Mantua

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Tetonkatest

Mantua

Post by Tetonkatest » April 28th, 2021, 3:05 pm

https://www.fox13now.com/news/fox-13-in ... ng-tickets

Mantua police chief says he was fired for not writing enough speeding tickets
These users thanked the author Tetonkatest for the post:
USU78

Mr. Sneelock

Re: Mantua

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 28th, 2021, 3:44 pm

Yeah, Mantua is a mess right now.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 28th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Is it a different cop than from the 00's? Cause that guy had no problem pulling every car over who even thought about speeding.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 28th, 2021, 4:01 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 3:48 pm
Is it a different cop than from the 00's? Cause that guy had no problem pulling every car over who even thought about speeding.
He thankfully retired.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 28th, 2021, 4:04 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 4:01 pm
He thankfully retired.
Yeah when I was in school if you wanted a conversation starter with a girl or basically anybody, all you had to do was bring up how much the Mantua cop sucks and you were good to go.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 28th, 2021, 4:08 pm

I'm not a huge fan of relying almost solely on people speeding to fund your city.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 28th, 2021, 4:23 pm

My one and only moving violation came at the hands of RoboCop in Mantua.

I was working as an intern for UDOT on the highway expansion/re-grade project between Brigham City and Mantua at the time. I was heading home from work through Sardine Canyon when I get the red lights behind me just passing Mantua. I know I wasn't speeding because I knew exactly where the speed limit changes from the "construction zone" to the "end of construction" zone were having worked on that highway all summer. He asks to see my license and registration. I tell him my registration is in a box behind the seat of my truck and I will need to get out of the truck to retrieve it. I then tell him there is also a loaded shotgun behind the seat of my truck. He tells me "That is okay. Go ahead and grab the registration. If I can't draw my pistol before you pull out the shotgun that's my fault." It was a different time back then. My instance of white privilege, I suppose.

Traffic school at the Mantua courthouse is a story for a different day.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
USU78Aggie formerly in Hawaiimcaggie1

Eutaw St. Aggie

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » April 28th, 2021, 7:58 pm

I was always very careful driving through Mantua and fortunately never got stopped. But I still have two favorite stories about people being pulled over in Mantua. One was the Logan City police chief being pulled over in a marked police car. The chief was so pissed that he looked up Robocop's radar certification and found that it had expired a few months earlier. The chief said either drop the ticket or he would tell everyone who received a ticket after the expiration about it. The ticket was dropped.

The other involves Judge Willmore about 20 years ago telling a group of Scouts about getting pulled over while he was driving to Brigham City for judicial duties. The cop came up to the car and quickly realized he pulled over a judge and profusely apologized. Judge Willmore had to talk the cop into giving him a ticket and not let him off just because he was a judge.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 28th, 2021, 9:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 4:23 pm
My one and only moving violation came at the hands of RoboCop in Mantua.

I was working as an intern for UDOT on the highway expansion/re-grade project between Brigham City and Mantua at the time. I was heading home from work through Sardine Canyon when I get the red lights behind me just passing Mantua. I know I wasn't speeding because I knew exactly where the speed limit changes from the "construction zone" to the "end of construction" zone were having worked on that highway all summer. He asks to see my license and registration. I tell him my registration is in a box behind the seat of my truck and I will need to get out of the truck to retrieve it. I then tell him there is also a loaded shotgun behind the seat of my truck. He tells me "That is okay. Go ahead and grab the registration. If I can't draw my pistol before you pull out the shotgun that's my fault." It was a different time back then. My instance of white privilege, I suppose.

Traffic school at the Mantua courthouse is a story for a different day.
Mantua was basically a fascist state for a long time. Anyone who disrespected that dictator is ok in my book as well as most people. As mentioned before, I literally made friends at USU by bringing up how horrible the Mantua cop was. He was terrible. I regret not fighting the bogus ticket he gave me. I was also in the car a few other times with people who got tickets from that jackass.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » April 29th, 2021, 7:27 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 4:01 pm
He thankfully retired.
it was bad in the early 90's when I was a student as well.

I was in Logan in Feb this year for my son's wedding - made 2 separate trips to SLC to pick up other children flying in (Wed evening and Thur morning). Of those 4 trips through Mantua a cop was sitting there once.

the article says the mayor used to be the police chief. is it the same guy?
Johnson also used to be Mantua’s police chief. He declined an interview request. In an email, he acknowledged Mantua has long relied on citations to fund its police.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 29th, 2021, 7:31 am

April 28th, 2021, 9:55 pm
Mantua was basically a fascist state for a long time. Anyone who disrespected that dictator is ok in my book as well as most people. As mentioned before, I literally made friends at USU by bringing up how horrible the Mantua cop was. He was terrible. I regret not fighting the bogus ticket he gave me. I was also in the car a few other times with people who got tickets from that jackass.
It wouldn't have done you any good to fight it. They have a municipal court. The hand-picked cop writes the tickets, the hand-picked judge convicts. It's two ends of the same scam - one is the setup man, the other the closer. Only way you would have won is if you'd have taken it to a higher court - and when does that happen for a speeding ticket?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » April 29th, 2021, 7:42 am

I got a ticket from Robocop once. He even talked fast and wrote the ticket super quickly so he could get to the next one. It was about 3 minutes from lights on to me pulling back out into traffic.

The entire town was funded with traffic tickets.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 29th, 2021, 7:44 am

Robocop parked on the blind corner. The new cops parked on the edge of the town catching north lund traffic. If you’ve gotten a ticket in Mantua you’re an idiot. Robo days, slow down on the hill. Last ten years slow down through town. Simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
sstrasser

Hail Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 29th, 2021, 8:52 am

brownjeans wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 7:31 am
April 28th, 2021, 9:55 pm
It wouldn't have done you any good to fight it. They have a municipal court. The hand-picked cop writes the tickets, the hand-picked judge convicts. It's two ends of the same scam - one is the setup man, the other the closer. Only way you would have won is if you'd have taken it to a higher court - and when does that happen for a speeding ticket?
Oh no doubt Mantua was a fascist state with a kangaroo court, but sometimes you fight anyway. Have you heard of the North Korean People's Liberation Front? They have no chance of actually overthrowing the Kim dictatorship in North Korea, but they are on the right side of history for fighting it.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
brownjeans

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » April 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm

When I was at USU in the mid 1990s, there was an article in USAToday where Mantua was rated the second worst speed trap in the entire country. I always drive at least 5 below the speed limit when going through there. Often closer to ten below. Fortunately I only go through there about once or twice per year now.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiBLUERUFiO

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 29th, 2021, 6:00 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm
When I was at USU in the mid 1990s, there was an article in USAToday where Mantua was rated the second worst speed trap in the entire country. I always drive at least 5 below the speed limit when going through there. Often closer to ten below. Fortunately I only go through there about once or twice per year now.
There was often a highway patrolman near the top of the hill north of Mantua to pick up those that were trying to make up for lost time slowing down through town. Near the UDOT yard where they store the sand/gravel for snow removal.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 29th, 2021, 6:12 pm

As much as robocop in the truck sucked, people do come out of the canyon really fast and it is a small town.

And although I’m sure people get pulled over for relatively small amounts over- if you’re at all familiar with the area you know to be very careful coming over that hill. Yet, people still speed and by a lot.

There are speed limits in Utah that if I drove out here, I’d be for sure arrested.

cval

Post by cval » April 29th, 2021, 8:36 pm

I always slow down through Mantua. Never been stopped. I figure it is their town and I should respect that they want people to slow down going through it.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 29th, 2021, 9:01 pm

cval wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 8:36 pm
I always slow down through Mantua. Never been stopped. I figure it is their town and I should respect that they want people to slow down going through it.
“One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggieFBObsession

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » May 1st, 2021, 5:53 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:Is it a different cop than from the 00's? Cause that guy had no problem pulling every car over who even thought about speeding.
What is it with college towns and a nearby small town on the way to games having cops who pull everyone over for 4 mph over the limit?

Here at WSU, it is Colfax. They even warn people on the PAC-12 network to stick to 25 mph until you are outside city limits.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 2nd, 2021, 10:42 am

jpswensen wrote:
May 1st, 2021, 5:53 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:Is it a different cop than from the 00's? Cause that guy had no problem pulling every car over who even thought about speeding.
What is it with college towns and a nearby small town on the way to games having cops who pull everyone over for 4 mph over the limit?

Here at WSU, it is Colfax. They even warn people on the PAC-12 network to stick to 25 mph until you are outside city limits.

Speed traps are common in small towns as a way to make money. The Mantua cop isn't exactly solving murder cases. He has one job, to harass drivers passing on the highway through his town. Other towns are like this too. In Virginia, I'm never pulled over for speeding in or near the city, but go out to Shenandoah and some small town cop will get you going a few miles over on a country road with no other car in site.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » May 2nd, 2021, 12:30 pm

anyone ever been through Jordan Valley, OR? on US 95 southwest of Boise....
when I was a kid, living in the SF bay area, we would take that route to Boise from Winnemucca.
Dad got a ticket at least twice (2-in-a-row is the sure memory) coming down the hill into town for not slowing to the city limit before the sign. It's still a running joke in the family!

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » May 3rd, 2021, 6:29 am

AGinNEIowa wrote:
May 2nd, 2021, 12:30 pm
anyone ever been through Jordan Valley, OR? on US 95 southwest of Boise....
when I was a kid, living in the SF bay area, we would take that route to Boise from Winnemucca.
Dad got a ticket at least twice (2-in-a-row is the sure memory) coming down the hill into town for not slowing to the city limit before the sign. It's still a running joke in the family!
That would be the great town of Jackpot. I almost got a ticket there but the guy behind me was going faster than me and was a better catch.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 3rd, 2021, 11:22 am

I live by a few rules when it comes to driving:

1. Never speed in town, especially on the highway through town.
2. Never be the fastest person on freeway.

I've had 3 speeding tickets in my life, two when I was 16, one speeding through the town of Hur-eh-kun. I learned my lessons quick.
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22NowhereLandAggie

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » May 3rd, 2021, 11:39 am

ViAggie wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 11:22 am
I live by a few rules when it comes to driving:

1. Never speed in town, especially on the highway through town.
2. Never be the fastest person on freeway.

I've had 3 speeding tickets in my life, two when I was 16, one speeding through the town of Hur-eh-kun. I learned my lessons quick.
Words of wisdom here, everyone. I always call the fastest person on the freeway the "sacrificial lamb" and I really appreciate those precious souls.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
ViAggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

GUS

Post by GUS » May 3rd, 2021, 4:25 pm

I call the fastest person the "decoy." They attract the cops first.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
ViAggie

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » May 4th, 2021, 7:01 am

GUS wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 4:25 pm
"Cop bait"
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
ViAggie

Aggies All the Way!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » May 4th, 2021, 1:11 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 7:01 am
GUS wrote:
May 3rd, 2021, 4:25 pm
"Cop bait"
I always get a kick out of the morons I see weaving in and out of traffic like they are in need a bathroom, I always see them pulled over by either the Highway Patrol or ICE further up the freeway within minutes. It's all those guys look for, irradick driving behavior, dead giveaway.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » May 4th, 2021, 2:28 pm

I’m old school and call them “a rabbit”. A few months ago I got behind a rabbit going 110 in an 85 and sure enough he got pulled over and I was free to keep going. I kept my distance on that one but it lasted for a good 30 minutes.
These users thanked the author ... for the post:
ViAggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 4th, 2021, 4:31 pm

Best response to a cop when he asks "do you know how fast you were going?

"Officer, I have no idea, I was going so damn fast I didn't dare take my eyes off the road to look at the speedometer."

Post by ... » May 4th, 2021, 4:49 pm

"as fast as a speeding ticket"

Post by ... » May 4th, 2021, 4:56 pm

anyways, in the spirit of keeping this post about Mantua... it sucks, don't speed, robocop is a fart, and I vaguely remember hooking up with a girl who grew up there after a night at the White Owl. I also remember some guy who ran into a cougar, killed it, outside of Mantua, and I know someone who lost her life driving in the snow near Mantua, many years ago. Sad story, froze to death.

Whats the name of that old gravel road just north of Mantua that takes you into town? Ive driven at 60 on that little gravel road many of times. is that still around?

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » May 4th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Never been pulled over in or around Mantua. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even seen someone pulled over there. I've just had to take all of your words for it with regards to robocop, et al.

Also, interesting little fact. They don't say it anywhere, but those "Speed Limit" signs you see are supposed to be an upper limit. Who knew, right?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 4th, 2021, 6:59 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 5:45 pm
Never been pulled over in or around Mantua. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever even seen someone pulled over there. I've just had to take all of your words for it with regards to robocop, et al.

Also, interesting little fact. They don't say it anywhere, but those "Speed Limit" signs you see are supposed to be an upper limit. Who knew, right?
I knew. That is the maximum allowable speed under ideal driving conditions. Driving in bad weather, fog, night, into the sun, or any other conditions of reduced visibility or less than optimum road conditions the speed should be reduced.

Eutaw St. Aggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 7th, 2021, 10:12 am

I had to change a tire in Sardine during a white-out blizzard. The storm was so bad that Highway Patrol shut down the road. I could see them stopping traffic at the bottom of the hill. After struggling with the tire, a cop crawled past me and I tried to get him to stop. I didn't need help but I wanted to ask him if I should stay put or try driving down the hill. He eyed me over and just kept going.......

When I got back to Logan. I walked into the house and my roommates erupted into laughter. I looked like an artic survivor windblown and snow burned.

Locked Previous topicNext topic