in the valley, I recommend going to watch a Ridgeline girls game. They are very entertaining to watch. With a new move in from SLC they will most likely now have 4 girls that will go on and play D1 basketball on the court at one time.
A male grad student going to watch a girls HS game where he doesn't have any family members playing in said game seems weird. I know it doesn't have to be seen "that way", but fear that it would be keeps me from doing it.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2023, 9:21 am

I agree. That would be a creep show.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Gidbob

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » November 14th, 2023, 9:40 am

Aggie_Watch wrote:
November 13th, 2023, 7:39 pm
I’m watching the boise state Weber game and I think there is a good chance we can win on Friday.
Probably have a chance but don’t forget that Weber did beat that *powerhouse* Fort Lewis (jk Ft Lewis is actually a bad D2 team haha) and we didn’t. Guess we will find out!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 14th, 2023, 9:40 am

Just looking at who we've played, who has beaten us and the rest of the schedule and I don't see a winnable game left. Beat down by Northridge and E. Washington? Beaten at home by a DII school? Beyond embarrassing. Can we just FF the ybu game now and get it over with?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » November 14th, 2023, 9:51 am

ViAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 9:40 am
Just looking at who we've played, who has beaten us and the rest of the schedule and I don't see a winnable game left. Beat down by Northridge and E. Washington? Beaten at home by a DII school? Beyond embarrassing. Can we just FF the ybu game now and get it over with?
We do have two non div 1 games, that we are projected to win.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 14th, 2023, 12:59 pm

Aggie_Watch wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 9:51 am
ViAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 9:40 am
We do have two non div 1 games, that we are projected to win.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 2):
nelsentheaggietreesap32

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 14th, 2023, 8:23 pm

We won by two tonight at UMKC. They’re projected ninth out of nine in the summit league but a win is a win with this awful team.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
trevordudeViAggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 14th, 2023, 8:24 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 8:23 pm
We won by two tonight at UMKC. They’re projected ninth out of nine in the summit league but a win is a win with this awful team.
It's good to know that we might not be the worst team in the country.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 3):
trevordudeaggies22ViAggie

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » November 14th, 2023, 8:30 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2023, 8:23 pm
good for them. It’s not a good win but it’s a win. Kayla still ain’t the coach for this program, though. I dont think there is one team in the conference close to as bad as us based on the results I’ve seen so far, even with this win.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » November 14th, 2023, 8:30 pm

shoresy

Post by shoresy » November 15th, 2023, 9:59 am

I'm super, genuinely happy for the players. Losing takes a major toll on a team's mentality, and I think it's important to get a taste of winning early. Especially on the road like that.

That said, perspective is important, and UMKC is really, really bad. Fortunately, so is most of our non-conference schedule, and winning that game shows that we can definitely win a few more. Weber State is also quite terrible (finished 349 in RPI last year), so hopefully we can make it back-to-back on Friday.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post (total 2):
Aggie_WatchAggie formerly in Hawaii

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » November 15th, 2023, 2:21 pm

I watched the EWU game and literally thought to myself that I can coach better than this. I - very seriously - believe that I can coach better than Coach Ard. It's as if Ard has never seen a competent offensive set in her entire life.

Given the insane numbers at Iowa and South Carolina, perhaps the best move for this team going forward is to totally bottom out, drop the coach's salary to the minimum salary possible, and make this team a Washington Generals sort of a team that only goes on the road and only loses to vastly superior teams for a paycheck. We could be a revenue-generating team if we do that, as well.

Best idea: pay someone with some talent and invest in the program. WBB can be great in Logan.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

nelsentheaggie

Post by nelsentheaggie » November 16th, 2023, 9:01 am

BigBlue97 wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 3:29 pm
aggiefanintheeast wrote:
November 7th, 2023, 2:39 pm
anyone know who the wbb closed scrimmage was against? Apparently they did “quite well” in that scrimmage, whatever that means
Yes they scrimmaged College of Southern Idaho. My guess is they still lost but it may have been close. My cousin in law is the women's coach there. The lost in JUCO semifinals last year and are currently 3-0. I talked to him last year when he was in Cache Valley scouting and he would love to coach the lady aggies.
Colorado State just picked up a transfer from College of Southern Idaho. She’s from Utah. Our instate recruiting is abysmal under Kayla. Wyoming currently has a freshman from Logan who chose them over Utah State.
These users thanked the author nelsentheaggie for the post:
ViAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic