Hockey

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Hockey

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2021, 11:09 am

Vegas and SDSU are adding Division I hockey. Come on, all you moneybag hockey fans, pony up so the Ags can follow suit.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

usugoalie13

Re: Hockey

Post by usugoalie13 » December 27th, 2021, 11:38 am

Sdsu is moving up to acha div 1. Still club, just a level higher. Same level the the ewe.

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2021, 11:56 am

usugoalie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2021, 11:38 am
Sdsu is moving up to acha div 1. Still club, just a level higher. Same level the the ewe.
Oh, gotcha.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
usugoalie13

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Hockey is crazy in talent differentiation across levels. USU has had some good hockey teams but USU vs a good NCAA team like Notre Dame and even teams like Wisconsin would seemingly be the equivalent of Alabama vs a D3 football team.

But the difference is, is that ACHA hockey is still filled with very good hockey players. Whereas D3 football is not filled with great football players.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » December 27th, 2021, 8:02 pm

I played junior A hockey in canada. That's the league that ncaa gets their players. I played acha div 2 and had team mates play ncaa div 1. I was one trade away from probably getting a scholarship.
These users thanked the author usugoalie13 for the post:
USU78

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 27th, 2021, 9:05 pm

usugoalie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2021, 8:02 pm
I played junior A hockey in canada. That's the league that ncaa gets their players. I played acha div 2 and had team mates play ncaa div 1. I was one trade away from probably getting a scholarship.
SDS claimed back in August to be the first NCAA division 1 hockey program in Cali. Vegas claimed, as I understand it, to be forming an NCAA division 1 team just days ago. Or, perhaps, the press doesn't understand what is happening. Do you believe the latter is correct?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 27th, 2021, 9:37 pm

USU did well getting players from Canada and even Europe that in many respects carried the team. But overall ncaa d1 teams are much better top to bottom.

Interesting note about the hockey team: there was one guy who was blasted by Inside Edition a few years ago for sketchy door to door alarm sales practices. Really unfortunate, he was a great Aggie on a fun team to watch.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » December 27th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Sdsu is a div 2 acha team, they are moving up to div 1 acha. What ever the media is saying, they clearly don't know. I don't know exactly what's going on with unlv, but they are trying for ncaa. Usu got a bunch of Canadians. I'm not going to say it was all me, but I had a big part of it. When I got there, it was me and one other Canadian (there were a few others before I arrived but I never played with them) but after I showed up, I brought down 5 more and my final year, I think we had 14 Canadians.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » December 28th, 2021, 1:05 am

usugoalie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2021, 10:11 pm
Sdsu is a div 2 acha team, they are moving up to div 1 acha. What ever the media is saying, they clearly don't know. I don't know exactly what's going on with unlv, but they are trying for ncaa. Usu got a bunch of Canadians. I'm not going to say it was all me, but I had a big part of it. When I got there, it was me and one other Canadian (there were a few others before I arrived but I never played with them) but after I showed up, I brought down 5 more and my final year, I think we had 14 Canadians.
Back in the mid 90s, when USU hockey was playing their home games in Ogden, I was surprised at how much of the roster was made up of guys from southern California. Being from New England, where hockey is very big, I found it odd. Hockey has taken off in popularity quite a bit over the past few decades, so there will be a lot more talent from different areas. But back in then, to find most talent, you had to go to New England, the upper Mid-West, Canada, or Northern and Central Europe. I'd love to see USU add men's and women's Ice Hockey as D1 NCAA sports.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 28th, 2021, 8:01 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
usugoalie13 wrote:
December 27th, 2021, 10:11 pm
Back in the mid 90s, when USU hockey was playing their home games in Ogden, I was surprised at how much of the roster was made up of guys from southern California. Being from New England, where hockey is very big, I found it odd. Hockey has taken off in popularity quite a bit over the past few decades, so there will be a lot more talent from different areas. But back in then, to find most talent, you had to go to New England, the upper Mid-West, Canada, or Northern and Central Europe. I'd love to see USU add men's and women's Ice Hockey as D1 NCAA sports.
You’re right. I was on one of those mid-90’s teams and we had several Cali kids. Had 4 of us Canadians, a few from the NE, Alaska, and upper Midwest too. Sprinkled in some players from Idaho and Utah as well. Back then Utah and Idaho hockey were pretty sparse. We did make ACHA D2 nationals that year in Tampa along with Weber and SJSU and played Indiana, Ohio State and such. I recall the team that won it all was Life Chiropractic College from Marietta Georgia. They were loaded with ex-Canadian junior hockey league players who were going to chiropractic school.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 28th, 2021, 1:35 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:Hockey is crazy in talent differentiation across levels. USU has had some good hockey teams but USU vs a good NCAA team like Notre Dame and even teams like Wisconsin would seemingly be the equivalent of Alabama vs a D3 football team.

But the difference is, is that ACHA hockey is still filled with very good hockey players. Whereas D3 football is not filled with great football players.
So many players are right at the same level and it really can be all about a bounce to differentiate. First year of midgets (u18) I scored a hat trick against a kid that was drafted that year. Had 4 goals total on the season.

Hail Aggies!

USU78

Post by USU78 » December 31st, 2021, 6:48 pm

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » December 31st, 2021, 7:59 pm

USU78 wrote:
December 31st, 2021, 6:48 pm
This isn't what some thought:

https://www.mwcboard.com/index.php?/top ... nt=3055358
University of Oregon was going to play fairbanks this year. Covid shut that down, but they are also moving up to achw div 1 next year. Source level 100000
These users thanked the author usugoalie13 for the post:
USU78

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 2nd, 2022, 1:07 pm

What level is USU currently at for club hockey?

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » January 2nd, 2022, 2:58 pm

Acha div 2

Locked Previous topicNext topic