OT CBB: UMBC

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
umbc32244

OT CBB: UMBC

Post by umbc32244 » May 13th, 2021, 4:27 pm

I know us UMBC fans have been following the Odom/USU recruiting news, so thought I'd share what UMBC's been able to do since hiring Ferry for those interested - especially those who were scouting Rogers/Kennedy or watching old UMBC games to watch Horvath or RJ.

Both Rogers and Kennedy are returning to the team, and UMBC has been active in the portal the past few weeks, locking down...

PG Hakim Byrd from Marist - 8.4 PPG as a freshman. Quick guard who helped Marist to first winning season since 2008. Not great size but great quickness.

F Anyang Garang from Oklahoma - former 3-star commit from Uganda and Australia. Didn't see much time on a Top 25 OU team, but has an awesome story and has great potential for our conference.

G Ray Salnave from DePaul via Monmouth - should be an immediate impact (14-16 PPG) player back in a low mid major. Struggled first half of the season with DePaul but scored in double figures in 5 of last 10 games, including 21 vs. Creighton.

F Yaw Obeng-Mensah from Santa Fe College (JUCO). Averaged 12 & 10 in shortened JUCO season. Good athlete for America East (had offer from Texas State) but will need to improve percentages.

Hope some of you can 'adopt' UMBC like we plan to adopt USU. 'Odom' fam! :lol:
These users thanked the author umbc32244 for the post (total 6):
Aggie19USU78aggies22SlumJumosuaggieflying_scotsman2.0

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: OT CBB: UMBC

Post by USU78 » May 13th, 2021, 5:04 pm

You are always welcome!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
umbc32244

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dogie

Post by dogie » May 13th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Are Retrievers fans happy with Ferry and these recruits? It looks like your team might be pretty deep this year.

I would say that UMBC seems to be uniquely positioned to recruit from the portal and have been more successful with their recruiting than the Utes!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 13th, 2021, 7:04 pm

I'm pretty sure the old coaching staff contacted Ray Salnave the first time he hit the transfer portal.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
umbc32244

umbc32244

Post by umbc32244 » May 13th, 2021, 8:03 pm

dogie wrote:
May 13th, 2021, 7:01 pm
Are Retrievers fans happy with Ferry and these recruits? It looks like your team might be pretty deep this year.

I would say that UMBC seems to be uniquely positioned to recruit from the portal and have been more successful with their recruiting than the Utes!
From who've I've talked to (including our board) it's been generally positive. A bit of concern about some of the shooting percentages that these new pieces bring, but bringing some more experienced portal players to pair with Rogers and Kennedy gives us the best chance to keep the program's momentum going. UMBC is also the perfect place for a raw, former Top 500 kid like Garang to play and gain some experience and confidence. If he plays well enough to jump back up a level in a few years that will be a major W for both the program and player.

Locked Previous topicNext topic