N(Y)AR: That sound you hear...

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
OKAggie

N(Y)AR: That sound you hear...

Post by OKAggie » July 21st, 2021, 2:28 pm

.... is the pooping of pants in Stillwater, Lubbock, Manhattan, Ames, etc (and the rumble of Rolodexes in Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, Orlando, Fort Collins, Boise, San Diego, Las Vegas, etc...). From this afternoon at the Houston Chronicle online:
HOOVER, Ala. — A decade after major conference realignment shook up college football, big changes might again be on the horizon.

Texas and Oklahoma of the Big 12 have both reached out to the Southeastern Conference about potentially joining the powerful league, a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation told the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday.

An announcement could come within a couple of weeks concerning the potential addition of UT and OU to the league, the person said, which would give the SEC 16 schools and make it the first of a national super-conference.

Texas A&M exited the Big 12 nine years ago this month, and along with Big 12 ex Missouri gave the SEC 14 teams, which it has been at since. UT’s addition to the SEC would also mean the Aggies and Longhorns would again meet annually on the football field for the first time since 2011.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Nobody here knows anything.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: N(Y)AR: That sound you hear...

Post by USU78 » July 21st, 2021, 3:03 pm

Here's league membership:

Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West VA creates some problems should the Red River Rivals leave for Magnolia country. They've always been on an island, and with the TX/OK stronghold perhaps getting shoplifted, the center of gravity gets pulled north. What's to say the CUSA schools don't become B12 expansion targets rather than the MWC schools (which are quite outside the league footprint)? What makes Boazy, Fresno, the Suckdogs, and the Lammies a better choice for the then 8-member B12 than CUSA schools?

The biggest endowment holders in CUSA are Rice, Ala-Birmingham, Old Dominion, UJEP, UNC-Charlotte, and FAU. Of the most-often-mentioned-expansion-targets in MWC, only CSU (4th MWC) and SDSU (6th MWC) compare favorably with the financial stability of the listed CUSA schools.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

calaggie

Post by calaggie » July 21st, 2021, 3:15 pm

USU78 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 3:03 pm

Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia

West VA creates some problems should the Red River Rivals leave for Magnolia country. They've always been on an island, and with the TX/OK stronghold perhaps getting shoplifted, the center of gravity gets pulled north. What's to say the CUSA schools don't become B12 expansion targets rather than the MWC schools (which are quite outside the league footprint)? What makes Boazy, Fresno, the Suckdogs, and the Lammies a better choice for the then 8-member B12 than CUSA schools?

The biggest endowment holders in CUSA are Rice, Ala-Birmingham, Old Dominion, UJEP, UNC-Charlotte, and FAU. Of the most-often-mentioned-expansion-targets in MWC, only CSU (4th MWC) and SDSU (6th MWC) compare favorably with the financial stability of the listed CUSA schools.
Why would the B12 reach down to CUSA, with much better options in the AAC (and maybe even the ACC)?
These users thanked the author calaggie for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 21st, 2021, 3:56 pm

calaggie wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 3:15 pm
USU78 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 3:03 pm

Baylor
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
West Virginia

Why would the B12 reach down to CUSA, with much better options in the AAC (and maybe even the ACC)?
I expressed two thoughts there. Prolly should have made two paragraphs: WVU out on that island argues against MWC schools [your mention of AAC/ACC options which I leave implicit]; Even CUSA argues against MWC schools to the B12 [to demonstrate how ridiculous the Boazy/yBu to the B12 argument is]. From the B12 position, MWC = CUSA, and CUSA is in the footprint after all. So, we don't disagree.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 21st, 2021, 4:01 pm

The funny thing is that people might think that the SEC would be getting another Top 5 program by bringing in Oklahoma, but the reality is someone has to lose any given game, so either Oklahoma would have to lose to some of the teams at the top of SEC and have a less than stellar record, or the other teams like Auburn and LSU would have to lose to Oklahoma falling out of the top ten. It's like how Miami dominated the Big East, and people thought that the ACC would be more powerful adding national power Miami, but when Miami was actually competing in the ACC, they had more losses cause them or their opponent has to lose.

And Texas, they would REALLY have to get it turned around to compete in the SEC. They lose more Big 12 games than they should based on the resources they have, so they would really struggle to have a winning record in the SEC.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 21st, 2021, 5:18 pm

I'm sure Boise and BYU are both entirely confident they're call number 1, but I doubt it.

I think the Big 12 would add 4, Houston and UCF would for sure be their first calls and Cincinnati would probably be 3 (they're a great travel partner for WVU). Boise/BYU may be 4...assuming they don't care about flying the tennis and diving teams from Orlando and Morgantown to Boise.

If the Big 12 did only add 2, I can't imagine Boise would look at the AAC sans Houston, UCF as better than the MWC. Although I think they seriously believe any conference in the world is better than the one they're in.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » July 21st, 2021, 5:58 pm

It would be cool if the mwc and aac pillaged the big12 remnants. Not likely, but it’s be cool.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 21st, 2021, 6:59 pm

One thing that's for sure is if BYU went to the Big 12, that would be the end of them coming to Logan for football.

Full

Post by Full » July 21st, 2021, 8:33 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 5:58 pm
It would be cool if the mwc and aac pillaged the big12 remnants. Not likely, but it’s be cool.
Honestly, this could end up as a good thing for the Mountain West. If the Big12 takes the best AAC teams to replace Texas on Okahoma (I think they look east with West Virginia being an outlier) that leaves the Mountain West as a clear cut number one G5 conference. With the 12 team playoff expansion it's more conceivable the MW Champ is one six highest-ranked conference champions (also possible for the Big 12 to not get in).

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » July 21st, 2021, 11:01 pm

Full wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 8:33 pm
Honestly, this could end up as a good thing for the Mountain West. If the Big12 takes the best AAC teams to replace Texas on Okahoma (I think they look east with West Virginia being an outlier) that leaves the Mountain West as a clear cut number one G5 conference. With the 12 team playoff expansion it's more conceivable the MW Champ is one six highest-ranked conference champions (also possible for the Big 12 to not get in).
This is what I'm not understanding. Why would they leave the big 12 for a conference that would make it harder to get into the playoffs? I think something else is on the horizon that they can see coming.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggies All the Way!

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 12:27 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
July 21st, 2021, 11:01 pm
Full wrote:
This is what I'm not understanding. Why would they leave the big 12 for a conference that would make it harder to get into the playoffs? I think something else is on the horizon that they can see coming.
The money would be better, for starters. And that's the real goal.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Full

Post by Full » July 22nd, 2021, 8:49 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
Full wrote:
My $0.02

I agree there is something on the horizon. The NCAA sees it as well. The NCAA has been eroding, and Texas and OU might be interested in having a seat at the table in the conference that will likely set the standard others follow. I also think they get more $$$.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... form%3Damp

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » July 22nd, 2021, 11:32 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 12:27 am
dirtnsnow wrote:
Full wrote:
The money would be better, for starters. And that's the real goal.
I don't think that's the sole driver, though. I suspect it's more about separating the haves from the have nots even further in anticipation of breaking away from the NCAA altogether. What that will look like it's anyone's guess, but I can see it happening.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggies All the Way!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 2:18 pm

More speculation:

Oklahoma State to the PAC-12
Baylor to the Big East for Oly sports (parking FB in the AAC?)

The SEC only needs 11 schools to vote, Mizzu and A&M (former B12 members) are the two HELL NO'S. There's a "gentlemen's" agreement apparently, that says the SEC will only have ONE Texas school, but nothing legally binding.

I think the Big 12 is on it's way to becoming the AAC Part II sans any western schools.

No idea, I just keep hearing OSU to the PAC-12 as a possibility, the Conf. Commish had an interesting tweet this morning.
Last edited by ViAggie on July 22nd, 2021, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm

So, who else does the PAC-12 take with Okie State? Do they chase Kansas to get their basketball?

If the power brokers in the Big 12 go elsewhere, I guarantee BYU, Boise State and SDSU will go with Houston, Cincinnati and UCF to try and join the dregs of the Big 12 to try and keep it a P5 conference. I guaran-damn-tee that is the move those schools chase.

At that point, it's a battle between the MWC and AAC over who can convince leftovers to join.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 22nd, 2021, 5:02 pm

There's no such thing as a P5 conference anymore, though. Right?

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 23rd, 2021, 8:39 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 2:43 pm
So, who else does the PAC-12 take with Okie State? Do they chase Kansas to get their basketball?

If the power brokers in the Big 12 go elsewhere, I guarantee BYU, Boise State and SDSU will go with Houston, Cincinnati and UCF to try and join the dregs of the Big 12 to try and keep it a P5 conference. I guaran-damn-tee that is the move those schools chase.

At that point, it's a battle between the MWC and AAC over who can convince leftovers to join.
It will not be a P5 conference without their 2 best football
Programs or best basketball program- and potentially other successful programs that leave to other conferences.

Zero combination of current G5 schools and independents makes a power conference especially without Notre Dame as they would never join that confere
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic