B12 expansion document for those intersted:

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
BeNo

B12 expansion document for those intersted:

Post by BeNo » October 5th, 2021, 1:23 pm

calaggie

Re: B12 expansion document for those intersted:

Post by calaggie » October 5th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Wow, if everyone has the same metrics for USU, we better hope the MWC sticks around forever. It seems like USU’s academic standing has slipped in recent years.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 5th, 2021, 2:58 pm

Yikes we weren't even in contention to even be sniffed at.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 5th, 2021, 3:01 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Yikes we weren't even in contention to even be sniffed at.
Did anyone expect or ever expect us to be? That seems pretty obvious to me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm

That’s pretty interesting stuff. So does Boise even have a prayer to get a Big12 invite? Based on this report they are fairly competitive in sports but oh my goodness are they ever scary low on all the academics scales. The final verdict in the report for qualified schools for BIG12 expansion had Boise on the bottom row in the “not on par” label. This is kind of funny actually.

Based on who they ended up inviting, sports (more specifically football) success was more important than academics but there is a minimum standard for academics that Boise just doesn’t meet. Not sure they ever were or ever will be a serious candidate.

On another note, when they ranked all the schools in the top two rows for combined academic and sports performance, BYU ranked higher than every school, including the Big12 schools. That will sure go to their heads!!

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm

Now my question is, who is Altimore Collins and Company and why should we care? While I agree that we aren't in the discussion for Big 12, what is the source here?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 5th, 2021, 3:59 pm

I'm not entirely sure I understand why academics are really considered when inviting someone to an athletics conference. As long as they meet NCAA requirements for academics, why does that really matter? Freaking hilarious that Boise State was #22 out of 22 considered.

https://ibb.co/XYSbPKb

Also, I wonder how much the fact that USU was not even considered is because it was obvious from the get-go that BYU would be the first call made.

Lastly, TTU better be thanking their lucky stars they're grandfathered in.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 5th, 2021, 7:25 pm

If the MWC is going to invite two more schools, why not try to get Rice and SMU?

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 5th, 2021, 7:39 pm

What would USU have scored if they had been considered? We need to schedule more big 12 schools and beat some of them so they take note

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 5th, 2021, 8:07 pm

We are where they have UNM and Wyoming essentially.

Also, this data shows Boise without a prayer for a generation or so
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 6th, 2021, 2:53 am

Sad to see how far behind USU really is, and it certainly does not lay out any hope for a brighter future. So, should USU just throw in the towel and dedicate more resources to stuff that will improve its sagging academic rankings, such as research?

It is fun to see how really small potatoes BYU and Boise are in terms of television viewership and overall fanbase. Just a few schools that are surprisingly higher than BYU in television viewership: Texas Tech, Indiana, Washington State, Indiana, Louisville, Baylor, and Iowa State. Clearly, as the chart on page 100 shows, BYU is a very minor player in the world of college football television. Yet they'd have you believe they are almost as big as Notre Dame.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 6th, 2021, 8:19 am

With the academics stuff, I think that there are a lot of criteria in the ratings that work against Utah State. We have a high acceptance rate because that is what we have been asked to do in the state. I think that is more a product of the state education system than a USU problem. We have no medical or legal schools, again something that has been prohibited by the State. We also are punished for our students going on ecclesiastic missions or getting married in the middle of their schooling. I think we have a ways to go academically, but I don't think we are nearly as bad as the ranking would suggest.

I do like to hear that Hartwell is focused on raising our other sports. I think that is important for this ranking as well. Ultimately, the reality is that we are in a weird position where we don't fit into the G-3 and we don't fit into the A-4/5. We are in no man's land with the AAC. We also have less advantages than the AAC. They have more population base, closer geography and perception. College football is heading somewhere that I don't want to go.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieAggie19BearLakeMonsterViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 6th, 2021, 10:24 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm
That’s pretty interesting stuff. So does Boise even have a prayer to get a Big12 invite? Based on this report they are fairly competitive in sports but oh my goodness are they ever scary low on all the academics scales. The final verdict in the report for qualified schools for BIG12 expansion had Boise on the bottom row in the “not on par” label. This is kind of funny actually.

Based on who they ended up inviting, sports (more specifically football) success was more important than academics but there is a minimum standard for academics that Boise just doesn’t meet. Not sure they ever were or ever will be a serious candidate.

On another note, when they ranked all the schools in the top two rows for combined academic and sports performance, BYU ranked higher than every school, including the Big12 schools. That will sure go to their heads!!

Or Memphis, the report is kind of scathing in that they paint both schools as "heavy commuter colleges" with no real achievements academically.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » October 6th, 2021, 11:03 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm
Now my question is, who is Altimore Collins and Company and why should we care? While I agree that we aren't in the discussion for Big 12, what is the source here?
https://www.altimorecollins.com/leadership

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 6th, 2021, 11:14 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 11:03 am
thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 5th, 2021, 3:33 pm
https://www.altimorecollins.com/leadership
So does he have any actual connection to the Big 12? The way I see it, it's a well-researched and detailed football fan describing what he thinks is important while not being behind closed doors and not having inside sources.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 6th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Furthering the "academics" conversation:

TL; DR Summary: Utah State's endowment stacks up very favorably in the MWC at #3 despite not having any professional schools. IMO, the next step for Utah State is to achieve R1 research classification. Boise State is also R2, but their endowment is less than Weber State's despite having a professional school. It is over $25 million less than the next lowest in the MWC (SJSU).

I don't know how much it was considered in this situation specifically, but a schools endowment is often considered when raking a school academically (and it allows for schools to do more research, etc).

Utah State has done some good work in the last 10-15 years on the endowment and is sitting in a good place compared to other MWC schools. However, increasing the Carnegie Research Classification to R1 would go a long way towards improving the schools' academic ratings. USU's lack of any professional schools hurts it in that regard, I expect. Getting a vet school would help out with the research stuff for sure...but there would need to be money and demand for it. That said, Rice and UNT show you can get to R1 without a professional school.

Here are the endowments of MWC institutions along with the type of school, research classification and professional schools (law, med, vet):

Wyoming: $555 million (flagship/land grant, R2 research classification, law school)
UNM: $442 million (flagship, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
Utah State: $427 million (land-grant, R2 research classification)
Colorado State: $393 million (land-grant, R1 research classification, vet school)
Nevada: $367 million (land-grant, R1 research classification, medical school)
San Diego State: $353 million (other, R2 research classification)
Hawaii: $327 million (flagship/land grant, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
UNLV: $305 million (flagship, R1 research classification,law and medical school)
Fresno State: $170 million (other)
San Jose State: $148 million (other)
Boise State: $113 million (other, R2 research classification, law school)
Air Force: N/A (Federal Gov. owned)

Names that have been thrown around during conference realignment:

Rice: $6.16 billion (other, R1 research classification, collab med school with Baylor)
SMU: $2.0 billion (other, R2 research classification, law school)
Tulsa: $1.0 billion (other, R2 research classification, law school)
Memphis: $221 million (other, R2 research classification, law school)
North Texas: $217 million (other, R1 research classification)
UTSA: $181 million (other, R2 research classification)

For interest sake:
Weber State: $155 million (other)
University of Utah: $1.07 billion (flagship, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
BYU: $1.97 billion (other, R2 research classification, law school)
Harvard: $41 billion (other, R1 research classification, law and medical school)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 6th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Slight correction - Boise does not have a law school. Instead, the Univ. of Idaho has a Boise location, which it took over from Concordia earlier this year. Idaho's Boise location was previously in an old courthouse. Apparently, BSU kicked the tires on Concordia but decided to not drive forward with it.

That said, Boise's endowment is pathetic. It is kind of surprising they didn't make a stronger push when the football team was more of a hot commodity to try and build that up (or they did and woefully failed). Stan Albrecht made a big push during his time as president to grow USU's endowment and was largely successful. It is crazy that in 1992, USU's endowment was only $7 million and increased to $80 million by 2000. The growth of the endowment over the last 20 years is very impressive.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
3rdGenAggie

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 6th, 2021, 1:45 pm

What is the rationale behind the Utah legislature blocking USU from having a med school or law school? I get why maybe it might have been an issue in 1907, when the restriction was first put in place. But in 2021, given the growth of the State, why on earth limit the State to one medical school, and one public law school? The State of Nevada has the same population as the State of Utah, and both UNLV and UNR have medical schools. Just seems like an unnecessary holdover from a hundred years ago, and very out of place for a State that otherwise seems to feel like there is a need for a University on every street corner.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 6th, 2021, 2:15 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 1:45 pm
What is the rationale behind the Utah legislature blocking USU from having a med school or law school? I get why maybe it might have been an issue in 1907, when the restriction was first put in place. But in 2021, given the growth of the State, why on earth limit the State to one medical school, and one public law school? The State of Nevada has the same population as the State of Utah, and both UNLV and UNR have medical schools. Just seems like an unnecessary holdover from a hundred years ago, and very out of place for a State that otherwise seems to feel like there is a need for a University on every street corner.
Who went to school with the Governor? Time to start calling. Makes no sense to me either.

The idea of a vet school makes too much sense. Not sure what a program like architecture would do, but I know my son was bummed he wouldn't be able to pursue that at USU. With the growing tech industry in Utah, I'm not familiar but is there some way to leverage that and become the leading technology school of the rockies? Focus on STEM, become that school in Utah, let's have the legislators make that happen (yeah, yeah, I know)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... jors-.html

Go Aggies!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 6th, 2021, 2:31 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 2:15 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
Who went to school with the Governor? Time to start calling. Makes no sense to me either.

The idea of a vet school makes too much sense. Not sure what a program like architecture would do, but I know my son was bummed he wouldn't be able to pursue that at USU. With the growing tech industry in Utah, I'm not familiar but is there some way to leverage that and become the leading technology school of the rockies? Focus on STEM, become that school in Utah, let's have the legislators make that happen (yeah, yeah, I know)
Instead, the state has allowed the empire builders at Utah Valley and Dixie to get their way and become Universities. Just wait until Snow University happens, or SL Valley U, not far behind.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » October 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 12:07 pm

TL; DR Summary: Utah State's endowment stacks up very favorably in the MWC at #3 despite not having any professional schools. IMO, the next step for Utah State is to achieve R1 research classification. Boise State is also R2, but their endowment is less than Weber State's despite having a professional school. It is over $25 million less than the next lowest in the MWC (SJSU).

I don't know how much it was considered in this situation specifically, but a schools endowment is often considered when raking a school academically (and it allows for schools to do more research, etc).

Utah State has done some good work in the last 10-15 years on the endowment and is sitting in a good place compared to other MWC schools. However, increasing the Carnegie Research Classification to R1 would go a long way towards improving the schools' academic ratings. USU's lack of any professional schools hurts it in that regard, I expect. Getting a vet school would help out with the research stuff for sure...but there would need to be money and demand for it. That said, Rice and UNT show you can get to R1 without a professional school.

Here are the endowments of MWC institutions along with the type of school, research classification and professional schools (law, med, vet):

Wyoming: $555 million (flagship/land grant, R2 research classification, law school)
UNM: $442 million (flagship, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
Colorado State: $393 million (land-grant, R1 research classification, vet school)
Hawaii: $327 million (flagship/land grant, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
UNLV: $305 million (flagship, R1 research classification,law and medical school)

Rice: $6.16 billion (other, R1 research classification, collab med school with Baylor)

For interest sake:
University of Utah: $1.07 billion (flagship, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
Harvard: $41 billion (other, R1 research classification, law and medical school)
USU does have a vet school. It is in conjunction with Washington State University, but USU handles admission, employs professors of veterinary medicine, and is eligible for competitive grants from it. The classwork is done in Logan and the clinical work is completed in Pullman. Both schools names appear on the degree upon completion. My source level on that was the current USU president when I asked her in a meeting.

https://www.usu.edu/degrees/index.cfm?id=211

There are rumors that they may add the facilities to make it a 4 year school and stop the partnership with WSU in the future. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » October 6th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

Utah pretty much is that for computer science. They helped pioneer 3d graphics (see the Utah teapot) and the internet (one of the 4 original nodes of arpanet in the 60s).

Aggies All the Way!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » October 6th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

Well...I actually did have a few classes with the current governor. But I didn't really know the guy, and I haven't lived in Utah in over 20 years. So yeah...I am not any help.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 6th, 2021, 3:06 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

For interest sake:
USU does have a vet school. It is in conjunction with Washington State University, but USU handles admission, employs professors of veterinary medicine, and is eligible for competitive grants from it. The classwork is done in Logan and the clinical work is completed in Pullman. Both schools names appear on the degree upon completion. My source level on that was the current USU president when I asked her in a meeting.

There are rumors that they may add the facilities to make it a 4 year school and stop the partnership with WSU in the future. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.
I knew about that but thought it was more of a "generals in Logan with auto-admission to WSU when the time comes" sort of deal. Hopefully the demand will be there for a full 4 year school at USU someday.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 6th, 2021, 3:09 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 3:05 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

Well...I actually did have a few classes with the current governor. But I didn't really know the guy, and I haven't lived in Utah in over 20 years. So yeah...I am not any help.
Cox is an Aggie, but he grew up a Zoobie and is a politician first. I would definitely say he's more Aggie than Zoob now, but probably still has some in him.

His wife is the born and bred Aggie. From what I understand he followed her to USU because that's where she was going regardless. What we need is for her to exert the pressure on him to exert pressure on the legislature. Haha.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 6th, 2021, 3:22 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 3:06 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 3:00 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

For interest sake:

I knew about that but thought it was more of a "generals in Logan with auto-admission to WSU when the time comes" sort of deal. Hopefully the demand will be there for a full 4 year school at USU someday.
I think with more money they can expand it easily, they already turn qualified students away.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic