Not a good look for youth FB

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Not a good look for youth FB

Post by ViAggie » May 12th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Not a good look for youth FB

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 12th, 2021, 6:08 pm

I love watching football, but my kids will be playing other sports.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GoldcoastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by GoldcoastAggie » May 12th, 2021, 6:25 pm

There are lots of bad coaches out there in youth football. I've coached before and have seen some horrendous things still being taught.
These users thanked the author GoldcoastAggie for the post:
aggies22

stang

Post by stang » May 12th, 2021, 10:07 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 12th, 2021, 6:08 pm
I love watching football, but my kids will be playing other sports.
Agreed. Watching the Junior Seau documentary did it for me.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 12th, 2021, 10:15 pm

Who is the asshat who laughs? This is child abuse.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
aggies22

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 13th, 2021, 8:01 am

They should teach the kid to not overrun the ball carrier. That will get you plowed most of the time.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 13th, 2021, 10:00 am

It's difficult to teach kids sports of any kind when they have limited to no exposure on how games are played and what they are supposed to do. It makes it more difficult when you have a disparity in size, speed, and aggressiveness between the kids. I remember when my oldest son was playing in a pee wee football league and having to explain that the kid that is not going full speed is usually the one that gets hurt. Many kids will pull up and recoil in anticipation of contact with a larger or more aggressive kid. These are the ones that take the brunt of the collisions. This is especially true if they have not been fully taught what to do or how to tackle.

In this video, the kid with the ball is obviously a little bigger, faster, and more aggressive. The tackler looks tentative and hesitant and he gets bulled over. The "adults" overseeing this really get a charge out of watching a little kid get flattened. I don't get this mentality at all.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 19th, 2021, 3:02 pm

I'm torn because my youngest wants to play one more year of youth FB before he's off to HS. I was happy to have him take a year off for covid, I think he needed the break, but he's anxious to get back out there. The bad part is that he's fearless, he loves playing LB and he loves to blitz. Scary stuff.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm

My dad talked to me before I started to play football. He told me to not play unless I really loved it and that I played without fear. He told me to play 100% right to the whistle. If you don't, you are more likely to get injured. When I started to play, I found a real love for the game. I actually had less injuries in football than I did in basketball.

I had the same discussion with my son recently. He looked at me and said, "Dad, I'm too tender-hearted to play football."

Obviously, he is his mother's son.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ViAggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 20th, 2021, 1:09 pm

NVAggie wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm
My dad talked to me before I started to play football. He told me to not play unless I really loved it and that I played without fear. He told me to play 100% right to the whistle. If you don't, you are more likely to get injured. When I started to play, I found a real love for the game. I actually had less injuries in football than I did in basketball.

I had the same discussion with my son recently. He looked at me and said, "Dad, I'm too tender-hearted to play football."

So true. I see kids out that that don't belong. A team my son was on about four seasons ago, we had this kid who got to play the position he wanted because "Mommy" was the team mom. Everyone we played knew to run the ball to this kid because he wouldn't tackle them. It would piss the team off, but they hesitated to get on him in fear of the wrath of mommy. Finally one of the coaches told the kid "you hear that? They are telling the running back to run it to you! TAKLE!" and that was it, mommy yanked her son and went home, never to return.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 20th, 2021, 2:37 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 3:02 pm
I'm torn because my youngest wants to play one more year of youth FB before he's off to HS. I was happy to have him take a year off for covid, I think he needed the break, but he's anxious to get back out there. The bad part is that he's fearless, he loves playing LB and he loves to blitz. Scary stuff.
Yeah, I'll steer my kids away from football, but if the kid is passionate about it and really wants to play, it will be hard as a parent to say no. Given that he will be going on football road trips to watch the Aggies, it would also send him mixed messages. "Hey son, we're going to be flying to Utah to watch the Aggies, plus road games here and there and bowl games, but this game I'm dragging you all over the country to watch, you are forbidden to play it!"

Hopefully he will just want to play other sports.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » May 20th, 2021, 2:42 pm

ViAggie wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 1:09 pm
NVAggie wrote:
May 19th, 2021, 3:28 pm

So true. I see kids out that that don't belong. A team my son was on about four seasons ago, we had this kid who got to play the position he wanted because "Mommy" was the team mom. Everyone we played knew to run the ball to this kid because he wouldn't tackle them. It would piss the team off, but they hesitated to get on him in fear of the wrath of mommy. Finally one of the coaches told the kid "you hear that? They are telling the running back to run it to you! TAKLE!" and that was it, mommy yanked her son and went home, never to return.
The coach did that mom a favor. She can save her money and her sweet child will not get hurt.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
ViAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 20th, 2021, 2:44 pm

Yeah I don't begrudge her for not wanting her son to play a violent game, but if you are going to sign your kid up to play football, you have to let him play football.

Locked Previous topicNext topic