Holy Utah Jazz

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
Mr. Sneelock

Re: Holy Utah Jazz

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 20th, 2021, 4:17 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 4:06 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 2:40 pm
3rdGenAggie wrote:
May 20th, 2021, 12:08 pm
For the Jazz to get to the finals, they'll very likely have to go through the Warriors, Clippers, then Lakers. Has there ever been a more difficult path?
Honestly, the Warriors aren't that good and shouldn't be a big problem. Steph Curry is unbelievable, but there is a serious drop off after that. Wiggins occasionally has big nights, but no Jazz fan should be scared of Andrew Wiggins.

As for toughest test to the finals, the 98 Jazz had a pretty tough stretch and passed it well. Beat the Rockets with their big 3 of Sir Charles, Hakeem the Dream and Clyde the Glyde, then beat the Spurs with Duncan and Robinson, then swept a Laker team that had 4 all stars on it. (The famous Nick Van Exel 1! 2! 3! Cancun! series)
I've bought into Locke's fawning over Curry and the Warriors too much. :lol: The way that guy talks, you'd think there's an outside chance Curry could beat the Jazz 1 on 5.
Curry is great. Draymond Green is a good defender and Wiggins can be good in stretches, but they are not deep at all. Their regular season record doesn't lie.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » May 21st, 2021, 3:06 pm

No matter how good or bad the Warriors are as a whole I am still rooting for the Grizzlies tonight.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » May 21st, 2021, 3:39 pm

TrueBlueFan wrote:No matter how good or bad the Warriors are as a whole I am still rooting for the Grizzlies tonight.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 21st, 2021, 9:55 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 3:39 pm
TrueBlueFan wrote:No matter how good or bad the Warriors are as a whole I am still rooting for the Grizzlies tonight.

What a game. Dont really think the grizz are an easier out but it should be a 5 game series regardless. Golden state had the superstar, but an extremely flawed roster.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 21st, 2021, 10:00 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 9:55 pm
FeartheFro wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 3:39 pm

What a game. Dont really think the grizz are an easier out but it should be a 5 game series regardless. Golden state had the superstar, but an extremely flawed roster.
Refs will be a lot more consistent without green and curry.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 21st, 2021, 10:05 pm

Ja Morant is younger than Steven Ashworth haha.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 21st, 2021, 11:00 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 10:05 pm
Ja Morant is younger than Steven Ashworth haha.
And probably even less recruited coming out of high school.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 22nd, 2021, 8:47 am

I like the Grizz. They are very young, but they are tough and they play hard. Ja Morant is very good, but not as good as Mitchell or Conley (at least not yet). Valenciunas (sp?) is big and strong, but will be completely neutralized by Gobert. The Grizz match up horribly with the Jazz. They don't shoot the 3 particularly well, and rely on scoring a lot at the rim. They also don't have the defenders necessary to play the switching defense that gives the Jazz offense problems. I expect a 5 gamer.
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » May 22nd, 2021, 2:44 pm

Is there room on the Jazz bandwagon for a defeated and humbled Warriors fan?

I got caught up in the Warriors run to the play-in games. It's kind of a sad situation. Curry is the only legit weapon, but he plays like the game is interfering with his real job. Looks uninterested at times and is sloppy as heck in the crunch. The long shots are fun when he makes them, but not so pretty when the other guys are standing around or don't have time to get into position. He'll go off scoring wise but at the end of games, teams go right at him. He's a huge liability on defense. Morant embarased him last night and the Laker guard did the same thing a few days earlier. Heck, LeBronisdone shot the game winner over him. If teams could hold their nerve and just play solid? The Warriors would give the game away with turnovers and unnecessary fouls. Unable to inbound the ball in critical moments.

WTF? they left Oakland for SF, and now they wear Oakland jerseys?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 22nd, 2021, 4:08 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 2:44 pm

I got caught up in the Warriors run to the play-in games. It's kind of a sad situation. Curry is the only legit weapon, but he plays like the game is interfering with his real job. Looks uninterested at times and is sloppy as heck in the crunch. The long shots are fun when he makes them, but not so pretty when the other guys are standing around or don't have time to get into position. He'll go off scoring wise but at the end of games, teams go right at him. He's a huge liability on defense. Morant embarased him last night and the Laker guard did the same thing a few days earlier. Heck, LeBronisdone shot the game winner over him. If teams could hold their nerve and just play solid? The Warriors would give the game away with turnovers and unnecessary fouls. Unable to inbound the ball in critical moments.

There's always room on the bandwagon.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 22nd, 2021, 4:42 pm

There is always room on the Jazz bandwagon except for that clown that used to hijack all Jazz threads last year to slander the players with zero facts behind him, but thankfully he doesn't post on this board anymore.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 22nd, 2021, 4:47 pm

El Sapo wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 2:44 pm

Yeah people have pretty much given Curry a pass for the Warriors struggles this year including their loss last night. And while he was special finishing around the rim and obviously the deadliest shooter in the league, his turnovers were really bad. He had 7 turnovers last night and many of them were unforced errors. His postgame acting like they exceeded expectations this year was pretty funny. You could certainly argue they didn't underachieve with the injury to not just Klay, but Wiseman and Oubre, but give me a break by acting like being the 8 seed and losing in the play in was "proving the doubters wrong."

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 22nd, 2021, 5:11 pm

How about Dallas? People had pretty much just penciled in the Clippers as round 1 winners, but Luka gets a triple double and steals one in LA. That series could go either way. The Clippers have been massive pretenders the last two years and there is no doubt who the best player on the court is.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 22nd, 2021, 9:39 pm

The Clippers are cursed.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 22nd, 2021, 9:45 pm

Last year the Clippers rumor mill was that there was special pandering to the two stars that caused some division in the locker room. They changed coaches, but I don't think the core problem changed at all. I think Leonard wants to be treated special more than he wants to win. That's a problem.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 22nd, 2021, 10:41 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 9:45 pm
Last year the Clippers rumor mill was that there was special pandering to the two stars that caused some division in the locker room. They changed coaches, but I don't think the core problem changed at all. I think Leonard wants to be treated special more than he wants to win. That's a problem.
He very much gives off that vibe.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 22nd, 2021, 11:32 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Oh my most hated player is Kawhi Leonard. His load management nonsense is terrible for the league. He also gets way too much credit for his Toronto title. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player, but they went 17-5 without him as he sat out a 1/4 of the season. They then were the 2 seed in the East last year with pretty much the same team minus Kawhi. It was a great team. The talk that he showed up and singlehandedly carried Toronto to a title was a slap in the face to Kyle Lowry, Pascal Siakam and the rest of that team. It was also funny how they basically crowned the Clippers the champs last year because of Kawhi before the season started. Doc Rivers was unfairly scapegoated after Kawhi and George choked against the Nuggets.

Kawhi is a great player, but also overrated as some great winner. He was basically a role player on the 2014 Spurs title team too yet is treated like he was their main star.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
brownjeansslcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 23rd, 2021, 8:33 am

brownjeans wrote:
Seems like a consistent theme there dating back to Chris Paul, Blake Griffin drama.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 23rd, 2021, 10:19 pm

Clearly not ready to play with every-possession-counts intensity tonight. Hope they realize it's the playoffs before next game.
It's like they thought they could win at any time, just walking through most the game. I really don't understand that.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 23rd, 2021, 10:42 pm

That game was straight hot garbage from the Jazz.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
brownjeans

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » May 23rd, 2021, 11:05 pm

We will be fine. The Grizzlies played just about their best game this season and the Jazz had their worst shooting night. The Jazz will win the series. It would be nice to have Donovan back.
These users thanked the author TrueBlueFan for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 24th, 2021, 12:04 am

I was at Game 1 and there was a weird vibe the whole night. Like the crowd didn’t know how to act after so long away.

Part of me is encouraged that in a game we didn’t have Donovan, Rudy fouled out, Clarkson went 0-8 from 3, Conley in foul trouble, Memphis taking 17 more shots, and them getting a career night from Brooks, we had a chance to win.

Downside is this is exactly the type of game Jazz skeptics think we can’t win and they might be right. Memphis was extremely physical and we let it get to us and teams that are long and physical and switch can stifle our D. I think with Donovan we have someone that can overcome those defenses but I don’t think I’d describe any of the Snyder Jazz teams as tough or physical (maybe the one that beat OKC in 2018). They’ll need to be a lot better and respond to physical play.

Favors was great. Vintage performance from him. We lose by 20 if Tony Bradley were playing the backup center minutes.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » May 24th, 2021, 8:02 am

I just want Joe Ingles to clothesline Brooks first play of game 2.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 24th, 2021, 8:56 am

The haaaaaate the mean mugging fad going on in the NBA. Brooks appears to really, really love it.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » May 24th, 2021, 10:06 am

That game was a (I can't express myself without swearing) show.

And I am bugged by the decision to shelve Donovan Mitchell. He said he was ready to go and has no pain, and the game plan included him. All of his teammates thought he would play. IT IS THE FREAKING PLAYOFFS! THIS IS WHY WE PLAY ALL YEAR.
3rdGenAggie

Formerly TulsAGGIE

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 24th, 2021, 10:37 am

Agreed completely. Frustrating that they fought all year to get home court advantage and give it up for this series in the first game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 24th, 2021, 11:54 am

The Jazz are a flawed team that will not go very far this post season.

3rdGenAggie

Post by 3rdGenAggie » May 24th, 2021, 12:15 pm

NVAggie wrote:
May 24th, 2021, 11:54 am

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 24th, 2021, 2:18 pm

NVAggie wrote:
Is there a team that isn't flawed though?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 24th, 2021, 5:38 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 24th, 2021, 2:18 pm
NVAggie wrote:
Is there a team that isn't flawed though?
Every team in the West has their flaws. Sure, the Jazz could lose in the second round, but the Clippers and Mavs are both very flawed teams who the Jazz should beat. Making the WCF or the Finals wouldn't fit the definition of not going far.

I wouldn't overreact to one game where the Jazz didn't have their star.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » May 26th, 2021, 12:28 pm

When do the Jazz play next?

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » May 26th, 2021, 12:57 pm

They really didn't play the other night so I guess they will start tonight.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 2):
brownjeans3rdGenAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » May 26th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 26th, 2021, 12:28 pm
When do the Jazz play next?
Tonight. I see a comfortable Jazz win.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » May 26th, 2021, 11:19 pm

Totally underestimated this Memphis team. Jazz shot lights out and Memphis still wouldn’t go away. Gonna be a tough next few games

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » May 26th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Dillon Brooks has a face even his mother would enjoy punching...that is one annoying human.

That said Morant is phenomenal and will be tough to deal with. I see the Jazz winning the series in six as Memphis will have a hard time defending well enough to win the series with all the weapons the Jazz possess.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Locked Previous topicNext topic