Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Yossarian

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by Yossarian » June 4th, 2021, 9:33 pm

I have not seen the Clippers play for at least two years, but I am watching the fourth quarter here of game 6 against the Mavericks. I would think the Jazz want no part of a series with the Clippers. I would much rather play Dallas.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 4th, 2021, 10:44 pm

Yeah I'd rather go up against the Mavs defense than the Clippers D. Kawhi for as much as I'm critical of him is a seasoned playoff performer as we saw tonight.

Will the Clippers finally break the streak of nobody being able to win at home and win in game 7?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » June 5th, 2021, 11:00 am

USUaggie wrote:
CheeseheadTom wrote:Anyone know how to watch the Jazz game tonight?
hehestreams.com

Free trial or pay $15 to get the rest of the playoffs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I used my VPN to buy an nba league pass subscription for $1/month by connecting to India first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 6th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Dear Mr. George,

When you go for a dunk up 13 with ~30 seconds left, you have a hard foul coming to you.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 7th, 2021, 8:40 am

Not that impressed with either Mavs or the Clips although I did get a little USU BB vibe watching the Mavs. Sam plays a little like Luka, and they had the big guy at center. Clips are one dimensional with Leonard. He's a gift and a curse. Jazz seems to have the roster to deal with him. Can he shut down the Jazz? Nope, Jazz has too many scorers. Should be another 5 game series win for the Jazz

Surprised how much I enjoyed watching the Hawks v 76ers. First time seeing Trae Young and he's impressive. The game looks more physical than I'm used to seeing but CMON MAN! Hawks scored like 75? points in the first half? So it might look rougher, but the defense isn't better
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 7th, 2021, 9:49 am

I think the Jazz are a better team than the Clippers. Kawhi Leonard will be a problem, but the Jazz present some massive matchup problems for the Clippers. The Clips can play the perimeter switching style of defense that has given the Jazz shooters problems in the past, but in order to do that, they will have to go small. And they absolutely do not have an inside presence that can handle Gobert on the pick and roll at all. When the Rockets did it so successfully against the Jazz a couple of years ago, they had Clint Capela in the middle, and the Jazz didn't have nearly the shooters that they do now. They key for the Jazz will be to run and get early transition buckets before the Clippers can get set defensively, and where that isn't possible, exploiting the pick and roll with Gobert. Look for Rudy to have a monster series.

Also, the Clippers are coming off a hard-fought series where Leonard and George played over 40 minutes per game. That is a huge load, and now they have to turn around 2 days later and play at altitude. The Jazz are well-rested and have a much deeper bench.

I think the Jazz win this series, but it will be competitive for sure.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 7th, 2021, 9:54 am

El Sapo wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 8:40 am
Not that impressed with either Mavs or the Clips although I did get a little USU BB vibe watching the Mavs. Sam plays a little like Luka, and they had the big guy at center. Clips are one dimensional with Leonard. He's a gift and a curse. Jazz seems to have the roster to deal with him. Can he shut down the Jazz? Nope, Jazz has too many scorers. Should be another 5 game series win for the Jazz

Surprised how much I enjoyed watching the Hawks v 76ers. First time seeing Trae Young and he's impressive. The game looks more physical than I'm used to seeing but CMON MAN! Hawks scored like 75? points in the first half? So it might look rougher, but the defense isn't better
I'd be surprised if it only goes 5 games. They aren't one dimensional with Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. The Clippers are the only team other than Brooklyn that have two guys that have averaged over 23 points a game this year that are in the playoffs. Reggie Jackson and Marcus Morris can also score. Their defense is also solid. Jazz are the better team and should win, but don't expect another easy series like Memphis was.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
El Sapo

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 7th, 2021, 10:23 am

If Conley is out with the hamstring issue for very long, it's a problem.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 7th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 9:54 am
El Sapo wrote:

I'd be surprised if it only goes 5 games. They aren't one dimensional with Paul George and Kawhi Leonard. The Clippers are the only team other than Brooklyn that have two guys that have averaged over 23 points a game this year that are in the playoffs. Reggie Jackson and Marcus Morris can also score. Their defense is also solid. Jazz are the better team and should win, but don't expect another easy series like Memphis was.
Agree it's a little overconfident especially if Conley isn't 100%. I know the Clips have George but down the stretch it's Leonard who takes control. I've never really seen George play like a superstar. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen him do it.

