USU Women's Bball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
greggers1868

Re: USU Women's Bball

Post by greggers1868 » March 27th, 2024, 8:57 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 5:55 pm
rAggie wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 5:04 pm
I'm worried that between Diana's family issue right now and the men's search, this hire is taking a back seat, and that makes me very sad.
Par for the course for this program for its entire existence. Nobody gives a sh*t about Utah State women's basketball because nobody in the administration gives a sh*t about Utah State women's basketball.

I understand Diana has other things going on in her life, and that is tragic, but she has many capable people around her who could run this search if she is not able.
I continue to have my big blue donations going to the womens hoops program, and have faith it’s going to get better. Firmly have my blue goggles on. We’re going to get this right!! 🤞

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » March 27th, 2024, 9:25 pm

shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:
I'm worried that between Diana's family issue right now and the men's search, this hire is taking a back seat, and that makes me very sad.
Par for the course for this program for its entire existence. Nobody gives a sh*t about Utah State women's basketball because nobody in the administration gives a sh*t about Utah State women's basketball.

I understand Diana has other things going on in her life, and that is tragic, but she has many capable people around her who could run this search if she is not able.
Agree. We actually got rid of women's basketball for 17 years, the only Division I school I believe that didn't have it. We only re-instated the program because we got in the WAC and it was a required sport. So we had a team but, that was about it.

For a head coach we could look at the Montana State women's coach she used to be an assistant at USU.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » March 28th, 2024, 9:37 am

Per 22, New coach to be announced Monday at press conference.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 28th, 2024, 10:07 am

NavyBlue wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:25 pm
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Agree. We actually got rid of women's basketball for 17 years, the only Division I school I believe that didn't have it. We only re-instated the program because we got in the WAC and it was a required sport. So we had a team but, that was about it.

For a head coach we could look at the Montana State women's coach she used to be an assistant at USU.
Montana State has been good to us, so why not?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

shoresy
Has thanked: 0

Post by shoresy » March 28th, 2024, 10:29 am

ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I agree that would be a great hire, but she is not leaving Montana State. She’s turned down bigger jobs than Utah State in the past.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 28th, 2024, 2:26 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 10:29 am
ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I agree that would be a great hire, but she is not leaving Montana State. She’s turned down bigger jobs than Utah State in the past.
Boo! Then who is it? Funny we "know" who the Mens coach is but not the Women's coach??? Hmm :headscratch:

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 28th, 2024, 2:33 pm

ViAggie wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:26 pm
shoresy wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

Boo! Then who is it? Funny we "know" who the Mens coach is but not the Women's coach??? Hmm :headscratch:
I really haven't heard much that's concrete, outside of a very preliminary list about a week back. It seems like people are being pretty tight lipped with both searches.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 28th, 2024, 2:34 pm

ViAggie wrote:
shoresy wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

It’s been asked of both Brian Phillips and Patrick Mayhorn(Aggship) today and Twitter, and both seem to think it’s the Ohio state assistant. Can’t remember his name off the top of my head.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 28th, 2024, 3:07 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:34 pm
ViAggie wrote:
shoresy wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

It’s been asked of both Brian Phillips and Patrick Mayhorn(Aggship) today and Twitter, and both seem to think it’s the Ohio state assistant. Can’t remember his name off the top of my head.
Interesting, so no local coaches? Hmmm....

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 28th, 2024, 4:35 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
shoresy wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I'd be somewhat surprised if this is the case

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » March 28th, 2024, 5:00 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 4:35 pm
greggers1868 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
shoresy wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
NavyBlue wrote:
shoresy wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I'd be somewhat surprised if this is the case
Aggship said Wesley Brooks from Ohio state

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 28th, 2024, 7:46 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:25 am
greggers1868 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 5:26 pm
shoresy wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 10:53 am
According to this site, we have three players currently in the portal. Tiairra Hill-Brown, Bridget Mullings and Macy Smith. I've heard of a fourth, but it must not be official quite yet.

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2 ... untainWest
This is usually the person I follow for women’s basketball transfer portal news. On Twitter he’s @raoul
He’s a pretty good follow of you care about this sort of thing

https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-t ... 023-24/12/
Thanks for the tip, I've checked that site a few times before.

I do hope the AD is showing urgency with this hire and not letting the fact that the men's job just opened delay anything. It feels very important to get a new HC in here quickly to start making contacts in the portal while there is still talent there.
So Raoul is showing five players in the portal right now for the Aggies. In addition to Hill-Brown and Macy Smith, Skye Miller, Bridget Mullings, and Lauren Crocker

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 29th, 2024, 9:25 am

If Wesley Brooks is the hire that is nothing short of a grand slam.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Aggie_Watch

Post by Aggie_Watch » March 29th, 2024, 10:58 am

rAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 9:25 am
He certainly has his work cut out for him in meeting the achievements and standards set by the previous coach.😂😂😂

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 11:30 am

rAggie wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 9:25 am
I agree. I've heard a few other names that I think would be similarly great as well.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 29th, 2024, 11:30 am

I think the posters on the main board are onto something, DS is hell bent on hiring people from Ohio.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 29th, 2024, 12:00 pm

greggers1868 wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 7:46 pm
shoresy wrote:
March 26th, 2024, 10:25 am
greggers1868 wrote:
March 25th, 2024, 5:26 pm
shoresy wrote:
March 22nd, 2024, 10:53 am
According to this site, we have three players currently in the portal. Tiairra Hill-Brown, Bridget Mullings and Macy Smith. I've heard of a fourth, but it must not be official quite yet.

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/2 ... untainWest
This is usually the person I follow for women’s basketball transfer portal news. On Twitter he’s @raoul
He’s a pretty good follow of you care about this sort of thing

https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-t ... 023-24/12/
Thanks for the tip, I've checked that site a few times before.

I do hope the AD is showing urgency with this hire and not letting the fact that the men's job just opened delay anything. It feels very important to get a new HC in here quickly to start making contacts in the portal while there is still talent there.
So Raoul is showing five players in the portal right now for the Aggies. In addition to Hill-Brown and Macy Smith, Skye Miller, Bridget Mullings, and Lauren Crocker
Interesting. Crocker was a strange case. She didn't play at all to start the year, then had a handful of really solid games. I thought she showed more promise than most of our players. Then, she kinda just disappeared from the lineup.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » March 31st, 2024, 11:54 am

Unlike MBB, this has to be a hard sell. The chances of succeeding are very slim and then you lose your career. They really need to find a Gary 1.0 but I'm not sure they can. A Charlie Weatherbie type is probably our best hope.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 31st, 2024, 3:06 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
March 31st, 2024, 11:54 am
Unlike MBB, this has to be a hard sell. The chances of succeeding are very slim and then you lose your career. They really need to find a Gary 1.0 but I'm not sure they can. A Charlie Weatherbie type is probably our best hope.
I disagree. The women's team has everything they need to succeed, our administration just hasn't cared about it enough to actually do enough work and research to find the right coach. Yes, it will take some rebuilding, but there's not a single reason they shouldn't be able to compete in the league. And if you're a decent coach, you could stay here making six figures with zero stress of job security for decades.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » March 31st, 2024, 4:23 pm

I think Wesley Brooks is the hire (a friend said he saw Brooks with Sabau at the country club on Friday, Brooks has liked a couple of my women's basketball tweets about him, etc...) and I'd bet the over on season wins for next year no matter what the total is.

The ingredients for success are in place here, it just takes administrative commitment to the program, which Diana has. I also hope that they'll consider moving the games to the Estes Center so they can start to build some semblance of a home court advantage. If they can pack 1,500 fans in there and make the place loud like volleyball does, we could get momentum on something really nice up here.
These users thanked the author rAggie for the post (total 3):
ViAggievegasaggietreesap32

Showing my True Colors since 2022

shoresy

Post by shoresy » March 31st, 2024, 4:46 pm

rAggie wrote:I think Wesley Brooks is the hire (a friend said he saw Brooks with Sabau at the country club on Friday, Brooks has liked a couple of my women's basketball tweets about him, etc...) and I'd bet the over on season wins for next year no matter what the total is.

The ingredients for success are in place here, it just takes administrative commitment to the program, which Diana has. I also hope that they'll consider moving the games to the Estes Center so they can start to build some semblance of a home court advantage. If they can pack 1,500 fans in there and make the place loud like volleyball does, we could get momentum on something really nice up here.
I would be very happy with Brooks, and I can confirm that he was in town.

But, if the job were his, I think he’d already have it. I believe there’s a candidate they were waiting on who they are extremely high on. And if it’s who I think, the wait is worth jt
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
greggers1868

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 31st, 2024, 9:25 pm

shoresy wrote:
March 31st, 2024, 4:46 pm
rAggie wrote:I think Wesley Brooks is the hire (a friend said he saw Brooks with Sabau at the country club on Friday, Brooks has liked a couple of my women's basketball tweets about him, etc...) and I'd bet the over on season wins for next year no matter what the total is.

But, if the job were his, I think he’d already have it. I believe there’s a candidate they were waiting on who they are extremely high on. And if it’s who I think, the wait is worth jt
Geno Aurellema (sp) is coming out of retirement and wants a challenge?

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » March 31st, 2024, 9:35 pm

shoresy wrote:

Hmmm, well Kenny Brooks already left Virginia Tech for Kentucky so I guess he’s out 🤔

NEAggie

Post by NEAggie » March 31st, 2024, 9:48 pm

Coloraggie wrote:
March 31st, 2024, 9:25 pm
shoresy wrote:

Geno Aurellema (sp) is coming out of retirement and wants a challenge?
Except Geno Auriemma isn’t retired and has the UCONN women in another elite eight in his 39th year at the school.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » April 1st, 2024, 1:25 pm

Tennessee coach just got fired!!! shoot for the Moon!! only a couple million buyout!!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 1st, 2024, 3:17 pm

tipitup wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 1:25 pm
Tennessee coach just got fired!!! shoot for the Moon!! only a couple million buyout!!
I was just coming here to post that as well.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 1st, 2024, 3:18 pm

tipitup wrote:
Isn't it the exact opposite? If she was fired, there is no buy-out. In fact, UT is on the hook to continue paying her salary, unless she was fired "for cause". Kind of like when Matt Wells was a consultant at Oklahoma, being paid by the remainder of his Texas Tech contract. OU got him for free. If we landed Kellie Harper, we could get her for basically nothing.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieViAggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

greggers1868

Post by greggers1868 » April 1st, 2024, 3:34 pm

LKGates wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 3:18 pm
tipitup wrote:
Isn't it the exact opposite? If she was fired, there is no buy-out. In fact, UT is on the hook to continue paying her salary, unless she was fired "for cause". Kind of like when Matt Wells was a consultant at Oklahoma, being paid by the remainder of his Texas Tech contract. OU got him for free. If we landed Kellie Harper, we could get her for basically nothing.
People are basically shocked that she’s been fired. Honestly, would surprise me to see her head due east to Blacksburg as VT just lost their coach to Kentucky. But it’s worth a call, right?

TrueAggieman

Post by TrueAggieman » April 1st, 2024, 5:32 pm

Looks like Brooks is the guy!

Seems like a solid hire :rock:
These users thanked the author TrueAggieman for the post:
greggers1868

Utah State Hey Aggies all the way! Go Aggies! Go Aggies! Hey! Hey! Hey!

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » April 1st, 2024, 6:02 pm

Very impressive resume, stops at big programs, experience living and training in Utah. Excited what he can build as a head coach.
These users thanked the author trevordude for the post:
greggers1868

Not sent from Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic