caution - soccer

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
brownjeans
Flatulent

caution - soccer

Post by brownjeans » July 11th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Anyone watch the Mexico match yesterday? Hirving Lozano was bumped on a run into the box and tried to draw a penalty by diving to the ground. His dive drove his head right into the knee of the incoming Keeper. Dude is messed up from it.

I bet it won't teach him that he shouldn't take a dive.

These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
ViAggie

pilotaggie

Re: caution - soccer

Post by pilotaggie » July 11th, 2021, 11:19 pm

At least he was moving a bit. How bad is the injury? Yeah it was a dive but as far as soccer goes that wasn't a bad dive.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 12th, 2021, 5:33 am

A bunch of stitches, sprained neck. They say he may be out for six weeks or so.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » July 12th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Well glad it isn't worse that looked pretty ugly.

That follow up shot while half the team is standing around asking for a whistle was a good one that no one will remember. Unlucky it wasn't a goal.
These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 14th, 2021, 10:25 am

brownjeans wrote:
July 11th, 2021, 8:26 pm
Anyone watch the Mexico match yesterday? Hirving Lozano was bumped on a run into the box and tried to draw a penalty by diving to the ground. His dive drove his head right into the knee of the incoming Keeper. Dude is messed up from it.

Hate to break it to you, but that's not a dive. Hip checked from behind by a bigger dude. Also I can't stand the Mexican national team, so as much as I'd like this to be a dive, it's not.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
GeoAg

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 14th, 2021, 10:52 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:25 am
brownjeans wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but that's not a dive. Hip checked from behind by a bigger dude. Also I can't stand the Mexican national team, so as much as I'd like this to be a dive, it's not.
Soccer is a contact sport. A defender has the right to address a ball in motion the same as the player who put the ball in motion. As such defenders and attacking players often run side-by-side pushing each other to gain primary position in front of the ball. This was a bump from the side, not behind, and it wasn't even a strong bump. Size difference of the two players should not play into it.
The ref was right to not call a foul. The dude went to ground as soon as he felt contact and as fast as he could. He was trying to get a PK out of it. It's done all the time, often with much less, and even zero, contact.

Of course, I may have a bias, I played defense pretty much my entire sporting life. ;)
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 14th, 2021, 10:58 am

To be a foul a bump should have to be enough to throw the player off their path, if not it's just jostling for position.

My opinion of course, I'm not a soccer referee.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 14th, 2021, 11:07 am

brownjeans wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:52 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Soccer is a contact sport. A defender has the right to address a ball in motion the same as the player who put the ball in motion. As such defenders and attacking players often run side-by-side pushing each other to gain primary position in front of the ball. This was a bump from the side, not behind, and it wasn't even a strong bump. Size difference of the two players should not play into it.
The ref was right to not call a foul. The dude went to ground as soon as he felt contact and as fast as he could. He was trying to get a PK out of it. It's done all the time, often with much less, and even zero, contact.

Of course, I may have a bias, I played defense pretty much my entire sporting life. ;)
They weren't running side by side, though. Lozano was literally in between the ball and the defender, meaning that the defender cannot take a straight line to the ball or he will have encroached the attacker's space. I'd wager that if you had your balance shifted forward on your right leg, with the intent to lunge forward with your left leg (as Lozano does), and someone disrupted your balance and position of your left leg (like with a hip check) you are falling forward 10/10 times.

This happens instantaneously. If Lozano has reflexes that fast, he ought not to be on the field because soccer is reserved for humans, not aliens.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 14th, 2021, 11:27 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 11:07 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 14th, 2021, 10:52 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

They weren't running side by side, though. Lozano was literally in between the ball and the defender, meaning that the defender cannot take a straight line to the ball or he will have encroached the attacker's space. I'd wager that if you had your balance shifted forward on your right leg, with the intent to lunge forward with your left leg (as Lozano does), and someone disrupted your balance and position of your left leg (like with a hip check) you are falling forward 10/10 times.

This happens instantaneously. If Lozano has reflexes that fast, he ought not to be on the field because soccer is reserved for humans, not aliens.
Which defender? The defender on his left is the one who bumped him, and he bumped him from the side as he took an angle to the ball.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » July 14th, 2021, 4:52 pm

I'm with brown on this one. There is contact there but not enough to warrant a Superman style leap that occurred. There was no hip check at all. If that contact is enough to be a penalty of any kind then you cannot play defense.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 22nd, 2021, 11:29 am

My comment has nothing to do with the original post but it is about soccer, so here goes.

I admittedly know very little about soccer. To illustrate this point, i once thought that when seeing a box score from a soccer game showing a goal scored reported at 28', I took that to mean that it was shot from 28 feet away. Then I realized that it was scored in minute 28. To me, the more meaningful stat would be the distance from the goal the shot was taken. Why don't they report that along with the time at which the goal was scored? It would be much more descriptive. And if the goal was assisted, why don't they report who made the pass that led to the goal. Hockey does.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
brownjeans

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 22nd, 2021, 12:14 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 11:29 am
My comment has nothing to do with the original post but it is about soccer, so here goes.

I admittedly know very little about soccer. To illustrate this point, i once thought that when seeing a box score from a soccer game showing a goal scored reported at 28', I took that to mean that it was shot from 28 feet away. Then I realized that it was scored in minute 28. To me, the more meaningful stat would be the distance from the goal the shot was taken. Why don't they report that along with the time at which the goal was scored? It would be much more descriptive. And if the goal was assisted, why don't they report who made the pass that led to the goal. Hockey does.
Good points all - I have no idea. Soccer box scores have always seemed pretty useless.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 22nd, 2021, 3:24 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 12:14 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 22nd, 2021, 11:29 am

Good points all - I have no idea. Soccer box scores have always seemed pretty useless.
Yes. I find the boxscores as uninteresting as the games.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic