Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 18th, 2021, 11:30 pm

Yeah, it will be interesting to see the moves the Jazz make this offseason. Snyder will be back, as will obviously Donovan and Rudy and Bojan. The Conley thing is the most interesting. Yes when he is 100%, he is worth the money. The problem is he has struggled with injuries for a while now and is going to be 34 by the start of next season. The Jazz desperately need some perimeter wing defenders. Spending all their money on a 34 year old injury prone point guard isn't where I would go.
Last edited by Aggie formerly in Hawaii on June 19th, 2021, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 19th, 2021, 12:10 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
June 18th, 2021, 11:10 pm
The Jazz kept trying to defend 5 perimeter players with 4 perimeter defenders (only one of whom is any good defensively). The Jazz kept trying to do what they did all year - feed them to Rudy near the rim. Well, the Clippers just happen to have the personnel to play 5 out offensively. They didn't really need to score at the rim because they always had wide open corner catch and shoot 3s, which are pretty much the holy grail shot in the NBA. No adjustments were ever made. That's on Quin.
And yet, they scored at the rim at will. And right over and around Gobert. He was neutered in this series. He couldn't do anything offensively, got beat to the rim and scored on repeatedly defensively, and could not begin to defend the three point shot.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 19th, 2021, 12:13 am

This is why i don't think Queta gets drafted or even plays in the NBA. The game has changed. They don't need a traditional center anymore more. Athletic 6'6" - 6'9" wings and a stretch 4 along with a bunch of shooters is all you need to win.

Eutaw St. Aggie

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 19th, 2021, 9:13 am

Rudy should have been taken off the floor. He was totally defeated, to the point that he looked lost on the floor. And, as posted that's on Quinn. I didn't see the Jazz during the season, and Rudy obviously can play. But how you can pick him as DPOY when his game is so limited?

Imagine Draymond Green instead of Rudy on the floor with the Jazz. Does the Jazz still lose that series?

FeartheFro

Holy Utah Jazz

Post by FeartheFro » June 19th, 2021, 10:11 am

He is the DPOY playing against a traditional team that can’t go 5 out. The jazz are going to see a lot of small ball next year and Quinn needs to adjust a hell of a lot better than he did last night. Gobert is so limited on the offensive end that you can’t exploit him against a smaller match-up and force teams to go big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 19th, 2021, 12:22 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
June 19th, 2021, 10:11 am
He is the DPOY playing against a traditional team that can’t go 5 out. The jazz are going to see a lot of small ball next year and Quinn needs to adjust a hell of a lot better than he did last night. Gobert is so limited on the offensive end that you can’t exploit him against a smaller match-up and force teams to go big.

He is not really limited offensively. He is one of the best pick and roll guys in the league. The problem is when teams can switch every pick with long athletic defenders and our perimeter players can't get him the ball on the roll. Yes, I get that he doesn't hit 3 pointers, but he is a huge part of the Jazz offense.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

FeartheFro

Holy Utah Jazz

Post by FeartheFro » June 19th, 2021, 12:28 pm

I understand what you are saying, but when is the last time the Jazz had him post up? Queta can post. Rudy is effective in the pick n roll, but he will never draw a double team posting up as that is just not part of his game. Ben Simmons is a huge part of Philliy’s offense but his “limitations” are being exposed, just as Rudy’s are.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 19th, 2021, 1:06 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
June 19th, 2021, 12:28 pm
I understand what you are saying, but when is the last time the Jazz had him post up? Queta can post. Rudy is effective in the pick n roll, but he will never draw a double team posting up as that is just not part of his game. Ben Simmons is a huge part of Philliy’s offense but his “limitations” are being exposed, just as Rudy’s are.

Nobody posts up in the NBA anymore. It isn't really a significant part of anyone's offense.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 22nd, 2021, 11:09 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 12:58 pm
slcagg wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 11:58 am
June 17th, 2021, 11:54 am
3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 11:49 am
June 17th, 2021, 9:30 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 7:54 am
June 17th, 2021, 1:11 am
Yossarian wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 12:45 am
At this point, Trae Young looks more valuable than Mitchell.
Mitchell had an incredible stretch before tonight. He has had an awesome playoff run. Yes the injury sucks, but you can't just tell your superstar to sit. It has to be his call and he isn't going to voluntarily miss a playoff game.
I never thought that Trae Young would translate to the NBA game, but boy was i wrong. He is a very good player and is incredible what he does with his size.
Yeah I thought Dallas robbed the Hawks when they did that draft day trade to get Luka, but that has been proven to be wrong. Sure Luka is an incredible player, but so is Trae Young dropping 30 a night with 11 assists against the 1 seed.
I'd still take Luka, but Trey Young is fantastic.
Yeah, it was a rare trade where both teams won by getting franchise superstars. I don't think either fanbase is upset at all with the trade.
Imagine passing on both and taking Ayton. I recall telling a friend of mine at the time who is a suns fan that they should draft luka.
True, although the kings blew it worse with bagley.
Ayton is at least a pretty good big who will probably make a few all star games.
Gotta bump this after tonight. Not that SLCAgg's point isn't 100% right. Obviously Luka and Young are the two best players from the 2018 draft, but credit to Ayton for having a great game tonight going 24/14 and hitting the game winner.

I like the Suns team, but it is unfair as a Jazz fan. The Jazz have been a steady decent franchise while the Suns have been hot garbage for a decade. Yet the Suns are probably going to win the championship after a 10 year playoff drought.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » June 23rd, 2021, 8:39 am

June 22nd, 2021, 11:09 pm
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Mitchell had an incredible stretch before tonight. He has had an awesome playoff run. Yes the injury sucks, but you can't just tell your superstar to sit. It has to be his call and he isn't going to voluntarily miss a playoff game.
I never thought that Trae Young would translate to the NBA game, but boy was i wrong. He is a very good player and is incredible what he does with his size.
Yeah I thought Dallas robbed the Hawks when they did that draft day trade to get Luka, but that has been proven to be wrong. Sure Luka is an incredible player, but so is Trae Young dropping 30 a night with 11 assists against the 1 seed.
Yeah, it was a rare trade where both teams won by getting franchise superstars. I don't think either fanbase is upset at all with the trade.
Imagine passing on both and taking Ayton. I recall telling a friend of mine at the time who is a suns fan that they should draft luka.
Ayton is at least a pretty good big who will probably make a few all star games.
Gotta bump this after tonight. Not that SLCAgg's point isn't 100% right. Obviously Luka and Young are the two best players from the 2018 draft, but credit to Ayton for having a great game tonight going 24/14 and hitting the game winner.

I like the Suns team, but it is unfair as a Jazz fan. The Jazz have been a steady decent franchise while the Suns have been hot garbage for a decade. Yet the Suns are probably going to win the championship after a 10 year playoff drought.
It’s all about matchups man, plus a little bit of luck. The Suns looked to be on their way out in the first round before the AD injury, now they’re the title favorites. Also helps that they were the only health team in the west.

Before the first round started, I felt that the only team in the west that could’ve stopped Utah from reaching the finals was the Clippers, and I still feel that way. Even with the Kawhi injury they never could figure out how to defend them.

Really really really wish Dallas could’ve closed them out when up 3-2.. but it is what it is.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 23rd, 2021, 8:44 am

slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Hey now.😁

You are absolutely right in that ayton is playing well

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 23rd, 2021, 9:23 am

slcagg wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 8:44 am
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

Hey now.😁

You are absolutely right in that ayton is playing well
Haha like I said, you were 100% right. The bump was just a credit to Ayton after he played well and made the game winner. He still isn't Luka.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 23rd, 2021, 9:25 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 8:39 am
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

It’s all about matchups man, plus a little bit of luck. The Suns looked to be on their way out in the first round before the AD injury, now they’re the title favorites. Also helps that they were the only health team in the west.

Before the first round started, I felt that the only team in the west that could’ve stopped Utah from reaching the finals was the Clippers, and I still feel that way. Even with the Kawhi injury they never could figure out how to defend them.

Really really really wish Dallas could’ve closed them out when up 3-2.. but it is what it is.
Oh totally. Even this series they have the Chris Paul thing, but the Clippers are without Kawhi so it more than evens itself out.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 23rd, 2021, 9:31 am

I still can't resolve in my mind how badly Rudy played v Clippers. It wasn't that he couldn't defend or score. He couldn't even rebound. Maybe the loss was obvious to the Jazz coach and he didn't want to lose and be questioned about why Rudy didn't play. Jazz fans (and I) called Paul George overrated?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 23rd, 2021, 10:03 am

The more I've thought about it the more I blame the outside defenders (everybody but Rudy) and Quin. On basically every possession, Rudy had to make the choice between allowing a dunk or allowing a corner three because absolutely nobody was staying in front of their man. And Quin did absolutely nothing to adjust.

Now, Rudy's inability to punish the small-ball lineup on the offensive end was a major problem as well, and that is more on his shoulders.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
brownjeansAggie formerly in HawaiiEl Sapo

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 23rd, 2021, 10:33 am

El Sapo wrote:
June 23rd, 2021, 9:31 am
I still can't resolve in my mind how badly Rudy played v Clippers. It wasn't that he couldn't defend or score. He couldn't even rebound. Maybe the loss was obvious to the Jazz coach and he didn't want to lose and be questioned about why Rudy didn't play. Jazz fans (and I) called Paul George overrated?
Rudy's poor play on D and Rebounding was a direct reflection of his teammates being terrible at staying in front of their man. He needs to be in the paint, or defending the pick and roll. Not so much because it's the only place he can play defense, but because the rest of the team can't stay in front of their man. If a team spreads Utah out and just challenges the Utah players to stop their dribble drive, it's a layup drill for the other team.
As for rebounding (FYI - Rudy averaged 11.6 rebounds per game vs the Clips), long shots mean long rebounds and Rudy is in the paint watching the ball sail over him. If Rudy's teammate matadors their guy, Rudy has to leave his guy to challenge the driver who just blew past Rudy's teammate. That means Rudy's guy is free to grab the offensive board.

Rudy's inability to do anything on offense is on Rudy and the coaches. There's no reason Rudy, an 8th-year NBA player, doesn't have one or two go-to moves on the block for absolutely owning a smaller defender. If Rudy can't punish an opponent for going small, he really can't play against a team that goes small.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii3rdGenAggieEl Sapo

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 30th, 2021, 9:33 pm

Phoenix (who will likely win the championship) will not play one series without an opposing teams star or one of their stars out injured.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 1st, 2021, 8:05 am

This year was likely the best chance the Jazz will ever have to win a Championship.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post (total 3):
2004AGaggieguy13brownjeans

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Locked Previous topicNext topic