gordon monson, love him or hate him, interesting article

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

gordon monson, love him or hate him, interesting article

Post by tipitup » October 8th, 2021, 9:52 am

Gordon Monson has always been one that i have a hard time reading his articles, i didn't listen to him much on the radio either, but i think this is an interesting article on 1280 the zone and sports radio in Utah, and the sell to the JAZZ and having KSL run it.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2021/10/1 ... eal-story/

if the link doesn't work, someone re-post

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: gordon monson, love him or hate him, interesting article

Post by NVAggie » October 8th, 2021, 10:30 am

I will always remember his questions to Boylen back in the day. That was hilarious.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
travelingagg

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » October 8th, 2021, 10:57 am

I am fairly worried KSL and the Mormon church will make the zone into a sanitary BYU station. 1160 2.0
These users thanked the author Chupamedia for the post:
travelingagg

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » October 8th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Another day, another reason I am glad to not be in Utah.
I haven't liked Gordo's writing in a long time, but that was an interesting read. I will at least give him credit for gleefully poking The Brethren, even if I disagreed with almost everything else he ever said. Especially about the Aggies.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 8th, 2021, 1:58 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 1:38 pm
I haven't liked Gordo's writing in a long time, but that was an interesting read. I will at least give him credit for gleefully poking The Brethren, even if I disagreed with almost everything else he ever said. Especially about the Aggies.
Media bias is not a Utah problem... If you live in Seattle like your handle suggests you ought to know that. I'm sad what has taken place with the media. Utah in some ways seemed to be holding out, but that is no longer the case.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm

The thing I find interesting about Monson is that most everyone who loves something hates Monson - because chances are, he's criticized the thing you love. He criticizes everything he feels is worthy of scrutiny and criticism.

But isn't that the job of a journalist? I think the trouble with journalism today, is that there are far too few who are willing to criticize everything - even if it hurts them and their career. So what we get are a bunch of people playing like journalists, but are simply shills for an agenda.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
ShowMeAggietravelingagg

stang

Post by stang » October 8th, 2021, 4:34 pm

I’m not a Gordon Monson fan at all. It’s not because he’s said things that I disagree with or because he’s gone after my favorite team, I just find him obnoxious. He rubs me the wrong way and honestly I just think he’s kind of a dick.

That said, I don’t think that’s why he was fired, and I share his concerns about the future of sports radio in Utah. If KSL is run anything like the Des News is, I just can’t imagine what that will do to sports talk. Good sports radio is opinion-based, and the church doesn’t allow a whole lot of dissenting views on the newspaper side of things.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
brownjeanstravelingagg

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 9th, 2021, 3:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 2:13 pm
The thing I find interesting about Monson is that most everyone who loves something hates Monson - because chances are, he's criticized the thing you love. He criticizes everything he feels is worthy of scrutiny and criticism.

But isn't that the job of a journalist? I think the trouble with journalism today, is that there are far too few who are willing to criticize everything - even if it hurts them and their career. So what we get are a bunch of people playing like journalists, but are simply shills for an agenda.
He isn't a journalist, he is a columnist. He is paid to give his opinions.

Anyways, I don't worry tons about this. Working for the Church and for KSL are not the same thing. Many of the personnel there are not members at all, often station management.

KSL is no different than anyone else. They let people go all of the time, Scott Seager was a recent casualty. Doug Wright "retired" when they made a bunch of changes. Radio is a very tumultuous business, and long running hosts are not the norm.

Some of the very people let go often are rehired. Usually the Quorum of the 12 doesn't watch it really closely.

The exception is General Conference. I know a personal story of someone that messed up transitions from conference to a radio show, and he was shown the door the next Monday. All of the higher ups were listening, and it was the beginning of the end for him.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » October 9th, 2021, 5:05 pm

All I want to know is when is Des news going to fire Doug Robinson? That guys is a pos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author CaptainChaos for the post (total 2):
brownjeanstravelingagg

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 9th, 2021, 5:41 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 3:40 pm
brownjeans wrote:

Good point. I think my point is that most "journalists" are giving opinion disguised as journalism these days - with an agenda.
Gone are the days of true journalism. Maybe I'm romanticizing. Maybe true journalism never existed. Still, I miss the pretense.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 9th, 2021, 6:20 pm

brownjeans wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 5:41 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 3:40 pm
brownjeans wrote:

Good point. I think my point is that most "journalists" are giving opinion disguised as journalism these days - with an agenda.
Gone are the days of true journalism. Maybe I'm romanticizing. Maybe true journalism never existed. Still, I miss the pretense.
I think you are romanticizing. Yellow journalism and the muckrakers were very common in the late 19th century. Most papers were openly partisan. While they did bring around reforms, the investigative journalism clearly had an agenda.

As for Monson, who knows why he was let go. I don't know if I buy into the conspiracy theory since Patrick Kinahan posted a similar article on KSL.com.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50255213/pa ... ndary-host

It happens in radio, Al Lewis lost his play by play gig when the contract changed. I have been a victim of contract and business changes in my own employment.

What isn't being said is that Gordon Monson actually sold his share when 1280 changed ownership. He is quite wealthy because of it.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
brownjeans

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 9th, 2021, 7:33 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 5:05 pm
All I want to know is when is Des news going to fire Doug Robinson? That guys is a pos.

He is probably going to retire soon. He has been a reporter/columnist for the Deseret News for 43 years now. Gordon Monson will hang it up soon as well. Brad Rock and Kurt Kragthorpe did in just the past a few years. And those are just the sports guys, lots of news writers have also exited from the Tribune and Deseret News lately. Both have also laid a lot of people off over the past decade or so.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 9th, 2021, 10:14 pm

stang wrote:I’m not a Gordon Monson fan at all. It’s not because he’s said things that I disagree with or because he’s gone after my favorite team, I just find him obnoxious. He rubs me the wrong way and honestly I just think he’s kind of a dick.

That said, I don’t think that’s why he was fired, and I share his concerns about the future of sports radio in Utah. If KSL is run anything like the Des News is, I just can’t imagine what that will do to sports talk. Good sports radio is opinion-based, and the church doesn’t allow a whole lot of dissenting views on the newspaper side of things.
Or the life side of things.

Hail Aggies!

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » October 10th, 2021, 10:58 am

Chupamedia wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 10:57 am
I am fairly worried KSL and the Mormon church will make the zone into a sanitary BYU station. 1160 2.0
What?! Mormons would control* the† press‡ and publish stories§ that put them in a good light?¶ Never!

Footnotes
*Nauvoo ExpositorL https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... r?lang=eng
†Bonneville International
‡Deseret Digital Media
§Deseret News
¶KSL

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 10th, 2021, 11:03 am

Sandbox this, please 🥺

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 10th, 2021, 12:12 pm

USU78 wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 11:03 am
Sandbox this, please 🥺
Unfortunately, this was an informative thread about sports radio, hosts, and management changes that people decided to take off the rails...

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 10th, 2021, 12:30 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 12:12 pm
USU78 wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 11:03 am
Sandbox this, please 🥺
Unfortunately, this was an informative thread about sports radio, hosts, and management changes that people decided to take off the rails...
Unfortunate, indeed.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 11th, 2021, 7:36 am

Gordon should ask himself some tough questions. Gordon, why did you sell out for money? You wouldn't have lost control of the station if you weren't a sellout? Lucky him, he gets to whine about it all and take a huge chunk of change.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » October 11th, 2021, 10:00 am

CaptainChaos wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 1:58 pm
SeattleAg wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 1:38 pm
Media bias is not a Utah problem... If you live in Seattle like your handle suggests you ought to know that. I'm sad what has taken place with the media. Utah in some ways seemed to be holding out, but that is no longer the case.
This seems like kind of a strange reaction to my comment, but I guess I was ambiguous enough that people can see whatever they want in it. Without getting sandboxy, I will say that Seattle is not quite as portrayed in certain factions. Reality might be surprising to many.

Anyway, mostly I was referring to 1) LDS/BYU cultural dominance and 2) actually having this guy as a prominent media voice in the neighborhood. Though now that I think of it, my least favorite sports writer up here is also a Monson. Dori instead of Gordon tho.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic