Shawn Bradley is paralyzed

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
NowhereLandAggie

Shawn Bradley is paralyzed

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 17th, 2021, 6:59 pm

He had a big frame to be sure, and he was hit by a car when he was out cycling.

He is doing physical therapy, it has got to be hard to retrain limbs that long. Hope he makes a full recovery, that is a rough injury to have.

I didn't realize his dad died after falling off a roof. It is one of the top 2-3 most dangerous jobs in America. I saw both of them once just after Bradley got back from his Australian mission.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50128077/fo ... eorge-home

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Shawn Bradley is paralyzed

Post by USU78 » March 17th, 2021, 7:03 pm

That's a d@mned shame

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 17th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Wow, devastating. I met him once in St George. He was a nice guy. Wish him the best and hope he recovers.

GUS

Post by GUS » March 17th, 2021, 7:40 pm

That's awful. Never met the guy, and know he was a zoob for a year, but don't wish that kind of tragedy on anyone.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 17th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Met him at Disneyland, of all places. He was really nice.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 18th, 2021, 10:31 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 17th, 2021, 6:59 pm

He is doing physical therapy, it has got to be hard to retrain limbs that long. Hope he makes a full recovery, that is a rough injury to have.

I didn't realize his dad died after falling off a roof. It is one of the top 2-3 most dangerous jobs in America. I saw both of them once just after Bradley got back from his Australian mission.

Shawn’s father, Reiner, was a laboratory technician at the medical clinic in Castle Dale. My work took me there, late 70’s and early 80’s. One of my favorite people. The accident that killed him had to be home related...not work related.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 18th, 2021, 10:48 am

Shawn is good people. I'm sorry to hear this news. I played sports against Shawn in high school. He played baseball one year. We had a pitcher walk him - and we never let him live that down. How do you walk a 7'4" (at that time) strike zone? He and his wife have a tough road ahead of them, but they seem to have positive attitudes and are dealing with this well so far.

Eutaw St. Aggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 18th, 2021, 10:58 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:31 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

Shawn’s father, Reiner, was a laboratory technician at the medical clinic in Castle Dale. My work took me there, late 70’s and early 80’s. One of my favorite people. The accident that killed him had to be home related...not work related.
I am sure it was.

Even with professionals more people are killed on the job roofing than all but 2-3 other professions.

I actually found of the 10 most dangerous jobs in America, I have done 5-6 of them.

Life is precious as this story shows, you never know if something life altering is going to take place.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 18th, 2021, 12:06 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 10:58 am
mcaggie1 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

I am sure it was.

Even with professionals more people are killed on the job roofing than all but 2-3 other professions.

I actually found of the 10 most dangerous jobs in America, I have done 5-6 of them.

Life is precious as this story shows, you never know if something life altering is going to take place.
Reiner Bradley's accident was at his home. He fell off a roof or ladder working on his roof/rain gutters. Tragic.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 18th, 2021, 12:28 pm

I'm not old enough to remember Shawn at BYU but when I was a kid they had a "Mormon Night" at a Clippers game against the 76ers and after the game Shawn Bradley spoke to all of the church members there and then met with them. It's really the only memory I have of him but he seemed like a great guy. Wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Hopefully he can make the best of it.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 18th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 18th, 2021, 12:06 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

I am sure it was.

Reiner Bradley's accident was at his home. He fell off a roof or ladder working on his roof/rain gutters. Tragic.
Sorry, need to clarify my wording. I meant, "I am sure it was {a home accident, not work related.}"

Nevertheless two tragic accidents.
These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
Yossarian

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 20th, 2021, 3:16 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

I am sure it was.

Well if was work related, then Reiner took on a second job or retired early from his technician job. He was one of my clients for years.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 20th, 2021, 5:03 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:16 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

I am sure it was.

Well if was work related, then Reiner took on a second job or retired early from his technician job. He was one of my clients for years.
See the post right above this.
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
Sorry, need to clarify my wording. I meant, "I am sure it was {a home accident, not work related.}"

These users thanked the author NowhereLandAggie for the post:
mcaggie1

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 20th, 2021, 5:36 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 5:03 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
March 20th, 2021, 3:16 pm
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

I am sure it was.

See the post right above this.
NowhereLandAggie wrote:

Sorry, missed that. My bad
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
NowhereLandAggie

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » March 22nd, 2021, 4:27 am

Very sorry to hear this and wishing him all the best. He was in my aunt and uncle’s ward in New Jersey when he was with the Nets, and they had very nice things to say about him.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 24th, 2021, 9:42 pm

I have never had a chance to meet him, but from all accounts he is a great guy. This is really tragic.

I haven't heard anything about his prognosis going forward, but hoping for the best.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 25th, 2021, 6:39 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 9:42 pm
I have never had a chance to meet him, but from all accounts he is a great guy. This is really tragic.

I haven't heard anything about his prognosis going forward, but hoping for the best.
A little update on the accident, condition remains the same.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/3/22/ ... st-georgeA

Locked Previous topicNext topic