Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 3rd, 2021, 7:31 pm

That was the worst review I have ever seen in all of sports. I'm not exaggerating.

How on earth could an honest person have come up with the decision they did? Seriously unconscionable.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 3rd, 2021, 7:40 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 7:31 pm
That was the worst review I have ever seen in all of sports. I'm not exaggerating.

How on earth could an honest person have come up with the decision they did? Seriously unconscionable.
What happened?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 3rd, 2021, 7:42 pm

Looking at the game tracker, Mitchell missed 9 straight shots in the last 3:30 of the fourth and the overtime period.

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 3rd, 2021, 7:45 pm

Supposedly there was a review that lost the game for the jazz. But I’m not sure what it was. Maybe a embiid 3 that should have been a 2?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 3rd, 2021, 7:49 pm

Conley missed a pretty easy floater at the regulation buzzer, and Mitchell completely melted down and was the anti-clutch, so I won't say the refs cost us the game, but man.... that has to be the worst officiated few minutes of basketball I have ever seen. Seriously. Ever. And I have have watched an awful lot of basketball. And it felt like EVERY SINGLE CALL went the 76ers way. That offensive foul call on Mitchell might be the worst call I have ever seen. The Embiid getting stuffed by the rim call was horrendous.

I'll be curious to see the last 2 minutes report.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

Yeah the officiating was blatantly one sided down the stretch. Terrible.

With that said, the Jazz defense has been garbage on this road trip. They have to get it cleaned up otherwise they are done in round 2. Also Mitchell needs to be more like Lebron than Kobe down the stretch and get his teammates involved when his shot isn't falling. When you have so many great shooters around you, you don't need to play unnecessary hero ball when you are having an off night.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 7:40 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:

What happened?
Jazz up 3 with 30 seconds left, Royce O'Neale gets a steal jumping out of bounds, gets the pass off to Donovan who is open for a dunk. Nobody within half the court.

They call out of bounds on Royce. Not that surprised, it looked close in real time. They then review it and it is clear as day Royce got the pass off before going out of bounds. Despite that they gave the Sixers the ball and Embiid hits a contested 3 to force overtime.

Honestly, the replay was so bad it's hard to believe the replay official wasn't straight up cheating.

Say what you want about OT, but the game is over if the Jazz get a 5 pt lead with less than 30 to go in regulation.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 3rd, 2021, 8:01 pm

It's not just Jazz fans either.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 3rd, 2021, 8:02 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 7:59 pm
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

What happened?
Jazz up 3 with 30 seconds left, Royce O'Neale gets a steal jumping out of bounds, gets the pass off to Donovan who is open for a dunk. Nobody within half the court.

They call out of bounds on Royce. Not that surprised, it looked close in real time. They then review it and it is clear as day Royce got the pass off before going out of bounds. Despite that they gave the Sixers the ball and Embiid hits a contested 3 to force overtime.

Honestly, the replay was so bad it's hard to believe the replay official wasn't straight up cheating.

Say what you want about OT, but the game is over if the Jazz get a 5 pt lead with less than 30 to go in regulation.
Check tony Jones Twitter timeline. Tony is pretty fair and he agrees with you.

Also Donovan is about to get fined.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 3rd, 2021, 8:02 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 7:49 pm
Conley missed a pretty easy floater at the regulation buzzer, and Mitchell completely melted down and was the anti-clutch, so I won't say the refs cost us the game, but man.... that has to be the worst officiated few minutes of basketball I have ever seen. Seriously. Ever. And I have have watched an awful lot of basketball. And it felt like EVERY SINGLE CALL went the 76ers way. That offensive foul call on Mitchell might be the worst call I have ever seen. The Embiid getting stuffed by the rim call was horrendous.

I'll be curious to see the last 2 minutes report.
L2M report is horse (I can't express myself without swearing) and always has been. I'll be completely floored if they admit more than 1 mistake, and that would be going quite a ways for them.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » March 3rd, 2021, 8:06 pm

That game is why I hate the nba refs. Refs ruin basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 3rd, 2021, 8:08 pm

I saw a replay of the O'Neale save that showed the ball hitting the official's leg before O'Neale saved it. Unfortunately, I think that one might have actually been the right call.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 3rd, 2021, 8:09 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:02 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

What happened?

Good. That offensive foul call was egregious.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 3rd, 2021, 8:19 pm

2004AG wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:06 pm
That game is why I hate the nba refs. Refs ruin basketball

They definitely changed the outcome tonight. Jazz made some bad mistakes and played poor d, but it is over in regulation with the correct officiating.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 3rd, 2021, 8:20 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:09 pm
slcagg wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:02 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
slcagg wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

What happened?

Good. That offensive foul call was egregious.
Yeah it is not the end of the world to get thrown out every now and then when you are in the right.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 3rd, 2021, 8:24 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 8:08 pm
I saw a replay of the O'Neale save that showed the ball hitting the official's leg before O'Neale saved it. Unfortunately, I think that one might have actually been the right call.
The NBA couldn't care less. The goal is money, not fair play. Usually those two things align, but they have absolutely no qualm picking the first when they are at odds.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 3rd, 2021, 9:41 pm

In a way, I'm glad the game and first half of the season ended like this. The Jazz are going to come out of the break angry and focused.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 3rd, 2021, 9:53 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 3rd, 2021, 9:41 pm
In a way, I'm glad the game and first half of the season ended like this. The Jazz are going to come out of the break angry and focused.
Yeah it was a kick in the junk. They need to play better defense. This road trip was embarrassing on that side of the ball.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
brownjeans3rdGenAggieMr. Sneelock

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 4th, 2021, 9:54 am

So after stewing on it last night, I have come to these conclusions:

The reasons the Jazz lost, in order of importance:

1. Donovan Mitchell missed his last 10 shots and melted down.
2. Mike Conley missed a good look in the paint at the end of regulation that I would expect him to hit more often than not.
3. The Jazz couldn't stop Embiid in regulation, and couldn't stop Harris in OT.
4. Embiid hit a monster clutch 3 at the end of regulation.
5. The Refs absolutely blew several key calls down the stretch and in overtime.

I won't say the refs cost the Jazz the game, because I think the Jazz had multiple opportunities to win despite that.

Now, that disclaimer having been given, man, the officiating down the stretch was really bad. Some of the worst calls I have ever seen, especially that offensive foul call on Mitchell. Give Mitchell 2 free throws there, and that might have ended the game. I mean, how in holy hell is this a foul on Mitchell?

This one is pretty bad too. The first shot is a clean block by Embiid, but on the second shot, Embiid clearly hits Mitchell's arm, sending the shot 2 feet wide right.

This one, while not quite as egregious in my mind should have also been called a foul, putting Conley at the line.

There was another one late in the 4th, but I can't find the video where Joel Embiid goes into full linebacker mode and bowls over Gobert (I think) and the foul is called on Gobert. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought at the time.

It has been shown by actual data from the NBA that the Jazz get the worst whistle in the league. They have for years. Most small market teams do. This is unacceptable and needs to be addressed.

Edit:

Here's another couple. Clarkson is pretty clearly fouled on the first one, and on the second, how is this not a foul on Curry?

Last edited by Mr. Sneelock on March 4th, 2021, 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 4th, 2021, 10:00 am

Does anyone have the Royce call?

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 4th, 2021, 11:44 am

This is nothing new. It's why I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago. It's completely fixed for large market teams. Good business decision for the NBA, bad for anyone who truly cares about the sanctity of sport.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
NVAggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 4th, 2021, 11:54 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 11:44 am
This is nothing new. It's why I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago. It's completely fixed for large market teams. Good business decision for the NBA, bad for anyone who truly cares about the sanctity of sport.
see Sacramento Kings in late 90s and early 2000s. That is when the NBA lost me.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 4th, 2021, 12:48 pm

sam tingey wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 11:54 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I mean the 2002 WCF were bad, but other than that the Kings were not serious title contenders. There have certainly been badly officiated games and the 2006 Finals were horribly officiated with Dwade getting a million free throws, but the reality is there is bad officiating everywhere. College basketball has a ton of terrible officiating. The NFL has had horrible officiating even costing the Saints a trip to the Super Bowl two years ago. Unfortunately until we get Robot refs, there will be bad officiating.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 4th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 12:48 pm
sam tingey wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
I mean the 2002 WCF were bad, but other than that the Kings were not serious title contenders. There have certainly been badly officiated games and the 2006 Finals were horribly officiated with Dwade getting a million free throws, but the reality is there is bad officiating everywhere. College basketball has a ton of terrible officiating. The NFL has had horrible officiating even costing the Saints a trip to the Super Bowl two years ago. Unfortunately until we get Robot refs, there will be bad officiating.
You don’t believe there is preferential treatment by the refs for certain stars in the nba? To me and just my opinion it is more apparent in the nba than any other league. But again maybe that is just me cheering on the jazz over the years.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 4th, 2021, 1:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 1:05 pm
March 4th, 2021, 12:48 pm
sam tingey wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
You don’t believe there is preferential treatment by the refs for certain stars in the nba? To me and just my opinion it is more apparent in the nba than any other league. But again maybe that is just me cheering on the jazz over the years.
Sure, stars gets calls that lesser players don't get although I don't think that is just the NBA. If you google "Tom Brady referees' you will see a bunch of stories of Brady getting preferential treatment.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » March 4th, 2021, 1:29 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:This is nothing new. It's why I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago. It's completely fixed for large market teams. Good business decision for the NBA, bad for anyone who truly cares about the sanctity of sport.
I don't think it's rigged by leagues but they're more desirable for big free agents. Spurs, thunder, cabs, heat, bucks are all in bottom half of league for market size and have done well. Warriors aren't even top 10 in market size. Raptors oddly are number 6.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 4th, 2021, 1:44 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2021, 1:29 pm
aceofspadeskb wrote:This is nothing new. It's why I stopped watching the NBA about 20 years ago. It's completely fixed for large market teams. Good business decision for the NBA, bad for anyone who truly cares about the sanctity of sport.
I don't think it's rigged by leagues but they're more desirable for big free agents. Spurs, thunder, cabs, heat, bucks are all in bottom half of league for market size and have done well. Warriors aren't even top 10 in market size. Raptors oddly are number 6.

And the Spurs during their heyday were bad for ratings. It was a huge drop off as far as finals ratings when they made the finals instead of the Lakers during the 00s. They also benefitted from some very favorable calls especially during their series with the Suns. If the NBA was fixing games, they wouldn't be fixing games for the Spurs.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 5th, 2021, 10:12 pm

The Jazz will have 3 all stars now with Conley replacing Booker plus Quin Snyder will be coaching Team Lebron on Sunday. I'm not a big fan of the all star game in general, but this is the most represented the Jazz have ever been at an all star game.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 6th, 2021, 5:58 pm

Good for Conley.

Weird that Mitchell and Gobert were picked last. I am glad though, that is exactly the kind of thing that will motivate guys.

Also, that is a stupid way to pick teams. What is wrong with East vs West? Or maybe USA vs International or something. Bit picking players playground style? Stupid.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 6th, 2021, 6:08 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
March 6th, 2021, 5:58 pm
Good for Conley.

Weird that Mitchell and Gobert were picked last. I am glad though, that is exactly the kind of thing that will motivate guys.

Also, that is a stupid way to pick teams. What is wrong with East vs West? Or maybe USA vs International or something. Bit picking players playground style? Stupid.
They are trying to do whatever they can to make the game more relevant. It is usually pretty unwatchable. I do like how they are ending the game with the elam ending. That is the only good change. Agree that the other changes are pointless and unnecessary and makes it look like it is 4th graders at recess.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 6th, 2021, 8:05 pm

March 6th, 2021, 6:08 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Good for Conley.

They are trying to do whatever they can to make the game more relevant. It is usually pretty unwatchable. I do like how they are ending the game with the elam ending. That is the only good change. Agree that the other changes are pointless and unnecessary and makes it look like it is 4th graders at recess.
What they really need to do is stop picking the same number from each conference. Just pick the top 30 players. It's stupid that they require a certain number from each conference.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 6th, 2021, 9:37 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
March 6th, 2021, 8:05 pm
March 6th, 2021, 6:08 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
Good for Conley.

What they really need to do is stop picking the same number from each conference. Just pick the top 30 players. It's stupid that they require a certain number from each conference.
I'm surprised they don't just take the top 24 at this point since they don't play traditional west vs east anymore.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 15th, 2021, 9:12 pm

So they go 23 and 5 and now 5 and 5?

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 15th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Yeah, definitely in a slump

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 16th, 2021, 12:54 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 15th, 2021, 9:12 pm
So they go 23 and 5 and now 5 and 5?
Jazz came through tonight in the 4th quarter. Everytime Boston made a run, Jazz would hit a big 3 or make a key stop. Let's keep it going in Washington.

Locked Previous topicNext topic