8 Man Football

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

8 Man Football

Post by Yossarian » May 29th, 2022, 2:25 pm

Is this a thing in Utah, too?

https://www.si.com/college/arkansas/hog ... n-lake-aaa

Arkansas is losing traditional foitball programs with many schools putting for the 8- man teams. Football participation in that state is losing popularity quickly. One league they say is down to just two teams.

CTE and other health concerns are cited and other sports offered as options are reasons given. I'm sure this will only spread to other states. How does this affect college programs?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Donman

Re: 8 Man Football

Post by Donman » May 29th, 2022, 4:03 pm

I don't believe so.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 30th, 2022, 6:39 am

California has a lot of 8 man programs, many a "storied" program have dropped to 8 man but it's mostly small private schools. I noticed in Texas that they even had 6 man FB teams. They do love them some FB in Texas and will find a way to even get the smallest of small schools playing the sport.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » May 31st, 2022, 7:19 am

Nevada still has 8 man. When I was in high school there, it was designed for schools with less than 100 kids in grades 9 -12. We were one of the bigger schools in what was then known as the "B" league (AAA was the largest classification there) with 90-ish students. We moved to 11-man my senior year after Nevada reclassified all of the schools. That only lasted a few years.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 2):
aggies22ViAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 31st, 2022, 7:58 am

Did you live in Alamo?

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » June 2nd, 2022, 11:54 am

I played 8 man football at my high school in Montana. I really enjoyed it.
These users thanked the author NavyBlue for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 2nd, 2022, 4:02 pm

NavyBlue wrote:
June 2nd, 2022, 11:54 am
I played 8 man football at my high school in Montana. I really enjoyed it.
Did you guy have crazy scores like 58-56? I've noticed that 8 man games have these crazy high scores a lot of the time.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 5th, 2022, 5:09 pm

Donman wrote:
May 29th, 2022, 4:03 pm
I don't believe so.

It starts this fall with a few schools, smaller ones.

https://6park.news/utah/8-man-prep-foot ... -jobs.html
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 6th, 2022, 3:08 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 5:09 pm
Donman wrote:
May 29th, 2022, 4:03 pm
I don't believe so.

It starts this fall with a few schools, smaller ones.

https://6park.news/utah/8-man-prep-foot ... -jobs.html
Those schools should try and schedule an away game against these guys, they are looking for about 6 more teams to play:

https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/malibu/mali ... /schedule/

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 12th, 2022, 2:32 pm

You are all talking about small schools having to play 8 man football because they don't have big enrollment to draw from.

The article I posted is talking about large schools (3 and 4 A schools) in football crazy Arkansas not having enough kids wanting to play football so they have to play in 8-man leagues. CTE concerns is stated as the reason for the drop in participation rate. The question the article asks is this becoming a trend nationwide?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 18th, 2022, 7:16 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 12th, 2022, 2:32 pm
You are all talking about small schools having to play 8 man football because they don't have big enrollment to draw from.

The article I posted is talking about large schools (3 and 4 A schools) in football crazy Arkansas not having enough kids wanting to play football so they have to play in 8-man leagues. CTE concerns is stated as the reason for the drop in participation rate. The question the article asks is this becoming a trend nationwide?
Yeah it is scary that the woke left has now come for football and is getting their way in a patriotic state like Arkansas. I mean we expect this type of thing in commie California, but Arkansas? Say it ain't so.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
ViAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 18th, 2022, 8:14 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 7:16 pm
Yossarian wrote:

Yeah it is scary that the woke left has now come for football and is getting their way in a patriotic state like Arkansas. I mean we expect this type of thing in commie California, but Arkansas? Say it ain't so.
?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 18th, 2022, 8:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 8:14 pm
Yossarian wrote:

?
Who do you blame most for the war on football?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 18th, 2022, 9:00 pm

June 18th, 2022, 8:24 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

?
I'm still trying to figure out who said there is a war on football. Because I'm not aware of such a war, I'm not able to say who is responsible.

Having a family member severely debilitated with CTE which, we presume to been caused by multiple concussions in high school played back in an era where one was expected to just play through such injuries. I have seen how devastating these injuries can be first hand.

The reason i posted the link is to highlight that many people are starting to consider their long term health and forego playing football. It isn't a war, it is people increasingly making this decision. So much so that large schools do not have enough participants to pay traditional 11 man football. That's all. I didn't read anything political in the story. Maybe I didn't comprehend something you read in the article. I see nothing wrong with kids and their parents thinking of long term health and short term safety in their decisions.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 18th, 2022, 9:17 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 18th, 2022, 9:00 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

?
I'm still trying to figure out who said there is a war on football. Because I'm not aware of such a war, I'm not able to say who is responsible.

Having a family member severely debilitated with CTE which, we presume to been caused by multiple concussions in high school played back in an era where one was expected to just play through such injuries. I have seen how devastating these injuries can be first hand.

The reason i posted the link is to highlight that many people are starting to consider their long term health and forego playing football. It isn't a war, it is people increasingly making this decision. So much so that large schools do not have enough participants to pay traditional 11 man football. That's all. I didn't read anything political in the story. Maybe I didn't comprehend something you read in the article. I see nothing wrong with kids and their parents thinking of long term health and short term safety in their decisions.
Who said there was a war on football? Well the great National Review writer Daniel J Flynn, author of the 2002 classic "Why the Left Hates America" detailed the war on football in his excellent book:

It is sad you woke lefties have penetrated Arkansas, but I tell you we won't let you bring your sissy 8 man football into Texas.
ViAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 18th, 2022, 9:24 pm

June 18th, 2022, 9:17 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

?

Who said there was a war on football? Well the great National Review writer Daniel J Flynn, author of the 2002 classic "Why the Left Hates America" detailed the war on football in his excellent book:

It is sad you woke lefties have penetrated Arkansas, but I tell you we won't let you bring your sissy 8 man football into Texas.
K

Eutaw St. Aggie

Stucki

Post by Stucki » June 20th, 2022, 9:48 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

?

Texas apparently prefers 6 man football.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 21st, 2022, 8:58 am

A whole lot of the 1A schools in Utah did 8-man back in the day.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 21st, 2022, 5:58 pm

Stucki wrote:
June 20th, 2022, 9:48 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

?

I once stopped at a gas station in a small town outside of Odessa and they had a banner on the gas station proclaiming their HS had won the 6 man championship. I looked around and noticed there was nothing else in that town besides a handful of ranches, the gas station and small school. I go inside and start chatting up the cashier, turns out the gas station was also town hall around back. It and the school were the only non-residential buildings in town. I forgot the name but it was pretty interesting to see this small "town" with one school be the 6 man state champs. I bet it was kind of exciting for them, well that and getting their first stop sign in town.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
StuckiAggie formerly in Hawaiiaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 21st, 2022, 8:32 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2022, 5:58 pm
Stucki wrote:
June 20th, 2022, 9:48 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

?

I once stopped at a gas station in a small town outside of Odessa and they had a banner on the gas station proclaiming their HS had won the 6 man championship. I looked around and noticed there was nothing else in that town besides a handful of ranches, the gas station and small school. I go inside and start chatting up the cashier, turns out the gas station was also town hall around back. It and the school were the only non-residential buildings in town. I forgot the name but it was pretty interesting to see this small "town" with one school be the 6 man state champs. I bet it was kind of exciting for them, well that and getting their first stop sign in town.
That is a great aspect of sports. The small town rallying around their team as their biggest source of pride and entertainment.
ViAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic