NBA All Star Game

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

NBA All Star Game

Post by Yossarian » March 7th, 2021, 10:13 pm

I haven't watched an NBA All Star game for at 15 years and probably much more than that. I didn't watch today's game either. Having said that..... 170-150?!? Has the All Star game jumped the shark?

What is the point? There is no defense. Just announce an all Star team. Let the guys get in a room and yuck it up. Maybe shoot around in the gym. Pat themselves on the back for being good players. Heck, even being some cameras into the gym so they can be on TV. Then be done with it. The game is an embarrassment to competitive basketball. Why do they play it?

It's as entertaining as the Oscars.

Eutaw St. Aggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: NBA All Star Game

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 7th, 2021, 10:25 pm

It's meant to be fun. It turned to a half court shooting contest at one point. And it raises a butt load for charity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 7th, 2021, 10:45 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 7th, 2021, 10:25 pm
It's meant to be fun. It turned to a half court shooting contest at one point. And it raises a butt load for charity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, it made 3 million for charities including scholarships to HBCs. Not bad for a game some players didn't even want played.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 8th, 2021, 12:27 pm

If the goal is to raise money for charities, there may be better ways to do that (like memorabilia auctions, etc.).

I think that rather than play this sham of a game, they should have a fan interaction weekend. Have shootarounds with fans, clinics, skills challenges, have the players make themselves available to fans and interact with them personally. I think this would go a long way in building loyalty to the league and interest in the product/players. If fans could go to an NBA city on All Star weekend knowing that they would have a chance to meet and talk to the NBA's best players (those that really care about that sort of thing), that would be great experience and something that young fans would not forget. Watching players yuck it up on the court and shoot 35-footers from the nosebleed seats in an arena isn't special.

How did they raise the money, by the way? Just through TV broadcasting rights?
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » March 8th, 2021, 12:46 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 12:27 pm
If the goal is to raise money for charities, there may be better ways to do that (like memorabilia auctions, etc.).

I think that rather than play this sham of a game, they should have a fan interaction weekend. Have shootarounds with fans, clinics, skills challenges, have the players make themselves available to fans and interact with them personally. I think this would go a long way in building loyalty to the league and interest in the product/players. If fans could go to an NBA city on All Star weekend knowing that they would have a chance to meet and talk to the NBA's best players (those that really care about that sort of thing), that would be great experience and something that young fans would not forget. Watching players yuck it up on the court and shoot 35-footers from the nosebleed seats in an arena isn't special.

How did they raise the money, by the way? Just through TV broadcasting rights?
They had companies that donated money for each dunk or 3 etc.

A lot of that fan interaction happens in a normal all-star weekend. But due to Covid this weekend wasn't great for fan interaction. Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid even got sent home before the all star game due to covid exposure. But normally, the players are all over the city wherever it is played.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm

The 2020 game was pretty intense due to the Elam rule being implemented. Game wasn't close enough this year for that to matter much.

But the last quarter of the 2020 game was intense basketball. Plus it is meant to be fun and raise money.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm
The 2020 game was pretty intense due to the Elam rule being implemented. Game wasn't close enough this year for that to matter much.

But the last quarter of the 2020 game was intense basketball. Plus it is meant to be fun and raise money.
Yeah I don't watch the all star game very often, but the end of the 2020 game was pretty fun.

As for the all star game in general, like I said I'm not the biggest fan, but it isn't something worth getting worked up over. It is a one time a year exhibition game with the NBA's most popular players that raises money for charity. It is also more fun when you're a kid. My friends and I would watch it together almost like it was another Super Bowl. Good times.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
Intermeddlerthegreendalegelf

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm

I just drool thinking about the scrimmages and games the 92 dream team had behind closed doors. they were said to be some of the most intense and greatest basketball ever played. you had the best of the best and laettner all bottled up and they had something to play for. it is a dream to have all the greats play and see what happens, but we can't get that with the current environment of sooo much money tied to contracts that no one wants to get hurt.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 1:18 pm

sam tingey wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm
I just drool thinking about the scrimmages and games the 92 dream team had behind closed doors. they were said to be some of the most intense and greatest basketball ever played. you had the best of the best and laettner all bottled up and they had something to play for. it is a dream to have all the greats play and see what happens, but we can't get that with the current environment of sooo much money tied to contracts that no one wants to get hurt.
You still have those games training for the Olympics and World Cup now. Paul George lost an entire season going balls to the wall in a Team USA scrimmage.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 8th, 2021, 1:23 pm

sam tingey wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Did you watch that "The Last Dance" documentary about Michael Jordan and the Bulls? They talk about those pickup games leading up to the '92 Olympics. They would have been fun to watch. They also talk about pickup games played in Los Angeles when MJ was out of basketball on his hiatus and filming the Space Jam movie for the day. Jordan invited a bunch of NBA players to come and play pickup games in the evenings after he was done filming. I thought it was curious to see Shawn Bradley playing in those games.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm

I still think the MLB All Star game is the only one that is somewhat competitive. Followed closely by NHL.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 1:24 pm
I still think the MLB All Star game is the only one that is somewhat competitive. Followed closely by NHL.
Baseball does have the best all star game. NFL has by far the worse.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 8th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 1:29 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Pete Rose ended Ray Fosse's career in the MLB All Star game. Pete, playing like Pete always did, went full on shoulder into Fosse's chest in a play at the plate to knock the ball out of Fosse's glove. That hit ended a career.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 1:32 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Pete Rose ended Ray Fosse's career in the MLB All Star game. Pete, playing like Pete always did, went full on shoulder into Fosse's chest in a play at the plate to knock the ball out of Fosse's glove. That hit ended a career.
And now Pete Rose is selling autographs at the Mandalay Bay in Vegas.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 8th, 2021, 1:51 pm

March 8th, 2021, 1:39 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
He should be selling hairstyle advice.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 1:51 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
He should be selling hairstyle advice.
That would probably be better than selling tips on how to live an honest life.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 10th, 2021, 9:40 am

Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Crazy, one of the last time's I was in Vegas he was at Caesars doing the same thing.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 10th, 2021, 11:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 10th, 2021, 9:40 am
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Crazy, one of the last time's I was in Vegas he was at Caesars doing the same thing.
Lol maybe he moves around and has different spots. I know he has a contract with someone in Vegas where he signs autographs a few times a week.

Locked Previous topicNext topic