Space Dynamics Laboratory

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
LKGates

Space Dynamics Laboratory

Post by LKGates » November 16th, 2021, 1:20 pm

This isn't sports related, but it is HUGE. The Space Dynamics Laboratory at USU was just awarded a contract from the Air Force for $ 1 BILLION over five years! That immediately moves us up, I don't know, maybe 50 spots in the ranking of research dollars per year among American Universities. I guess it is somewhat sports related, in that it greatly improves our academic stock, if the push for four 16 team power conferences continues. The PAC-12 is still very picky about academic standing, one of the reasons Boise State would NEVER be considered for membership.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 12):
AggieFBObsessionGeoAgViAggieosuaggieRigAggie3rdGenAggiethegreendalegelfLoveMyAggiesUSU78aggies22 and 2 more users

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

slcagg

Re: Space Dynamics Laboratory

Post by slcagg » November 16th, 2021, 1:31 pm

Curious for someone who would know. What will the money be used for? Guessing this isn’t public knowledge.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 16th, 2021, 1:49 pm

Whew! Don’t screw it up, engineers!

And physicists, chemists, and whomever else this may concern.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 16th, 2021, 1:59 pm

A better flux capacitor

Seriously this is fantastic! Largest contact ever for space research from the Air Force research lab...https://spacenews.com/utah-state-univer ... from-afrl/
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

andytheaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by andytheaggie » November 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm

The AFRL contract is actually 1 billion over 10 years. Additionally, SDL was awarded a 300 million contract from the Missile Defense Agency for 300 million over 7 years.

The AFRL contract is to support the Air Force and US Space Force with the development of small satellites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 16th, 2021, 2:14 pm

andytheaggie wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm
The AFRL contract is actually 1 billion over 10 years. Additionally, SDL was awarded a 300 million contract from the Missile Defense Agency for 300 million over 7 years.

The AFRL contract is to support the Air Force and US Space Force with the development of small satellites.

So the article I link has it wrong at 5 years for the AFRL contract?

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

andytheaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by andytheaggie » November 16th, 2021, 2:21 pm

GeoAg wrote:
andytheaggie wrote:

I believe so. My source is from an email that Jed Hancock (SDL president) sent out to employees.

These users thanked the author andytheaggie for the post:
GeoAg

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 16th, 2021, 2:32 pm

andytheaggie wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 2:21 pm
GeoAg wrote:
andytheaggie wrote:

I believe so. My source is from an email that Jed Hancock (SDL president) sent out to employees.

Jed Hancock graduated the same year as me. He was IEEE President and I was Treasurer. I knew he had gone back to SDL, but didn't know he was now SDL President. Pretty cool! I saw him at a USU Basketball game a couple years back. He just so happened to be sitting behind our family and we had a nice catching-up. He was an SDL intern and TA for the legendary Doran Baker (him and his brother were some of the primary founders of SDL) when he was an undergrad in ECE at USU.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 16th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Over $140 million a year for the next 7 years (and $100 million for 3 more years beyond that) is HUUUUUGE. Guaranteed that will boost academic rankings.

I don't know about space and military grants, but in the world of medical grants, a grant for even a million per year is BIG.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 2):
aggies22LKGates

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 16th, 2021, 5:16 pm

i used to work for SDL. software engineering. one of the branches where the customer was the air force.

i felt, every day, like i was the stupidest person on the team. i did well enough in actuality, average to maybe above average. but some of the people that were on my team just blew my mind with their knowledge, understanding, and detail recall of software development.

then i moved to the washington DC area.

i quickly learned that i am indeed well above average to actually pretty diddly darn GOOD. SDL just had the best of the best that i had encountered. everyone on my team -- @aceofspadeskb included for sure -- when i was at SDL would be a superstar on any team i've been on out here.

well done for SDL. i hope that money trickles down to the engineers, technicians, and scientists who do the hard labor of delivering contract value.
These users thanked the author AndroidAggie for the post (total 10):
Yossarianjpswensenflying_scotsman2.0vegasaggieBLUERUFiOncs53Aggie84025aceofspadeskbAggieFBObsessionLKGates

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 17th, 2021, 10:47 am

This is indeed enormous. Nice work SDL.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
LKGates

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 18th, 2021, 7:14 am

GeoAg wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 1:59 pm
A better flux capacitor

Seriously this is fantastic! Largest contact ever for space research from the Air Force research lab...https://spacenews.com/utah-state-univer ... from-afrl/
All they have to do is build one flux capacitor and then they can add on the Mr. Fusion once they get to the future.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 18th, 2021, 10:39 am