GUS

Post by GUS » June 7th, 2021, 5:22 pm

I've been surprised to see how well Paul George has done in the NBA after watching him get dominated in the Spectrum.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
El Sapo

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 7th, 2021, 6:56 pm

GUS wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 5:22 pm
I've been surprised to see how well Paul George has done in the NBA after watching him get dominated in the Spectrum.
One of my favorite spectrum memories.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 7th, 2021, 8:56 pm

El Sapo wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 3:05 pm
June 7th, 2021, 9:54 am
El Sapo wrote:

Agree it's a little overconfident especially if Conley isn't 100%. I know the Clips have George but down the stretch it's Leonard who takes control. I've never really seen George play like a superstar. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I just haven't seen him do it.
I wouldn't call him a superstar, but he is one of the best second options in the league. If your second best player is a 23/6/5 guy with a 20 PER and shoots over 40% from 3, that is a good spot to be in. Jazz will be challenged far more this round after an easy first round.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 8th, 2021, 8:49 am

It's looking like it may not matter who comes out of the West. The Nets are embarrassing the Bucks and doing it without Harden.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 8th, 2021, 9:42 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 8:49 am
It's looking like it may not matter who comes out of the West. The Nets are embarrassing the Bucks and doing it without Harden.
Sure, nobody should beat the Nets especially if the Beard returns. That is about as good of a Big 3 that has ever existed. I'd take that big 3 over the Heat big 3 since Dwade often was hurt and Bosh was overrated. Plus you got guys like Joe Harris and Mike James who can really fill it plus all of a sudden Blake Griffin wants to play basketball after melting away in Detroit.

Jazz would be heavy underdogs against them, but I'd be very happy to see the Jazz make the finals for the first time in 23 years. Also Brooklyn isn't a guarantee to be healthy. The Beard is out now and Durant and Kyrie have both had injury issues this year.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 8th, 2021, 10:58 pm

Rudy and Donovan are legit stars. Donovan won that game on offense and Rudy with the game winning block yet again.

Also, big win without their third All-Star.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 8th, 2021, 11:01 pm

Oh. My. Goodness.

What a game. Donovan Mitchell is unreal.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 8th, 2021, 11:30 pm

Mitchell was awesome as usual. That spark at the beginning of the second half was badly needed and amazing to watch. If there was a playoff mvp, he would have it. 5-0 when he has played along with scoring 32 a game.

Gotta keep it going though. Kawhi is going to find his groove at some point and George and Morris will not shoot this poorly every game.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 9th, 2021, 8:43 am

Great game. Seems like the Jazz could pass the ball around more, seems like they do better after a few passes, but that will also increase turnovers. Clippers centers are shockingly effective. Rudy have another gear?

Mitchel went to sleep on that series right at the end? That could have been a horrific mistake.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 9th, 2021, 9:26 am

El Sapo wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 8:43 am
Great game. Seems like the Jazz could pass the ball around more, seems like they do better after a few passes, but that will also increase turnovers. Clippers centers are shockingly effective. Rudy have another gear?

Mitchel went to sleep on that series right at the end? That could have been a horrific mistake.
Yeah he made a bad turnover and took a dumb shot. He was so special before that, I'm not too worried about it. Luckily Rudy and the Jazz played great d on the final series. The Jazz have good ball movement other than Jordan Clarkson, but there were times his 3 point shooting was the only thing keeping them afloat last night. Snyder lets him play with a ton of freedom. Clarkson isn't a leader or a guy you should build around as we saw in LA and Cleveland, but he sure can be awesome coming off the bench.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » June 9th, 2021, 10:16 am

Last night was my first time going to a playoff game and it was definitely one of the coolest sporting experiences I've been to. Crazy finish and the arena couldn't be louder. Exciting to see sports becoming more 'normal' again.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieMr. SneelockAggie formerly in HawaiiIntermeddler

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » June 9th, 2021, 3:03 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 10:16 am
Last night was my first time going to a playoff game and it was definitely one of the coolest sporting experiences I've been to. Crazy finish and the arena couldn't be louder. Exciting to see sports becoming more 'normal' again.
It was a blast. Best environment there since Game 6 against OKC a few years ago. We seemed dead in the water in the first half. We have never had a guy like Donovan.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 3:03 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
It was a blast. Best environment there since Game 6 against OKC a few years ago. We seemed dead in the water in the first half. We have never had a guy like Donovan.
That is awesome. If the Jazz make the finals, I will be in Utah for at least one game, hopefully 2.

And yeah Mitchell is the real deal. I never bought into the many fake superstars they tried to sell us on post-Malone and Stockton whether it was AK-47, Dwill, Boozer, Jefferson, Millsap, Hayward, etc. . . A few of them had some good years in Utah, but as far as leaders that could take you to the finals, they weren't it. We have one now and a great team around him.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » June 9th, 2021, 11:51 pm

June 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:
That is awesome. If the Jazz make the finals, I will be in Utah for at least one game, hopefully 2.

And yeah Mitchell is the real deal. I never bought into the many fake superstars they tried to sell us on post-Malone and Stockton whether it was AK-47, Dwill, Boozer, Jefferson, Millsap, Hayward, etc. . . A few of them had some good years in Utah, but as far as leaders that could take you to the finals, they weren't it. We have one now and a great team around him.
AK-47 was amazing, but he was used wrong, in my opinion. His game leant itself toward being a glue guy/scrapper; a guy that can average 15 a game without ever being the offensive final point. They tried to make him a polished first option instead.

Aggies All the Way!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 10th, 2021, 7:31 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 11:51 pm
June 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
SwaggieAggie wrote:

AK-47 was amazing, but he was used wrong, in my opinion. His game leant itself toward being a glue guy/scrapper; a guy that can average 15 a game without ever being the offensive final point. They tried to make him a polished first option instead.
The closest thing he was to a first option was during the 03-04 and 04-05 seasons. There was mixed results. 03-04 he was an all star and although the Jazz missed the playoffs, they actually massively overachieved having a winning season when some were predicting a historically bad season. 04-05 they sucked, but he missed half the season as did Boozer. When he played, he played pretty well. I actually think he failed as a role player the few years after that when it was Dwill/Boozer's team. Had he lived up to his contract during 06-10, the Jazz could have really made a run. His defense really fell off and he was a no show in a few big playoff series.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 10th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Fun first half as a jazz fan. Great close out the last couple of mins of the half.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 10th, 2021, 11:30 pm

2 down, 2 to go.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 10th, 2021, 11:32 pm

June 10th, 2021, 11:30 pm
2 down, 2 to go.
They are beat up. They need Conley back to help take away some of the beating.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » June 11th, 2021, 8:24 am

I was super impressed how well Bogdanovich did on Kawhi Leonard. He's not known for being a great defender, but did a really good job using his size to bother Leonard.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
slcagg

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 11th, 2021, 9:48 am

3rdGenAggie wrote:
June 11th, 2021, 8:24 am
I was super impressed how well Bogdanovich did on Kawhi Leonard. He's not known for being a great defender, but did a really good job using his size to bother Leonard.
I saw a funny nickname for Bojan after his defensive performance last night:

Bojan Lockdownab*tch

It may be totally insensitive, sexist, socially unwoke, racist, and juvenile of me, but I chuckled.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOAggie formerly in Hawaii3rdGenAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

GUS

Post by GUS » June 11th, 2021, 9:49 am

The Jazz - Clippers series has been entertaining.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 11th, 2021, 10:10 am

The narrative all along has been that the Clippers have more top-end talent than the Jazz. I'm just going to say it. The Jazz have the two best players on the floor right now, and four of the top 5. Come at me.

Would you trade Donovan Mitchell for Kawhi Leonard right now? I wouldn't.
Would you trade Rudy Gobert for Paul George right now? I wouldn't.
Would you trade Rudy Gobert for Kawhi Leonard? A little tougher, but I would say no.

My ranking of players in this series:
1. Donovan Mitchell
2. Rudy Gobert
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Bojan Bogdanovich
5. Jordan Clarkson
6. Paul George

Anyone want to argue?

And we still haven't seen Mike Conley.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post (total 2):
3rdGenAggieaggies22

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 11th, 2021, 10:17 am

The top playoff ppg scorers in NBA history are:

1. Michael Jordan 33.4
2. Allen Iverson 29.7
3. Kevin Durant 29.2
4. Jerry West 29.1
5. LeBron James 28.6
6. Donovan Mitchell 28.4

I not only wouldn't trade Mitchell for anyone on the Clippers, I don't think I'd trade him for anyone in the league right now.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 11th, 2021, 10:24 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:The narrative all along has been that the Clippers have more top-end talent than the Jazz. I'm just going to say it. The Jazz have the two best players on the floor right now, and four of the top 5. Come at me.

Would you trade Donovan Mitchell for Kawhi Leonard right now? I wouldn't.
Would you trade Rudy Gobert for Paul George right now? I wouldn't.
Would you trade Rudy Gobert for Kawhi Leonard? A little tougher, but I would say no.

My ranking of players in this series:
1. Donovan Mitchell
2. Rudy Gobert
3. Kawhi Leonard
4. Bojan Bogdanovich
5. Jordan Clarkson
6. Paul George

Anyone want to argue?

And we still haven't seen Mike Conley.
Normally I enjoy arguing with you, but not on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » June 11th, 2021, 10:29 am

June 11th, 2021, 10:17 am
The top playoff ppg scorers in NBA history are:

1. Michael Jordan 33.4
2. Allen Iverson 29.7
3. Kevin Durant 29.2
4. Jerry West 29.1
5. LeBron James 28.6
6. Donovan Mitchell 28.4

I not only wouldn't trade Mitchell for anyone on the Clippers, I don't think I'd trade him for anyone in the league right now.
Mitchell has a whole other gear for the playoffs. It is incredible.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 11th, 2021, 10:30 am

Where would you guys rank Donovan as players in the nba? Top 15? Top 10? Top 20?

Locked Previous topicNext topic