KVNU sports and weather phone

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
dogie

KVNU sports and weather phone

Post by dogie » May 15th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Did anyone else used to call the KVNU sports and weather phone in the morning to get the previous night’s scores?

Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s, it wasn’t easy to get the evenings sports results without watching the live 10:00 pm news or waiting to the next afternoon to get the newspaper. I remember holding my breath for a moment as I opened the Herald Journal to see if the Red Sox won.

But the Herald Journal had only line scores, so I didn’t know how individual players fared unless I drove down to the 7-11 to pick up a USA Today for two bits, which I did regularly during the summer.

Anyway, KVNU solved some of that problem by having Al Lewis record the sports and weather reports and making it available at 752-KVNU. That allowed me to hear the scores at my convenience in the morning from the comfort of my home.

I still remember that one rec basketball league team named themselves “Al Lewis” just to mess with the KVNU sports report.
These users thanked the author dogie for the post:
USU78

GameFAQSAggie

Re: KVNU sports and weather phone

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 16th, 2021, 9:46 am

I can remember watching CNN Headline News for and ONLY for the sports ticker at the bottom, having no interest in the actual news stories. And making a point to be in front of the TV at 20 and 50 after the hour for headline sports.

When we didn't have the ability to track scores on the internet or find streams, and it was the NHL playoffs and my team, the Blues's game wasn't the one on ESPN, I would watch the game on ESPN mostly for the ticker with updates on the Blues game.

Also, during NFL season, I would use the phone in the church lobby to call a number for scores of the games, as looking on our phones wasn't an option back then!

Locked Previous topicNext topic