Braves and Astros both to Fall Classic

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 24th, 2021, 12:10 am

Im excited to see the Braves back there, its about time!!

breadysmith

Re: Braves and Astros both to Fall Classic

Post by breadysmith » October 25th, 2021, 9:19 am

I’m a lifelong Braves fan and when they were below .500 and Acuna blows up his knee I thought they were done for this year. The moves they made proved to be just right and the team really came together and it’s proving to be pretty special.

Also nice that most of the world will get behind the Braves in this one when going up against the cheating asterisks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 25th, 2021, 10:22 am

I would like to see Freddie Freeman win. He seems like a very genuine dude that enjoys playing the game and doesn't take himself too seriously. I feel bad for Acuna - he is one of the best in the game and this has to be difficult for him watching as his teammates go to the WS without his help.

Like the Astros or hate them - you have to appreciate what Jose Altuve does. He is one of the guys in the league that I really like watching play. He's like 5'5" tall and can just flat out play baseball. He hits for average, he hits for power, he is incredible defensively. In an era of sports (all sports) players being larger than life, he is among the best but is just an inch taller than my wife. He is amazing.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 25th, 2021, 10:25 am

breadysmith wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 9:19 am
I’m a lifelong Braves fan and when they were below .500 and Acuna blows up his knee I thought they were done for this year. The moves they made proved to be just right and the team really came together and it’s proving to be pretty special.

Also nice that most of the world will get behind the Braves in this one when going up against the cheating asterisks.

How far back does your Braves fandom go? I grew up (well, at least from about junior high school when we finally got cable TV) watching the Braves and Cubs on TBS and WGN, respectively. That was back in the Dale Murphy years (I met Dale and have an autographed baseball from him). Bob Horner, Otis Nixon, Terry Pendleton, Gene Garber, Bruce Benedict, Glenn Hubbard, Pascual Perez, Claudell Washington, and the rest.

Eutaw St. Aggie

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 25th, 2021, 10:37 am

Y'all forgot that it's H-Town v. Everybody this year.

Y'all can take your trash can and asterisk jokes, and we'll take our rings. Go Stros!

I'm excited for the Stros to shove this one up the collective baseball poop chute.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 25th, 2021, 11:00 am

And before y'all go around throwing stones, consider the following: https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/sli ... 200267.php

Atlanta Braves

Braves general manager John Coppolella was banned for life in 2017 after he flagrantly circumvented rules regarding the signing of international free agents. The Braves also had to release 12 prospects they signed as a result. In 1960, Braves pitchers Bob Buhl and Joey Jay were spotted sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley Field dressed like fans, using binoculars to relay signs to their team’s hitters. Lew Burdette, who won three complete games in the 1957 World Series won by the Milwaukee Braves, was never suspended for throwing a spitball of which he was long suspected of throwing. Two-time World Series champion Don Hoak once said, “Only once did I ever see water fly off a spitball, and the man who threw me that pitch was Burdette.” In 2015, Braves pitcher Andrew McKirahan was suspended 80 games for testing positive for PEDs.

We're all cheaters, boys...

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm

The difference is punishment. If the Astros had received punishment instead of get out of Jail free card to testify, people would have moved on. But they got nothing in a bad deal by MLB to get testimonies and so the anger hangs on.
These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggiecvalapo

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 25th, 2021, 1:16 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 12:59 pm
The difference is punishment. If the Astros had received punishment instead of get out of Jail free card to testify, people would have moved on. But they got nothing in a bad deal by MLB to get testimonies and so the anger hangs on.
There was certainly a punishment, but perhaps the punishment wasn't as harsh as everyone (else) would have hoped... but maybe that's because MLB knows that EVERYONE is cheating...

Say, what was the green light that was mysteriously going off in the center field at Fenway (immediately in the forefront of the batter's view) that momentarily stopped the ALCS until it mysteriously went away immediately upon being noticed by the umpires? Um... Last minute electrical detail? Um... maybe a child got lost in the stands and wandered below the stadium seating? Um...

Punishment:

The Astros were fined $5 million, the maximum allowed by the MLB constitution, and forced to forfeit their first- and second-round draft picks in 2020 and 2021. In addition, Luhnow and Hinch were each suspended for the entire 2020 season, including the playoffs.

A Brewers catcher accused the Rockies of doing nearly the exact same thing, but there's no nark on the Rockies (and the Rockies suck), so the rage is suspended... Why isn't anybody looking into this?

The Yankees and Red Sox are KNOWN to have been doing to same thing, and using Apple Watches to relay information. What was their punishment?

Highly recommended reading on what's happening to the Astros within other baseball fanbases: https://www.amazon.com/True-Believer-Th ... 0060505915
Last edited by 918AGG on October 25th, 2021, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
I call absolute bulls*** on this.

If that's the case, boo Rob Manfred, picket the Commissioner's Office in New York, but why would you boo the Stros? (Answer: convenience, laziness, succumbing to mass hysteria, sports envy, and a general nonsensical sports rage)

We didn't hand the punishment down on ourselves (nor should we have)...

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » October 25th, 2021, 2:17 pm

I was so hoping that my dream of the giants taking out the giants, then the braves, then the Yankees would come true. Nothing like winning the WS and beating my least 3 favorite teams to do it. oh well! I was sad when the Giants' dream season came to an end, but it was all so unexpected that I can't be mad or stay too sad for too long.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm

918AGG wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Aggiefan33 wrote:

If that's the case, boo Rob Manfred, picket the Commissioner's Office in New York, but why would you boo the Stros? (Answer: convenience, laziness, succumbing to mass hysteria, sports envy, and a general nonsensical sports rage)

You are passionate about it. I was giving a take. So my lack of a response is the 'laziness' to give a rats (I can't express myself without swearing) about a team I do not like.

I would have liked to seen punishment. Not picks or money to the team/organization but to people, not just the Manager. The players got away free. They were guilty, but they were granted immunity from repercussions for their testimonies. That is where I, as an individual have the issue.

You and other are welcome to cheer them on. They have some ballers. I can admit that. You can accept my take or not.

Go Aggies

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 25th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm
918AGG wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 1:43 pm
Aggiefan33 wrote:

You are passionate about it. I was giving a take. So my lack of a response is the 'laziness' to give a rats (I can't express myself without swearing) about a team I do not like.

I would have liked to seen punishment. Not picks or money to the team/organization but to people, not just the Manager. The players got away free. They were guilty, but they were granted immunity from repercussions for their testimonies. That is where I, as an individual have the issue.

You and other are welcome to cheer them on. They have some ballers. I can admit that. You can accept my take or not.

Go Aggies
What would've been an acceptable penalty to the players, in your opinion? And what should be the penalty to the Yankee and Red Sox players who cheated in essentially the exact same way (although arguably more sophisticated as they were using Apple watches instead of trash cans. LOL)?

No hard feelings. I just love my Astros from, basically, birth. :)

Go Aggies!

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 25th, 2021, 4:45 pm

Great question

The Yankees can burn in hell give them the SMU death penalty.

I think obviously the stage with going to the World Series plays a big part. They were the darlings from using analytics before or at least better than everyone. Spin rates for pitchers was all the rage, then it blows up with a scandal. So for ME the outrage is that I was duped. While the Red Sox and Yankees (everyone else) I was not cheering for as the gritty underdog.

I think the Rays would face a similar situation if they had a scandal that broke. They would go from the $30M payroll and farm system to corrupt cheaters if someone broke away.

Why can’t we go back to simpler times when everyone just used cocaine and pills ?

The older I get the less I care about a team. I find myself following players, even after they move. Moodier Betts as the current prime example for me.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 25th, 2021, 6:03 pm

Aggiefan33 wrote:
October 25th, 2021, 4:45 pm
Great question

The Yankees can burn in hell Image give them the SMU death penalty.

I think obviously the stage with going to the World Series plays a big part. They were the darlings from using analytics before or at least better than everyone. Spin rates for pitchers was all the rage, then it blows up with a scandal. So for ME the outrage is that I was duped. While the Red Sox and Yankees (everyone else) I was not cheering for as the gritty underdog.

I think the Rays would face a similar situation if they had a scandal that broke. They would go from the $30M payroll and farm system to corrupt cheaters if someone broke away.

Why can’t we go back to simpler times when everyone just used cocaine and pills Image?

The older I get the less I care about a team. I find myself following players, even after they move. Moodier Betts as the current prime example for me.

The irony! Mookie was on both the 2017 and 2018 Red Sox teams that were reprimanded for illegally transmitting signs via a FitBit and other tricks. Only difference between those two teams and the 2017 Astros is that the 'stros had a rat-fink former teammate (Fiers) butthurt over being left off the World Series roster after the Verlander deal, who told the whole story to the Atlantic. Betts and his teammates were better about keeping their mouths shut.

Nobody here knows anything.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 25th, 2021, 6:05 pm

Busted

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 26th, 2021, 6:14 pm

That was quite a start to a World Series for Soler.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm

I used to hate the Braves back when they were filled with thugs like McCann and Teheran. But I would like the poetic justice of the Braves winning in Atlanta given the circumstances.

It’s easy to like Freeman and Joc

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 26th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Braves came to play.

I'm surprised MLB allowed the Braves to be in the World Series after their very stupid move to pull the All Star Game fun Atlanta this summer.

Eutaw St. Aggie

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 26th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm
I used to hate the Braves back when they were filled with thugs like McCann and Teheran. But I would like the poetic justice of the Braves winning in Atlanta given the circumstances.

McCann and Teheran are not thugs. I know many people criticized McCann for the Gomez incident but that kind of thing is why his pitchers loved him.

I played catch with McCann when he was at Myrtle Beach and I was playing a travel ball tournament there. Couldn’t have been nicer.

As for Teheran, IDK where you are even getting that from. Braves fans’ primary criticism of him was that he was too soft. He’s an underachiever but he’s not a thug.

But, yes, Freeman is one of the easiest players to cheer for in all of sports. Funny, humble and that short, fast lefty swing is an absolute thing of beauty.

Of all the players you named, Pederson is the closest to a thug. I love him now but absolutely hated him on the Dodgers.

Morton’s injury is a death sentence for my beloved Braves. Starting pitching was our advantage over the Astros. Even if we hang on here, I can’t see us winning this series without him.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 26th, 2021, 8:38 pm

MarioWest wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 8:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 7:10 pm

McCann and Teheran are not thugs. I know many people criticized McCann for the Gomez incident but that kind of thing is why his pitchers loved him.

I played catch with McCann when he was at Myrtle Beach and I was playing a travel ball tournament there. Couldn’t have been nicer.

As for Teheran, IDK where you are even getting that from. Braves fans’ primary criticism of him was that he was too soft. He’s an underachiever but he’s not a thug.

But, yes, Freeman is one of the easiest players to cheer for in all of sports. Funny, humble and that short, fast lefty swing is an absolute thing of beauty.

Of all the players you named, Pederson is the closest to a thug. I love him now but absolutely hated him on the Dodgers.

Morton’s injury is a death sentence for my beloved Braves. Starting pitching was our advantage over the Astros. Even if we hang on here, I can’t see us winning this series without him.
Both of those keepers of the unwritten rule book can F right off.

People like Joc because of Champ. I probably wouldn't like Pederson but for Champ.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 26th, 2021, 8:39 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Both of those little keepers of the unwritten rule book can F right off.

People like Joc because of Champ. I probably wouldn't like Pederson but for Champ.
I’ll agree to disagree on McCann but where are you getting that from with Teheran?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 26th, 2021, 8:51 pm

MarioWest wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 8:39 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 8:38 pm
Both of those little keepers of the unwritten rule book can F right off.

I’ll agree to disagree on McCann but where are you getting that from with Teheran?
2013 when the entire Braves organization decided to "start a rivalry" and Teheran took center stage.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 26th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 8:51 pm
2013 when the entire Braves organization decided to "start a rivalry" and Teheran took center stage.
Oh, so you’re a Phillies fan? That makes sense. Teheran always hit a lot of batters. I wish he had the control to hit someone intentionally.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 26th, 2021, 9:51 pm

MarioWest wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 9:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Oh, so you’re a Phillies fan? That makes sense. Teheran always hit a lot of batters. I wish he had the control to hit someone intentionally.
Nationals.

Chris Johnson sucks too.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 26th, 2021, 10:06 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 9:51 pm
MarioWest wrote:
October 26th, 2021, 9:22 pm
Imakeitrain wrote:
Nationals.

Chris Johnson sucks too.
We found something we agree on. Chris Johnson is the absolute worst. I always wanted Juan Francisco to play over him. Johnson’s near-batting title season was one of the luckiest in MLB history. And he definitely had anger management issues.

Ryan Zimmerman had a fantastic career for a 5th rate Chipper Jones imitation 😉

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » October 27th, 2021, 5:46 am

Yossarian wrote:
breadysmith wrote:

How far back does your Braves fandom go? I grew up (well, at least from about junior high school when we finally got cable TV) watching the Braves and Cubs on TBS and WGN, respectively. That was back in the Dale Murphy years (I met Dale and have an autographed baseball from him). Bob Horner, Otis Nixon, Terry Pendleton, Gene Garber, Bruce Benedict, Glenn Hubbard, Pascual Perez, Claudell Washington, and the rest.
I’m in your same camp Yoss.

The Cubbies were great to watch as well, i hope the Braves can win this series. The ol Harry Caray

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 27th, 2021, 6:55 am

It's an NL WEST WORLD SERIES!
These users thanked the author AGinNEIowa for the post (total 2):
OKAggiesam tingey

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 27th, 2021, 7:23 am

MarioWest wrote:

As a diehard Astros fan, I can honestly say, and believe this is universally true: we would rather lose the series with Charlie Morton healthy than see him hurt to win it. Charlie Morton is one of the most beloved Astros ever, and it made us as sick to see him walk off the field last night as it did Braves Nation.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
MarioWest

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » October 27th, 2021, 9:06 am

OKAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:23 am
MarioWest wrote:

As a diehard Astros fan, I can honestly say, and believe this is universally true: we would rather lose the series with Charlie Morton healthy than see him hurt to win it. Charlie Morton is one of the most beloved Astros ever, and it made us as sick to see him walk off the field last night as it did Braves Nation.
That sentiment is much appreciated. He proved why so many fanbases adore him last night. I can’t imagine pitching through a broken leg. The ultimate gamer.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 27th, 2021, 9:33 am

Loved the Braves as a kid watching them on TBS. I can still tell you their lineup from the early 90's with David Justice, Fred McGriff, Mark Lemke, Javy Lopez, Chipper Jones, etc. Those were the glory days with Smoltz, Maddux, and Glavine.

I fell off the baseball bandwagon all together later and don't really have a team anymore...although I'm pulling for the Braves this year out of nostalgia.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 27th, 2021, 9:37 am

OKAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 7:23 am
MarioWest wrote:

I really miss the old school NL Astros. When I was a kid I went on a business trip with my dad during the summer and at night we went to the Astro dome in one of its last seasons. Looking back that team was loaded.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 27th, 2021, 10:02 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 5:46 am
Yossarian wrote:
breadysmith wrote:

I’m in your same camp Yoss.

The Cubbies were great to watch as well, i hope the Braves can win this series. The ol Harry Caray

Harry was a treat. I have no idea how Steve Stone could work with him so long without either laughing out loud or going complete crazy. He must have had the patience of Job. Toward the end of his broadcasting days - when Harry would start to say how the player's names would be pronounced if read backwards - it was really sad. I did like Harry, though.

Eutaw St. Aggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » October 27th, 2021, 11:17 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 6:55 am
Only looking back do I realize how stupid it was for Atlanta and Cincy - both in the eastern time zone -- to have to play in the NL West, while St. Louis and the Cubs -- both in the central time zone -- played in the NL East. STL/CHI/HOU/SF/SD/LA would have made much more sense.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 27th, 2021, 11:47 am

OKAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:17 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
Only looking back do I realize how stupid it was for Atlanta and Cincy - both in the eastern time zone -- to have to play in the NL West, while St. Louis and the Cubs -- both in the central time zone -- played in the NL East. STL/CHI/HOU/SF/SD/LA would have made much more sense.
I always wondered why as well - but that alignment was done before I have memories, so I wonder if any of you less young than me know why they split like that?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 27th, 2021, 1:54 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:47 am
OKAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2021, 11:17 am
AGinNEIowa wrote:
I always wondered why as well - but that alignment was done before I have memories, so I wonder if any of you less young than me know why they split like that?
That gerrymandering of divisions does seem odd. Many times, they like to preserve long-lasting rivalries when they expand leagues. This comes at the expense of logical, geographical grouping of teams sometimes. It's like when the NFL went to four divisions in each conference - there is really no good reason why the Dallas Cowboys should be in the NFC East (with Washington, Philadelphia, and New York) other than a long history/rivalry with those teams.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic