Anybody know Mayor Daines?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
WasatchAggie

Anybody know Mayor Daines?

Post by WasatchAggie » December 19th, 2021, 2:45 pm

While this is only peripherally related to Aggie sports, I have kids still up in Logan when the power went out today (and is still out). Anyway, the city’s main webpage and the power department’s webpage had no information regarding the city-wide outage. And, the emergency number for power outages was not working. I finally called the non-emergency dispatch number to see if they knew what was going on and to see if they could contact the city. That was when we found out the power grid was down for the entire city.

Long story short, a simple emergency notice on the appropriate webpages would have been very helpful. So, if anyone has the connections and would like to put this suggestion in the mayor’s ear, it would be helpful to our freezing athletes and students if this every happens again.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Re: Anybody know Mayor Daines?

Post by TheAKAggie » December 19th, 2021, 8:13 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:While this is only peripherally related to Aggie sports, I have kids still up in Logan when the power went out today (and is still out). Anyway, the city’s main webpage and the power department’s webpage had no information regarding the city-wide outage. And, the emergency number for power outages was not working. I finally called the non-emergency dispatch number to see if they knew what was going on and to see if they could contact the city. That was when we found out the power grid was down for the entire city.

Long story short, a simple emergency notice on the appropriate webpages would have been very helpful. So, if anyone has the connections and would like to put this suggestion in the mayor’s ear, it would be helpful to our freezing athletes and students if this every happens again.
You could also call Logan Light and Power in a non black out day and make the request yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

MilesDavis

Post by MilesDavis » December 21st, 2021, 8:39 am

WasatchAggie wrote:
December 19th, 2021, 2:45 pm
I finally called the non-emergency dispatch number to see if they knew what was going on and to see if they could contact the city. That was when we found out the power grid was down for the entire city.

I live in Logan. The power grid was not down for the entire city. Word I heard is that a transformer on a pole went out (the checkout guy at Smith's Marketplace told me he heard the pole was hit by a truck, but he wasn't sure). I think he said the power was out at the store for about an hour to an hour and a half.

I do not know Mayor Daines but, coincidentally, I just wrote her a letter a few days ago praising the Logan City workers for their excellent work when my power went out after the recent snowstorm. Briefly, here is how it went down:

I'm in my house about 9:30 in the morning when there's a huge crash and my power cuts off. A huge limb, heavy with snow, came down and took out my electricity and internet cable. I picked up my phone and said, "Siri, what's the telephone number for Logan City Power?" She gave me a few numbers and I clicked on the first one. I got a nice woman on the second ring who said "Oh, this is billing. Let me connect you to the right department." On the first ring I got another nice woman who said, "What's your address? I'll send someone right out." Within fifteen minutes two trucks were out there working on the problem. Less than an hour after the loss of power we were up and running again.

I won't take another thousand words to tell you what my experience with Xfinity was like to get the internet hooked back up (sheesh). Let's just say it began with several minutes of a robotic voice telling me to reboot my modem thingy (Me: "But the internet cable is dangling in the wind, disconnected from the telephone pole!"), followed eventually by a human telling me the same thing. You can imagine.

While writing the letter to Mayor Daines to thank her for the fantastic work by everyone at Logan City with this power line issue, I started remembering other things that have impressed me since living here, like when Logan City came around and picked up the zillions of fallen branches after the big windstorm a few weeks ago, or the time they provided free sandbags some years ago for an impending flood (saved my basement). I don't think any city government is perfect, but overall Logan has been pretty darned awesome in my experience.

That being said, I guess a city webmaster person could slap a notice on the webpage saying there's a power outage and we're working on it. Seems reasonable. Might keep their phones from lighting up when there's an outage.
These users thanked the author MilesDavis for the post:
travelingagg

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » December 21st, 2021, 8:55 am

Like or follow the logan city accounts on Facebook and/or Twitter, there was a notice posted there with an approximate down time.

Locked Previous topicNext topic