Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3412
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 21st, 2021, 8:55 am

I wonder how all of the March Madness money will be distributed to athletes after this. The NCAA loses again with the Sherman anti-trust law taking precedent. They say this will still be a model of amateurism, but that athletes can't be fairly compensated if money is awarded as an educational aid.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/politics ... index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/21/politics ... index.html



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 18201
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 957 times
Been thanked: 1037 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by NVAggie » June 21st, 2021, 9:17 am

This will just continue my declining interest in sports.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ViAggie



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3412
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 21st, 2021, 9:30 am

NVAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:17 am
This will just continue my declining interest in sports.
I don't know, the CF Playoff expansion and renewed some of my interest.

I truly don't have an issue with allowing athletes to get internships or own their image. That is going to be less than 1% of all student-athletes that will make anything on that. Most of them go pro in something other than sports anyways, even in football and basketball.

I wonder if this will increase living expenses or what will happen from the court proceedings.



Aggie84025
Posts: 3791
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 1348 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by Aggie84025 » June 21st, 2021, 9:37 am

The compensation has to be education related. I don't know if that means more computers etc or if monthly stipends will increase. I love college sports and certainly have no problems with the athletes getting treated fairly I just think it has gotten out of control. Throw in Title 9 things and the women's sports are going to start suing if they don't receive all the benefits that basketball and football players receive and this is going to be a huge mess.



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3412
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 21st, 2021, 9:44 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:37 am
The compensation has to be education related. I don't know if that means more computers etc or if monthly stipends will increase. I love college sports and certainly have no problems with the athletes getting treated fairly I just think it has gotten out of control. Throw in Title 9 things and the women's sports are going to start suing if they don't receive all the benefits that basketball and football players receive and this is going to be a huge mess.
They won't be able to sue if they can't sell their own likeness for what an All-American football player does.

I don't have a problem with the living stipends remaining equal if this truly is going to student-athletes in all sports. Football and men's basketball have always been the money makers for the schools, conferences, and NCAA, and that isn't going to change.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 5548
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 621 times
Been thanked: 1178 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 21st, 2021, 10:12 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:30 am
NVAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:17 am
This will just continue my declining interest in sports.
I don't know, the CF Playoff expansion and renewed some of my interest.

I truly don't have an issue with allowing athletes to get internships or own their image. That is going to be less than 1% of all student-athletes that will make anything on that. Most of them go pro in something other than sports anyways, even in football and basketball.

I wonder if this will increase living expenses or what will happen from the court proceedings.
I haven't studied the results of this yet so can't comment on the entire ramifications, but players absolutely should be able to profit off their own image. It is crazy and criminal they haven't been allowed to do so before.

You don't punish a theater major because they got a paid acting job while they're a student or a business major because they started a business while still in school. If Johnny Football can make a few grand selling autographs, more power to him.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Intermeddler



Aggie84025
Posts: 3791
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 1348 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by Aggie84025 » June 21st, 2021, 10:34 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:44 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:37 am
The compensation has to be education related. I don't know if that means more computers etc or if monthly stipends will increase. I love college sports and certainly have no problems with the athletes getting treated fairly I just think it has gotten out of control. Throw in Title 9 things and the women's sports are going to start suing if they don't receive all the benefits that basketball and football players receive and this is going to be a huge mess.
They won't be able to sue if they can't sell their own likeness for what an All-American football player does.

I don't have a problem with the living stipends remaining equal if this truly is going to student-athletes in all sports. Football and men's basketball have always been the money makers for the schools, conferences, and NCAA, and that isn't going to change.
For sure they can't sue for the name, image and likenenss portion. Do athletes from non-revenue currently get the same monthly stipends etc or is that only for revenue producing sports?



User avatar
ViAggie
Posts: 13492
Joined: June 16th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Location: Temecula, California
Has thanked: 1047 times
Been thanked: 629 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by ViAggie » June 21st, 2021, 11:13 am

This sucks, they've torpedoed college sports.


Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

User avatar
WAAggie
Posts: 2449
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:02 am
Location: Kent WA
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by WAAggie » June 21st, 2021, 12:29 pm

What sells to the public? We may have cheerleaders and women volleyball players making bank.



User avatar
NowhereLandAggie
Posts: 3412
Joined: November 8th, 2010, 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by NowhereLandAggie » June 21st, 2021, 12:37 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 10:34 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:44 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 9:37 am
The compensation has to be education related. I don't know if that means more computers etc or if monthly stipends will increase. I love college sports and certainly have no problems with the athletes getting treated fairly I just think it has gotten out of control. Throw in Title 9 things and the women's sports are going to start suing if they don't receive all the benefits that basketball and football players receive and this is going to be a huge mess.
They won't be able to sue if they can't sell their own likeness for what an All-American football player does.

I don't have a problem with the living stipends remaining equal if this truly is going to student-athletes in all sports. Football and men's basketball have always been the money makers for the schools, conferences, and NCAA, and that isn't going to change.
For sure they can't sue for the name, image and likenenss portion. Do athletes from non-revenue currently get the same monthly stipends etc or is that only for revenue producing sports?
My understanding is that it is the same regardless of sport or gender, but it depends on the school.

While it is some, it isn't tons. For example 2 years ago the highest in the SEC was Tennessee and it was $5,666 per year. Granted this was on top of the scholarship, but it isn't exactly a regular career salary. (One outside of pro sports even.) When I was an intern for 3 months in 2004 in college I was paid $2610. Multiply that by 2, and it is roughly equivalent to a stipend for the highest amount of an SEC school.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/colleg ... pends.html



User avatar
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff
Posts: 8154
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 pm
Location: The City of the Salty Lake
Has thanked: 1260 times
Been thanked: 515 times

Re: Supreme Court makes decision about college athlete compensation

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 21st, 2021, 1:55 pm

WAAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2021, 12:29 pm
What sells to the public? We may have cheerleaders and women volleyball players making bank.
OnlyFans, here they come.


"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic