Mantua

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Mantua

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 7th, 2021, 5:48 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:12 am
I had to change a tire in Sardine during a white-out blizzard. The storm was so bad that Highway Patrol shut down the road. I could see them stopping traffic at the bottom of the hill. After struggling with the tire, a cop crawled past me and I tried to get him to stop. I didn't need help but I wanted to ask him if I should stay put or try driving down the hill. He eyed me over and just kept going.......

When I got back to Logan. I walked into the house and my roommates erupted into laughter. I looked like an artic survivor windblown and snow burned.

I had a similar situation. Not in Mantua, but in the middle of nowhere fixing a tire in the cold. Definitely a memorable experience. Luckily I haven't had a flat since. If I do, I hope it is in the Summer.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
El Sapo

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 7th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 5:48 pm
El Sapo wrote:
May 7th, 2021, 10:12 am
I had to change a tire in Sardine during a white-out blizzard. The storm was so bad that Highway Patrol shut down the road. I could see them stopping traffic at the bottom of the hill. After struggling with the tire, a cop crawled past me and I tried to get him to stop. I didn't need help but I wanted to ask him if I should stay put or try driving down the hill. He eyed me over and just kept going.......

When I got back to Logan. I walked into the house and my roommates erupted into laughter. I looked like an artic survivor windblown and snow burned.

I had a similar situation. Not in Mantua, but in the middle of nowhere fixing a tire in the cold. Definitely a memorable experience. Luckily I haven't had a flat since. If I do, I hope it is in the Summer.
I had one in Phoenix - but it was the 180 degree pavement. I still have scars from the second degree burns I suffered on my hands and knees when I knelt down to position the bottle jack under the frame of the truck. Highway patrolman pulled up just as I mounted the spare and was ready to drive off. Asked if I needed help. He was 20 minutes late - probably sat back and watched me do the work and then pulled up.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiEl Sapo

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » May 9th, 2021, 7:56 am

Looks like Mantua hired a new Police Chief that was terminated from his job in West Jordan, obviously no background check done.

https://kutv.com/news/local/did-mantua- ... XKOBHIjgiI

Way to go Mantua

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 9th, 2021, 8:30 am

Mantua shouldn't have it's own police. Just pay the country sheriff like other small, sleepy towns.
Last edited by brownjeans on May 9th, 2021, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » May 9th, 2021, 9:21 am

Aggieiester wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 7:56 am
Looks like Mantua hired a new Police Chief that was terminated from his job in West Jordan, obviously no background check done.

https://kutv.com/news/local/did-mantua- ... XKOBHIjgiI

Way to go Mantua
I’m very confused by that uhaul, dead body, stolen vehicle
Story.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 9th, 2021, 12:12 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 8:30 am
Mantua should have it's own police. Just pay the country sheriff like other small, sleepy towns.
I don't know, I might want to apply. Seems like a pretty chill job, doing nothing but harassing and stealing money from college kids and other passerbyers who aren't aware of your town's draconian traffic laws
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
brownjeans

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 10th, 2021, 10:50 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 9th, 2021, 8:30 am
Mantua shouldn't have it's own police. Just pay the country sheriff like other small, sleepy towns.
But then how would the town be funded?!?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 10th, 2021, 11:07 am

So here is the General Budget for the past two fiscal years as well as the present year:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... FY2021.pdf

The biggest revenue stream in town is through property taxes ($283,713) . A very close second is under the heading "Fines/Forfeitures", which I would assume includes speeding tickets ($180,000 budgeted for 2021 -- that is a lot of speeding tickets!). The largest annual expenditure in town is for the police department ($195,000 budgeted for 2021). It would appear that the town would come out ahead if they just got rid of the police department and let the highway patrol or county sheriff's department patrol speeding on the highway.

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 10th, 2021, 9:15 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 10th, 2021, 11:07 am
So here is the General Budget for the past two fiscal years as well as the present year:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... FY2021.pdf

The biggest revenue stream in town is through property taxes ($283,713) . A very close second is under the heading "Fines/Forfeitures", which I would assume includes speeding tickets ($180,000 budgeted for 2021 -- that is a lot of speeding tickets!). The largest annual expenditure in town is for the police department ($195,000 budgeted for 2021). It would appear that the town would come out ahead if they just got rid of the police department and let the highway patrol or county sheriff's department patrol speeding on the highway.
Wow... If google is right, Mantua has a population of ~700? They're spending 700k to 1mil per year? River Heights has triple the population, and their government spends ~700k per year. I think Mantua has a serious over-government problem.
Another example. Newton, UT is about the same number of people. Has a reservoir like Mantua. They spend ~400k on their government.

I'm reminded of a time I sat on the board for a charity. We were reviewing the revenue and expenditure and I looked at the administrative expenses and thought, are we mostly just sustaining our own existence or are we providing an actual service to people?
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic