What Olympic events did you attend in 2002?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
GameFAQSAggie

What Olympic events did you attend in 2002?

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 8th, 2021, 9:55 pm

What Olympic Events did you get to attend in Salt Lake in 2002?

I went to two hockey games. I didn't get to go to the gold medal game like I wanted, but I did get to see the most interesting group stage games, involving Canada, Czech Republic, and Sweden. I knew someone who told me that the hockey game he went to costed less than the one I went to, but it costed less cause that game involved the less intriguing teams. I knew someone else who got a ticket to a quarterfinal hockey game. He thought he was getting the worst game when it was between Sweden and Belarus, but then Belarus upset Sweden so he got to see that and the shock of everyone.

My dad volunteered at the olympics. And my grandma and uncle came down and just saw the olympic square and a medals ceremony. A number of people as well just came to check out the olympic square but not go to any competition.

pilotaggie

Re: What Olympic events did you attend in 2002?

Post by pilotaggie » August 8th, 2021, 10:28 pm

Nothing in 02 but did go to Atlanta in 96. Saw soccer, track and field, beach volleyball and an equestrian event. We went to Olympic park the day before the bombing.

Had a blast and really want to do it again.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 8th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Had a blast huh?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyTrueBlue

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » August 8th, 2021, 10:41 pm

Didn't even think about that one. Not the most pc comment I've ever made!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
NVAggie

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 9th, 2021, 8:38 am

One thing that’s cool is that salt lake has actually maintained much of the Olympic infrastructure. I don’t know much that has been flat abandoned like I’ve seen with so many other places.

You see these world class facilities on TV- but then a few years later- it is crumbling to pieces. If you havent seen the photos of abandoned Olympic venues it’s fascinating, spooky and disheartening.

But it is cool that Utah has maintained it much better than nearly anyone else. I haven’t seen the abandoned Sydney venues, so maybe Sydney is doing well too.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » August 9th, 2021, 9:01 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
August 9th, 2021, 8:38 am
One thing that’s cool is that salt lake has actually maintained much of the Olympic infrastructure. I don’t know much that has been flat abandoned like I’ve seen with so many other places.

You see these world class facilities on TV- but then a few years later- it is crumbling to pieces. If you havent seen the photos of abandoned Olympic venues it’s fascinating, spooky and disheartening.

But it is cool that Utah has maintained it much better than nearly anyone else. I haven’t seen the abandoned Sydney venues, so maybe Sydney is doing well too.
You bring up one of the sad things about the olympics. All those resources tied into one event and then just forgotten about. I applaud SLC for making the most of those facilities. It is fun going to Kearns to the speedskating oval. I like skiing down the olympic runs at Snowbasin. I enjoy checking out the olympic displays at the diffferent ice rinks. Going down the bobsled run in Park City is good to do once. I like watching people ski jump into the pool there as well.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » August 9th, 2021, 9:02 am

also, I didn't attend anything in 2002. I was on the mission at the time. I didn't follow anything about the olympics that year.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 9th, 2021, 12:33 pm

The wife and I attending curling between the Swiss and Sweds. It was a lot of fun, very spirited match for the bronze medal.

Go Aggies!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 9th, 2021, 1:52 pm

sam tingey wrote:
August 9th, 2021, 9:01 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
August 9th, 2021, 8:38 am

You bring up one of the sad things about the olympics. All those resources tied into one event and then just forgotten about. I applaud SLC for making the most of those facilities. It is fun going to Kearns to the speedskating oval. I like skiing down the olympic runs at Snowbasin. I enjoy checking out the olympic displays at the diffferent ice rinks. Going down the bobsled run in Park City is good to do once. I like watching people ski jump into the pool there as well.
I went by the Olympic stadium in Helsinki when I was there. It was in a state of disrepair. I think they are renovating it now and giving it a re-birth of sorts.

Many cities lose money when hosting the Olympic games. I think SLC is one of the few that came out in the black, right?

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 9th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Too many to remember, had 2nd row VIP seats to the Men's snowboarding event, hung out and had a few beers with Kid Rock and his sister who were both right in front of us. Good times.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Locked Previous topicNext topic