This seems to happen with every new student housing complex

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

This seems to happen with every new student housing complex

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 10th, 2021, 2:47 pm

The latest new student housing complex, 800 Block, is not done yet or even close to being done, and several students are frustrated that after booking contracts for the school year, they now have to find housing somewhere else.
https://www.hjnews.com/news/local/hundr ... 99c8b.html

And this isn't the first time this has happened. The same thing happened with Central Suites, as that wasn't finished in time for the school year it was promised to be ready for, so they had to put students up in the towers. Then they first had told the students it would be done for Spring Semester, then it still wasn't done by then, then it was mostly done except for some finishing touches by the following school year.

I remembered this happening with the LLC, there being one whole school year with only 3 of the buildings done, so I googled to see if they ever intended for all 6 to be done, and sure enough, they did intend and take contracts for all 6 buildings the first school year, then had to move some of those students, then I think I remember even of the few that did get done for the first school year, students had to wait a month or so before moving in. Maybe some of you would remember this.

And this had probably happened with other complexes before that.

I do know Millennial Towers was good about being complete in time for the school year. And the companies we got for our new athletics facilities, Spindler with the North Endzone and Okland with the Press Box, were great at getting the projects done in time.

Aggie_CEE

Re: This seems to happen with every new student housing complex

Post by Aggie_CEE » August 10th, 2021, 5:52 pm

The lack of communication is inexcusable. I'm not surprised that they didn't finish on schedule, as that's not all that uncommon with large projects like this. The contractor knows when it will most likely be finished and has probably communicated that with the owner. I'm guessing the issue is with the owner/leasing office. Financing could be a huge issue at this point and they are probably scrambling trying to get their numbers to work.

FromLItoLogan

Post by FromLItoLogan » August 10th, 2021, 6:14 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2021, 2:47 pm
The latest new student housing complex, 800 Block, is not done yet or even close to being done, and several students are frustrated that after booking contracts for the school year, they now have to find housing somewhere else.
https://www.hjnews.com/news/local/hundr ... 99c8b.html

And this isn't the first time this has happened. The same thing happened with Central Suites, as that wasn't finished in time for the school year it was promised to be ready for, so they had to put students up in the towers. Then they first had told the students it would be done for Spring Semester, then it still wasn't done by then, then it was mostly done except for some finishing touches by the following school year.

I remembered this happening with the LLC, there being one whole school year with only 3 of the buildings done, so I googled to see if they ever intended for all 6 to be done, and sure enough, they did intend and take contracts for all 6 buildings the first school year, then had to move some of those students, then I think I remember even of the few that did get done for the first school year, students had to wait a month or so before moving in. Maybe some of you would remember this.

And this had probably happened with other complexes before that.

I do know Millennial Towers was good about being complete in time for the school year. And the companies we got for our new athletics facilities, Spindler with the North Endzone and Okland with the Press Box, were great at getting the projects done in time.
It's not even the first time with this company, this is the same company of the Aggie Factory fiasco where the same exact situation happened as well

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 10th, 2021, 8:59 pm

With the supply chain problems the COVID shutdown caused, I bet a lot of construction projects are behind schedule.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 10th, 2021, 9:52 pm

brownjeans wrote:
August 10th, 2021, 8:59 pm
With the supply chain problems the COVID shutdown caused, I bet a lot of construction projects are behind schedule.
True, but the company of this project has known for over a year about the type of problems that would result from the COVID shutdowns and figured out how to work around them, and had plenty of time to determine they would NOT have it completed in time for next school year and not lease out resident contracts.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » August 10th, 2021, 10:37 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2021, 9:52 pm
brownjeans wrote:
August 10th, 2021, 8:59 pm
True, but the company of this project has known for over a year about the type of problems that would result from the COVID shutdowns and figured out how to work around them, and had plenty of time to determine they would NOT have it completed in time for next school year and not lease out resident contracts.
Oh for sure they should have let people know the building wasn't going to be done.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » August 11th, 2021, 2:08 pm

brownjeans wrote:With the supply chain problems the COVID shutdown caused, I bet a lot of construction projects are behind schedule.
If supply chain due to COVID means not paying vendors and sub contractors, then yes, that was the problem.
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post (total 3):
brownjeansBustaMcNuttaggies22

Hail Aggies!

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 12th, 2021, 8:56 am

The lesson should be not to plan on living in a housing complex the first year it is scheduled to be open.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 13th, 2021, 1:21 am

I remember the Factory and not that pizza place in a basement. That place was being built for seemingly my entire post mission time in Logan.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 14th, 2021, 10:26 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 12th, 2021, 8:56 am
The lesson should be not to plan on living in a housing complex the first year it is scheduled to be open.
Yes, people should be wary of being the first to live in any new student complex. This is still unacceptable and embarrassing that this keeps happening though. Everybody should lock their bike, but if you don't lock your bike it doesn't mean it is acceptable to get stolen.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 15th, 2021, 5:51 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 14th, 2021, 10:26 am
swordsman1989 wrote:
Yes, people should be wary of being the first to live in any new student complex. This is still unacceptable and embarrassing that this keeps happening though. Everybody should lock their bike, but if you don't lock your bike it doesn't mean it is acceptable to get stolen.
Of course not. But if my bike is repeatedly stolen, and I still don’t buy a lock, then clearly I am failing to learn.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 15th, 2021, 11:04 pm

Also, when I was helping move cabinets into Millennial Towers, the subcontractor for the cabinets told me that going there was a breath of fresh air compared to the project he went to when he wasn't there which was an apartment complex in Orem, where it was a disorganized mess and all the trades in each other's way.

And one of the guys working on Millennial Towers was pissed at the University cause previously, he had went to one of the new housing complexes to make a repair he didn't want to go there for, got a parking ticket, then lost the appeals.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 15th, 2021, 11:19 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 5:51 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
Of course not. But if my bike is repeatedly stolen, and I still don’t buy a lock, then clearly I am failing to learn.
I would think that most students don't make the same mistake twice. And that the parents learn from it happening with the first kid to not do it with other kids. You would at least hope that everyone who went through this with the LLC advised their younger siblings to book for anywhere but Central Suites for 17-18, and those went through this with Central Suites would advise their younger siblings to book for anywhere but 800 Block for 21-22.

One memory I still have of my dad related to stuff getting stolen was I had on a hockey jersey before we were going to leave to go swimming for scouts at the Sky View Pool. He told me not to wear the jersey cause it could possibly get stolen out of the dressing room.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 16th, 2021, 6:44 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
Sure, there are two angles. If I had a kid of college age or was a student myself I would be very wary to go all in on the new hot complex that is being built. I'd wait and hope anyone else would wait until the thing is built before moving in.

But on the flip side, these places deserve the criticism for not being ready in time when they took money from people and said they would be good to go by the start of the school year.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 17th, 2021, 9:31 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 15th, 2021, 11:19 pm
swordsman1989 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
I would think that most students don't make the same mistake twice. And that the parents learn from it happening with the first kid to not do it with other kids. You would at least hope that everyone who went through this with the LLC advised their younger siblings to book for anywhere but Central Suites for 17-18, and those went through this with Central Suites would advise their younger siblings to book for anywhere but 800 Block for 21-22.

One memory I still have of my dad related to stuff getting stolen was I had on a hockey jersey before we were going to leave to go swimming for scouts at the Sky View Pool. He told me not to wear the jersey cause it could possibly get stolen out of the dressing room.
So did anyone steal the jersey? you left us all hanging!!!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 17th, 2021, 9:35 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 9:31 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

I took his advice and did not wear the jersey.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 17th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Dang...so much potential for a good story! :)

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 18th, 2021, 6:58 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

Was Blues sweater with all the nacho cheese sauce on it in perpetuity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 18th, 2021, 8:57 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
August 18th, 2021, 6:58 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:
swordsman1989 wrote:

Was Blues sweater with all the nacho cheese sauce on it in perpetuity?

Yeah, it was the Blues jersey.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 18th, 2021, 9:20 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 9:47 pm
I can assure that the jersey getting stolen from a locker would NOT have been a good story. I had for months been asking my mom to get me one cause I really wanted one, and I was of course at the time a kid that didn't have money for a replacement and it was fairly new And it would have been all the worse if I STILL wore it AFTER my dad told me not to followed by it getting stolen and my dad telling me that he told me so.

If it was one of your kids having something valuable disappear, you wouldn't be calling it a good story. Even if it was one of your young men that lost a pro jersey from a locker room when you guys went swimming, or anything else valuable from anywhere else when you guys do anything else, you would be calling it a sad story and feel bad for them, unless maybe it was a Jets #2 or Saints #7 jersey that a kid likes for a reason certain people would, but then again, maybe that would be bad cause the kid would probably blame you if he knows how you feel about the team someone would like if they would want one of those jerseys.

If you still consider it interesting when people lose valuable stuff, though it didn't happen with my jersey, I did once have a kid in my ward growing up lose a gameboy game or something like that he brought on a campout. And a kid that lost alot of magic cards that he brought to camp.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 19th, 2021, 11:05 am

I apologize for coming across as insensitive to a potential loss. I would have been very sad for my own child, as you point out. I've just come to appreciate your stories, and look forward to them.

Again, my apologies for being insensitive to that potential loss. I'm glad that you listened to your father.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » August 19th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Also, do you still have that jersey?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 19th, 2021, 2:32 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
August 19th, 2021, 1:17 pm
Also, do you still have that jersey?
Yes, I do still have the jersey. It has even been to a game in St. Louis and the olympics.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » August 19th, 2021, 2:34 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:
August 17th, 2021, 9:47 pm
I can assure that the jersey getting stolen from a locker would NOT have been a good story.
We’ve seen John Wick, we know how it would have ended.

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic