Smu nil

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
slcagg
Posts: 12011
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 3408 times
Been thanked: 2834 times

Smu nil

Post by slcagg » August 9th, 2022, 6:45 am

$36k per year for football and basketball players

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... utType=amp



dirtnsnow
Posts: 807
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by dirtnsnow » August 9th, 2022, 7:01 am

This isn't nil, in my opinion. They don't even know the names of the players yet. This is a deal between the boosters and the school, not individual players.


Aggies All the Way!

jpswensen
Posts: 2029
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 380 times
Contact:

Re: Smu nil

Post by jpswensen » August 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm

When does Title IX start shutting this down a la the USWNT because there isn't parity between men's and women's sports. It is one thing if it is negotiated directly with the players, but it is another thing if the university is brokering the deal and steering the money to bball and fball only.

Note: I am a filthy capitalist, so understand that in a sane society the money goes where there is revenue, but also don't see how they are skirting laws like Title IX.


"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson

User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 20403
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 3206 times
Been thanked: 1529 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2022, 8:53 pm

SMU... figures, seems like they've done this before (now it's just "legal")


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4380
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 11th, 2022, 10:23 am

jpswensen wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm
When does Title IX start shutting this down a la the USWNT because there isn't parity between men's and women's sports. It is one thing if it is negotiated directly with the players, but it is another thing if the university is brokering the deal and steering the money to bball and fball only.

Note: I am a filthy capitalist, so understand that in a sane society the money goes where there is revenue, but also don't see how they are skirting laws like Title IX.
BYU proved with it's brokered deal with Built Bar that this will pass Title IX. Not sure whether that will be seen as good precedent, or if a threshold of schools doing this will eventually prompt action. :noidea: Either way, I hope that while it's being allowed that USU is working towards something along these lines.



dirtnsnow
Posts: 807
Joined: August 26th, 2011, 11:54 pm
Has thanked: 169 times
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by dirtnsnow » August 11th, 2022, 10:36 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 10:23 am
jpswensen wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm
When does Title IX start shutting this down a la the USWNT because there isn't parity between men's and women's sports. It is one thing if it is negotiated directly with the players, but it is another thing if the university is brokering the deal and steering the money to bball and fball only.

Note: I am a filthy capitalist, so understand that in a sane society the money goes where there is revenue, but also don't see how they are skirting laws like Title IX.
BYU proved with it's brokered deal with Built Bar that this will pass Title IX. Not sure whether that will be seen as good precedent, or if a threshold of schools doing this will eventually prompt action. :noidea: Either way, I hope that while it's being allowed that USU is working towards something along these lines.
Last I read, they were being investigated for that very deal. Anyone know what came out of the investigation?

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234650215/


Aggies All the Way!

FromLItoLogan
Posts: 234
Joined: March 3rd, 2014, 7:52 pm
Location: Logan, Utah
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by FromLItoLogan » August 11th, 2022, 3:12 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 10:23 am
jpswensen wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm
When does Title IX start shutting this down a la the USWNT because there isn't parity between men's and women's sports. It is one thing if it is negotiated directly with the players, but it is another thing if the university is brokering the deal and steering the money to bball and fball only.

Note: I am a filthy capitalist, so understand that in a sane society the money goes where there is revenue, but also don't see how they are skirting laws like Title IX.
BYU proved with it's brokered deal with Built Bar that this will pass Title IX. Not sure whether that will be seen as good precedent, or if a threshold of schools doing this will eventually prompt action. :noidea: Either way, I hope that while it's being allowed that USU is working towards something along these lines.
Maybe see if Cache Valley Electric or Schreiber's would do a similar deal for a lot less money, I'm thinking like $3-5, enough to cover tuition for walkons. Of course, Schreiber's is based in green bay but UW-Madison is too far away and we've got 2 factories in the valley, that's gotta count for something.



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4380
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 220 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 12th, 2022, 2:09 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 10:36 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:
August 11th, 2022, 10:23 am
jpswensen wrote:
August 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm
When does Title IX start shutting this down a la the USWNT because there isn't parity between men's and women's sports. It is one thing if it is negotiated directly with the players, but it is another thing if the university is brokering the deal and steering the money to bball and fball only.

Note: I am a filthy capitalist, so understand that in a sane society the money goes where there is revenue, but also don't see how they are skirting laws like Title IX.
BYU proved with it's brokered deal with Built Bar that this will pass Title IX. Not sure whether that will be seen as good precedent, or if a threshold of schools doing this will eventually prompt action. :noidea: Either way, I hope that while it's being allowed that USU is working towards something along these lines.
Last I read, they were being investigated for that very deal. Anyone know what came out of the investigation?

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234650215/
I believe that story is the very definition of "swept under the rug."
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
dirtnsnow



Imakeitrain
Posts: 11130
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 530 times
Been thanked: 1071 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by Imakeitrain » August 13th, 2022, 11:04 am

Have they gotten away with Title IX? It isn't going to be enforced by the NCAA. It's going to be enforced by some feminist suing the schools/NCAA.



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 16641
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: Sonora, MX
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 1295 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 13th, 2022, 2:00 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:Have they gotten away with Title IX? It isn't going to be enforced by the NCAA. It's going to be enforced by some feminist suing the schools/NCAA.
Because it doesn't apply. NIL is an agreement on the individual level offered by somebody outside the university.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Imakeitrain
Posts: 11130
Joined: March 11th, 2011, 9:12 pm
Has thanked: 530 times
Been thanked: 1071 times

Re: Smu nil

Post by Imakeitrain » August 13th, 2022, 9:33 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
August 13th, 2022, 2:00 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:Have they gotten away with Title IX? It isn't going to be enforced by the NCAA. It's going to be enforced by some feminist suing the schools/NCAA.
Because it doesn't apply. NIL is an agreement on the individual level offered by somebody outside the university.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yet the University is brokering some of them and they aren’t obtaining the same result for the womens team. Title ix requires that the level of resources and when a business is partnering with the university, organizations
If the university is acting as a broker, does that then make
Title ix an issue.

I don’t know that there is a title ix violation but I do think a womens team will eventually sue over a brokered deal. But i don’t suspect it would be BYU or Miami. It’s for. Court to determine.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic