Utah Jazz 2021-22 thread

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Utah Jazz 2021-22 thread

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 11th, 2022, 10:09 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 11th, 2022, 9:36 pm
My fear for this season is that we didn't do anything to fix the defensive problems the Clippers exposed by scheming Gobert to the corner.
I was hoping maybe part of the problem was that Conley and Mitchell were hurt vs the Clippers.
Now Gobert is out. Conley and Mitchell are healthy and the jazz just allowed two bad teams to score like crazy.
I don't think the problem was fixed.
Yeah this is a second round team again unless Phoenix or Golden State have serious injuries. They might be passed up by Memphis as well. The last few games have shown how valuable Gobert is. Without him, their defense is flat out awful. The Detroit effort last night was the most embarrassing Jazz game I've watched in a long time.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 19th, 2022, 9:56 pm

Ryan Odom isn't Tim Duryea, but Quin Snyder might be Ty Corbin.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 19th, 2022, 10:35 pm

Let’s hope Ryan is smart enough not to let Mitchell decide who the next head coach should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » January 20th, 2022, 9:01 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 19th, 2022, 10:35 pm
Let’s hope Ryan is smart enough not to let Mitchell decide who the next head coach should be.

I don't think Spida will be around long enough to choose the next head coach.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 20th, 2022, 9:11 am

January needs to end.. This and Aggie basketball has been killing me.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 20th, 2022, 10:15 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 9:11 am
January needs to end.. This and Aggie basketball has been killing me.
When does spring football start?

Aggies All the Way!

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 20th, 2022, 10:34 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 9:01 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

Yeah, there's no way. First, Snyder isn't going anywhere (nor should he). Second, I'd put the chances of Mitchell re-signing with Utah generously at 10%. The smart move would be to go for a title over the next two years and then trade him in year 4 of his current deal.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » January 20th, 2022, 1:29 pm

According to my fanatic Jazz fan amigo, the Jazz are motoring through the season without developing any of their bench players

I thought it was interesting to note that the Warriors just won a game playing with a 19 and a 22 year old starting, and another 19 year old in the lineup for a good portion of the game. Probably a younger team overall than the Aggies? LOL

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 20th, 2022, 6:07 pm

El Sapo wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 1:29 pm
According to my fanatic Jazz fan amigo, the Jazz are motoring through the season without developing any of their bench players

I thought it was interesting to note that the Warriors just won a game playing with a 19 and a 22 year old starting, and another 19 year old in the lineup for a good portion of the game. Probably a younger team overall than the Aggies? LOL
It helps that they've had a couple lottery picks lately.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 21st, 2022, 7:59 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
January 20th, 2022, 9:01 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

Unfortunately even if they are smart enough not to let Mitchell choose the head coach the even worse option appears to be Ryan hiring some BYU buddy of his.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 21st, 2022, 9:14 am

Is there a trade out there that would change the course of this season?

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 21st, 2022, 11:04 am

JC, Bogey, and Joe are the most tradeable players, probably in that order. The question is, what 3 and D wings are out there that teams might be willing to part with?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 21st, 2022, 8:11 pm

I want Jerami Grant, but we don't have what Detroit wants.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

CaptainChaos

Utah Jazz 2021-22 thread

Post by CaptainChaos » January 21st, 2022, 10:10 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:Is there a trade out there that would change the course of this season?
I personally think the Jazz should blow it up… I’d only keep Rudy but he might not be happy with a rebuild. The real crappy part is the Jazz probably wouldn’t recoup all the firsts and seconds they’ve already traded away.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » January 21st, 2022, 10:24 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 21st, 2022, 10:10 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:Is there a trade out there that would change the course of this season?
I personally think the Jazz should blow it up… I’d only keep Rudy but he might not be happy with a rebuild. The real crappy part is the Jazz probably wouldn’t recoup all the firsts and seconds they’ve already traded away.

Well I’m definitely not on that boat haha. I’d only blow it up if we were nearing the end of Mitchell’s deal and it was clear he wasn’t coming back, or if we decline even more in the next couple of years and step even further behind.

Sometimes teams just finally breakthrough. The right matchups fall into place and a team gets hot at the right time. You saw it with Dirk and the Mavs in 2011, and then most recently with the Bucks after disappointing ends in 2019 and 2020. I still think the Jazz have enough talent to win, but adding one more key piece could be the difference.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 21st, 2022, 10:35 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:

Rebuild? They are in their best position since the 90's. Yes they need to do make some changes, but no way you blow up a consistent 50+ win team to start over, especially with a 25 year old superstar and the best defensive player in the game.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 22nd, 2022, 1:03 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

Rebuild? They are in their best position since the 90's. Yes they need to do make some changes, but no way you blow up a consistent 50+ win team to start over, especially with a 25 year old superstar and the best defensive player in the game.
Winning 50 games is cool and all, but losing in the second round every year and not addressing any needs is old already. It’s glaringly obvious the Jazz need wing defenders and have needed it for at least the last 2 years. The team appears to be falling apart lately as well. I’m not optimistic about this Jazz team at all this year, but I’m also not a big fan of watching reruns either…

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2022, 8:00 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 1:03 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:

Winning 50 games is cool and all, but losing in the second round every year and not addressing any needs is old already. It’s glaringly obvious the Jazz need wing defenders and have needed it for at least the last 2 years. The team appears to be falling apart lately as well. I’m not optimistic about this Jazz team at all this year, but I’m also not a big fan of watching reruns either…

They just barely got a new CEO of Basketball Operations who is famous for making moves. Yes absolutely they need to make some changes, but that is a bit different from "blowing it up" which implies starting over. It hasn't been this good being a Jazz fan since the 90's with 2 superstars and a good supporting cast. They are light years ahead of the Boozer/Dwill teams of the 00's.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 22nd, 2022, 9:18 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

They just barely got a new CEO of Basketball Operations who is famous for making moves. Yes absolutely they need to make some changes, but that is a bit different from "blowing it up" which implies starting over. It hasn't been this good being a Jazz fan since the 90's with 2 superstars and a good supporting cast. They are light years ahead of the Boozer/Dwill teams of the 00's.
What? Light years? Don’t forget DWill owned CP3 and was considered in the conversation for the best PG in the nba. CP3 would single handily destroy this current Jazz team and he’s like 40. Boozer DWill AK and Memo went to the finals. They also had Fisher, Millsap, and Harpring… I’d put my money on that team over the current Jazz team. If Boozer could have stayed healthy that team could have had some continued success.
I just don’t want to see the Jazz wait too long and watch players walk away- this current team isn’t going anywhere. They don’t belong in the same conversation with the Stockton and Malone teams, let alone a conference finals team.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 22nd, 2022, 9:38 pm

The DWill-Boozer Jazz made it to the WCF in 2007, but never made it to the finals. That was the year the 8 seed Warriors with Baron Davis upset the league-best Mavericks which paved the way for the Jazz. They lost to the Spurs il 5 in the WCF.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2022, 11:23 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 9:18 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

What? Light years? Don’t forget DWill owned CP3 and was considered in the conversation for the best PG in the nba. CP3 would single handily destroy this current Jazz team and he’s like 40. Boozer DWill AK and Memo went to the finals. They also had Fisher, Millsap, and Harpring… I’d put my money on that team over the current Jazz team. If Boozer could have stayed healthy that team could have had some continued success.
I just don’t want to see the Jazz wait too long and watch players walk away- this current team isn’t going anywhere. They don’t belong in the same conversation with the Stockton and Malone teams, let alone a conference finals team.

Nah, the Dwill/Boozer team doesn't belong within a mile of the current team. Boozer is a joke and Dwill was extremely overrated. Rudy Gobert by himself has been an all nba player more times than Dwill and Boozer combined.
That team never made the finals and only made the WCF because they played the 8 seed Warriors in the second round. They had two more second round exits where they got destroyed by Kobe and the Lakers and then were done. Shortest window ever. Dwill might have outplayed CP3 in a few regular season games, but nobody considered him a better player outside of Jazz fans. CP3 should have won the MVP in 07-08 and always was better than Dwill in every category and has become an NBA legend while Dwill proved to not be any good after the Jazz smartly traded him. (Dwill was all-NBA twice with his last year being 2010, while CP3 has been an all NBA player 10x.) If you want to talk about a team not going anywhere, that Boozer/Dwill team didn't and their careers after Utah showed they weren't going anywhere.

As for comparing this group to the 90's Jazz, they are definitely the best group since that time. They are absolutely comparable to the early 90's Jazz as they are set to compete for the next decade. It would be insane to blow it up. They haven't had players like Donovan Mitchel and Rudy Gobert since Stockton and Malone and who knows how long it would take to get guys as good in the future. Ryan Smith obviously won't. He didn't pay 1.6 billion for a great product with stars in their prime to do some crazy rebuild.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 22nd, 2022, 11:47 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:The DWill-Boozer Jazz made it to the WCF in 2007, but never made it to the finals. That was the year the 8 seed Warriors with Baron Davis upset the league-best Mavericks which paved the way for the Jazz. They lost to the Spurs il 5 in the WCF.
That’s why I said they don’t belong in the conversation with a conference finals team… losing to a Tim Duncan, Manu, Tony Parker Spurs team is much different than losing to a Denver nugget team in the 1st round or to the rockets team in consecutive years one in the first round in 5 games. This Jazz team is embarrassing in the playoffs. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree with how “great” this team is. I hope you’re prepared for disappointment.
The answer is no there isn’t a trade to be made this year that would make a lick of difference.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 22nd, 2022, 11:55 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 22nd, 2022, 11:47 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:The DWill-Boozer Jazz made it to the WCF in 2007, but never made it to the finals. That was the year the 8 seed Warriors with Baron Davis upset the league-best Mavericks which paved the way for the Jazz. They lost to the Spurs il 5 in the WCF.
That’s why I said they don’t belong in the conversation with a conference finals team… losing to a Tim Duncan, Manu, Tony Parker Spurs team is much different than losing to a Denver nugget team in the 1st round or to the rockets team in consecutive years one in the first round in 5 games. This Jazz team is embarrassing in the playoffs. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree with how “great” this team is. I hope you’re prepared for disappointment.
The answer is no there isn’t a trade to be made this year that would make a lick of difference.

Lol so one fluke year is so special to you? Great, they had one year where they barely squeaked by the Rockets and got to play an 8 seed in the second round. The next 3 years they got smoked by the Lakers and their window was over. That is nothing compared to the bright future the Jazz have now.

But since you have such a great plan, outline it for us? Let us know how your plan to blow it all up is going to lead to the Jazz competing for a championship faster than continuing to build a franchise around two superstars? I'd love to hear it!

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » January 23rd, 2022, 12:04 am

CaptainChaos wrote:

Lol so one fluke year is so special to you? Great, they had one year where they barely squeaked by the Rockets and got to play an 8 seed in the second round. The next 3 years they got smoked by the Lakers and their window was over. That is nothing compared to the bright future the Jazz have now.

But since you have such a great plan, outline it for us? Let us know how your plan to blow it all up is going to lead to the Jazz competing for a championship faster than continuing to build a franchise around two superstars? I'd love to hear it!
I’m no wizard but
One special year > No special years

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 23rd, 2022, 12:30 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 12:04 am
CaptainChaos wrote:

I’m no wizard but

That wasn't a special year and you didn't answer the question or outline your plan.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 23rd, 2022, 5:15 am

January 23rd, 2022, 12:30 am
CaptainChaos wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I’m no wizard but

That wasn't a special year and you didn't answer the question or outline your plan.
I’d be curious what you’d do hawaii? Any way they could get Ben Simmons without giving Donovan or Rudy? I know that’d be a risk but man a player like him with Rudy and Donovan would be huge.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 23rd, 2022, 10:26 am

slcagg wrote:
January 23rd, 2022, 5:15 am
CaptainChaos wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I’m no wizard but

I’d be curious what you’d do hawaii? Any way they could get Ben Simmons without giving Donovan or Rudy? I know that’d be a risk but man a player like him with Rudy and Donovan would be huge.
My main point is not winning the championship this year is not cause for blowing up the team. The Jazz are set to compete for years to come. This is like the Jazz in the early 90's not like the brief candle in the dark Dwill/Boozer teams. CaptainChaos's point reminds me of the people on here who were saying the Jazz should trade Gobert after the Clipper series when that would have been crazy and made the Jazz worse.

As for Simmons, would love for that to happen. We now have someone in control that you know will be trying to make moves like that to happen. The rumor was the Sixers were holding onto Simmons in hope that a big fish like Bradley Beal, Jaylen Brown or Damian Lillard would demand out. That hasn't happened, so the Sixers will likely have to accept they won't get a superstar in return. There are many other players that could improve the Jazz. Jerami Grant is constantly being talked about and likely gets traded. Robert Covington has the skillset they need and is on the block. Marcus Smart is another guy who would be awesome in Utah and will likely be traded before the deadline.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 23rd, 2022, 11:02 am

January 23rd, 2022, 10:26 am
slcagg wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I’m no wizard but

My main point is not winning the championship this year is not cause for blowing up the team. The Jazz are set to compete for years to come. This is like the Jazz in the early 90's not like the brief candle in the dark Dwill/Boozer teams. CaptainChaos's point reminds me of the people on here who were saying the Jazz should trade Gobert after the Clipper series when that would have been crazy and made the Jazz worse.

As for Simmons, would love for that to happen. We now have someone in control that you know will be trying to make moves like that to happen. The rumor was the Sixers were holding onto Simmons in hope that a big fish like Bradley Beal, Jaylen Brown or Damian Lillard would demand out. That hasn't happened, so the Sixers will likely have to accept they won't get a superstar in return. There are many other players that could improve the Jazz. Jerami Grant is constantly being talked about and likely gets traded. Robert Covington has the skillset they need and is on the block. Marcus Smart is another guy who would be awesome in Utah and will likely be traded before the deadline.
What do the jazz have to give up to get any of those guys? They certainly could use some help on the wing defending.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 23rd, 2022, 11:10 am

I'm not sold on Simmons. He's an absolute nightmare in the locker room and can't shoot to save his life. The defense would be amazing, but offensively the team would struggle.

Simmons could be amazing if he was on a team where he basically played a point center role. He needs to play the 5 in a switching defense and the 1 on offense.

For the Jazz, someone like Jerami Grant (could maybe trade Bogey and filler for Grants $20 million contract with one year left). Covington is a lot cheaper ($11 million) but is out of contract after this year. I'd want some kind of evidence he'll sign another deal before trading Joe or JC for him. Part of the problem is, the Jazz basically don't have any tradeable picks which hinders their ability to trade for a better player than they currently have on the roster. That's why JC is the best asset they have in trades.

CaptainChaos

Utah Jazz 2021-22 thread

Post by CaptainChaos » January 23rd, 2022, 3:08 pm

slcagg wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:
CaptainChaos wrote:

I’m no wizard but

The Jazz are stripped of assets and got significantly older over the last couple of years. I don’t understand how the same team that has gone out early in the playoffs for multiple years and is only getting older appears to have this bright future to you? So far I’m disappointed in Ryan’s dealing with the Jazz, but I’m willing to give him and Ainge a chance.
One major reason for my pessimism is that Mitchell appears reluctant to play the point position. Having him and Conley together just magnifies the issue of wing defense. Mitchell could be an elite defender at the point position but is only serviceable yet undersized as a wing defender. I have to believe that if Mitchell wanted to be playing the point he would be, so I see his reluctance to do so as an issue defensively. This could be overcome, but not by having an old undersized point guard.

If the Jazz make a move that involves trading Conley and getting some serious wing defense and Mitchell playing the point going forward and doing a good job at it- the Jazz might make some noise- Otherwise it’s going to be a rerun. Another option that would be making a trade for a wing and having Conley come off the bench, but that doesn’t appear to be in the cards for Mike.

Basically the way I see it the Jazz have flushed too many assets and the only way to recoup those assets would be to trade either Rudy our Mitchell. I think Mitchell is probably gone as soon as he gets the opportunity anyway, so we might as well start the process sooner than later.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 31st, 2022, 7:48 pm

The Jazz seems to be unraveling right now. I haven't seen their games but looking at the recent scores, they are in quite a funk.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 31st, 2022, 8:16 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 31st, 2022, 7:48 pm
The Jazz seems to be unraveling right now. I haven't seen their games but looking at the recent scores, they are in quite a funk.
They have had rudy and donovan together for 2 games in the last 25 days along with a combination of several other guys out. Better to deal wi th that stuff now than the end of the season. Sad deal for ingles to be out for the season, but he was not having a good season.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 1st, 2022, 5:43 pm

Wonder how Sam's ankle is doing? He'd be a great addition in the shooter/secondary facilitator role.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 1st, 2022, 5:54 pm

brownjeans wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 5:43 pm
Wonder how Sam's ankle is doing? He'd be a great addition in the shooter/secondary facilitator role.
This feels like how BYU fans always thing Jimmer is the perfect addition to the Jazz. Just the missing piece.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 1st, 2022, 7:42 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 5:54 pm
brownjeans wrote:
February 1st, 2022, 5:43 pm
This feels like how BYU fans always thing Jimmer is the perfect addition to the Jazz. Just the missing piece.
Except Jimmer has already proven he's not an NBA player - I don't think that's been determined with Sam yet.

Locked Previous topicNext topic