This is a huge boon for the university and especially the SDL. Makes an Aggie proud.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
LKGates

Eutaw St. Aggie

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » November 19th, 2021, 10:36 am

That is not a small chunk of money... Super cool for them, and for the whole university

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » November 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm

LKGates wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 1:20 pm
This isn't sports related, but it is HUGE. The Space Dynamics Laboratory at USU was just awarded a contract from the Air Force for $ 1 BILLION over five years! That immediately moves us up, I don't know, maybe 50 spots in the ranking of research dollars per year among American Universities. I guess it is somewhat sports related, in that it greatly improves our academic stock, if the push for four 16 team power conferences continues. The PAC-12 is still very picky about academic standing, one of the reasons Boise State would NEVER be considered for membership.
We are currently classified as an "R2: Doctoral Universities – High research activity" by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Hopefully, this boost in funding of our already high research expenditures (only behind CSU in the MWC) could help us join CSU, Hawaii, UNLV, and UNR in Carnegie's top classification of "R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_r ... ctivity%22

Edit: Looks like the 2021 Carnegie Classification Update is in process and will be finalized by the end of January 2022.
These users thanked the author travelingagg for the post (total 2):
Aggie19LKGates

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » November 22nd, 2021, 3:30 am

While going to school at USU my son worked for SDL. This is where he got his wonderful start in Engineering! I really don’t know how my son did it. He was full time in school plus worked 30 hours a week at the SDL. He went on to graduate in Engineering with honors, and then got a great start with General Electric. He moved on from GE after 4 years, and now works from home managing 25 fellow engineers as project leader for Spectra shield! This company’s CEO is David Marriott. The only Marriott NOT in the hotel business. However, guess where the money came from for the start of this venture 8 years ago? My son built a wonderful home on the Hyde Park bench and has been living the dream. Now if I just can get my son to build some wheel chair ramp at his home so I can visit him, and see my grand kids!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
Aggie19

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 23rd, 2021, 1:09 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2021, 5:16 pm
i used to work for SDL. software engineering. one of the branches where the customer was the air force.

i felt, every day, like i was the stupidest person on the team. i did well enough in actuality, average to maybe above average. but some of the people that were on my team just blew my mind with their knowledge, understanding, and detail recall of software development.

i quickly learned that i am indeed well above average to actually pretty diddly darn GOOD. SDL just had the best of the best that i had encountered. everyone on my team -- @aceofspadeskb included for sure -- when i was at SDL would be a superstar on any team i've been on out here.

well done for SDL. i hope that money trickles down to the engineers, technicians, and scientists who do the hard labor of delivering contract value.
Kind words. Thanks! The work we're doing at Space Dynamics is a lot of fun. Highly recommend them as an employer to anyone considering a job in engineering/science related fields.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionLKGates

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 23rd, 2021, 2:11 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 1:09 pm
AndroidAggie wrote:

Kind words. Thanks! The work we're doing at Space Dynamics is a lot of fun. Highly recommend them as an employer to anyone considering a job in engineering/science related fields.
I spent about a year there when I was a student more than a decade ago. I had my supervisor head that way a couple of years ago, plus another colleague just a few months ago. The idea is tempting. Not really in the market right now, but if I start looking for a job again at some point I'll check out SDL's job listings.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 23rd, 2021, 3:14 pm

Nice job, nerds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
aceofspadeskb

Hail Aggies!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 23rd, 2021, 4:00 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:Nice job, nerds.

Not worthy.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 23rd, 2021, 5:54 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:
i felt, every day, like i was the stupidest person on the team. i hope that money trickles down to the engineers, technicians, and scientists who do the hard labor of delivering contract value.
I seriously doubt that you were below average in every type of intelligence. The mere fact that you realize that you were below average in that one way speaks volumes of your ability to empathize. I completely agree with your last statement.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post:
AndroidAggie

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 24th, 2021, 4:20 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 3:14 pm
Nice job, nerds.

Scrolling through the replies reminded me that there are some brilliant guys who post on this board.

And then I run into AKAggie.... :roll:

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » November 24th, 2021, 4:44 pm

LKGates wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
Nice job, nerds.

Scrolling through the replies reminded me that there are some brilliant guys who post on this board.

May be the best reply I have seen in my many hours spent on this board.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 25th, 2021, 12:18 am

LKGates wrote:
November 24th, 2021, 4:20 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
Nice job, nerds.

Something something books smarts vs street smarts. :stirpot:
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 25th, 2021, 7:49 am

travelingagg wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm
LKGates wrote:
We are currently classified as an "R2: Doctoral Universities – High research activity" by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Hopefully, this boost in funding of our already high research expenditures (only behind CSU in the MWC) could help us join CSU, Hawaii, UNLV, and UNR in Carnegie's top classification of "R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity."

Edit: Looks like the 2021 Carnegie Classification Update is in process and will be finalized by the end of January 2022.
I know they changed they way they do these classifications over the past few decades. When I was there, USU was in the highest ranking category of the Carnegie classification system, but got bumped down when the system was revised. It would be nice to get USU back in the top category again.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 26th, 2021, 9:40 am

LKGates wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
Nice job, nerds.

You never meet anyone who thinks their as smart as I do.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Hail Aggies!

LKGates

Post by LKGates » November 27th, 2021, 11:30 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
November 26th, 2021, 9:40 am
LKGates wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
Nice job, nerds.

You never meet anyone who thinks their as smart as I do.

https://youtu.be/5wx-baOoQNs

ultramagnus

Post by ultramagnus » November 29th, 2021, 4:44 pm

I interned at the SDL when I was a senior in high school.

Everything in that place was pretty much over my head and I don’t really think my assigned professor/researcher knew what to do with me so I spent most of my afternoons playing the computer (Warcraft, maybe?). I think the internship program was fairly new at the time and the idea sounded better than it really was. There really was little to no direction or expectation. Consequently, I basically just had to show up and I’d get a ‘pass’ for my science credit.

Eventually they figured I should justify my existence there and had me design and make a scooter for the 15 to 20 gallons-ish watering bucket they used to transport water from the spigot to the plants they were observing/preparing to send to the international space station for experimentation. I think my USU student overseer came up with the idea so he wouldn’t have to haul (drag) the bucket by hand (or to cut down on multiple watering trips—it was a big bucket). Long story short, my design was so inferior that it broke a wheel on its maiden voyage, spilled the whole contents in the room (luckily no outlets were in the floor) and put the whole room under a half inch of water. I scrambled to clean up the water and was just about done when my USU student contact walked in. He laughed. The professor/researcher made some comment about it and I never went back. Embarrassing. But I got a ‘pass’. :)

It’s probably fair to say that this experience help steer me away from the engineering program and I changed my major shortly after enrolling.

Congrats to the SDL and USU. Getting hacks like me out of that place significantly upped their standing. Lol.

These users thanked the author ultramagnus for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0AGinNEIowaAggieFBObsessionAglicious

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 29th, 2021, 4:53 pm

ultramagnus wrote:
November 29th, 2021, 4:44 pm
I interned at the SDL when I was a senior in high school.

Everything in that place was pretty much over my head and I don’t really think my assigned professor/researcher knew what to do with me so I spent most of my afternoons playing the computer (Warcraft, maybe?). I think the internship program was fairly new at the time and the idea sounded better than it really was. There really was little to no direction or expectation. Consequently, I basically just had to show up and I’d get a ‘pass’ for my science credit.

Eventually they figured I should justify my existence there and had me design and make a scooter for the 15 to 20 gallons-ish watering bucket they used to transport water from the spigot to the plants they were observing/preparing to send to the international space station for experimentation. I think my USU student overseer came up with the idea so he wouldn’t have to haul (drag) the bucket by hand (or to cut down on multiple watering trips—it was a big bucket). Long story short, my design was so inferior that it broke a wheel on its maiden voyage, spilled the whole contents in the room (luckily no outlets were in the floor) and put the whole room under a half inch of water. I scrambled to clean up the water and was just about done when my USU student contact walked in. He laughed. The professor/researcher made some comment about it and I never went back. Embarrassing. But I got a ‘pass’. :)

It’s probably fair to say that this experience help steer me away from the engineering program and I changed my major shortly after enrolling.

Congrats to the SDL and USU. Getting hacks like me out of that place significantly upped their standing. Lol.

Funny story, thanks for sharing!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 30th, 2021, 7:34 pm

My employer gives a 100% match every year toward the end of the year on our donation portal and this year I chose utah state university research foundation, which I believe encompasses innovation campus and the space dynamics lab.

It was a small amount just to get me up to the maximum
for the credit for those that take the standard deduction do not to toot my horn. I say this only because if your employer matches donations there is a chance that the Utah State University Research Foundation will be listed.

Unfortunately I didn’t see it on Amazon Smile, but USU is listed.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 2nd, 2021, 2:19 pm

travelingagg wrote:
November 21st, 2021, 3:36 pm
LKGates wrote:

I don't get it. Unless there are factors other than total research dollars, how can we be ahead of Hawaii UNLV, and UNR in research dollars, but they are above us in the current Carnegie rankings?

Locked Previous topicNext topic