(Kinda) funny article on Kibbie dome

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BamaAggie

(Kinda) funny article on Kibbie dome

Post by BamaAggie » October 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Plus a video of UI’s new basketball arena. I wonder if our Fball or BBall teams will ever play in Moscow again.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... st-stadium
These users thanked the author BamaAggie for the post (total 2):
BobWilsoncrazywookie

BobWilson

Re: (Kinda) funny article on Kibbie dome

Post by BobWilson » October 7th, 2021, 9:05 pm

As a WSU student in 1957, my first FB game on the Palouse was Oregon at Idaho. Those were the final years of Idaho as a member of the PCC. Oregon won 9-6 as i recall. the next week WSU beat Stanford in Pullman. I attended a number of Idaho games in Moscow over the next 4our years. The ones, usually Montana, late in November were brutal - weather-wise. some games drew all of 2,000 fans. the K-Dome was intended to make the late games more user-friendly, which it did, but at the cost of alienating not a small number of Vandal fans who insist the "football is meant to be played outside". The Dome was never good for basketball. They hung a curtain down the center of the Dome, put some temporary bleachers on the curtain side and used the permanent seating on the other side. it was a dismal place. The new facility look good and 4,000 is about right for Vandal BB.

Initially, after becoming a A-1 program Vandal fans dreamed of getting teams like BYU and better to come to Moscow which, of course, was a pipe-dream. Will the Aggies ever play there? Basketball perhaps but I surely hope not football. To do so would almost certainly mean that Aggie FB had dropped a division, perhaps even as a member of the Big Sky conference.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » October 8th, 2021, 8:03 am

BamaAggie wrote:
October 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm
Plus a video of UI’s new basketball arena. I wonder if our Fball or BBall teams will ever play in Moscow again.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... st-stadium
Football will not if we stay PBS and they are FCS.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 8th, 2021, 12:25 pm

the article says a number of times that it's one of a kind, but how different is it from the Minidome, er Holt Arena, in Pocatello?

I've been in the Minidome many times, and seen (but not been inside) the Kibbie once, so I may be off base in thinking that they're essentially the same

anyone know?

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm

It has been a long time, but I have been in both. I think the Kibbie Dome is bigger, but otherwise they are both potato cellars. Maybe there are architectural subtleties that distinguish the two, but I couldn't think of any. The are both hideous for music, which is mostly what I participated in there.
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post:
AGinNEIowa

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 8th, 2021, 3:36 pm

SeattleAg wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm
It has been a long time, but I have been in both. I think the Kibbie Dome is bigger, but otherwise they are both potato cellars. Maybe there are architectural subtleties that distinguish the two, but I couldn't think of any. The are both hideous for music, which is mostly what I participated in there.
Van Halen (Hagar) -Pokey on Oct 18, 1986 with Bachman Turner Overdrive opening. I wasn't sound savvy enough to realize how hideous it was for music, I loved that concert.

FireAg

Post by FireAg » October 10th, 2021, 5:14 pm

I’ve been in both in the past few years. I think they are the same size dome but have the field configured differently. The Holt arena in Pocatello puts the football field puts the field with the end zones under the rounded sides of the dome and the seats against the straight walls - I believe it allows them to seat about 10,000. The Vandals in Moscow turn the field so the end zones are against the straight walls and the spectators taper up to the rounded sides - it allows them to seat about 15,000, I believe. They are both decent places for late season HS football.

AGinNEIowa

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 10th, 2021, 6:09 pm

except for that whole asphalt covered by turf thing...
my brother played at the Minidome one year against Highland two weeks before playoffs then played there against Pocatello in first week of playoffs - he had rug burn scabs on his forearms from the first game still, and got an infection after the second game from getting more, deeper rug burns. it took a while for those to heal up!

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » October 11th, 2021, 11:15 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 3:36 pm
SeattleAg wrote:
October 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm
Van Halen (Hagar) -Pokey on Oct 18, 1986 with Bachman Turner Overdrive opening. I wasn't sound savvy enough to realize how hideous it was for music, I loved that concert.
Marching band in the Mini Dome was always a trial. The sound bounces around so much in there that we'd be playing with like four differently timed echoes of ourselves. I think for big concerts they hang enough curtains and whatnot to control the sound a bit. The Hampton Jazz Festival in the Kibbie Dome was loud, but at least coherent.
These users thanked the author SeattleAg for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Locked Previous topicNext topic