Gymnastics...

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
LKGates

Gymnastics...

Post by LKGates » January 8th, 2022, 9:35 pm

...had a huge opener at the "Best of Utah" meet, with the U, BYU, and SUU. The state has, historically, incredible gymnastics programs. USU placed second, behind U of U, with a school record 195.875 for an opening meet. Rebecca Wells won the all around, beating out Utah's Olympic medalist. Freshman Brie Clark won the floor event with a huge 9.925.

Football and men's basketball are the lynchpins of any university athletic program, but as I keep saying, great programs win in ALL sports. John Hartwell has done a phenomenal job building up all the programs in the department. You personally may not care that much, but this is the kind of thing that may make the critical difference in an invitation to a P5 conference, if the opportunity ever presents itself.

Go AGGIES! :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 8):
3rdGenAggieAggie19AggieFBObsessionsam tingeyflying_scotsman2.0aggies22trevordudevegasaggie

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: Gymnastics...

Post by ProvoAggie » January 8th, 2022, 9:37 pm

I haven't ever been to a gymnastics meet but my kids have been wanting to go to one so I'm going to take them to cheer on the Aggies in Provo.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 5):
AggieFBObsessionLKGatessam tingeyflying_scotsman2.0aggies22

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 9th, 2022, 9:37 am

Took my kids a few decades ago. It was when the first great big blue burst on the scene. The guy that went to be the Denver nuggets mascot.

Anyway, he wore a pink tu tu and did a balance beam routine falling on the beam in a spread eagle split and then slowly fell off the side.

Kids still remember that experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 9th, 2022, 10:17 am

Went to all the gym meets in the mid 1990s. Of course part of it was because I had a thing for one of the team members and I got to know her in a class we both took (even went out several times...but I was a dumbass and messed that up...). But anyway, the meets were a lot of fun and the team was pretty successful back then. I'd highly recommend going to the meets, especially if you have younger kids.

stang

Post by stang » January 10th, 2022, 1:00 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 8th, 2022, 9:35 pm

Football and men's basketball are the lynchpins of any university athletic program, but as I keep saying, great programs win in ALL sports. John Hartwell has done a phenomenal job building up all the programs in the department. You personally may not care that much, but this is the kind of thing that may make the critical difference in an invitation to a P5 conference, if the opportunity ever presents itself.
If that's the case, we may never have a great program until we disband the women's basketball team :lol:

But seriously though, I totally agree. And beyond just being important for image, it's a whole lot of fun to have teams in "non-major" sports to support that are competitive. We haven't had a whole lot of that the past few decades at USU, so seeing gymnastics, soccer, volleyball, etc. all taking off these past few years has been awesome.

And yes, gymnastics meets are incredible. One of my very favorite spectator sports.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 10th, 2022, 2:31 pm

stang wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 1:00 pm
LKGates wrote:

If that's the case, we may never have a great program until we disband the women's basketball team :lol:

But seriously though, I totally agree. And beyond just being important for image, it's a whole lot of fun to have teams in "non-major" sports to support that are competitive. We haven't had a whole lot of that the past few decades at USU, so seeing gymnastics, soccer, volleyball, etc. all taking off these past few years has been awesome.

And yes, gymnastics meets are incredible. One of my very favorite spectator sports.
Women's basketball isn't a lost cause, although I'm starting to question if we have the right people right now. Raegan Pebley took the program from zero (there hadn't been a women's basketball program for a few years when she took over) to 2nd place in the WAC her last year, and WNIT appearances in both of her two last years. The last ten years at USU have taught us, you can have success here, if you bring in the right people.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 10th, 2022, 8:11 pm

I think I saw on twitter that the team was ranked 11th.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
USU78

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 10th, 2022, 8:18 pm

GUS wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 8:11 pm
I think I saw on twitter that the team was ranked 11th.
Yep, currently ranked 11th.

https://roadtonationals.com/results/tea ... rd/2022/70

stang

Post by stang » January 10th, 2022, 8:28 pm

LKGates wrote:
stang wrote:
LKGates wrote:

Women's basketball isn't a lost cause, although I'm starting to question if we have the right people right now. Raegan Pebley took the program from zero (there hadn't been a women's basketball program for a few years when she took over) to 2nd place in the WAC her last year, and WNIT appearances in both of her two last years. The last ten years at USU have taught us, you can have success here, if you bring in the right people.
I don’t know, friend. I guess I wouldn’t classify them as a “lost cause”, but in the 32 year history of the program, they’ve had

1 20+ win season
11 winning seasons
12 seasons with single-digit wins
0 conference championships

You’re right that Pebley found a little bit of success in year 9, but overall that program has been an embarrassment and a scourge to the USU name.

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

stang

Post by stang » January 10th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Love seeing gymnastics ranked #11 in the latest poll, they’ve really started to turn into a powerhouse! It seems that a lot of the contributors are young and could still have a few years in the program, too
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Aggie19

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 11th, 2022, 12:44 am

stang wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 8:28 pm
LKGates wrote:
stang wrote:
LKGates wrote:

I don’t know, friend. I guess I wouldn’t classify them as a “lost cause”, but in the 32 year history of the program, they’ve had

1 20+ win season
11 winning seasons
12 seasons with single-digit wins
0 conference championships

You’re right that Pebley found a little bit of success in year 9, but overall that program has been an embarrassment and a scourge to the USU name.

Sorry, not trying to thread jack.
Eh. One could have said the same thing about the football team until 2011. I refuse to give up. And more importantly, I don't think John Hartwell is going to give up.

And yes, it is way cool that the gymnastics team is ranked 11th. Highest ranking ever for the team.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » January 11th, 2022, 8:20 am

11th is great, but keep in mind, there are still maybe about 12 teams that haven't competed yet, and the score they have now would be 23rd during the final week of last season. Still a great accomplishment, but they'll have to continue to improve throughout the year.
These users thanked the author sancho839 for the post:
Aggiefan33

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 11th, 2022, 8:24 am

LKGates wrote:...had a huge opener at the "Best of Utah" meet, with the U, BYU, and SUU. The state has, historically, incredible gymnastics programs. USU placed second, behind U of U, with a school record 195.875 for an opening meet. Rebecca Wells won the all around, beating out Utah's Olympic medalist. Freshman Brie Clark won the floor event with a huge 9.925.

This type of thing will have no bearing on an invite to a P5 conference.

Doesn’t mean it’s not still cool.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 11th, 2022, 9:36 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
January 9th, 2022, 10:17 am
Went to all the gym meets in the mid 1990s. Of course part of it was because I had a thing for one of the team members and I got to know her in a class we both took (even went out several times...but I was a dumbass and messed that up...). But anyway, the meets were a lot of fun and the team was pretty successful back then. I'd highly recommend going to the meets, especially if you have younger kids.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Formerly TulsAGGIE

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 11th, 2022, 10:25 am

2004AG wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 8:24 am
LKGates wrote:...had a huge opener at the "Best of Utah" meet, with the U, BYU, and SUU. The state has, historically, incredible gymnastics programs. USU placed second, behind U of U, with a school record 195.875 for an opening meet. Rebecca Wells won the all around, beating out Utah's Olympic medalist. Freshman Brie Clark won the floor event with a huge 9.925.

I think it does. It would be a small consideration, but a strong athletics department overall would be a consideration. Just like academics would be a consideration. Sure, 90% of the consideration is if you have a good football program that would bring in money, but the other stuff is still considered.

CONSIDER.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 11th, 2022, 10:45 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I think it does. It would be a small consideration, but a strong athletics department overall would be a consideration. Just like academics would be a consideration. Sure, 90% of the consideration is if you have a good football program that would bring in money, but the other stuff is still considered.

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 11th, 2022, 11:07 am

2004AG wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 10:45 am
2004AG wrote:

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 11th, 2022, 11:15 am

2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

Why is me saying gymnastics has nothing to do with conferences affiliation make you think I think I’m a bad (I can't express myself without swearing)?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 11th, 2022, 11:54 am

2004AG wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 11:15 am
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

Why is me saying gymnastics has nothing to do with conferences affiliation make you think I think I’m a bad (I can't express myself without swearing)?

Only bad***es get to share their opinions as categorical fact without providing an explanation or justification while simultaneously crushing the opinions of others.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 11th, 2022, 11:57 am

January 11th, 2022, 11:54 am
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

Only bad***es get to share their opinions as categorical fact without providing an explanation or justification while simultaneously crushing the opinions of others.
Nuh-uh, not true.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggies All the Way!

2004AG

Gymnastics...

Post by 2004AG » January 11th, 2022, 12:22 pm

2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

In all the years of conference realignment and potential realignment, have you ever heard gymnastics being mentioned as a consideration ?

I haven’t. I have heard Market size, athletic budget, mens basketball, fan support, location, historical success in the money sports, academics ,potential for growth etc. being mentioned as factors. Never have I heard of gymnastics. Have you ?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 11th, 2022, 1:06 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 12:22 pm
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:
2004AG wrote:

CONSIDER.
No it’s not.

In all the years of conference realignment and potential realignment, have you ever heard gymnastics being mentioned as a consideration ?

I haven’t. I have heard Market size, athletic budget, mens basketball, fan support, location, historical success in the money sports, academics ,potential for growth etc. being mentioned as factors. Never have I heard of gymnastics. Have you ?

No, you're definitely right. Nobody is going to say, "Oh man, Utah State has a top 10 gymnastics program, we need them in our conference." But I think it contributes to the strength of the athletic department as a whole, which I do believe is a factor, just as much as academics is a factor. Obviously, money is the main factor and that's driven mostly by football, hence why Boise is always in the conversation despite having nothing else going for them.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » January 11th, 2022, 3:39 pm

The B12 report about possible expansion candidates that was release showed that a school's overall athletic success was considered, but it is not a determining factor. Football is the determining factor. While Boise has the (now undeserved) reputation for football, everything else is substantially lacking, which is why they are likely a long way off on receiving a P5 invite unless there is a wholesale implosion of the P5 system.

I would not be surprised to see another round of shifting in the next couple of years and USU is currently on pace to be more favorably considered however that plays out. If USU can continue its football trend of the past decade with slight improvement in basketball (mostly meaning some NCAA tourney wins) and staying at least stable with the success of the non-revenue sports, I think USU is at least mentioned as a possibility and not outright dismissed. Expanding the football stadium and doing something about the Spectrum would really help USU as well. One other helpful factor is that neither of the other two schools in Utah have enough influence to keep USU out if a conference wants to extend an invitation. But I'm not holding my breath on any of this.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
USU78

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 11th, 2022, 7:29 pm

2004AG wrote:

I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous straw man argument. Taken to it's logical conclusion, you would argue that the ONLY thing that counts is football. That clearly is not the case, or Boise State would have been in a P5 conference ten years ago. Football is certainly necessary, but it isn't sufficient. As stated above, there are always other considerations. The PAC-12 and Big 10, unless things change dramatically, will never take a school of the academic stature of Boise State. Those conferences still care about academics. Am I saying that academics alone will get a school into a P5? Of course not, no one is saying that. But other factors, including academics, market size, and the success of non-revenue sports do come into play if two otherwise roughly equal football schools are being evaluated. Does anyone single out gymnastics? Of course not. Again, stop putting up straw men. Don't be obtuse. But success in gymnastics contributes to the total in the category of "success in non-revenue sports". No one has ever said "we should take them because of their tennis program", or volleyball, or soccer. But it does enter into the discussion when you can say "hey, all their non-revenue sports are regularly qualifying for their respective NCAA tournaments". :roll:

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 11th, 2022, 7:59 pm

LKGates wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 7:29 pm
2004AG wrote:

I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous straw man argument. Taken to it's logical conclusion, you would argue that the ONLY thing that counts is football. That clearly is not the case, or Boise State would have been in a P5 conference ten years ago. Football is certainly necessary, but it isn't sufficient. As stated above, there are always other considerations. The PAC-12 and Big 10, unless things change dramatically, will never take a school of the academic stature of Boise State. Those conferences still care about academics. Am I saying that academics alone will get a school into a P5? Of course not, no one is saying that. But other factors, including academics, market size, and the success of non-revenue sports do come into play if two otherwise roughly equal football schools are being evaluated. Does anyone single out gymnastics? Of course not. Again, stop putting up straw men. Don't be obtuse. But success in gymnastics contributes to the total in the category of "success in non-revenue sports". No one has ever said "we should take them because of their tennis program", or volleyball, or soccer. But it does enter into the discussion when you can say "hey, all their non-revenue sports are regularly qualifying for their respective NCAA tournaments". :roll:
Nowhere did I say the ONLY thing that counts is football. My argument is gymnastics isn't in the top 100 things that matter when it comes to conference affiliation realignment.

Your exact quote was "...........this is the kind of thing that may make the critical difference in an invitation to a P5 conference"

No, gymnastics (and all non revenue sports) is not the kind of thing that is critical for our potential invitation to a P5 conference. Its fun to be good in the non revenue sports for sure. But nobody gets invited to a conference based on anything other than academics, football, basketball, tv sets, market size, etc.

I'm thrilled we are ranked #11, but we need a hundred other factors to improve to be considered for a P5 conference.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » January 12th, 2022, 8:45 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 9:36 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
January 9th, 2022, 10:17 am
Sadly, I never made it to be used as the apparatus.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 12th, 2022, 6:45 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 7:59 pm
LKGates wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Nowhere did I say the ONLY thing that counts is football. My argument is gymnastics isn't in the top 100 things that matter when it comes to conference affiliation realignment.

Your exact quote was "...........this is the kind of thing that may make the critical difference in an invitation to a P5 conference"

No, gymnastics (and all non revenue sports) is not the kind of thing that is critical for our potential invitation to a P5 conference. Its fun to be good in the non revenue sports for sure. But nobody gets invited to a conference based on anything other than academics, football, basketball, tv sets, market size, etc.

I'm thrilled we are ranked #11, but we need a hundred other factors to improve to be considered for a P5 conference.
You know, it's usually a good thing to think before hitting send, which I should have done here.
Upon further reflection, I think I overstated my original case, and I over-reacted to your legitimate criticism. I was out of line.
I apologize.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
2004AG

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 13th, 2022, 8:00 am

LKGates wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 6:45 pm
2004AG wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 7:59 pm
LKGates wrote:
2004AG wrote:

You know, it's usually a good thing to think before hitting send, which I should have done here.
Upon further reflection, I think I overstated my original case, and I over-reacted to your legitimate criticism. I was out of line.
I apologize.
Wow. Somebody changed their mind in an online argument. Now I've seen it all.

Aggies All the Way!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 13th, 2022, 10:08 am

I went to a few gymnastics meets at USU and won't ever forget them. Totally fun and entertaining and so much happening at once that I was never once bored. Mrs. 918AGG also went and loved it.

If I lived in the area, I'd go to as many meets as possible.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 13th, 2022, 10:33 pm

918AGG wrote:I went to a few gymnastics meets at USU and won't ever forget them. Totally fun and entertaining and so much happening at once that I was never once bored. Mrs. 918AGG also went and loved it.

Unless it was a tri or quad meet only on thing was happening at a time, except warm ups.

Hail Aggies!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » January 14th, 2022, 10:31 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 10:33 pm
918AGG wrote:I went to a few gymnastics meets at USU and won't ever forget them. Totally fun and entertaining and so much happening at once that I was never once bored. Mrs. 918AGG also went and loved it.

Unless it was a tri or quad meet only on thing was happening at a time, except warm ups.

I think it was tri. USU, BYU and SUU (?) IIRC.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 14th, 2022, 11:59 am

918AGG wrote:
January 14th, 2022, 10:31 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2022, 10:33 pm

I think it was tri. USU, BYU and SUU (?) IIRC.
The ewe was there, too. They do the event every year.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » January 18th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Gymnastics meets are a lot of fun. I have been to a few. I have even taken my girls to a couple of Ute gymnastics meets (please don't throw stones).

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » January 18th, 2022, 5:53 pm

How 'bout this: [insert invitation variable here] won't get you in, but it can sure as hell keep you out.

aggieborn

Post by aggieborn » January 20th, 2022, 6:51 pm

In week one Utah was ranked 4 we were ranked 11 BYU was 12 and shockingly SUU was 16 nationally. I knew the U was great at gymnastics but I had no idea how dominant the whole state it. Kind of like how Utah dominates college football rankings

Locked Previous topicNext topic