MWC T&F championships

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
USUMAE

MWC T&F championships

Post by USUMAE » May 13th, 2022, 10:48 am

The MW track championships are on day 3 of four.

The men’s team is third and the women’s team hasn’t scored.

Caden Dupee scored 6744 points in the decathlon for sixth place, Cameron Todd and Caleb Garcia placed 2nd and 6th respectively in the 10k.

Emma Thornley placed sixth in the 10k.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post:
cdaAg

ootek

Re: MWC T&F championships

Post by ootek » May 13th, 2022, 12:14 pm

USUMAE wrote:The MW track championships are on day 3 of four.

Caden Dupee scored 6744 points in the decathlon for sixth place, Cameron Todd and Caleb Garcia placed 2nd and 6th respectively in the 10k.

T&F Conference championship time brings back a lot of memories. A special time for those guys. You cheer for your teammates’ individual success all year long, but it’s really the one meet where the team scores mean something, so it’s extra special.
I remember standing in one spot in the infield to cheer on our 800M runner on the backstretch, and then running across the infield towards the home stretch to continue cheering him on as he dove across the finish line to win. We won the championship by like 42 points that day, which felt great because Boise State had beat us by like 2 in the indoor championships earlier that year with a few shady things happening.
These users thanked the author ootek for the post (total 3):
USUMAEaggies22cdaAg

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » May 13th, 2022, 12:39 pm

ootek wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 12:14 pm

T&F Conference championship time brings back a lot of memories. A special time for those guys. You cheer for your teammates’ individual success all year long, but it’s really the one meet where the team scores mean something, so it’s extra special.
I remember standing in one spot in the infield to cheer on our 800M runner on the backstretch, and then running across the infield towards the home stretch to continue cheering him on as he dove across the finish line to win. We won the championship by like 42 points that day, which felt great because Boise State had beat us by like 2 in the indoor championships earlier that year with a few shady things happening.
Those are awesome memories! I didn’t run in college, I was too slow, but I cherish those memories in high school.

What shady things happened?

ootek

Post by ootek » May 14th, 2022, 2:05 pm

USUMAE wrote:
ootek wrote:
May 13th, 2022, 12:14 pm

Those are awesome memories! I didn’t run in college, I was too slow, but I cherish those memories in high school.

What shady things happened?
The meet took place at Boise State.
Some University of Idaho shot putters (this was back in the WAC days) had OKed their wrist tape jobs while checking in for the shot put, and then once like three of them had placed in the top 8, which all scores points for their team, someone back later and DQed them, which bumped some Boise State guys up in the placings to score points.
Then a Boise State hurdler completely false started in the finals. To the point that the crowd gasped and the kid hung his head disappointedly and walked back to put his sweats on. But the official told him he was fine and that it was a restart because “his blocks slipped”. They didn’t; he just took off early. Even if they did slip, it would have been because he took off, not because he was holding motionless in the “set” position. He was completely baffled himself. He placed like top three on the restarted race that he should have been DQed from.
Then there was something with one of our best high jumpers where he had to leave for a raving event (extremely common, as you know), but the official there told him he’d scratch the event if he misses his turn. Luckily he wasn’t a freshman and knew that was not right and let a coach know, who very loudly lit up the official from the stands and he was allowed to jump, but the attempt to scratch him was really bizarre.
This didn’t effect the men’s score, obviously, but they had a really good women’s long jumper who very clearly fouled a really good jump. Everyone in the stands gave the “ooooo, too bad because that was a really good jump” groan, but the official watching the board tilted her head to the side a bit to look at the girl’s jumping coach, who responded with a pleading head nod, and the official gave the “mark” white flag to be measured and counted.
It was frustrating because losing by two is a razor thin margin, and any one of the two tainted men’s events would have given us the win.
But man, did we take it out on them in the outdoor championships at Fresno.

Locked Previous topicNext topic