NCAA vs athletes supreme court case going badly for the NCAA

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
jpswensen

NCAA vs athletes supreme court case going badly for the NCAA

Post by jpswensen » March 31st, 2021, 10:07 am

Early indications are that the Supreme Court justices seem to be skeptical of the NCAA argument (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/31/supreme ... -case.html)

So, how does this affect G5 schools, especially considering that the difference between playing in a P5 vs a G5 could be tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars differences in during-college compensation?

How do rules look regarding "summer internships" with boosters during the summer between high school and college to incentivize choosing one school over another?

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Full

Re: NCAA vs athletes supreme court case going badly for the NCAA

Post by Full » March 31st, 2021, 12:40 pm

Everyone sees the problem of coaches making millions while the athletes get a scholarship and a small stipend. The problem comes when trying to keep a level playing field. When players start getting paid, the same teams will always be on top because they will pay better. Even in the Mountain West the gap between Boise and San Jose isn’t going to close. The worst case scenario would be the NCAA turning into something like a professional league where different divisions (conferences) having different rules.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 31st, 2021, 2:43 pm

jpswensen wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 10:07 am
Early indications are that the Supreme Court justices seem to be skeptical of the NCAA argument (https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/31/supreme ... -case.html)

So, how does this affect G5 schools, especially considering that the difference between playing in a P5 vs a G5 could be tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars differences in during-college compensation?

How do rules look regarding "summer internships" with boosters during the summer between high school and college to incentivize choosing one school over another?
That question in your 2nd paragraph is really the biggest elephant in the room. How will this effect G5 teams? This decision I believe could turn college athletics upside down. If the ruling is unlimited player compensation then that will probably be the doom of the G5 at least most of them. A new classification would probably be established like it was for FBS and FCS for G5 teams. If restrictions are given then G5 might stay intact with the rest of FBS.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 31st, 2021, 3:07 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 2:43 pm
jpswensen wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 10:07 am

That question in your 2nd paragraph is really the biggest elephant in the room. How will this effect G5 teams? This decision I believe could turn college athletics upside down. If the ruling is unlimited player compensation then that will probably be the doom of the G5 at least most of them. A new classification would probably be established like it was for FBS and FCS for G5 teams. If restrictions are given then G5 might stay intact with the rest of FBS.
I know in the past that they've talked about having to pay all athletes the same stipend too. Doesn't matter if your sport makes money or not. If that happens I think we could see a lot of sports hit the chopping block.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 31st, 2021, 3:13 pm

I anticipate this will ultimately help the handful of athletes at the very top at the expense of hundreds, maybe thousands, of lower level athletes.

Best case scenario is probably a split of the P5 and G5 with different rules/payment structures for each division. All worthy G5 athletes will be immediately poached by P5, but that'll be the way it goes. G5 will be feeder programs for P5 and P5 will be feeder programs for the pros.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 31st, 2021, 3:18 pm

What is the legal question that would compel pay for athletes?

I’ve often see scotus be fairly hesitant to force private organizations to do anything.

I see it as ncaa can set their own rules. It’s no more violating anti-trust than the nfl does with pro football or other leagues.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » March 31st, 2021, 3:41 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 3:13 pm
I anticipate this will ultimately help the handful of athletes at the very top at the expense of hundreds, maybe thousands, of lower level athletes.

Best case scenario is probably a split of the P5 and G5 with different rules/payment structures for each division. All worthy G5 athletes will be immediately poached by P5, but that'll be the way it goes. G5 will be feeder programs for P5 and P5 will be feeder programs for the pros.
I will say this. G5 and FCS programs are the closest thing college sports has to amateurism. P5 schools have destroyed amateurism. Just look at the players filing complaints. Are they from G5 schools? No, they are from P5 schools. I don't mind G5 and top level FCS teams creating a separate subdivision because it's not like I felt USU was being deprived of a possible national championship in the FBS level anyways. I knew that was a fantasy pipe dream. My fear is TV exposure. Will I be able to watch them play on TV, and will the school's athletics get solid TV money to at least compete in the other sports? If they do, then I'm ok with a split.
These users thanked the author Aggiealum13 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 31st, 2021, 4:45 pm

Here's how it goes:

The eventual dissolution of intercollegiate athletics. It is an unsustainable model given the amount of money involved and the overwhelming disparity in resources between the haves and the have nots.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
brownjeans3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 31st, 2021, 7:52 pm

Aggiealum13 wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 3:41 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 31st, 2021, 3:13 pm

I will say this. G5 and FCS programs are the closest thing college sports has to amateurism. P5 schools have destroyed amateurism. Just look at the players filing complaints. Are they from G5 schools? No, they are from P5 schools. I don't mind G5 and top level FCS teams creating a separate subdivision because it's not like I felt USU was being deprived of a possible national championship in the FBS level anyways. I knew that was a fantasy pipe dream. My fear is TV exposure. Will I be able to watch them play on TV, and will the school's athletics get solid TV money to at least compete in the other sports? If they do, then I'm ok with a split.
Football absolutely should have a G5 champion. With the current system it is next to impossible to even make the playoff to compete for a national title let alone win the title. I would have no problem if the G5 conferences had their own playoff and crowned a G5 champion.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 1st, 2021, 6:36 am

If the NCAA goes pro- the ncaa should realize that no one cares about the minor leagues and nfl competitors tend to not last very long. What I like about college sports is that it isn’t professional sports. If the ncaa turned into a less talented nfl why would I watch more ncaa?
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic