Randy Spetman put in Hall of Fame

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NowhereLandAggie

Randy Spetman put in Hall of Fame

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 14th, 2021, 3:13 pm

At the Air Force Academy. I haven't heard much about him since his job at Florida State ended.

https://goairforcefalcons.com/news/2021 ... class.aspx

Also put into the NACDA Hall of Fame in 2017, mainly for his time at FSU.

https://nacda.com/news/2017/5/22/NACDA_ ... Class.aspx

He did oversee some of the pre-planned projects here and did some fundraising, but he demoted Romney Stadium's size, and hired Brent Guy. Definitely a mixed legacy.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Randy Spetman put in Hall of Fame

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 14th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Interesting. He obviously impressed some people with his fundraising and administrative work to get the Florida State job. He then made the tough, but necessary decision to push Bowden out and promote Jimbo Fisher which won FSU a national title the last year Spetman was at FSU.

You are right about Brent Guy and when I think of Spetman, I'll think of Guy. At the end of the day for me, I am going to judge the AD by how good of a job they do in finding the right coach for Men's basketball and Football. That isn't to say other sports and other issues aren't important, but those are the biggest things in judging an AD for me. He didn't need to hire a basketball coach. Stew Morrill had the ship rocking and rolling during those years. He did hire a football coach who while recruited some great players, overall did a poor job at USU going 9-38 which I believe is the worst record for a coach in USU history. Even with the good players he left for Andersen, it still took Andersen to year 3 to dig out of the hole Guy left the program in.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 14th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 4:40 pm
Interesting. He obviously impressed some people with his fundraising and administrative work to get the Florida State job. He then made the tough, but necessary decision to push Bowden out and promote Jimbo Fisher which won FSU a national title the last year Spetman was at FSU.

You are right about Brent Guy and when I think of Spetman, I'll think of Guy. At the end of the day for me, I am going to judge the AD by how good of a job they do in finding the right coach for Men's basketball and Football. That isn't to say other sports and other issues aren't important, but those are the biggest things in judging an AD for me. He didn't need to hire a basketball coach. Stew Morrill had the ship rocking and rolling during those years. He did hire a football coach who while recruited some great players, overall did a poor job at USU going 9-38 which I believe is the worst record for a coach in USU history. Even with the good players he left for Andersen, it still took Andersen to year 3 to dig out of the hole Guy left the program in.
To be completely fair, the program had been in the dump for years before Guy, he just didn't really do much with it to turn anything around.

I look at a lot of things, though coaching hires are a big one. I would say one of his biggest successes was augmenting the fundraising and the NEZ facility was completed while he was here.

I know he wasn't completely responsible, but they did name an auditorium after him. The facility plans and improvements were probably his biggest contribution.

https://www.hjnews.com/sports/spetmans- ... e0ba3.html
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » April 14th, 2021, 6:41 pm

He was at USU when I was. My friends who were athletes seemed to like him. He had that military style but they felt he was good to them. Congrats to Spetmam.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 14th, 2021, 6:57 pm

Not entirely Aggie related, but Chris Hill was inducted in 2020.

As much as I don't care for his actions over the past 10 years, I suppose that is well deserved.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/nacda.com/docu ... of2020.pdf

Glen Tuckett from BYU was inducted in 1995.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 14th, 2021, 10:53 pm

In all fairness, when we hired Brent Guy, I'm not so sure any coach we hired, who we could have afforded and who would have wanted to come here, would have done too much better. Yeah, you can argue that someone else would have done better than a 9-38 record which I would agree with, but a different coach who was more open to taking JuCo guys for the quick fix would have likely still been fired when Guy was, just by at least getting to 3 or 4 wins each year as opposed to 1 or 2.

Whoever we hired instead of Guy would have had to deal with not having the NEZ facilities the first two years, a low budget for recruiting, and having limited choices for assistants.

Randy did take care of the facilities problem with has proven to be a bigger problem than who the coach is.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 15th, 2021, 9:00 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 10:53 pm
In all fairness, when we hired Brent Guy, I'm not so sure any coach we hired, who we could have afforded and who would have wanted to come here, would have done too much better. Yeah, you can argue that someone else would have done better than a 9-38 record which I would agree with, but a different coach who was more open to taking JuCo guys for the quick fix would have likely still been fired when Guy was, just by at least getting to 3 or 4 wins each year as opposed to 1 or 2.

Whoever we hired instead of Guy would have had to deal with not having the NEZ facilities the first two years, a low budget for recruiting, and having limited choices for assistants.

Randy did take care of the facilities problem with has proven to be a bigger problem than who the coach is.
Have you heard of a guy named Chico Canales?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 15th, 2021, 10:24 am

April 15th, 2021, 9:00 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

We will never know how it would have worked out if he was chosen. The reality is we thought at the time, Brent Guy's resume was good. Maybe Chico would have at least kept us winning 3 games a year and being a few plays away from a few more wins, as opposed to the nosedive Brent Guy too in years 2 and 3. Maybe Chico still gets fired after 2008, or maybe he does a little better to last until 2010 or 2011. But either way, the facilities problem needed fixed which Randy did fix.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 15th, 2021, 11:16 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 10:24 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

We will never know how it would have worked out if he was chosen. The reality is we thought at the time, Brent Guy's resume was good. Maybe Chico would have at least kept us winning 3 games a year and being a few plays away from a few more wins, as opposed to the nosedive Brent Guy too in years 2 and 3. Maybe Chico still gets fired after 2008, or maybe he does a little better to last until 2010 or 2011. But either way, the facilities problem needed fixed which Randy did fix.
Hindsight is 20-20, and the truth is Chico has only been an interim coach. I doubt he would have been able to turn everything around, but that is simply speculation.

Besides the unknown medical issues Brent Guy was suffering from, he seemed like a good hire at the time. He had been a defensive coordinator at several schools, his defenses were fairly successful, he had recruited in the region, and had even coached at USU once. For the money that was there at the time, he was probably the most qualified choice.

I think that he could have won more games, he was recruiting to the WAC instead of to independence, he had shovels in the ground building the NEZ and could have sold kids on that, and also could have opened his schemes up a little more than the 70's Big 10 football he was trying to push in Logan.

An athletic director certainly is in charge of hiring the best coaches, but they do whiff sometimes. Byron Anderson or Ryan Odom might not work out, but they might. For every team that wins 90% of its games, there is a team that wins 10%, this is truly a zero-sum business. An Athletic Director's main responsibility is fundraising and giving coaches the resources they need to win.

In 2004 when he took the helm, the Athletic Budget was around $8 million, it was around $14 million or so. As I stated earlier, I think he had a mixed, but positive impact.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Spetman was over-ridden on his plans for Romney Stadium physical facilities. The money over-rode him. He was permitted to do minor painting and head some volunteer work. He is not the father of the NEZ. The notion is laughable.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » April 15th, 2021, 2:24 pm

USU78 wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Spetman was over-ridden on his plans for Romney Stadium physical facilities. The money over-rode him. He was permitted to do minor painting and head some volunteer work. He is not the father of the NEZ. The notion is laughable.
I don’t agree, I think he did everything he could to build the NEZ. He also did everything possible to build the third floor, when we couldn’t afford it, and got funding from Stan selling the idea of an academic hall. It was much better than that silly south end zone facility on stilts that Pugmire planned.

Has thanked: 0

Post by ... » April 15th, 2021, 2:25 pm

He was also 10x better than Pugmire, that guy was clueless.
These users thanked the author ... for the post:
USU78

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 15th, 2021, 3:10 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 11:16 am

Besides the unknown medical issues Brent Guy was suffering from, he seemed like a good hire at the time. He had been a defensive coordinator at several schools, his defenses were fairly successful, he had recruited in the region, and had even coached at USU once. For the money that was there at the time, he was probably the most qualified choice.

I think that he could have won more games, he was recruiting to the WAC instead of to independence, he had shovels in the ground building the NEZ and could have sold kids on that, and also could have opened his schemes up a little more than the 70's Big 10 football he was trying to push in Logan.
He also had an idea which you could kind of respect and thought sounded good when he talked about it at his press conference, but his tenure showed that it doesn't work at Utah State. He tried to build by mostly recruiting freshmen and going after few JC kids, building for the long term instead of the short term fix, and the conversation during his dismal second year was that we were young, and I was arguing that as much as anyone at the time. But the reality is we are going to get higher caliber of JC kids than freshman kids.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Sorry Gamefaqs, but Chico is awesome. You make Chico your HC, you win a ton of games.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 15th, 2021, 5:37 pm

... wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 2:25 pm
He was also 10x better than Pugmire, that guy was clueless.
The amazing part to me is what has happened to USU athletics over the past generation. During our independent years the budget was a out $5-6 million. The SBC, then the WAC, then the MW came along.

USU's budget was very similar to NMSU's and Idaho's coming into the WAC in 2004. Today NMSU's is about $20 million, while USU is projected to be at $39 million for 2019. Idaho was about $21 million. The conference revenues and sponsorships have grown a lot over the past 15-16 years and the MW membership certainly has helped in that regard. As much as I don't care for the University of Utah, them leaving for the PAC-12 and BYU going independent was the best thing long term for USU.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 15th, 2021, 7:40 pm

April 15th, 2021, 4:40 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:

Sorry Gamefaqs, but Chico is awesome. You make Chico your HC, you win a ton of games.
That's funny!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 16th, 2021, 6:12 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
April 14th, 2021, 5:28 pm
April 14th, 2021, 4:40 pm

To be completely fair, the program had been in the dump for years before Guy, he just didn't really do much with it to turn anything around.

I look at a lot of things, though coaching hires are a big one. I would say one of his biggest successes was augmenting the fundraising and the NEZ facility was completed while he was here.

I know he wasn't completely responsible, but they did name an auditorium after him. The facility plans and improvements were probably his biggest contribution.

https://www.hjnews.com/sports/spetmans- ... e0ba3.html
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I cant stand the NEZ. I at least wish it was further back so that we could get some more seats behind the end zone (with the NEZ over those seats) ... it was basically giving up on our school ever expanding for the sake of a building that doesn't really need to be there.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » April 16th, 2021, 8:42 am

Good point. While I do not see the need for those seats anytime soon, it easily could have build in some premium seats that probably would have been used, or even move the band there on some bleachers.

Something that still could have had the NEZ with a view of the field, and functional for fan enjoyment too.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » April 16th, 2021, 9:47 am

Aggiefan33 wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 8:42 am
Good point. While I do not see the need for those seats anytime soon, it easily could have build in some premium seats that probably would have been used, or even move the band there on some bleachers.

Something that still could have had the NEZ with a view of the field, and functional for fan enjoyment too.
I once thought the same thing, but I changed my mind upon further reflection. Assuming we get to the point where Stadium expansion is necessary, the South End Zone or East side could easily handle those types of additions.

Many of the views in the NEZ building are a premium ticket, so they did add on for that.

Assuming that expansion into the NEZ is necessary after expanding the other spots, I would say that by that time, they could simply tear it down and replace it. The University of Texas did a similar thing at the Darrell Royal Stadium.

However, this is decades away and by this point the building would likely need major renovations in the first place.

I don't think there is any single factor that led USU to 8 bowl games in the past 10 years after having only 2 in the 50 before than that particular improvement. The West Side suites and the weight room certainly helped as well.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
Intermeddler

Gljflyfloater

Post by Gljflyfloater » May 22nd, 2021, 6:07 pm

One more comment re Brent Guy. I think he was the coach that recruited a number of the players that USU had during the First Gary Anderson Coaching stint. Didn’t Brent Guy recruit Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin and some of the other greats that seemed to blossom under Gary Anderson?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 23rd, 2021, 9:06 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:

After struggling for two seasons, the guy after Brent Guy went for the quick fix with JuCo and transfer guys.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 23rd, 2021, 9:12 am

Gljflyfloater wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 6:07 pm
One more comment re Brent Guy. I think he was the coach that recruited a number of the players that USU had during the First Gary Anderson Coaching stint. Didn’t Brent Guy recruit Bobby Wagner, Robert Turbin and some of the other greats that seemed to blossom under Gary Anderson?
He recruited a few guys that turned out to be superstars. That can't be denied. However the argument that Gary won with Guy's recruits is a silly one. Brent Guy left a very flawed program that would take Gary to year 3 to get to a winning record and year 4 to produce a great team. Looking at the 2011 team offensively, the first to have a winning season at USU in 15 years, you had Turbin who was a Guy recruit. Otherwise the production was all Andersen players; Keeton and Kennedy at QB, Smith and Kerwynn at RB, Morrison, Jacobs, Van Leeuwen and Austin at Wide Receiver. Guy found a few good ones, but was not a good recruiter or program builder. There is a reason USU was his last HC job.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » May 23rd, 2021, 9:30 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 23rd, 2021, 9:06 am
After struggling for two seasons, the guy after Brent Guy went for the quick fix with JuCo and transfer guys.
And that is pretty much what we have to do here. The kids we are able to get here as JuCos and transfers are going to be, on average, higher caliber than the guys we sign as freshmen. Alot, if not all, of the kids we were ablt to get to transfer, we would have never won a recruiting battle for them as a freshman.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 23rd, 2021, 9:38 am

May 23rd, 2021, 9:12 am
Gljflyfloater wrote:
He recruited a few guys that turned out to be superstars. That can't be denied. However the argument that Gary won with Guy's recruits is a silly one. Brent Guy left a very flawed program that would take Gary to year 3 to get to a winning record and year 4 to produce a great team. Looking at the 2011 team offensively, the first to have a winning season at USU in 15 years, you had Turbin who was a Guy recruit. Otherwise the production was all Andersen players; Keeton and Kennedy at QB, Smith and Kerwynn at RB, Morrison, Jacobs, Van Leeuwen and Austin at Wide Receiver. Guy found a few good ones, but was not a good recruiter or program builder. There is a reason USU was his last HC job.
It definitely doesn't matter much or maybe even at all but Brent Guy recruited Stanley Morrison as well.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 23rd, 2021, 11:15 am

aggies22 wrote:
May 23rd, 2021, 9:38 am
Gljflyfloater wrote:
It definitely doesn't matter much or maybe even at all but Brent Guy recruited Stanley Morrison as well.
You are right. I didn't remember Morrison from the Brent Guy days, but it looks like he actually played every game and started a few in 2008. My bad.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 23rd, 2021, 1:40 pm

May 23rd, 2021, 11:15 am
aggies22 wrote:
Gljflyfloater wrote:
You are right. I didn't remember Morrison from the Brent Guy days, but it looks like he actually played every game and started a few in 2008. My bad.
It's all good my Aggie brother!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 23rd, 2021, 2:02 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 23rd, 2021, 1:40 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Gljflyfloater wrote:
But what if Chico coached Morrison? NFL first rounder?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 23rd, 2021, 2:46 pm

May 23rd, 2021, 2:02 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 23rd, 2021, 1:40 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Gljflyfloater wrote:
But what if Chico coached Morrison? NFL first rounder?
I think that's a given.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Locked Previous topicNext topic